Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Jmcrofts posted:

Regular throws are 5 frames, jabs/shorts are 3-5 depending on character

Oh wow, Capcom you loving morons that's not how you design grapplers.

I do hope command grabs are at least throw invincible because otherwise that's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Would it be worth making a new thread for release? Would be a good place to leave all of these videos and little notes for new players?

We could even wait until March, unironically.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Pomp posted:

nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-13

video of tager blocking forever

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dias posted:

No one quick rises either.

In their defense, that's not even hinted at in the insult of a tutorial.

However at least it teaches that moving the stick moves your character, and that stronger attacks do more damage. :downs:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Was running a FT3 set with NomadicNinja before we got the boot, fun stuff. I ran a FT5 all the way to the last match, last round against a bronze Laura that was pretty intense (I lost). I like this game, but I'm a filthy casual so :shrug:

[edit]

Also, the battle lounge chat is hilarious. You can only send preset messages I think, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 18, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

bhsman posted:

Would it be worth making a new thread for release? Would be a good place to leave all of these videos and little notes for new players?

We could even wait until March, unironically.

I'll help with a new thread, or put it together if need be. I've made a ton of big-content threads on other forums.

Also, group is up.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFVSA

I'll add a bunch of newbie resources. If anyone wants to teach new Goons, make yourself known so we can get everyone up to speed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cloofish posted:

In their defense, that's not even hinted at in the insult of a tutorial.

However at least it teaches that moving the stick moves your character, and that stronger attacks do more damage. :downs:

The tutorial is garbage. Someone said earlier "well, they should just go and press buttons stupid fucks", but I don't think you would even know about half of the mechanics in this game unless you knew what the external resources were.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dias posted:

The tutorial is garbage. Someone said earlier "well, they should just go and press buttons stupid fucks", but I don't think you would even know about half of the mechanics in this game unless you knew what the external resources were.

I think there's a lot you can learn with experimentation but a bunch of V-Skills/V-Triggers are tough to suss out for yourself when you could learn about them in 5 seconds with google.

I tried to figure them out on my own but I got a bunch of them completely wrong, like FANG's V-Trigger

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So who's the easiest character to get at least passably good with if you've never really played a fighting game before? I've been concentrating on Ryu but I'm struggling to chain more than a couple of hits together at any given point. Is there an up-to-date list of suggested combos somewhere?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

the tutorial in inexcusable when xrd and skullgirls exist

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So who's the easiest character to get at least passably good with if you've never really played a fighting game before? I've been concentrating on Ryu but I'm struggling to chain more than a couple of hits together at any given point. Is there an up-to-date list of suggested combos somewhere?

Ryu is the best choice. Also find someone experienced to learn from and watch some tutorial videos.

Gootecks has a book that was free a while ago. It's a good read.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm pretty bad at fighting games, but I've been having a lot of success with Chun-Li. I guess her being so strong/top tier is a crutch, but I'll take all the help I can get for fight monies :haw:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

teagone posted:

I'm pretty bad at fighting games, but I've been having a lot of success with Chun-Li. I guess her being so strong/top tier is a crutch, but I'll take all the help I can get for fight monies :haw:

If your pretty bad at fighting games than you're probably winning for other reasons than chun being top tier.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
UK event grand finals: http://www.twitch.tv/unequalledmedia

Packz Karin vs Ryan Hart Ken

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

she's the only character that feels complete

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to be surprised if evo isn't 50% chun lis and if they actually keep to their word and buff everyone else instead of nerfing her in to the ground too

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Uhhhh is it just me, or do you not get fight money from lounge battles?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Chun is easy to use (at a basic level), it's not even that she's top tier, she's just straightforward while still having good options.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Krad posted:

Correct, they're worried that people will trade wins or something

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Countblanc posted:

Correct, they're worried that people will trade wins or something

Whelp, this is officially retarded.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pomp posted:

i'm going to be surprised if... they actually keep to their word and buff everyone else instead of nerfing her in to the ground too

There is no light or hope anymore

There is only the inevitability of the coming changelog where Chun Li has all her hitboxes shortened and 3 recovery frames added across the board to her normals

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Dias posted:

Chun is easy to use (at a basic level), it's not even that she's top tier, she's just straightforward while still having good options.
But she is top tier.

A reminder to anyone that didn't play the betas: she was undeniably the worst character for the first beta and remained quite poor until about the third. Everyone was stronger than her at one point. Now she's top tier having never really been changed since.

I don't think Chun is a good starting character because you need to have a good neutral game to do well with her.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Goodpart posted:

But she is top tier.

A reminder to anyone that didn't play the betas: she was undeniably the worst character for the first beta and remained quite poor until about the third. Everyone was stronger than her at one point. Now she's top tier having never really been changed since.

I don't think Chun is a good starting character because you need to have a good neutral game to do well with her.

I mean that it's not that he's doing well BECAUSE she's top tier.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
all you have to do 5hp and mixups off st.lk right now, because it's 1)better mixups than anything short of a ch sweep, and 2)no one is ever not jumping

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Krad posted:

How can you type in a lounge? Playing on PC.

I don't think you can type, all you can do is send those preset messages.

Krad posted:

You didn't gain anything from endless lobbies in SF4, which is essentially what the battle lounge is.

[edit]

Dias posted:

I mean that it's not that he's doing well BECAUSE she's top tier.

I'll take that as a compliment :3:

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 18, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

chun li is also a thief who stole all the anti airs from the rest of the cast

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Anyone doing a goon mumble for lobby stuff? Not to important now but be nice when 8 man lobbies come.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Draynar posted:

Anyone doing a goon mumble for lobby stuff? Not to important now but be nice when 8 man lobbies come.

Get with the times, it's all bout Discord now https://discordapp.com/ There might be one for fightmans, not sure though.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Draynar posted:

I thought about it. If we get a bunch of people in the group and it gets use I'll probably put one up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I must be missing something but I can't get local multiplayer to work. I hit "versus" and player 2's controller doesn't seem to do anything and I can't start the match

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
When is the first CapCup major again? I don't think it will be in time for Fourth Chun Strike yet.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

goferchan posted:

I must be missing something but I can't get local multiplayer to work. I hit "versus" and player 2's controller doesn't seem to do anything and I can't start the match

what kinda controller is it? i had some trouble getting my friends PS3 controller to work as player 2 because it's not support in-game yet

Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....
I'm having a peculiar problem with my PS3 stick on PS4. It's a Madcatz vs Series SFxT stick (no mods of any sort). I do the verification in game for the legacy controller and it works...but it seems like it has the timeout issue that the PS360+ and other adapters have experienced on PS4.

Fortunately I had purchased a Brook PS3>PS4 adapter which I thought was going to be useless after the compatibility announcement. This works fine and confirms there aren't any issues with the USB cable (at least as far as I can tell.)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Pomp posted:

all you have to do 5hp and mixups off st.lk right now, because it's 1)better mixups than anything short of a ch sweep, and 2)no one is ever not jumping

Man is it confusing when people mix 2 terminology notations. As someone who is pretty new, the whole "numbers on a numpad" and "ancient sf2 names" are way harder to comprehend than the other one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Booyah- posted:

what kinda controller is it? i had some trouble getting my friends PS3 controller to work as player 2 because it's not support in-game yet

Oh sorry I'm playing on PS4 and using PS4 controllers. On the setup screen for VS matches it won't recognize any input from P2.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Why are Ryu's legs so short?

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

teagone posted:

You didn't gain anything from endless lobbies in SF4, which is essentially what the battle lounge is.
You didn't gain anything from doing anything in SF4.
Endless lobbies are adding to the online population and should get fight money too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Doggboat posted:

You didn't gain anything from doing anything in SF4.
Endless lobbies are adding to the online population and should get fight money too.

That's dumb, it would only lead to a LOT of win trading.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon Curdistan posted:

ryu is good to learn with because he does good damage and dabbles in most every aspect of the game. if you're comfortable with him keep playing him while you mess around with other characters and switch if you fall in love. if you can't get decent with ryu you won't get decent at the game.

here's the basic combos i've been drilling. 1st category is the target combo because you can't gently caress it up with counter and jump in variants. 2nd category is the ones with special move cancels.

Note: you can master all these combos and still get bodied by the worst players on earth if you don't just play and lose a lot until you get used to the spacing and get your reaction time trained into you.

Target:
MP, HP, HK
cc HK, MP, HP, HK
jHK, MP, HP, HK

Cancels:
cc HK, cr HP xx Mdp
st MP, cr MP xx Mfb
st MP, cr Mk xx Mtat
jHK, st MP, cr HP xx Mtat (or xx Ltat xx Super)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZypherIM posted:

Man is it confusing when people mix 2 terminology notations. As someone who is pretty new, the whole "numbers on a numpad" and "ancient sf2 names" are way harder to comprehend than the other one.

the numpad is just the direction you push the stick, so qcf is 236, or crounching mk would be 2mk

• Locked thread