Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

I get to play it after work, but thankfully I am a patient man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

LornMarkus posted:

Yup, I remember there was a really divisive and bitter split among the Returners FFRPG community over him. More than a few people flew off into rants about how he was the devil incarnate if somebody so much as made reference to "a spoony bard."

FFIV wasn't actually a Woolsey translation, and the weird sorta machine-esque English that it had at points was what led to Square hiring him, IIRC. But yeah, way back in the day he was nearly the devil to a lot of people who posted about JRPGs because he dared to take some liberties to create a more natural translation. As I recall, there were multiple attempts to re-translate his work to make it more accurate, so, you know, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair, by modern standards i definitely have a few issues with woolsey's translations, but at the time he was incredibly amazing and way above the caliber of even most PS1/N64 JRPG translations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And those issues are probably closer to "6 months to fit the translation into a SNES cart" than "unskilled localiser".

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Endorph posted:

to be fair, by modern standards i definitely have a few issues with woolsey's translations, but at the time he was incredibly amazing and way above the caliber of even most PS1/N64 JRPG translations.

Also, to be fair to him. Terra is a better name for a fantasy protagonist than Tina. :colbert:

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's totally fair, I definitely don't mean to imply that his translations were nigh on flawless or anything, just that most of the complaints I've seen about his work were basically the precursors to a lot of the more questionable gripes people have put forward about Fates' localization. The problems are there, but the people beating the drums loudest are/were focusing on the wrong stuff to get mad about.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Seems appropriate I finally completely catch up with this thread an hour away from release. However, I am cheap, and used Amazon for the Prime discount and won't be able to play until tomorrow in the afternoon.

Please enjoy Fire Emblem, my friends, but get some sleep! You gotta watch your health!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

im going to watch erased and wrestling and when im done fire emblem fates will be out and on my 3ds

thank you lord

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thankfully I have Xcom 2 to keep me warm at night while I wait.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ruggington posted:

im going to watch erased and wrestling and when im done fire emblem fates will be out and on my 3ds

thank you lord

2/3 good choices

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is the FE map pack worth it?

Anyone? Anyone? Endorph?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

2/3 good choices

that's 2/3rds over par for me

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

AlphaKretin posted:

And those issues are probably closer to "6 months to fit the translation into a SNES cart" than "unskilled localiser".

Yeah, I think he mentioned those as issues with localizing games at the time, as well as dealing with Nintendo's censorship policies.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Toxxupation posted:

Is the FE map pack worth it?

If you compare it to what you get for the $20 campaigns, no, not at all. It's not worthless, though, and gives you things that will feel like are missing if you don't buy it, like Anna, unique classes, and some kind of important plot bits.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lotish posted:

Name a squad after your favorite characters and then get them killed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

is it a situation that you should buy it as you're playing or is it like the awakening DLC where it's fine to play after playing all three main campaigns

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lotish posted:

Hopefully, Central doesn't get too drunk off his rear end and fart out weird mission names for you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everything either scales with your level or gives you pre-built units to use, so, uh, whenever you feel like doing them.

the only thing with anything plot relevant is invisible history, which is mostly just an adventure with owain, inigo, and severa that explains a bit of backstory for the game. I'd recommend doing it after revelations since it spoils a lot of that route.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All of the DLC are for all three campaigns right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

All of the DLC are for all three campaigns right

yes, but they don't give exp in conquest (except for the one that's specifically for grinding exp) (so i guess you can pay to cheat conquest?) (w/e)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

Also, you can safely ignore the opinion of anyone who unironically says "white knight" to mean anything but the magic card.

:mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do the prologues for kids in this game scale with level at all or are they all preset? I remember that created a werd situation in Awakening where some of them were relatively easy while others fieleded nothing but fully promoted units.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cool knife

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Do the prologues for kids in this game scale with level at all or are they all preset? I remember that created a werd situation in Awakening where some of them were relatively easy while others fieleded nothing but fully promoted units.
they scale with how far you are into the story, and the kids' level also scales with how far you are into the story, and if you're near the end the kids come with a free promotion item

essentially if you can remember any gameplay complaint you had with awakening, it's fixed in fates

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

LornMarkus posted:

Also, to be fair to him. Terra is a better name for a fantasy protagonist than Tina. :colbert:

If he's to thank for TERROR BALTIMORE than good work Woolsey.

Internet Kraken posted:

Scale to where you're at in the story.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Also, you can safely ignore the opinion of anyone who unironically says "white knight" to mean anything but the magic card.

Hey duder White Knight Chronicles is a game that some people have talked about before

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hey duder White Knight Chronicles is a game that some people have talked about before

I literally don't believe you

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I don't remember an hour being so long.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have to wait till my gamestop opens tomorrow :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

I guess like 2 is technically some

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

It's not 2006 any more. You do not have to buy games in the store. You can download them from the internet.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

me too :(

done think i hosed up tbh

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It's not 2006 any more. You do not have to buy games in the store. You can download them from the internet.

I know it's weird but i REALLY wanted a physical copy of Fates, specifically

just so I could have something to stick in the catridge hole of my 2ds

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

smh dumb thing updated with new themes and none of them are fire emblem!!!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I know it's weird but i REALLY wanted a physical copy of Fates, specifically

just so I could have something to stick in the catridge hole of my 2ds
point to schlong

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So yeah, to hopefully derail this.

Amazon is selling a Revelations DLC code that "will be available February 19th". I sent in a support ticket, and the guy said yeah, they were told that key should let you play Revelations tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HM47UU?ref_=dsvrt_myd_asin_block

I was fed a line of bullshit, right? I mean I preordered it anyway, just in case, but still. There is no way that code actually unlocks Revelations tomorrow when I apply it? Part of me wants to believe so badly, because Revelations is actually out there, translated already. :(

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress

I cant get it tomorrow

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I got that dumb fuckin badge arcade game just cause it lets you get fates badges

i am on board this dumb hype train

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Endorph posted:

point to schlong

uh excuse me my penis is large, and massive, and much too big for the catridge hole of the 2ds. heh. heh. heh!

>.> <.<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Rookersh posted:

So yeah, to hopefully derail this.

Amazon is selling a Revelations DLC code that "will be available February 19th". I sent in a support ticket, and the guy said yeah, they were told that key should let you play Revelations tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HM47UU?ref_=dsvrt_myd_asin_block

I was fed a line of bullshit, right? I mean I preordered it anyway, just in case, but still. There is no way that code actually unlocks Revelations tomorrow when I apply it? Part of me wants to believe so badly, because Revelations is actually out there, translated already. :(

Even still, it's not like you were going to play it first anyway, right?

• Locked thread