Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
You see, the joke is that there was a man named Aaron Brooks who played quarterback for the New Orleans Saints in the mid-2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ALFbrot posted:

You see, the joke is that there was a man named Aaron Brooks who played quarterback for the New Orleans Saints in the mid-2000s.

Also there is/was a basketball man by the same name.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

is ricketts the kind of owner who is going to keep the payroll really high or is he gonna gut this thing after a couple of years cub fans?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Retail Slave posted:

Is he a reclaimation project? Otherwise, why trade a guy like Coglan who was a good guy to have off the bench for nothing?

My guess is money. $5m for a 5th outfielder is high.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Scob posted:

is ricketts the kind of owner who is going to keep the payroll really high or is he gonna gut this thing after a couple of years cub fans?

I think if a high payroll (and a winning team) is profitable, he'll keep it up. I'm sure he knows that the Cubs being good means increased attendance, merch sales, more national tv games, etc. He seems to be the first Cubs owner just about ever who gives a poo poo about winning.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scob posted:

It wasn't until last offseason that he let Epstein open up the checkbook and he's nowhere near a contract extension for Epstein, so ... God only knows. Probably depends on the health of his other investments.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Groucho Marxist posted:

Good job on MLB altering slide rules for safety reasons and then getting rid of the neighborhood play, which exists for safety reasons

I found this extremely odd as well. Let's make a better rule where players have to slide to the bag and not at players, but then let's make sure that the second baseman has to stand on the bag so he gets slid into!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It would be extremely good if Donald Trump somehow tanked the Cubs via Ricketts.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
A guy on BCB put up a theoretical OF/C rotation and with a tweak or 2 I really like it:

Montero catches 3 games out of 5, Ross 1/5

Game 1: Schwarber LF Heyward CF Soler RF, Fowler bench
Game 2: Schwarber LF Fowler CF Heyward RF, Soler bench
Game 3: Soler LF Fowler CF Heyward RF Schwarber C
Game 4: Soler LF Fowler CF Heyward RF, Schwarber bench
Game 5: Schwarber LF Fowler CF Soler RF, Heyward bench

You can also do Fowler LF Heyward CF Soler RF depending on park/opposing lineup but any way you slice it RF just got a major upgrade and LF will remain a defensive black hole

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I assume they're hoping that changing the slide rules will make the neighborhood play redundant or something but seems like they're jumping the gun a little bit

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Cueto contract already paying dividends.

What is this? A team for Ants?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Scob posted:

The Ricketts don't give the impression of being tight fisted in the least if they're paying for quality i.e. Non-tanking seasons. I don't thing we'll really know their upper limits till last years rookie crop heads towards their FA years and the Cubs start working on their combined TV deal along with the Wrigley rehab finishing up, so around 2019-2020. I doubt they're going to end up with Dodgers style gently caress You money, but I'd expect the Cubs to be top tier payrolls for a long time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Cueto contract already paying dividends.

I'm surprised Trump hasn't called for having him investigated for spreading terrorist propaganda.

http://iant.com/

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I was about to talk about how Fowler helps with the team's strikeout issues and then I remember Fowler struck out more than any Cub not named Kris Bryant last year

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

A guy on BCB put up a theoretical OF/C rotation and with a tweak or 2 I really like it:

You can also do Fowler LF Heyward CF Soler RF depending on park/opposing lineup but any way you slice it RF just got a major upgrade and LF will remain a defensive black hole

What the gently caress is this and why would you have Jason Heyward start only 130 games.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

and the Cubs start working on their combined TV deal along with the Wrigley rehab finishing up, so around 2019-2020. I doubt they're going to end up with Dodgers style gently caress You money

The TV deal bubble is already bursting, so I'd be shocked if the Cubs don't see a semi-significant payroll decrease after they get a whole lot less money than they're expecting from their combined media contract.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

Have they said that Schwarber will catch much? I figured he might get a handful of starts but would mostly be an emergency option. Montero is still under contract through next season and isn't Contreras seen as the more likely long-term option at C?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Have they said that Schwarber will catch much? I figured he might get a handful of starts but would mostly be an emergency option. Montero is still under contract through next season and isn't Contreras seen as the more likely long-term option at C?

They clearly want Schwarber to stick at catcher because anyone can see that he's getting fatter every year and his routes in left were somehow worse than Bryant's, but, man, he is really bad at it. I'd guess that Montero is trade bait, but the idea of a Schwarber / Contreras platoon at C just made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think Montero is trade bait. Don't they really value pitch framing which Montero is really good at?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Holy poo poo. This gives me goosebumps. The way I learned this news, I was scrolling down my Twitter feed and this video popped up, entitled "Theo Epstein on re-signing Dexter Fowler". From his dour expression and matter of fact tone, I figured the video was simply about him trying to re-sign Dex, but as it got to the end and I realized that we was talking about actually re-signing Dex, I audibly cheered to myself. I love Fowler and this news is the absolute greatest. I wonder if I can buy a discounted jersey before the Wrigleyville sports stores realize he's coming back. :cheers:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Niwrad posted:

If they are going to use Schwarber as a catcher in the long run, they have to find ways to get him considerably more playing time at catcher. I haven't read anything that suggests that he will get more MLB time at catcher, I just don't see why they wouldn't try with Montero hopefully moving to catching Lester more often, and Ross getting less time as he moves toward retirement/irrelevance as an MLB catcher.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Ricketts is only cheap when he needs to stiff stadium workers or get rooftop contracts voided

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tadashi posted:

If they are going to use Schwarber as a catcher in the long run, they have to find ways to get him considerably more playing time at catcher. I haven't read anything that suggests that he will get more MLB time at catcher, I just don't see why they wouldn't try with Montero hopefully moving to catching Lester more often, and Ross getting less time as he moves toward retirement/irrelevance as an MLB catcher.

Problem there is that Lester is incapable of throwing a good pitch unless he's able to lovingly stare into Ross's eyes for a few seconds beforehand.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Cubs were "poor" when it benefited them to be poor. Now they don't need to be.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Ricketts is currently in the process of tearing buildings down across from Wrigley to put up a hotel complex. They want to develop that entire block around them to be a Cubs-centric money making machine. He definitely realizes that spending money on a good team will make him more money, especially as they further develop Wrigley and the area around it. I don't think the payroll is going to fall significantly anytime soon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DeepDickPizza posted:

Ricketts is currently in the process of tearing buildings down across from Wrigley to put up a hotel complex. They want to develop that entire block around them to be a Cubs-centric money making machine.

Too bad the stadium is a garbage scow.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Schwarber needs to stick SOMEWHERE because his bat projects out to the stratosphere but he has to figure out how to be something close to a below average C or LF since they already have All-Stars slotted in for the usual "Fat guy with big bat, but he's gotta play the field somewhere" positions.

Or the Cubs can hope the DH comes to the NL sometime this decade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Retail Slave posted:

Also there is/was a basketball man by the same name.

Indeed there is

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress did the Cubs come out of this offseason with both Fowler and Heyward? I'm completely at a loss, that is amazing. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming.

Please don't trade Soler.

EDIT:

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 25, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Imagine how different the offseason would have been if Fowler took the QO right away at $16m/1yr, I don't think the Cubs pursue Heyward as aggressively or make as many of the smaller moves for bullpen/back end rotation depth

Instead they get Heyward AND pick up Fowler on a 2 year deal that (with option) is only $1m more than the initial QO, what a time to be alive

Popete posted:

Please don't trade Soler.

Soler should stick as the 4th OF, which is fine because as a starter he probably would have missed 50 games due to injury anyway

So what does the 25-man look like now

1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant
IF La Stella
UT Baez
C Montero
C Ross

LF/C Schwarber
OF Fowler
OF Heyward
RF Soler
OF Szczur? (mostly because I think he's out of options)

SP Arrieta
SP Lester
SP Lackey
SP Hammel
SP Hendricks
RP Wood
RP Warren
RP Cahill
RP Grimm
RP Richard
SU Strop
CL Rondon

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 25, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Really enjoying the increasing theatricalty of contract signing in pro sports. If inly Dex had physically ripped off an Os jersey. We're getting closer.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

:)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wonder how many teams the Cubs had to call to find someone willing to give up an optionable MLB-ready pitcher for Coughlan or if they just feel they're still in debt to Billy for the Samardzija deal and knew he'd keep quiet about their talks?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Jays signed Dom Brown to a minor-league deal.

Remember when there was a rumoured Brown/Bautista deal, and some people were in favour of it from a Toronto perspective? Good times.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

The Jays signed Dom Brown to a minor-league deal.

Remember when there was a rumoured Brown/Bautista deal, and some people were in favour of it from a Toronto perspective? Good times.

I think there were Dom Brown to every team rumors at some point.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Unless Coghlan was all in for a ring it'll probably be a net positive for him going to Oakland, he moves from a 4th/5th OF slot to a potential LF starter/platoon job that will hopefully help him land a much bigger contract going into his age 32 season in 2017.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

CubsWoo posted:

Imagine how different the offseason would have been if Fowler took the QO right away at $16m/1yr, I don't think the Cubs pursue Heyward as aggressively or make as many of the smaller moves for bullpen/back end rotation depth

Instead they get Heyward AND pick up Fowler on a 2 year deal that (with option) is only $1m more than the initial QO, what a time to be alive

Soler should stick as the 4th OF, which is fine because as a starter he probably would have missed 50 games due to injury anyway

So what does the 25-man look like now

1B Rizzo
2B Zobrist
SS Russell
3B Bryant
IF La Stella
UT Baez
C Montero
C Ross

LF/C Schwarber
OF Fowler
OF Heyward
RF Soler
OF Szczur? (mostly because I think he's out of options)

SP Arrieta
SP Lester
SP Lackey
SP Hammel
SP Hendricks
RP Wood
RP Warren
RP Cahill
RP Grimm
RP Richard
SU Strop
CL Rondon

lmao if you think $8mil would've deterred the Cubs from spending any differently this offseason

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

tadashi posted:

I wonder how many teams the Cubs had to call to find someone willing to give up an optionable MLB-ready pitcher for Coughlan or if they just feel they're still in debt to Billy for the Samardzija deal and knew he'd keep quiet about their talks?

Aaron Brooks is bad

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Sydin posted:

Problem there is that Lester is incapable of throwing a good pitch unless he's able to lovingly stare into Ross's eyes for a few seconds beforehand.

Watching Lester pitch in Boston was the most boring baseball ever- having to sometimes wait a full minute between pitches while Lester and Ross just stared at each other uggghhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

Good job on MLB altering slide rules for safety reasons and then getting rid of the neighborhood play, which exists for safety reasons

I don't think they're getting rid of the neighborhood play, just making it reviewable so that the ones where a neighborhood play is called with the fielder an unreasonable distance away can get a second look instead of last year's "Welp, sorry, unreviewable"

ManifunkDestiny posted:

lmao if you think $8mil would've deterred the Cubs from spending any differently this offseason

I was thinking of it more from thinking the Cubs had the outfield need filled so they might have offered something similar to what the Cards did instead of the wacky multiple opt-out deal they ended up with

• Locked thread