Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Possibly Chicken posted:

Do you blame him?

Denny fan since he started. I was actually cheering for both and thought Truex had it. I was happy for him, I love underdog (With best Toyota equipment available) stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Possibly Chicken posted:

Do you blame him?

No, I couldn't have been pulling for Truex any harder than I was. But it would be nice if DW could maintain a shred of non-bias. Not that there's any reason to expect his senile rear end to.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Needs More Ditka posted:

I used to watch NASCAR around the late 2000s, and I guess I just kind of fell out of it for some reason, but I'm looking to get back in. I've watched some Youtubes of the Keselowski feuds with Harvick, Hamlin, Gordon, and Kenseth, and I'm wondering if there's a reason to dislike him other than he's a young, hot-head chaos racer? I kind of have a soft spot for chaos racers, and I don't tend to be fond of the veteran "enforcers" of made-up sports standards, and that's kind of the narrative I got from my viewing, but I don't want to be wrong and start rooting for an actual headhunter.

Also Kasey Kahne was my guy way back when, does he still have smoke coming out of his engine once a race?

Kez races hard but not dirty. Kahne has been mediocre in Hendrick equipment but still decent enough to contend. Pick whoever strikes your fancy, have fun with it, and don't take any of this poo poo too seriously. I find it's a lot easier to enjoy NASCAR if you can just roll with how dumb a lot of it has gotten. Or at least burrow the shame deep inside you.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DEMAG posted:

I'm just going to turn on SAP from now on.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/h...dium=socialflow

Was it the 2012 Indy 500 or the Truck race at Talladega that ended in "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!.....wahhhh...." when the wreck happened?

This is almost as good as that.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Pick whoever strikes your fancy, have fun with it, and don't take any of this poo poo too seriously. I find it's a lot easier to enjoy NASCAR if you can just roll with how dumb a lot of it has gotten. Or at least burrow the shame deep inside you.

^ This is pro advice, Ditka. If you can take this (Footbaseketballkey On Wheels) with a grain of salt, it's much more fun. The problem (at least for me) has been transitioning from genuine caring to being content kicking up my feet and watching the world burn. Just shake your head at the stupidity every time Brian France-era NASCAR rolls out their Next Great Idea! and you'll have a good time.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Just don't pick Joey Logano or Greg Biffle

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Parmesan Basil posted:

Blue and White #2 with Rusty on the hood. I don't know the year.

I think those were like the mid 90's to the 2000's cars maybe? MGD ones were the poo poo. Back when I was young and impressionable and had no idea how NASCAR actually worked I wrote Rusty a fan letter asking why they switched from the MGD car to the Miller Lite car because the MGD car was so much better. He actually wrote back and explained the whole thing, or somebody wrote back anyway. I was impressed with it at the time at least.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Neodoomium posted:

Just don't pick Joey Logano or Greg Biffle

Goddammit! Why won't people stick with Biff...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

DEMAG posted:

Goddammit! Why won't people stick with Biff...
Preachin' to the choir. I've had a Biffle avatar since who knows when. I had one when he was being a particularly big rear end calling somebody a donkey or something and then a couple years later he weirdly became like really good for a season and I haven't changed it since then. I'm probably due to update it to reflect his current skill level.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kez races hard but not dirty. Kahne has been mediocre in Hendrick equipment but still decent enough to contend. Pick whoever strikes your fancy, have fun with it, and don't take any of this poo poo too seriously. I find it's a lot easier to enjoy NASCAR if you can just roll with how dumb a lot of it has gotten. Or at least burrow the shame deep inside you.

I watch WWE. I don't think I'll have any problems with burrowing shame within me.

CBJSprague24 posted:

^ This is pro advice, Ditka. If you can take this (Footbaseketballkey On Wheels) with a grain of salt, it's much more fun. The problem (at least for me) has been transitioning from genuine caring to being content kicking up my feet and watching the world burn. Just shake your head at the stupidity every time Brian France-era NASCAR rolls out their Next Great Idea! and you'll have a good time.

I really like that analogy because this is my Sunday football replacement (on days they're actually on a major network anyway. No FS1 or NBCS makes watching sports really, really difficult :( )

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Oh, you're gonna fit in here just fine. :hfive:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I like Biffle. He has everything working against him: he's too old, has no connections, and is weird-looking. And yet, he's managed to accomplish quite a bit in a sport that values youth, connections and attractiveness. It's genuinely impressive.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh, you're gonna fit in here just fine. :hfive:

so would you say this is an accurate depiction of Brian France-era NASCAR as well?

http://boards.420chan.org/wooo/src/1456111910412.webm

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

We need more fans of that no-necked, moon-landing denying, stubborn son of a bitch in the 31.

And by more, I mean more than just me.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
I can't believe this poo poo pile finished p5. Toyota has finally found the speed drivers have been bitching about for the past 3 years.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

Neodoomium posted:

Just don't pick Joey Logano

You son of a bitch. How dare you!

Exi7wound fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 23, 2016

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Yeah you're a monster if you don't like #jolo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Needs More Ditka posted:

so would you say this is an accurate depiction of Brian France-era NASCAR as well?

As the car pulls away, it reveals "Good Thing" in that space. All but like 5 of the "Good Ideas" to the left and right ahead are replaced by "Bad Ideas" (indicating NASCAR could go hard left or right and still hit a "Bad Idea").

NASCAR still hits the "Bad Idea" in the last row, but perpetually cycles back to the original parking spot to try again, occasionally hitting one of the "Good Ideas" (double-file restarts, spoiler, maybe the aero package) but usually still low-speed colliding with the same "Bad Idea".

All I know is I really want a replication of last night's Raw, with Brian France playing Vince and Tony Stewart playing the role of Shane.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 23, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Needs More Ditka posted:

It's more Sideshow Bob and the rakes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Exi7wound posted:

You son of a bitch. How dare you!

Please stop posting Gilbert Gottfried pics

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
In news completely from left field, SHR will field Fords starting in 2017.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

VikingSkull posted:

In news completely from left field, SHR will field Fords starting in 2017.

This struck me as totally odd. Does Ford have an edge over Chevy at this point?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

anotherblownsave posted:

This struck me as totally odd. Does Ford have an edge over Chevy at this point?

Not at the moment. What they do have is a boatload of cash and a renewed interest in other forms of motorsport now that the GT is out in the wild.

This is Ford pivoting from the Roush heydays, through the last couple of years not caring about anything but the GT, and now what is likely a renewed NASCAR effort with SHR as the anchor team.

It's a good move for SHR, bad for me 'cause I ain't rooting for no Ford.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I'm not a Ford fan but this makes sense. There are too many teams attached to Chevy let alone Hendrick. Ford has only Penske so they can grow.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I wonder if this is related to Haas F1 somehow....

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:stare:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I wonder if this is related to Haas F1 somehow....

half of their car is built by ferrari and they use ferrari's wind tunnel to design it (windshear isn't legal in F1) so it would be quite an enormous undertaking for them to change engine suppliers

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

half of their car is built by ferrari and they use ferrari's wind tunnel to design it (windshear isn't legal in F1) so it would be quite an enormous undertaking for them to change engine suppliers

well that's good because I don't think Ford has an F1 engine atm

shame Haas signed that lifetime contract with Ferrari, though

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wow, that's...random. Smoke has always struck me as a Chevy guy, so :wtc:?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And SHR, at least the 4 and 41, most definitely "ain't broke".

e- I mean what the hell would be the incentive of leaving Chevy for Ford?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 24, 2016

ECU_Drummer
Jul 8, 2012

Yup.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

At least Tony ain't driving no Ford.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

well that's good because I don't think Ford has an F1 engine atm

shame Haas signed that lifetime contract with Ferrari, though

don't be an rear end, viking, you know fuckall about F1. the entire raison d'etre of the haas team is to build as little as possible in-house and thus advertise the haas brand for as little cost as possible, while still punching above what a team on their budget is normally capable of doing. they don't have any facilities of their own with which to design a car. they don't build any of the car themselves. the body is built by dallara. engine, transmission, suspension, anything that ferrari can legally sell them, they do. to suggest that ford could replace ferrari would be suggesting that haas invests hundreds millions more into effectively building a brand new team. you're suggesting that haas build their own wind tunnel. and you're suggesting that he's scrapped his entire plan before the car has even turned a wheel in anger.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

don't be an rear end, viking, you know fuckall about F1. the entire raison d'etre of the haas team is to build as little as possible in-house and thus advertise the haas brand for as little cost as possible, while still punching above what a team on their budget is normally capable of doing. they don't have any facilities of their own with which to design a car. they don't build any of the car themselves. the body is built by dallara. engine, transmission, suspension, anything that ferrari can legally sell them, they do. to suggest that ford could replace ferrari would be suggesting that haas invests hundreds millions more into effectively building a brand new team. you're suggesting that haas build their own wind tunnel. and you're suggesting that he's scrapped his entire plan before the car has even turned a wheel in anger.

like I said man, shame he signed that lifetime contract with Ferrari and can't plan to join up with Ford at some point in the future

good thing we have F1 experts like yourself to keep us in check

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

like I said man, shame he signed that lifetime contract with Ferrari and can't plan to join up with Ford at some point in the future

good thing we have F1 experts like yourself to keep us in check

why do you insist on being such an twat for literally no reason at all

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

be nice wicka posted:

Be nice

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

why do you insist on being such an twat for literally no reason at all

because Haas partnered with Hendrick for literally the same reasons he partnered with Ferrari and now he's leaving that alliance

it's almost as if sometimes people use smaller plans to achieve a bigger goal

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

More factory support, I guess.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

because Haas partnered with Hendrick for literally the same reasons he partnered with Ferrari and now he's leaving that alliance

it's almost as if sometimes people use smaller plans to achieve a bigger goal

it's almost like haas' partnership with ferrari is vastly more involved than his with hendrick and would take years to get out of

it's almost like you know literally nothing about f1 and should stop running your mouth

ECU_Drummer
Jul 8, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wow, that's...random. Smoke has always struck me as a Chevy guy, so :wtc:?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And SHR, at least the 4 and 41, most definitely "ain't broke".

$$$$$

That and not being 3rd in line behind Childress. Childress has history and money and puts out engine packages for smaller teams, but performance is just not there. Maybe they saw it from that perspective of "hey, we've had a team in the final round of the chase last 2 years and won one of them, yet we're not on the same level as this guy whos cars haven't done dick lately"

Just my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

it's almost like haas' partnership with ferrari is vastly more involved than his with hendrick and would take years to get out of

it's almost like you know literally nothing about f1 and should stop running your mouth

so they do have a lifetime contract with Ferrari is what you're telling me

• Locked thread