Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm a little surprised it didn't trip those laws saying you can't put Santa on beer bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Chilling in my study, sipping a gin & Code Red, reading the Long Halloween oversized hardcover; wearing a top hat, monocle, ThinkGeek t-shirt, and an unaltered off-the-rack suit. Chuckling at a bon mot from the Dark Knight Detective, I pick up my CyanogenMod-flashed Moto X and check how my bitcoin holdings are doing.

I get my manservant to read my comics for me. Then write scathing posts about said comics on the forum Batman's Shameful Secret.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
One of my desk's legs gave up last week and I decided to have a bit of fun replacing the leg, so I bought and stacked every volume of Astonishing X-Men under the former leg. Twice.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Len posted:

I noticed Deadpool has ads plastered on Mikes Hard. I wasn't aware movies could advertise that way until today.

They got Stormtroopers on Pop Chips too

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Squizzle posted:

I mean, much love to TG and our nerd-kin there, and the many fine posts they daily contribute to Something is Awful, dot com; but no MtG thread is ever worth reading.

So lemme tell you about this format I've been getting into lately called EDH,

DrProsek posted:

One of my desk's legs gave up last week and I decided to have a bit of fun replacing the leg, so I bought and stacked every volume of Astonishing X-Men under the former leg. Twice.

Better use than reading Jorts Wheldon comics, I agree.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Guess who turns 80 today?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It is really weird that my grandpa is older than The Phantom.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

It is really weird that my grandpa is older than The Phantom.

Your Grandpa isn't the original Grandpa, since the title has been passed down from father to son for many centuries.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I will SLAM EVIL today to celebrate.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Better use than reading Jorts Wheldon comics, I agree.

I felt bad using the Marjorie Liu, Christeros Gage, and Warren Ellis volumes for this so I'm slowly swapping them out with volumes of Buffy.

(I don't actually dislike Jazz Weston that much, but he is definitely a writer that I find very easy to get frustrated with when he does gently caress up)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lord of the jungle, the hero who stalks, the beast call him brother, THE GHOST THAT WALKS! :rock:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The best thing about the Phantom is that it gave us Phantom 2040 and that is the best thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Lord of the jungle, the hero who stalks, the beast call him brother, THE GHOST THAT WALKS! :rock:

The Ghost Who Walks is still my favourite superhero sobriquet. (I also like the Phantom's other one: The Man Who Cannot Die)

In other news, Marvel May solicits are out, and Bendis and Maleev did more issues of loving Scarlet?!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What is Scarlet? Because I'm always up for more Bendis/Maleev.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

The Ghost Who Walks is still my favourite superhero sobriquet. (I also like the Phantom's other one: The Man Who Cannot Die)

It's good, but there's one better:

:black101:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

What is Scarlet? Because I'm always up for more Bendis/Maleev.

Imagine a more social justice oriented Punisher, except it's hipster chick from Portland mad that her equally hipster boyfriend got shot by cops.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Imagine a more social justice oriented Punisher, except it's hipster chick from Portland mad that her equally hipster boyfriend got shot by cops.

That actually sounds amazing... Was that supposed to be the reason Scarlet is terrible? :ohdear:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

That sounds exactly like my jam.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DrProsek posted:

That actually sounds amazing... Was that supposed to be the reason Scarlet is terrible? :ohdear:

The problem is that it's unfinished, although Amazon has an August release date for the second volume.

It's decent but from memory (and I think Bendis talked about this in an interview) about same time when the 1st volume ended is when Occupy started and there were a lot of parallels which make the book read weird coming at it from after Occupy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

This is only tangentially related to comics, but I mentioned writing this in another thread here in BSS months ago and people said they wanted me to drop the link when it went up.

Street Fighter: Ranking All the Characters

To be on topic:

I hate you, The Ferret.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
In the fight between E.Honda and The Ferret, the loser is the reader

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gavok posted:

This is only tangentially related to comics, but I mentioned writing this in another thread here in BSS months ago and people said they wanted me to drop the link when it went up.

Street Fighter: Ranking All the Characters

I just learned more about Street Fighter than I ever needed to know. It probably says something about your writing that I read that entire list despite not giving half a poo poo about Street Fighter.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chaos Hippy posted:

I just learned more about Street Fighter than I ever needed to know. It probably says something about your writing that I read that entire list despite not giving half a poo poo about Street Fighter.

Thanks, Angry Disembodied Head of Jonah :3:

KaosMachina posted:

In the fight between E.Honda and The Ferret, the loser is the reader

For real, the sudden cancellation of Malibu's Street Fighter comic might be my favorite comic book thing ever. It never stops being funny.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The title says "ranking all the characters" and yet notably absent are the new ones from the Street Fighter released just in time for the article. :colbert:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghostlight posted:

The title says "ranking all the characters" and yet notably absent are the new ones from the Street Fighter released just in time for the article. :colbert:

I finished writing it a month ago and they decided to publish it today. I'll add them eventually.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I really love your articles, Gavok. My only complaint is that Alex isn't #1.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Haha, gently caress Remy.

I've already pointed out that I totally disagree with you about Charlie, but I can't believe how high you ranked Rufus. It's a shame the EX characters weren't included in this list. I know most of them suck, but Darun Mister is like 20 times cooler than Hakkan, to me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Haha, gently caress Remy.

Oh, I forgot about that; I disagree about Remy too, Remy is cool. Otherwise, perfect Street Fighter opinions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Remy is a later KOF character that wandered into Street Fighter by mistake, and stole Guile's moves in embarrassment when he realized he wasn't allowed to use Orochi here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He totally would have been Guile's kid if they used the SFIII cast more. I hope he's V DLC.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Gavok posted:

For real, the sudden cancellation of Malibu's Street Fighter comic might be my favorite comic book thing ever. It never stops being funny.

It's pretty amazing. I can't think of another example, comic or otherwise, where a licensee did such a horrendous job with a property that the license holder ripped it back away from them almost immediately.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

No, the expletive was more that I was confused they're finishing it. I actually kind of liked it, but the last issue came out like 5 years ago.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did I scroll past him and not notice or is Skullamania not on that list and also why is he not number 1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skullomania is overrated and bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok is probably smart enough to have not played EX games.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gavok posted:

Thanks, Angry Disembodied Head of Jonah :3:

How come you never bring me pictures of Spider-Man, Gavok?

Also, I think that's the sign I was waiting for . Time to find a new avatar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have this dude, comes in every Wednesday, every single week, picks books up off the shelf and tries to dictate his own prices. He'll bring the stack up, ask how much it is and promptly off half price. We have never given him a deal but he keeps trying going on three years now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I have this dude, comes in every Wednesday, every single week, picks books up off the shelf and tries to dictate his own prices. He'll bring the stack up, ask how much it is and promptly off half price. We have never given him a deal but he keeps trying going on three years now.

Does he buy at full price or walk out.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Does he end up buying them at full price, or does he just show up every week just to fail to buy comicbooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Maybe it has just become a routine for him, and he would be shocked if you actually gave him a discount.

• Locked thread