Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Presented without comment. Highlights are at 2:30 and 3:30. At my rink, but not my game or video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IucdBCAkOQ

That screen at 2:30 was nasty. Goalie didn't even move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

That screen at 2:30 was nasty. Goalie didn't even move.

He didn't move for almost all of the goals! What level would that be?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's Gold/Silver/Bronze, A and B of each. This is Silver B, so almost halfway up.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
That trip on orange 89 looked rough.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
White 21 had great seats to watch the game from.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Presented without comment. Highlights are at 2:30 and 3:30. At my rink, but not my game or video.

I'm confused, these are just goals, not outrageous cheap shots and/or attacks on the elderly.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

There's Gold/Silver/Bronze, A and B of each. This is Silver B, so almost halfway up.

It could just be the video (I think I always feel like the game is faster when I'm involved than when I look at video of it later), but this seems like a fairly sedate pace for being half-way up the tree. Is there a big gap between Gold and Silver?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm confused, these are just goals, not outrageous cheap shots and/or attacks on the elderly.

It was posted more for the "highlights" at 2:30 and 3:30, especially the latter.

bgreman posted:

It could just be the video (I think I always feel like the game is faster when I'm involved than when I look at video of it later), but this seems like a fairly sedate pace for being half-way up the tree. Is there a big gap between Gold and Silver?

Well, this northern California. Not exactly the hotbed of hockey. I'd say probably 80% of the players are in the Bronze B to Silver B range. The upper levels have significantly less teams.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

I have found my spirit animal.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bgreman posted:

That's why I was asking, I'm in a "C" league but there is so much variation between teams it's unreal. That game looked like what we play at.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I tried the "skate through the stick" thing at my game last night and made a general effort to be less of a wuss when playing in close to other players. I didn't come out with any pucks but I did knock quite a few loose. I also knocked one dude over but there was no call (we both went down). I also noticed that because I was playing in closer to guys instead of slowing up and giving them time I was forcing more bad passes.

We lost something like 10-2 (my league stops keeping track after a certain point) but at least I did a thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pressuring dudes is fun, it helps you realize they're just as uncertain as you are and the dumb poo poo they do in response makes hustling into their personal space worth it.

The checker almost never ends up with the puck, but if it ends up on the stick of a teammate feel good that you did a valuable thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
After not playing ice hockey for seven years, i've decided to go back to it. I was always absolutely terrible at shooting but pretty decent at getting in the way of people, except now most people can skate faster than me. The Stick n' Puck session usually devolves into "everyone chase the puck" so I always look terrible if i'm at the side of a 3 man contest for the puck and just waiting for the puck to fly out so I can pick it up.

My main question is how do I practice shooting with the puck if I live in England, with no decent place to practice except my one a week practice session. Everywhere around me is grass or concrete, so i'm worried i'm going to gently caress up my stick if I just head out to the smoothest bit of concrete i can find and try to learn how to get the loving thing off the ground.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy a sheet of HDPE or pay through the nose for a shooting pad (which is just HDPE branded as a hockey training device).

Local hardware stores may sell options too, I don't know if you have home depot over there but they sell a dry-erase type surface that gets pretty slick if you spray it down with silicone lubricant.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Our rink rental at the local arena got cancelled on Sunday due to a Bernie Sanders rally :(

Killing beer league, killing America. Vote Ted Cruz :911:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Vargatron posted:

Vote Ted Cruz :911:

I'm pretty sure you mean :canada:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

I have found my spirit animal.

That's a funny looking sloth. :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
dragging my Dad to learn to play hockey class tomorrow morning, the last time he played hockey was in 1971. I think curved sticks were just becoming a thing back then, so this should be pretty interesting.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Curved blades are a crutch anyways, I had a filthy backhand as an 8 year old with a flat stick.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Pleads posted:

Curved blades are a crutch anyways, I had a filthy backhand as an 8 year old with a flat stick.

gently caress yeah! My first stick was also a straight blade. $200 composite sticks with Ovi curves, those super light blue pucks, these kids today don't know how good they have it.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

dogstile posted:

After not playing ice hockey for seven years, i've decided to go back to it. I was always absolutely terrible at shooting but pretty decent at getting in the way of people, except now most people can skate faster than me. The Stick n' Puck session usually devolves into "everyone chase the puck" so I always look terrible if i'm at the side of a 3 man contest for the puck and just waiting for the puck to fly out so I can pick it up.

My main question is how do I practice shooting with the puck if I live in England, with no decent place to practice except my one a week practice session. Everywhere around me is grass or concrete, so i'm worried i'm going to gently caress up my stick if I just head out to the smoothest bit of concrete i can find and try to learn how to get the loving thing off the ground.

Shooting pad is probably the best. However I also have a bunch of street hockey sticks and ProPucks which work perfect for stickhandling on my concrete garage floor.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm finally rocking a high-end composite stick for the first time in my life and after one game it's chipping at the toe. Should I snap it and beg the warranty, or is this a thing that I have to come to grips with?

It feels like I'm holding nothing. I had no idea.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
what's the best way to find out what level play you're at? I played through middle school and then stopped and am picking the sport back up now at 23. I'm planning on going to some drop in hockey sessions and such before signing up for a league, but what benchmarks should I look for to see my level of play?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Unless you were a wunderkind you could probably do with some time at the lowest level that isn't for adults learning to skate. If you were particularly talented in your youth, it'll come back to you, and you'll know when it's time to move up.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

V for Vegans posted:

what's the best way to find out what level play you're at? I played through middle school and then stopped and am picking the sport back up now at 23. I'm planning on going to some drop in hockey sessions and such before signing up for a league, but what benchmarks should I look for to see my level of play?

I more or less did the same thing. I started back up in the C league of A, B, C. Now that team is in Division 4 of 6 divisions of a different, well organized league.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

V for Vegans posted:

you should email the league and see if they have a new player skate or otherwise ask how they plan on placing you on a team

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm finally rocking a high-end composite stick for the first time in my life and after one game it's chipping at the toe. Should I snap it and beg the warranty, or is this a thing that I have to come to grips with?

Yes try for a warranty. Usually most sticks are 90 days. They might not warranty a chipped toe though.

A chipped toe in one game would piss me off.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
our ancient grumpy goalie played in a game before ours and then in ours and was completely exhausted by the end of things. so, he gave up a soft goal late in our game and just sort of sat there on his butt for a while. we all REALLY wanted to get things over with. someone, I think it might have been a ref, yells at him "if you need to just push the button on your life alert"

i don't know why that was so funny but I'm not sure i've ever laughed harder in a hockey game

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That's a quality chirp

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'd snap it and use the warranty. The blade starting to chip is typically what has worn out first on my sticks. I've been lucky recently, but I had 2 Easton S19s a few years ago that both did this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What's the Ice Hockey scene in the UK like nowadays anyway? I used to be a roller hockey player and the only way to play there was to show up to the local team training sessions and just join in after saying hi to whoever is there and paying your share of floor time, is it the same for ice hockey?

I'm living near the Bracknell Bees/Basingstoke Bisons/Guildford Flames and I know I don't have a chance at playing with those guys, but are there any English goons who know of local clubs/leagues who can give me a brief overview? Stick n' Puck once a week is fine but if I get the chance i'd like to eventually do more than that.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Zip! can. He's the only UK goon I know that plays.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Our painkiller addicted goalie gave up after the 2nd goal, a high point slapshot he had all the time in the world to see, and texted the captain on his way out of the locker room that he quit. he's done this once before and rescinded his retirement the next day but so far I haven't heard anything. While getting a sub goalie every game for the next 20 sucks I'd rather have someone who tries instead of yelling "screen" and "skate harder" for 45 minutes while giving up the most basic shots all night.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Our alcoholic (and possibly other substance abusing) goalie on the lower div team I play on decided to go puck chasing around our zone in OT the other night after we had just rushed, he sort of met the puck, lost it, and their only forchecking forward lobbed it gently into the open net.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
My first time in goal is coming up next Saturday. I look forward to being some poor beginning women's team's sober but oblivious goalie.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I know people don't want to deal with cheapshotting bullshittery, but where I live now there are no leagues that allow any form of checking what so ever. I like to be able to at least bump people and not get two minutes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bumping people isn't checking, hth

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Rubbing is racing.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

sellouts posted:

I'm aware of that, but anything that would be called bumping gets called as a check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If bumping dudes was illegal, I would have been blacklisted from my league my first game.

Your refs need to lighten the gently caress up.

edit - well, maybe my second game. my first game I probably wandered aimlessly trying to figure out what the gently caress to do with myself.