Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

adhuin posted:

You're discounting the horrors of Old Who. There's always more to watch

I wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I should have known one game about cartoons loving each other was not enough to quench your insatiable thirst for animes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

look,

soothing vapors.

you can...you can pet them. you can pet your waifus and husbandos.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Skinship with your real little sister!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
i knew if i was a good boy and/or girl one day all of my dreams would come true

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

this is now the fire emblem thread

fire emblems came out today, fire emblem: fates (birthright/conquest) on the 3ds family of products

please buy fire emblem. if it's your first one, buy fire emblem: birthright! it is a Good Game Series. birthright and conquest are two distinct and unique video games, but if you've never played an FE game play birthright first because it's easier and lets you grind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLFB-LtKYuQ

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

fire emblems came out today, fire emblem: fates (birthright/conquest) on the 3ds family of products

please buy fire emblem. if it's your first one, buy fire emblem: birthright! it is a Good Game Series. birthright and conquest are two distinct and unique video games, but if you've never played an FE game play birthright first because it's easier and lets you grind

By virtue of working nights, I managed to get the special edition. I have to wait a bit longer to play but given how much it is going for, I have no regrets.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dante Logos posted:

By virtue of working nights, I managed to get the special edition. I have to wait a bit longer to play but given how much it is going for, I have no regrets.

holy poo poo gently caress you ARGH I WANTED THAT VERSION SO BADLY

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fire Emblem: Farts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
more like role playing gay

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Fire Emblem's kind of boring.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I fall for it every time and buy a copy because I love SRPGs and squad tactics games, and I never make it past like Chapter 8 of boring anime bullshit

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Does anyone have a link to the main threads reaction to the zygon two-parter, specifically inversion

Normally I don't care but this is the exception where id like to see everybody else's reactions

Keep in mind you're seeing the "immediately upon first viewing" reactions and not the "now I've had time to register all the problems" reactions.

The scene with the boxes is so wonderfully performed (and directed, and scored) that I still find it stunning to watch even though the whole situation completely falls apart if you think about it. To the extent that the Doctor's overt argument from the start--why fight a war when you can just work out your differences peacefully--collapses completely because of course no Zygon and human actually does sit down and talk. Kate doesn't even remember what happened afterwards. In both episodes, there's these feints toward a more interesting story. I was convinced in Invasion that the electro-hair bundles weren't actually corpses and that many of the human people we thought we saw getting killed weren't. That was wrong. And there are hints in Inversion that the Doctor's presenting himself as the real monster, the inhuman thing that looks like a person, the original for Bonnie, and that his solution isn't to convince her that she'd be a fool to act like him, but rather to convince her to be just like he is. There's even a hint that the empty boxes are simply stand-ins for the TARDIS, the box full of stuff that the Doctor treats as if it were empty, and that the Doctor's the one deliberately dodging the Truth or Consequences question and it'll come back to bite him eventually.

Evocative. But not ultimately supported by anything.

If you want to get even angrier, replace all the ISIS/immigration signification with straight/gay/etc and end up with a sort-of asexual insisting that everybody not cisgendered stay in the drat closet already.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

Soothing Vapors posted:

I fall for it every time and buy a copy because I love SRPGs and squad tactics games, and I never make it past like Chapter 8 of boring anime bullshit

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really surprised Doctor What hasn't come back into the thread to give his thoughts.

Also one thing you'll see from the reaction thread is that, much like yourself, most of us were fooled by the first viewing, and just how awful the first part was.

The episode pissed me right the hell off because of a lot of reasons, though I try not to rant too much in Who threads because there are those who instantly think that means I am an Anti Moffat Hater or some bullshit and it just becomes a massive headache.

I can say I do not care for Harness what so ever so far! If his messages haven't been intentional or on purpose, then he has the worst luck in the world when it comes to imparting lovely confused messages.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Also one thing you'll see from the reaction thread is that, much like yourself, most of us were fooled by the first viewing, and just how awful the first part was.

Most of us :smugdog:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I had intended this year to be the year I wean myself into Fire Emblem. Beat the copy of Awakening I got for my birthday two years ago, then move to something like Sacred Stones, then keep increasing the difficulty until I'm playing like, SNES era Fire Emblem and lovin' it.

Then I had to get a Wii U and now I cannot be pried from making dumb Mario Maker levels.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

the only fire emblem thing i have ever cared about is My Boy, Roy.

i'm maybe in the top 5 roys in smash 4 in the USA.

EDIT: "My Thoughts" are these:

The "of course the boxes are empty" plot is perfect, from a storytelling standpoint. The Doctor would never set things up any other way.

That said, the Doctor's actual speech does not, of course, perfectly align with my personal politics. But I don't agree that it has to. As Moffat's tenure has gone on, he's focused more and more on the notion that the Doctor's rhetoric is not meant as some Grand Moral Message to be absorbed by the audience without context or consideration for our favorite Time Lord's actual emotions and thoughts.

The Doctor is sick with anger and frustration at the prospect of war and death and cruelty and he's not interested in entertaining ends-justify-the-means arguments. But, of course, if we take his "last 15 times" line as being, essentially, accurate, it's evident that his strategy of defusing the Zygon/Human tensions is fragile and imperfect, and people are dying on both sides, cyclically.

A Zygon revolution would fail. The story establishes this as a Fact. The threat posed by Bonnie is not a human extinction event like the Daleks, but a threat of degenerative and irreversible collateral damage. It's in the same sense that any given terrorist attack fails to bring about the social change intended by the attackers, but does perpetuate fear and cruelty and injustice. 9/11 didn't produce an Al Qaeda-led World Government, but America produced Gitmo and Abu Gharib - further inhumanity, torment, fear, and cruelty - in response.

Yet simultaneously, the Zygons, even specifically the radicalized Zygons, absolutely have just cause to be dissatisfied and frustrated with their marginalization and forced assimilation. Bonnie doesn't speak for all Zygons, but they speak for themselves, and that's valid enough. In fact, by giving her a human "real name", one which she embraces, Bonnie's struggle is made inextricable from human struggles for self-determination and civil liberties. Far from "other"izing the Zygons, the distinction between Zygons and Humans is dropped by most of the narrative.

As for the conclusion, I think that we have to directly engage with Day, to which this episode is a direct sequel, in order to fully understand Inversion.

The characters in Doctor Who act on irrational emotional impulses as much as they do on plans and rhetoric, and Moffat's regime explicitly includes the Doctor among the Irrational Actors. The Doctor does, has, and will continue to make mistakes, resolve things imperfectly, and come into internal conflict between incompatible principals. He will lie to himself as readily as he lies to anyone else, in the same way that real people lie to themselves and confirm their own biases.

In Day, the Doctors "solve" the Zygon Problem with what they describe as "the most perfect peace treaty ever devised". They come up with a clever trick, get a very positive initial result ("CANCEL THE DETONATION!"), and declare themselves the very clever moral victors of the day before channeling that high into solving the Time War and saving the War Doctor's soul. But, of course, their solution for Gallifrey is imperfect. All Gallifrey has, of course, is "hope". A chance. Their solution for the Time War saves the War Doctor's soul, but it doesn't wrap things up neatly. Their home remains lost, if it was even saved at all, and there's no indication that the cruelty and degeneration that returned Rassilon to power has actually been reversed.

And while War, Ten, and Eleven would never, could never admit it, the same is true of the Zygon/Human peace. All the Doctors could provide was hope, opportunity, tools to achieve a peace. In truth, that's all the Doctor ever really offers on his adventures. But on their Day, the Doctors convince themselves that they've solved it For Real. The episode inextricably binds the Gallifrey Solution to the Zygon Solution, and Inversion expects you to recall that connection so that you can understand what Twelve must be feeling about the imperfect reality. He saved Gallifrey, but all he's had to show for it is Missy. He "solved" the Zygons, but all he can see is violence and cruelty.

In Day, the Doctors believe that peace can be achieved by letting the Zygons be bygones. Inversion challenges this. Let Zygons be Zygons. But neither side of the conflict is able to commit to either way of thinking. Realities of power structures and cyclical violence make achieving peace positively Sysyphean. But the Doctor's always going to roll that rock up that goddamn hill. How could he not?

When the Doctor rants at Bonnie, and rages against the notion of violent uprising against oppressors, his rhetorical passion is matched only by his self-frustration and shame. Firstly: his rhetoric goes against his own actions and beliefs on the subject of revolution. Secondly: on search of some kind of lasting internal peace with regard to Gallifrey, the Doctor must establish a lasting peace on Earth. To solve Gallifrey, he must truly solve the problem of the Zygons. And he can't. He's failed over and over, resetting memories and treating flare-ups but has been unable to assuage the underlying conditions. By the end of Inversion, he still hasn't. Bonnie becoming Osgood is another chance, another hope. But Gallifrey remains, not entirely solved.

The Zygons may have possibly found a home that will last. The Doctor's still looking for his.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 19, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah you're number 5.

Of 5.

total.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dabir posted:

Yeah you're number 5.

Of 5.

total.

I think I might actually be better than Sethlon at this point, within the confines of Sm4sh. But that's because I play with real people in competitive or semicompetitive contexts IRL between 3 and 6 times a week.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I think I might actually be better than Sethlon at this point, within the confines of Sm4sh. But that's because I play with real people in competitive or semicompetitive contexts IRL between 3 and 6 times a week.

I'm sorry.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

This was a really good review, and not just because it articulated in detail everything I hate about this episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BSam posted:

I'm sorry.

I appreciate your condolences.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Roy's existence in smash being a major reason why people got interested in FE in places outside of Japan never ceases to amuse me. Both Roy and FE6 are pretty bad and it was a wise choice to make FE7 the first one they released over seas.

It's also interesting that Japan loves the poo poo out of Marth while the western world prefers Ike('s muscles).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know who's better than marth

Lucina.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Toxxupation posted:

Lucina.

Not played a single FE game but agreed with this because WVGCW's Lucina is cool as heck.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

Don't sell people Baby Emblem, they need to start with Conquest, learn how to play Fire Emblem for real, and then laugh at everyone who's grinding for levels as if they're playing FF Tactics.

Also, Protip: If you play casual mode you are the worst person

Now, back to playing with my anime army

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the best smash bros character is wario because when you play with non-experts it's really fun to piss everyone off by riding the motorbike back and forth across the stage. it's like basic timing to stop it but I guess I just know some dumb people

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Escobarbarian posted:

the best smash bros character is wario because when you play with non-experts it's really fun to piss everyone off by riding the motorbike back and forth across the stage. it's like basic timing to stop it but I guess I just know some dumb people

I like to do this sometimes except with Jigglypuff's Rollout.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

I like to do this sometimes except with Jigglypuff's Rollout.

Did someone say Jigglypuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQE5VeY1XHc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've played up to the decision point in Fire Emblem Fates and can confirm that it is Good

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Toxxupation posted:

Lucina.

Congrats, Occ, on your first wrong opinion

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lucina is marth, but also can be your waifu

QED mofo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

Lucina is marth, but also can be your waifu

QED mofo

Waifus are for the weak.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

As Moffat's tenure has gone on, he's focused more and more on the notion that the Doctor's rhetoric is not meant as some Grand Moral Message to be absorbed by the audience without context or consideration for our favorite Time Lord's actual emotions and thoughts.

Okay, no. The Doctor is absolutely the moral compass of DW, and always has been. The messages he imparts are either the moral of the episode, period, or betray the moral of the episode by being illustrative of how morally flawed he is. "Inversion" does neither, the framing and narrative language the episode employs around the climax is unambiguously good. The Doctor has been shown to be both morally flexible, onscreen ("The Runaway Bride"), and the show has specifically condemned his viewpoint and perspective, even when he's right ("The Girl Who Waited"). "Inversion" does neither, it presents The Doctor's speech as moralistic and justified from beginning to end, and ends the episode on an unambiguously happy note. If you are onboard with "Inversion", you accept the ending that The Doctor belittles and removes the agency of a justified, admittedly extremist, minority as "happy". And if you do that, you are defending an authoritarian, antidisestablishmentarian, resolution as both earned and positive. There are no ifs, ands, buts, or caveats. Believe me. I looked for them. The third act hammers the point home in an obscenely long, virtually unbroken scene of Capaldi repeatedly abusing the minority character with zero screentime given to even a throwaway admission that, philosophically speaking, Bonnie's actions are justified.

The entirety of The Doctor's statements deal with the morality or immorality of her actions with no statement on the morality or immorality of her beliefs, nor any acknowledgement of context. This is the number one, default play of authoritarian, conservative beliefs in response to forceful progressive change. You saw it in L.A. after Rodney King, you saw it with OWS, you saw it in New Orleans after Katrina, you saw it in Ferguson, you see it with BLM. Old white men who go on television and, essentially, concern troll a movement by focusing solely and needlessly on riots, or N.W.A. lyrics. They play videos of people looting, or shooting at helicopters, or throwing rocks at cops, and they pull angry faces and tut-tut the "uncivilized barbarians", dogwhistling all the while, while never EVER bringing up why these things are happening, because they can't, because if they did they'd have to admit that the structure that enabled these things to happen is ultimately to blame. And, again, the episode makes specific note that everything that The Doctor is doing is right and just, not inherently flawed to downright toxic.

I cannot stress this clearly enough. There is zero evidence for, and literally all onscreen evidence against, any interpretation of the third act or climax as a rebuke of The Doctor. I looked for it, specifically, my second viewing because I was so captivated by his monologue the first time through that just out of a sense of shame I hoped there was anything that I could use to justify my appreciation for the awful and regressive worldview it establishes. There is none. Any argument that uses the supposition that it's secretly or, on some metanarrative level, an indictment of The Doctor is just flatly wrong. It's wrong. It's not true. It's wrong. You are hearing hoofprints and thinking zebras, dude.

Most of the time I let you do whatever DoctorWhat, and I make a point of not engaging in arguments that are focused on analysis of the work both to foster honest discussion and because all opinions are definitionally valid, but this is the one exception where I'm really not tolerating any defense that frames the last third of "Inversion" as anything but toxic, regressive, pro-establishment dreck that reinforces and supports the unjust status quo. It's the exact opposite of everything The Doctor stands for both in reality and as literary device, but that's quite frankly the least important reason it's horrid. It's horrid because it pushes an awful worldview with specific language that is used exclusively by reprehensible people to resist social change in any form.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess, it just didn't hit me because I was so shocked they managed to pull anything out of that first episode. I mean, for gods sakes, I was watching an episode of a cop show with The Doctor standing around.

SWAT guy: Stay right there!
Lady: I'm your mother. You would shoot me... Right?
The Doctor: Hmmmm, in spite of my advanced technology and often spooky intellect, I believe the correct thing to do here is let this situation play out.

I mean, yes, the Doctor does sometimes throw an innocent passer-by to the wolves for the greater good, but I've never seen him just sit and let Earthlings break out in a civil war.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

It's in the same sense that any given terrorist attack fails to bring about the social change intended by the attackers, but does perpetuate fear and cruelty and injustice. 9/11 didn't produce an Al Qaeda-led World Government, but America produced Gitmo and Abu Gharib - further inhumanity, torment, fear, and cruelty - in response.

Man you have no loving idea about Islamic fundamentalist politics do you

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

9/11 did everything Al Qaeda wanted it to and more, it achieved their goal at least a generation faster than they were expecting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

the only fire emblem thing i have ever cared about is My Boy, Roy.

i'm maybe in the top 5 roys in smash 4 in the USA.

EDIT: "My Thoughts" are these:

The "of course the boxes are empty" plot is perfect, from a storytelling standpoint. The Doctor would never set things up any other way.

That said, the Doctor's actual speech does not, of course, perfectly align with my personal politics. But I don't agree that it has to. As Moffat's tenure has gone on, he's focused more and more on the notion that the Doctor's rhetoric is not meant as some Grand Moral Message to be absorbed by the audience without context or consideration for our favorite Time Lord's actual emotions and thoughts.

The Doctor is sick with anger and frustration at the prospect of war and death and cruelty and he's not interested in entertaining ends-justify-the-means arguments. But, of course, if we take his "last 15 times" line as being, essentially, accurate, it's evident that his strategy of defusing the Zygon/Human tensions is fragile and imperfect, and people are dying on both sides, cyclically.

A Zygon revolution would fail. The story establishes this as a Fact. The threat posed by Bonnie is not a human extinction event like the Daleks, but a threat of degenerative and irreversible collateral damage. It's in the same sense that any given terrorist attack fails to bring about the social change intended by the attackers, but does perpetuate fear and cruelty and injustice. 9/11 didn't produce an Al Qaeda-led World Government, but America produced Gitmo and Abu Gharib - further inhumanity, torment, fear, and cruelty - in response.

Yet simultaneously, the Zygons, even specifically the radicalized Zygons, absolutely have just cause to be dissatisfied and frustrated with their marginalization and forced assimilation. Bonnie doesn't speak for all Zygons, but they speak for themselves, and that's valid enough. In fact, by giving her a human "real name", one which she embraces, Bonnie's struggle is made inextricable from human struggles for self-determination and civil liberties. Far from "other"izing the Zygons, the distinction between Zygons and Humans is dropped by most of the narrative.

As for the conclusion, I think that we have to directly engage with Day, to which this episode is a direct sequel, in order to fully understand Inversion.

The characters in Doctor Who act on irrational emotional impulses as much as they do on plans and rhetoric, and Moffat's regime explicitly includes the Doctor among the Irrational Actors. The Doctor does, has, and will continue to make mistakes, resolve things imperfectly, and come into internal conflict between incompatible principals. He will lie to himself as readily as he lies to anyone else, in the same way that real people lie to themselves and confirm their own biases.

In Day, the Doctors "solve" the Zygon Problem with what they describe as "the most perfect peace treaty ever devised". They come up with a clever trick, get a very positive initial result ("CANCEL THE DETONATION!"), and declare themselves the very clever moral victors of the day before channeling that high into solving the Time War and saving the War Doctor's soul. But, of course, their solution for Gallifrey is imperfect. All Gallifrey has, of course, is "hope". A chance. Their solution for the Time War saves the War Doctor's soul, but it doesn't wrap things up neatly. Their home remains lost, if it was even saved at all, and there's no indication that the cruelty and degeneration that returned Rassilon to power has actually been reversed.

And while War, Ten, and Eleven would never, could never admit it, the same is true of the Zygon/Human peace. All the Doctors could provide was hope, opportunity, tools to achieve a peace. In truth, that's all the Doctor ever really offers on his adventures. But on their Day, the Doctors convince themselves that they've solved it For Real. The episode inextricably binds the Gallifrey Solution to the Zygon Solution, and Inversion expects you to recall that connection so that you can understand what Twelve must be feeling about the imperfect reality. He saved Gallifrey, but all he's had to show for it is Missy. He "solved" the Zygons, but all he can see is violence and cruelty.

In Day, the Doctors believe that peace can be achieved by letting the Zygons be bygones. Inversion challenges this. Let Zygons be Zygons. But neither side of the conflict is able to commit to either way of thinking. Realities of power structures and cyclical violence make achieving peace positively Sysyphean. But the Doctor's always going to roll that rock up that goddamn hill. How could he not?

When the Doctor rants at Bonnie, and rages against the notion of violent uprising against oppressors, his rhetorical passion is matched only by his self-frustration and shame. Firstly: his rhetoric goes against his own actions and beliefs on the subject of revolution. Secondly: on search of some kind of lasting internal peace with regard to Gallifrey, the Doctor must establish a lasting peace on Earth. To solve Gallifrey, he must truly solve the problem of the Zygons. And he can't. He's failed over and over, resetting memories and treating flare-ups but has been unable to assuage the underlying conditions. By the end of Inversion, he still hasn't. Bonnie becoming Osgood is another chance, another hope. But Gallifrey remains, not entirely solved.

The Zygons may have possibly found a home that will last. The Doctor's still looking for his.

lol didn't Moffat literally come out and say that the peace treaty they agreed in Day was The Most Perfect Possible Treaty or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Dabir posted:

lol didn't Moffat literally come out and say that the peace treaty they agreed in Day was The Most Perfect Possible Treaty or something?

It was an ideal treaty- one between two powers willing to come to the bargaining table. ZISIS here was unwilling to be bound by the rationale or rationality that the majority seemed mostly okay with.

Kind of like in 2011 when the US Congress and President Obama came up with the bright idea to force themselves to compromise on budget austerity by putting a deep cut deadline on things each party presumably wanted least to be cut, with the assumption they all weren't hide-bound incompetent idiots (AKA the "budget sequestration" and its accompanying "Super Committee" of ideas guys). When the clock inevitably ran out on that timebomb, everybody was left unhappy and a lot of important social services and defense planning got screwed. Hooray!

M.A.D. doesn't work when a party to it is actually mad. The whole empty box thing would seem to suggest that the Doctor had absolutely no confidence in the long-term stability of the agreement and was only sticking around to harangue them when they finally got around to trying to beat the system. Erasing their minds each time prevents either side from making much progress towards getting around him and I guess perhaps letting their populations grow more and more used to the status quo.

Still pretty silly though.

• Locked thread