Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

A Capt. Planet remake would almost have to be an overt parody or satire

Which is a shame because that's what it already is.. on accident.

Heaaart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Blazing Ownager posted:

Which is a shame because that's what it already is.. on accident.

Heaaart

No way the people producing Captain Planet didn't know it was lame and fruity as all gently caress and weren't laughing their asses off at all the educational grant money they managed to con with it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The very late 80s, early 90s was crazy about putting an environmental message into media.

There was a massive star-studded Earth Day special around 89-91. I think Shatner did a separate ecology special thing for TBS or something around that time. It seems like a lot of sci-fi and action movies had to work in a plot about how we're killing the planet or finally succeeded.

edit: YOu want your 4th BTTF film?! Here it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMFtKlHbKLY

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the loudest criticisms of the movie will be ones that are of the least consequence to the actual quality of the film, but social media personalities will prop up the loudest spouters of these illegitimate complaints as the primary detractors in order to increase their own subscriber and follower counts, while the movie tanks because none of these people actually bothered to see the film

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
why the gently caress do people care so much that they decided to make them 4 women instead of 4 men

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

because it's reverse-sexism dummy

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the loudest criticisms of the movie will be ones that are of the least consequence to the actual quality of the film, but social media personalities will prop up the loudest spouters of these illegitimate complaints as the primary detractors in order to increase their own subscriber and follower counts, while the movie tanks because none of these people actually bothered to see the film

That doesn't make GB2016 unique, though. That just puts it into the same category of a lot of 'average' films that got slammed. I know I've seen a lot of very low-scoring, low-earning flicks a few years after the initial internet hate wagon had ended and found myself being sort of surprised with how 'watchable' they were, nowhere near the disaster it was made out to be.

I just don't think for this film there is a quality or influential enough quantity of takedown social media personalities that can skew the preconceived audience perception into the negative that much unless the film actually IS total trainwreck. A bad film to the point that even the emphatically pro-change voices see the movie and do a complete "I'm still glad we got female ghostbusters, I'm just very sorry it was this movie..."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pitdragon posted:

why the gently caress do people care so much that they decided to make them 4 women instead of 4 men

Because Ghostbusters is a traditionally libertarian franchise. The appearance of women onscreen is taken as an example of affirmative action rewarding minorities who 'haven't earned it.' Note the thread's repeated emphasis on not knowing who these actors are.

In 2016, the libertarian audience is already catered to by the Iron Man franchise, and that series is held up as the 'normal' from which other films deviate. The title of this thread, for example, expresses typical concern that the nature of the Ghostbusters franchise will be 'darkened', robbed of its innocence, and otherwise corrupted/violated. Ghostbusters 3 must be opposed on the basis that it is degenerate art.

The concern over grimdarkness is of course mixed with anger over rumors that the film ends with a dance sequence, and the appearance of a bowtie-wearing cartoon. This isn't an accident; the degenerate enemy is simply a mix of contradictory traits. What matters is that they are not us.

The original Ghostbusters featured both rape and a cartoon marshmallow dressed as Donald Duck.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Because Ghostbusters is a traditionally libertarian franchise. The appearance of women onscreen is taken as an example of affirmative action rewarding minorities who 'haven't earned it.' Note the thread's repeated emphasis on not knowing who these actors are.

In 2016, the libertarian audience is already catered to by the Iron Man franchise, and that series is held up as the 'normal' from which other films deviate. The title of this thread, for example, expresses typical concern that the nature of the Ghostbusters franchise will be 'darkened', robbed of its innocence, and otherwise corrupted/violated. Ghostbusters 3 must be opposed on the basis that it is degenerate art.

The concern over grimdarkness is of course mixed with anger over rumors that the film ends with a dance sequence, and the appearance of a bowtie-wearing cartoon. This isn't an accident; the degenerate enemy is simply a mix of contradictory traits. What matters is that they are not us.

The original Ghostbusters featured both rape and a cartoon marshmallow dressed as Donald Duck.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

To be honest, the title was there just to make fun of the announcement trailer specifically, but I learned there was more to this thread than that.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
They should make a gender swapped Captain Planet movie where Planet is a lady with a huge green mullet trying to stop a sexy male model with a half mutilated face from giving nukes to Fem-Hitler.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

They should make a gender swapped Captain Planet movie where Planet is a lady with a huge green mullet trying to stop a sexy male model with a half mutilated face from giving nukes to Fem-Hitler.

I want to see Capt. Planet throughout the ages. A Civil War era Capt. Planet with a huge North and South mane of hair fighting a body horror Confederate doctor calling himself Sawbones. Revolutionary War Capt. Planet in powdered wig doling out environmentally safe barbs at Mme. Bathorywater and Wilhelm Whaleoil.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

that rear end is kinda fatty - poor definition. would not

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

JediTalentAgent posted:

A Capt. Planet remake would almost have to be an overt parody or satire of how badly received the old messages of the show would be recieved today.

"Remember, if you're planning a family, make it a SMALL one..."

Fox News: Capt. Planet or "Capt. Planned Parenthood?"

jesus christ could you imagine if they tried to put a pro-environment cartoon on network tv today? be a fuckin war

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Pitdragon posted:

because reddit MRAs have infiltrated gbs but no one will talk about it and everyone acts like im a crazy paranoid when i bring it up. ive got some pamphlets and youtube links id be happy to pm you

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pitdragon posted:

Because the 4 women are not funny.

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

quote:

In the Ghostbusters Universe, it is the mascot of the fictional Stay Puft Marshmallow Corporation (much like Michelin's Bibendum (aka "Michelin Man") and the Pillsbury Doughboy (both of which it resembles).
...It is also the subject of a (subsequent) Marshmallow Man cartoon series.

Dan Aykroyd conceived of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man for his initial script for Ghostbusters the movie. He created the character to show that "it seems harmless and puff and cute—but given the right circumstances, everything can be turned back and become evil". Stay Puft was only one of many large-scale monsters in this early draft of the script, but after Akroyd worked with co-writer Harold Ramis and director Ivan Reitman, the team scaled back the intended sequence until only Stay Puft remained out of the original large-scale monsters. The likeness of Stay Puft was inspired by Peter O'Boyle, a security guard at Columbia Pictures whom Reitman met while filming his previous movie, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983). According to Sam Delaney of The Guardian, "Stay Puft's familiar mascot combined elements of real-life brand ambassadors the Pillsbury Doughboy and Bibendum (a.k.a., the Michelin tire man)

I always thought Ghostbusters as a horror comedy.

Gonzo the Eggman fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 24, 2016

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pitdragon posted:

The truth is no one does but people are nutting their pants waiting for the outrage. This is what it has come to - waiting to be offended about imaginary people being offended.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mange Mite posted:

New robocop should have updated the ed209 scene so instead of a junior executive the robot accidentally shoots a 14 year old with a capgun

The new Robocop tricked me into thinking it was going to be good when an ED-209 gunned down a child in an open warfare scenario but then it was all downhill.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

polio king posted:

that rear end is kinda fatty - poor definition. would not

Huh interesting, thanks dude, huh *scribbles What a loving loser lol into notebook"

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

people are nutting their pants waiting for the outrage.

this is me

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It was pretty funny reasin about the MRA people screaming about how Mad Max was a feminazi films or whatever then actually watching it and imagining what people were thinking during certain bits. Biker-Granny says, "Kill all the men!" Then she survives juuuust long enough to hear, "JOE IS DEAD!" Then she dies with a peaceful smile on her face.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
can't think of a single reason why a band of women would hate men in that world

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
also the only reason reboots are made is to cash in on the name and franchise so just lol if you have any sort of expectations on any of them

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

SciFiDownBeat posted:

At the very least, this'll attract that special breed of sensitive nerd male who pretends to see the movie in order to keep the appearance up that he isn't one of those nerd males, while skimming through a screener or cam rip whenever someone questions him on a particularly bad scene

and like mad max I'm predicting another single article from a literally-who site like ROK that people report as evidence for a global redpill revolution

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I meant it was funny imagining what reddit activists were thinking during those scenes, not the film makers. Just to clarify.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm eagerly awaiting the episode of Big Bang Theory when the guys are waiting in line for days to watch this movie and are dressed up as the girls in perfect cosplay for opening night.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the episode of Big Bang Theory when the guys are waiting in line for days to watch this movie and are dressed up as the girls in perfect cosplay for opening night.

Same, except I gently caress Harold's mom.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, they dress up as the original Ghostbusters, which leads to them being physically and verbally assaulted at the theater for creating a hostile atmosphere for dressing like that. One of the guys is openly crying.

"I knew putting the uniform back on was a mistake! It's just like my uncle's funeral, all over again!"

One of the female characters shows up and explains, no, they're not being sexist any more than women who show up dressed as the female ghostbusters are sexist. They're just showing their support of foolish superstitious belief in the idea of an afterlife, which is nearly as bad, but it's based out of love, not hate.

A guy emerges from the crowd with a 64oz drink and throws it at her face and calls her a sex-traitor (He then scurries onto screen to grab the cup off the ground and says, "I need to get a refill, I'll be right back!") In shock, she manages to continue to stand there, defending the men, until a woman pushes though the crowd, calling her a bitch, and hits her in the head with a napkin dispenser, knocking her to the ground.

Her ghost levitates from her body and ascends into a white light.

"Wow, if I was wrong about the afterlife, I wonder if I was wrong about the guys not being hateful about the Ghostbusters costumes." She stops her ascent into the heavens and instead decides to reenter her body.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Big Bang Theory / Lady Ghostbusters Fan Fiction ITT

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

reallivedinosaur posted:

Big Bang Theory / Lady Ghostbusters Fan Fiction ITT

Leonard has the hots for Kirsten Wiig's character and wishes Penny would roleplay as her, Howard digs shegon, the indian guy wants to eat some dark meat from the tall black sassy lady, and Sheldon gets to roast melissa mccarthy because amy doesn't like him anymore.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
its going to suck, and not because its 4 women, because its just a lovely modern day sequel like everything else

dunno why theres a 16 page thread abou tit though

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

gargle chome posted:

its going to suck, and not because its 4 women, because its just a lovely modern day sequel like everything else

dunno why theres a 16 page thread abou tit though

Actually the 4 women do suck because they succeed in not making a single joke or making situational comedy for the whole length of the film.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
drat taint reaped again

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
A good comedian always improvises even when given a script.

None of them can even do that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tato posted:

I'm the girl in the back trying to escape this misery

lmaoooooooo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Ya know I kinda half suspect that the hospital pictures are all a very clever joke, but I know deep down that there's no way the people making this film are that smart or funny.

What I don't get is why this movie is a remake and not a sequel. Make it take place in a time when the Ghostbusters have franchised their stuff out.

I'm no writer or anything but I'd imagine that it would allow for cameos that make sense and would allow for a whole new range of jokes and situations that aren't just "like the old one but worse"

Edit: plus they wouldn't be replacing any ghostbusters with f-f-females, rather just making entirely new characters that don't even need to attempt to fit an established mold

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it also seems super piss poor taste to wear a shirt with a skull on it to a pediatrics ward but lmao this image is like a wheres waldo of hosed up poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
when you make your film critic proof you don't really need to think too hard about how tasteless your promotions are

• Locked thread