Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Tbf I've been looking for a conversation partner to practice Gaelic pronunciation with and no one seems to speak the drat language anymore. I say bring back mandatory Irish in schools. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Maybe I'm optimistic but I think most of our politicians fantasize about power largely in respect of how they can use it, rather than for its own sake. Apart from Alan Kelly anyway, who probably just has erotic fantasies about being Frank Underwood.

In other news, I thought this was quite cool. A government of the below makeup would certainly be more interesting at the least.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

happyhippy posted:

I think you're being charitable they have thought past 'put up Irish flag at Stormount, change money back to punt, change road signs to irish, force kids to learn irish in primary school'.

You forgot making St Mary's the only teaching college.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Coohoolin posted:

Tbf I've been looking for a conversation partner to practice Gaelic pronunciation with and no one seems to speak the drat language anymore. I say bring back mandatory Irish in schools. Please.

Téigh ar ais go Sasana tú bastaird Breataine.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Alan Shatter just couldn't get through the election without one quick blast of his trademark crazy campaignin

https://twitter.com/AlanShatterTD/status/702903928837545986

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

happyhippy posted:

I understood all of that! Problem is I have no idea if I'm pronouncing it correctly, hence the need for a conversation partner.

Although wouldn't it be "Téigh tú bastaird Breataine ar ais go Sasana"? Or does VSO not apply for imperatives?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Coohoolin posted:

Has it been removed? When i was in secondary it was mandatory.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Coohoolin posted:

It's still mandatory. Just taught awfully and used so little in everyday life that it's hard to get kids to see the point of learning it.

Though Gaelscoils do a good job instilling the language as all classes are taught in Irish. My sister went to the local one and she speaks it very well, so though some cousins and neices/nephews. But you'll still have issues with pronunciation, she found people from Gaeltacht areas have their own dialect. So the Gaeltacht in Galway, the Gaeltacht in Donegal and the Irish in schools will all be spoken with some differences.

kustomkarkommando posted:

But was biffo worse?

Biffo was incompetent and a drunk but I almost feel bad for him. Sure he handled the crisis as badly as could have been. But I get the feeling he never expected it to be a hard job, probably thought the country was doing well and wouldn't need much in the way of leading.

Before it all went tits up I remember the man used to be visiting the pubs of his constituency. He'd buy a round at the pubs in town and be absolutely hammered by last call. I'd say that was his goal, to be the well liked Taoiseach splashing the cash around and being hammered most nights.

I'd almost think Bertie saw the crash coming and picked him for incompetence. Someone to make a balls up of it so the public wouldn't look to the previous leadership.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 26, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

happyhippy posted:

Funny thing, A council notice has been posted outside a potential private (??) car park near UL* (which would still be 30 minutes walk from some lecture halls), presumably for development. An English sign was posted years before, ignored presumably due to the decline in numbers attending UL and taken down. A new note has come up over the same car park, in Irish only. I know not what it portends, only it coincides with the massive numbers of international students attending UL in the past year. A demolition/alteration notice not 5km away was posted in English. Why post strategic council notices in Irish if others are in English? Why not post both? gently caress the Irish language if it's to be used to this effect.

*UL = University of Limerick.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 26, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the real purpose of modern irish is to woo/intimidate foreigns

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I do both every day at work. A 60 year old told me my voice was "sexy" this week.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Good luck today guys!

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Labour, officially the 7th most left-wing party in Ireland.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Housing was not mentioned enough during the campaign imo. It's still the main thing influencing my thoughts of leaving the country.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Blut posted:

Labour, officially the 7th most left-wing party in Ireland.

The Communist Party isn't on there so 8th

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Just wanna say I very much approve of the thread tag.

I'd like to vote Social Democrat but they're not running anyone here (Cork North Central). I'll probably vote AAA, if the rain ever lets up.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

Alan Shatter just couldn't get through the election without one quick blast of his trademark crazy campaigning

Whenever I see the name Alan Shatter I don't think "break into many pieces" so much as "one who shats".

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Savings Clown posted:

Whenever I see the name Alan Shatter I don't think "break into many pieces" so much as "one who shats".

He is fairly resilient to damage that would break any other politician and is known for making GBS threads the bed so I think this makes sense

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The fact Shatter is probably going to get re-elected is loving ridiculous by the way

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Successfully managed to vote, despite the rain. Guys in the polling station were asking for ID for younger people only.

My ancestors spoke to me through the Blood and tried to get me to vote FF, but I successfully resisted and gave the SocDem candidate my #1.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
When are the results expected?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

When are the results expected?

Tomorrow afternoon-ish, the exit polls are coming out in the morning (7am-9am ish) and then it will be a slow dribble of counts that will probably continue on well into the evening for constituencies that go into like 5th and 6th counts

There's still about another hour and half until the polls close.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 26, 2016

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What time will counting start?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

What time will counting start?

I think it's about 10am or so - RTE's election coverage runs from 10am all day until 3am on Sunday

The Irish Times has a story up indicating that the youth of today seem to follow the proud traditions of their forebearers

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
How is the turnout looking? I tuned in to RTE earlier and they were saying it was lower than last GE

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

5th and 6th counts aren't really that long by the way, the big marathon counts will be in the 5 seaters with loads of candidates- Wicklow went to 19 counts in 2011 before they got that settled - so some of the more dramatic seats will be keeping p. late in the day

Cabinet posted:

How is the turnout looking? I tuned in to RTE earlier and they were saying it was lower than last GE

I haven't heard anything official yet but the chat is that it's looking lower than 2011 especially in urban areas - wait and see if there's any truth to that though

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I will be very surprised if turnout is lower. I hope to god its not.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

I will be very surprised if turnout is lower. I hope to god its not.

https://twitter.com/elainekeogh10/status/703322937332473860

from twitter though

And from the horse's mouth

https://twitter.com/MartinaFitzg/status/703335876336721920

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 26, 2016

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Christ, come on Louth. Do better than that!

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
Ah here, and I was expecting a lift in the turnout after the Marriage Referendum business. Well we won't know til tomorrow; I'm pessimistic enough to think FF will saunter back in like nothing happened, but optimistic enough to hope that there's a sizable opposition neutering the worst of their policies.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2016-irish-times-exit-poll-shows-coalition-well-short-of-overall-majority-1.2550489

Exit poll indicates coalition well short of majority. And voters have memory of goldfish as Fianna Fail trail not far behind in second place.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Though that's a solid result for SF it still falls short of what they where polling months ago and is well below their aspirations (kind of fits into the narrative of the last couple of polls showing the campaign stalling).

The Greens are almost back at 2007 levels as well :psyduck:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

God drat it can anything kill Fianna Fail

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Though that's a solid result for SF it still falls short of what they where polling months ago and is well below their aspirations (kind of fits into the narrative of the last couple of polls showing the campaign stalling).

The Greens are almost back at 2007 levels as well :psyduck:

A person I know on said on Facebook they were polled coming out. They were only asked for their top 2 preferences so could see some differences when transfers are taken into account.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

God drat it can anything kill Fianna Fail

What is dead can never die....

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If that exit poll holds true it would put FG back at below 2007 levels.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If there's only 3.2% between FF and FG on first preferences another election within the year is looking even more likely

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If there's only 3.2% between FF and FG on first preferences another election within the year is looking even more likely

Sounds like a great opportunity for more independent candidate ads to me!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I think another election in the next year or two was guaranteed. The left opposition's improved in numbers but hadn't a chance of forming a coalition before fg and ff.

The most likely outcome is a ff/fg or fg minority. And either way ff would pull the plug when they feel their chances improved for another election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marenghi posted:

I think another election in the next year or two was guaranteed. The left opposition's improved in numbers but hadn't a chance of forming a coalition before fg and ff.

The most likely outcome is a ff/fg or fg minority. And either way ff would pull the plug when they feel their chances improved for another election.

I think everyone was expecting one maybe next year or 2018 but if it's only a 3% swing keeping FF from being the largest party the temptation to call an election by withdrawing support as soon as a bad story hits is going to be pretty drat big - They would be sniffing distance of victory and an election around November time could be on the cards.

I was always thinking around 18 months as the shelf-life of a FG/FF supply deal but if the results match that exit poll I think that comes way down imo

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 27, 2016

• Locked thread