Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

You should've named it "lets experience mycophobia" instead :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

One of the alternate names was "Phazon Mycophobia" but I didn't know if I should name the episode after the thing that gives you panic attacks.

Reposting for the new page:

FPzero posted:

I wanted to name the episode "90s XXX-treme" but that felt like it'd be giving off the wrong connotation.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
You are absolutely correct about the best fuckin suit in the entire series. It's :krad:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I, uh, think you meant you sounded like Morty rather than Rick there. Or at least I didn't hear any burps. :v:

Now I'm curious what the exception to the "coolest suit" thing is. I guess it's from another Prime game or you wouldn't have avoided mentioning it.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I don't think Metroid Prime could go fast enough for eSports commentary, but maybe that's just me.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Omega Shih Tzu was really annoying to fight because of the absurdly inconsistent hitbox. When I had little health left on my first try I decided gently caress around a bit and found out that a power bomb can destroy all of its armor. I won the fight in my second try and that felt great.

And yeah, the threat meter not reacting until you are in a Phazon pool is a bug, they fixed it in the Wii version.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I always imagined the glow as a membrane protecting us from phazon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

I always imagined the glow as a membrane protecting us from phazon.

Or just so much concentrated Phazon radiation (I KNOW RADIATION DOESNT WORK THAT WAY GOD) that it just distorts the surroundings.

Well its sorta typical since In Prime 3 Phazon can do whatever the gently caress it wants to

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
They changed the Phazon Suit a little bit for the loading screens in the Wii version. It's not actually any different in game, but the file menu plays a clip of Samus with her current suit when you load your save file. In the late-game clip for Prime 1, the Phazon Suit's lights are all blacked out save for the visor, and there are veins of phazon creeping up from the gun to cover Samus's entire right arm and shoulder.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I never knew that about the loading screens, huh. What I did know about versions differences and the Phazon Suit is that the collection animation changes for the PAL and Trilogy versions. Instead of the twitching pose that Samus explodes out of the Omega Pirate followed by the cool gun pose shown in the video, she instead just slowly stands up. It's way less cool but it's in pretty much every version other than the original NTSC release so unless you have that version, you won't be seeing it.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
We can now roll in Phazon indefinitely! I'm sure that note about 100% fatality rate from prolonged exposure doesn't matter. :buddy:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Aithon posted:

We can now roll in Phazon indefinitely! I'm sure that note about 100% fatality rate from prolonged exposure doesn't matter. :buddy:

Well we have the proper protective gear now, so we're not exposed at all! Science!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's no way that Phazon can be worse than the cold vacuum of space or a lava dungeon. Even when you fall into lava it doesn't immediately melt so I'd say we're gonna be fiiiiiine.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The in-game notes on the Phazon Suit describe it as some sort of viral corruption. I don't think that's how radiation works either, but like Death Trap said, Phazon does pretty much whatever the gently caress it wants.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah, this conversation will be easier to have at some point in the future, while I don't know much about this game or Prime 2 I know they go further into what Phazon is later in the trilogy. So let's hush for now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Well we have the proper protective gear now, so we're not exposed at all! Science!

The way to be protected from anything is to smear it all over yourself.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

The in-game notes on the Phazon Suit describe it as some sort of viral corruption. I don't think that's how radiation works either, but like Death Trap said, Phazon does pretty much whatever the gently caress it wants.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Logic, horrible stuff that should all rights cause ultra-cancer? Nah, it makes you magic.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KieranWalker posted:

Yeah, Phazon is a mixture of magic, nanites, bullshit, magic, pseudo-sentient virus, tiberium, magic, plant, mineral, unlimited energy source and...I mentioned magic right?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I rather like the original Phazon Suit design too, but the one they used in the final game is better:

This was their first in-game model for it, but while it looks pretty radio-active, Phazon isn't green so they redid it completely. Phazon isn't black or orange either, but the new suit looks super cool so who cares.

The final suit you get in every game in this trilogy is always really really cool lookin' and I appreciate it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Phazon Suit morphball was designed by Alienware and costs twice as much as the rest of her gear combined.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The phazon suit from 1 is my probably my second favorite suit from the Prime trilogy, because it's starkly different without looking dumb.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, Phazon is a mixture of magic, nanites, bullshit, magic, pseudo-sentient virus, tiberium, magic, plant, mineral, unlimited energy source and...I mentioned magic right?

Not enough to fully cover. Also it's psychic, the force, and from the Warp. It can reverse the polarity of the neutron flow and make baryonic tachyons. Phazon is Grade S Unobtanium Technobabble.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Thanks Space Pirates. ... Spairates.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Alkydere posted:

You forgot pure, distilled mad science, since that's what happens the second anyone touches the stuff.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

The way to be protected from anything is to smear it all over yourself.

Homeopathy!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We begin the Artifact fetch quest today.

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
I always thought Phazon smelled like ozone, what with all the electrical arcing and such.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Samoas are the superior cookie, I advise rationing them out to one a day so you can get the most out of them.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bellophon posted:

I always thought Phazon smelled like ozone, what with all the electrical arcing and such.

I figured it was a mix between blueberries and jet fuel.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Samoas are the superior cookie, I advise rationing them out to one a day so you can get the most out of them.

tagalong supremacy.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
For some reason, Phazon makes me think about the scent of paint.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 28, 2016

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Grapplejack posted:

tagalong supremacy.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Fae, I don't believe I've ever slid around on a dance floor in my socks.

...Though that sounds fun as hell.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Thin Mints or death no really, I'm allergic to nuts/coconut

The concept of radiation has always freaked me out, and I feel the Bad Idea Zone captures that sense of trepidation extremely well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

The concept of radiation has always freaked me out, and I feel the Bad Idea Zone captures that sense of trepidation extremely well.

Howdy allergy-bro. I even avoid chocolate due to contamination risks so it's Trefoils for me. Though if we go outside scout cookies I don't think anything beats ginger snaps scooped in vanilla ice cream.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bellmaker posted:

Light is radiation. You're welcome. Unironically if that helps you cope rather than freaking you out :)

I never actually went to a wedding as a kid but I did like sliding on slippery floors in socks.

Man, both series that contributed to the name Metroidvania are dead now. :smith:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

ginger snaps scooped in vanilla ice cream

Yes. A thousand times yes.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Bellmaker posted:

While I'm not allergic I can't help but echo this sentiment; thin mints are the best.

In regards to the Pirates dumbness, since it keeps coming up, while I don't believe it comes up in this game, iirc there is a compounding factor to their ridiculous stupidity; they're also insanely ambitious.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Phazon Mines is my favorite place. The constant eerie blue radiation being the only source of illumination for when you go deep enough, paired along with that creepy ambient geiger counter hum punctuated by angry metroids screeching being the only sound to accompany you through your descent... Love it. It's so atmospheric, and alien. Seeing the Phazon veins, it really sells the idea that this strange alien blue is going to wreck Tallon's ecology in 20 years time.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
Samoas and Nutella. You'll have to eat nothing but salads for a week afterwards, but it is decadently delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
My favorite Girl Scout story is the one of that girl who set up her cookie stand directly outside the front door of a marijuana dispensary. She was sold out in like an hour.

• Locked thread