Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Moktaro posted:

Not seeing any stream links available there. :argh:

You didn't miss a lot. The team was virtually unwatchable as the Rapids lost 3-1. The stream was also virtually unwatchable but you could at least listen. The mastroneni "defense at all costs" was in full effect.

Meanwhile Gabby Torres has 4 goals in his first 5 games of the season and he's the leading scorer in Venezuela's first division.

:doh:

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Yup this team won't improve till he's gone.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

La/Seattle starting now at lagalaxy.com and YouTube. Seattle get terrain advantage because it's raining.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

La/Seattle starting now at lagalaxy.com and YouTube. Seattle get terrain advantage because it's raining.

Current shot of the field at StubHub Center:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

whypick1 posted:

In expansion news, this would indicate Minnesota and Atlanta are poised to join us next year, but the latter might make the former change their name off of "United".

Here's the best reason to want the opposite to happen:

https://twitter.com/BadMLSComics/status/700075653903691776

I'll just go ahead and quote myself from the USA/Canada lower leagues 2016 thread:

Do over Ham posted:

So two Uniteds in MLS okay; three Uniteds no can do.

:ughh:

Welp, not that I thought much of Arthur Blank and his MLS Atlanta minions before this, but boy are they clueless. They passed up many much better name ideas to latch on to yet another "United", and now they are taking the name "United" away from a team that had that name before they did!

Oh well. It does give Minnesota a chance to pick something better, IMO. Never thought much of their name change before, I thought Minnesota United FC it was just "meh", but their new Loon badge was cool; why not make the Loons nickname official, keep the badge, and go with Minnesota Loons FC?

I mean why not. Unique, original, a little goofy, and a big middle finger to Garber/Blank. Come on you Loons! :v:

Edit to add: Or Minnesota Loons AFC. Minnesota Kicks appears to be off the table for now; someone must own the trademark and isn't selling it, otherwise the NASL would have acquired it by now.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 19, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hilario Grajeda almost opened the season with another trademark poo poo Call. I'm glad this wasn't the second time Rowe was called for a penalty for making a wonderful save.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Things that have been getting dunked on tonight:

1. StubHub Center
2. The LA Galaxy

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Morris and Dempsey just starched the Galaxy defense.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Things that have been getting dunked on tonight:

1. StubHub Center
2. The LA Galaxy

I wasn't expecting a while lot from us because of all this rain. We are terrible in it. We look Ok. I think on a dry field the score would be reversed, but I like the bright flashes I'm seeing.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Sounders looking good. Jovin Jones is a fantastic addition for them.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

That game was just ugly. It looked like there was a foot of standing water there at the end. At least the field held up.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

whypick1 posted:

In expansion news, this would indicate Minnesota and Atlanta are poised to join us next year, but the latter might make the former change their name off of "United".

Here's the best reason to want the opposite to happen:

https://twitter.com/BadMLSComics/status/700075653903691776

good.

the league already has one united too many so taking that dumb name off the table for other teams that haven't played a meaningful game is a smart move imho.

next step is renaming atlanta to the burn.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Fucitol posted:

next step is renaming atlanta to the burn.

New Brimstone Cup?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Need some Rovers or Rangers or Wanderers imo

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

For anyone interested (all three? of us) the Rapids are doing a "party" at Denver city hall for their 2016 jersey on March 10. Why? Simple, gotta drum up publicity for a team that has plummeted from "franchise record points in a season" to "franchise worst offensive output." The party is free and of course you can buy the new kit on site with "free customization". RSVP blah blah blah.

Supposedly it's the same basic designs, just stripes down the body instead of the sleeves. Whoop-de-do.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 18, 2016

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Hey, the ticket situation could be worse...

quote:

As the Yankees are continuously striving to implement technological advances to provide our fans with a ticketing experience that is unparalleled, convenient, safe and secure, the Yankees are excited to announce, as a complement to traditional hard stock paper tickets, the availability of mobile ticketing for the 2016 baseball season. Print-at-home paper tickets (PDFs) are being discontinued so as to further combat fraud and counterfeiting of tickets associated with print-at-home paper tickets (PDFs). In addition to traditional hard stock paper tickets, the Yankees will be offering the opportunity for fans to receive mobile tickets on a fan’s Smartphone.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Nocerino is officially an Orlando player. DC gets some Garberbucks in exchange.

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2016/02/18/orlando-city-acquires-italian-national-team-and-former-ac-milan-midfielder-antonio

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Hungryjack posted:

Hey, the ticket situation could be worse...

That sounds awesome (unless you don't own a smartphone). No real way to get a fake ticket there.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Not just some. It's in the $200-250K range according to reports. That's a decent bench, another game changer, a chance to turn Espindola into a zero cap player essentially, or worse. And DC didn't have to buy an old Italian who isn't very good. I like this.

Orlando paid for being dicks and DC turned a discovery claim into a quarter million and signed a 21-year old instead. I see zero downside.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Fucitol posted:

the league already has one united too many so taking that dumb name off the table for other teams that haven't played a meaningful game is a smart move imho.

Except that in this case the team losing the name has been playing meaningful games for a few years now under the United name, whereas the team that hasn't played any game at all yet is keeping the United name.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Need some Rovers or Rangers or Wanderers imo

This.

I have no problems with "Europoser" names, I'd just like to see some variety for a change. The marketing types still demonstrate a lack of historical awareness about soccer; they've dimly realized now that United is a thing and that FC exists, but they have no clue about what AFC is, and as you say lots of other interesting names, such as Rovers, Rangers, and Wanderers, are still completely missing from MLS.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 19, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if MLS teams want to use nicknames then they should actually put the tiniest bit of effort into thinking of a nickname that actually has relevance to their location, like "fire" or "sounders." if they're not willing to do that then just call the team "cityname FC" like toronto and dallas and pass the burden on to the fans.

poo poo like "united" (outside of DC where it kind of makes sense) and "rangers" and "wanderers" and "real" (end my life) is the most comically failed attempt to pander to premier league fans, and if that's indeed their goal in choosing such names, it's having the opposite effect. no one's problem with MLS names is that they're not european rip-offs. they are just loving embarrassing team identities, from top to bottom.

tldr it doesn't matter what the style of your team name is as long as it doesn't suck.

tldr2 oh and if you include "FC" in your team name and it doesn't explicitly stand for "football club" die in a fire

wicka fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 19, 2016

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

The Light Eternal posted:

That sounds awesome (unless you don't own a smartphone). No real way to get a fake ticket there.

It's not entirely benevolent. link The Yankees sent Lonn Troust, their COO, to explain the new policy on WFAN on Thursday morning.

quote:

Trost told WFAN, “The problem below market at a certain point is that if you buy a ticket in a very premium location and pay a substantial amount of money. It’s not that we don’t want that fan to sell it, but that fan is sitting there having paid a substantial amount of money for their ticket and [another] fan picks it up for a buck-and-a-half and sits there, and it frustrates the purchaser of the full amount.”

Trost then added a comment that raised eyebrows on social media because of its seemingly elitist undertones. “And quite frankly,” he said, “the fan may be someone who has never sat in a premium location. So that’s a frustration to our existing fan base.”

Meanwhile back in Rapids land, team president Tim Hinchey put a picture of a glass of wine, a British airways ticket and his passport on Instagram and said he's off to London. The peanut gallery is all a-flutter but he's probably just bragging he gets to go to London. link

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 19, 2016

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Do over Ham posted:

Except that in this case the team losing the name has been playing meaningful games for a few years now

Citation needed.

Either way I'm glad there will be less uniteds in this ragtag league. Maybe next we can work on the sporting's, the real's, and the city name fc's and stop trying to crib a culture that isn't ours anyway.

After that maybe i can be ever so lucky to watch my team's away games without subscribing to some obscure sports package that only at most services a tri-state area.

Maybe one day this league will put on some big boy pants and act like a viable entertainment venture.

Maybe.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Fucitol posted:

Citation needed.

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_United_FC

Minnesota faced an October 27, 2012 deadline to find new ownership to ensure a place in the NASL for the 2013 season. At the time the Minnesota Vikings expressed interest in professional soccer in Minnesota but were not contemplating purchasing the Stars.[26] The league planned to vote on whether or not to fund the team for the 2013 season after the conclusion of the 2012 season. The USSF requirement that owners of a Division II team to be worth at least $20 million and a potential MLS bid by the Minnesota Vikings were seen as possible deterrents to finding a potential new owner.[27] On November 9, 2012 the league officially announced that the team was purchased by Bill McGuire.[28] On March 5, 2013, that was followed up by the team rebranding with the name Minnesota United FC.[29] The $1.2 million budget that the Stars were operating on was expanded and the staff size increased to 20 employees for the start of the 2013 season,[30] and has since more than doubled.

They have been playing under that name for three years now. Atlanta United is still another year from playing its first match.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Let's check in with MLS Twitter and see what's new

:yikes:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Man, Applebee's Twitter sure is saucy. Who do they think they are, Chili's?

Also, judging from the first tweet, I think we found Simon Borg's alt account.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 19, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hoover Dam posted:

Let's check in with MLS Twitter and see what's new

:yikes:

this is the only time i've ever regretted blocking @soccerreform

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Jesus... soccerreform still posts????

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Applebee's food is poo poo, but I give them credit for good Twitter banter.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Jesus... soccerreform still posts????
Oh honey you have no idea

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

@Applebees, you alright

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Do over Ham posted:

They have been playing under that name for three years now. Atlanta United is still another year from playing its first match.

this is all well and good but i think you're loving with me now because i see no mention of meaningful games for Minnesota united loons dark cloud club de futbol.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Name them Atlanta Bergamasca Calcio :v:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Fucitol posted:

this is all well and good but i think you're loving with me now because i see no mention of meaningful games for Minnesota united loons dark cloud club de futbol.

Sure I am; but by that logic no MLS team has ever played a meaningful game either.

And in other news, Slyde be praised, my Revs season tickets have arrived and they are still using the card. Also, free see-through plastic tote bag included. :toot:

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I got my Dynamo season ticket yesterday as well. It looks like a credit card. Hopefully we just scan it at the gate without the silly "scan it, print it, walk over and scan the printout" nonsense.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Do over Ham posted:

Sure I am; but by that logic no MLS team has ever played a meaningful game either.

Hell, :agreed:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

TheBoyBlunder posted:

It's not entirely benevolent. link The Yankees sent Lonn Troust, their COO, to explain the new policy on WFAN on Thursday morning.

Meanwhile back in Rapids land, team president Tim Hinchey put a picture of a glass of wine, a British airways ticket and his passport on Instagram and said he's off to London. The peanut gallery is all a-flutter but he's probably just bragging he gets to go to London. link

The payoff is that he doesn't come back, right?

...right?

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Moktaro posted:

The payoff is that he doesn't come back, right?

...right?

After the last two years I hope you're right. :ohdear:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Couple of pre-seasons matches today including a look at the Loons. Check team sites for streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
This Goossens guy is great and Chicago better be all over him. Goal 4 minutes in.

• Locked thread