Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

eSporks posted:

I'm not really interested in playing the gear lottery. I liked the idea of having an easily obtainable set of decent base gear, and a clear goal to work to that wasn't straight RNG. I thought having good gear on the DDZ vendors was a smart move by them, but oh well.

The gear will be decent though likely. It just won't be better than like every single piece of gear that drops in DZ01/DZ02 like it was in the Beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Dexo posted:

The gear will be decent though likely. It just won't be better than like every single piece of gear that drops in DZ01/DZ02 like it was in the Beta.
So in other words you have to play slots. Got it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

eSporks posted:

So in other words you have to play slots. Got it.

Having buyable gear that's better than most of the drops makes the entire drop system kinda pointless.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Dexo posted:

Having buyable gear that's better than most of the drops makes the entire drop system kinda pointless.

Exactly, why would you want this? So you can have the best set of legendaries and epics 2 days into the game coming out? Then what? This game is diablo with guns, farming for better gear via PvE or DZ PvP is the whole point of the game.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm just tired of the carrot on the stick model, there are better ways to do it. I miss Ultima Online where there was an easily attainable base line set of gear, and everything else was special. The gear grind sucks and it ruins games. You may disagree with me and thats fine, but the DZ vendor was one of things tipping this game in my favor.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
You will be sorely missed. :sadwave:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pretty sure the DZ vendors will still have very solid gear but yeah this is a diabloesque gear farm game so yea...

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Oh cool the cheevos give away the final mission :catbert:

last man battalion in the UN Building

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

poo poo, replace the pistol altogether with a baseball bat or a fire axe. I never used my pistol once in the beta, except for a vanity kill on a downed rogue. It takes the same amount of time to switch to as the other two weapons, and the only thing it really brings to the table is the unlimited ammo.

The devs said that pistols can hut as strong as other weapons late game. It was on an angry Joe youtube video.

Good thing I'm a division member and not ATF so I can freely kill dogs.

lilspooky posted:

Something I just realized. This game uses a Diablo style loot system. One of the classic standbys that often appear in games with this style of gear is the idea of "sets". From everything I've seen The Division doesn't make use of this. I personally have a love / hate relationship with the idea of set items. Have the devs said anything one way or another about it?

I hope they don't do sets. I hate finding an item that is nice but over shadowed by the fact that a set bonus is crazy good.

If they have a set that does small bonuses like some extra stats, sure. But have a set of knee pads, gloves, holster, chest, backpack that makes your bullets spawn a unicorn that one shot stabs all enmies in a 20 mile radius... gently caress that

Invalid Validation posted:

Did the PC get a beta and was it full of hackers?

There wasn't anybody in the beta I couldn't kill. Apparently they didn't have anti cheat on for closed beta because cheat engine hacks still worked. The devs had said they know about it and it will be fixed for live. Honestly, I don't see how they could allow simple poo poo like that to go live, so we'll see but hacks will be slow if they are easy and them ramp up so the best time to play is early on.

If you don't care about PvP, then none of that really effects you.

eSporks posted:

I'm just tired of the carrot on the stick model, there are better ways to do it. I miss Ultima Online where there was an easily attainable base line set of gear, and everything else was special. The gear grind sucks and it ruins games. You may disagree with me and thats fine, but the DZ vendor was one of things tipping this game in my favor.

Eh, I played UO but the gear in UO was player gm crafted and a trip to the reagent vendors after every death for maybe a thousand gold when you had half a million in the bank. UO was a time investment into macro in spells for a few weeks and then farming loch spawns.

But the DZ... that reminds me and my friends of the times we'd go running around and loving with people. Guy in a robe wearing plate armor under it, flag yourself on a friend and go to people to snoop their bag with 1 skill so it pops up they see you snooping. So they think you're a thief and attack. You pull out your deadly poisoned kryss and stab them as they begin to vomit uncontrollably as they struggle to find their cure potion.

It's also everything like going red without the permanence of being red for 40 hours per kill or then going permanent red for flip flopping too many times.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yes and yes, both intentionally. Fairfight is based on collecting data about what hackers' gameplay looks like and then mathematically applying it to catch hacks, some of which may not even exist yet. If someone is blatant about their cheating, they will be banned. If they are subtle, they won't gain much so who cares?

eSporks posted:

It remains to be seen how it's tuned. Diablo games never gave you the best poo poo on the vendor, but sometimes you would find a goodie for a slot that was lagging behind. I expect the same sort of thing here.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yes, no.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

eSporks posted:

i personally wish this game were more like starcraft where you could assign construction workers to mine copper to build other buildings around your base of operation.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ugh, they took a vendor out that really is what made this game for me. Now I have to play slots like an old granny. Who has time for that? Why can't I just be the best?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
They should just add a dude like that guy in destiny that sells random special items once a week, for a special currency.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Billy Elliot posted:

I hope they don't do sets. I hate finding an item that is nice but over shadowed by the fact that a set bonus is crazy good.

If they have a set that does small bonuses like some extra stats, sure. But have a set of knee pads, gloves, holster, chest, backpack that makes your bullets spawn a unicorn that one shot stabs all enmies in a 20 mile radius... gently caress that

Ya, that's general feeling on it and why I said I have a love-hate relationship with gear sets. It is however another area the devs could explore to add more content. :shrug:

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

They should just add a dude like that guy in destiny that sells random special items once a week, for a special currency.

gently caress Xur. I hated when he came up on a weekend and I went somewhere. The concept is nice and all but it was lovely to say "sorry, I don't want to go to the cabin this weekend because I want to but a sweet gun honey."

And I hope they don't have daily quests. I hate logging in and farming bullshit I don't want to do for an hour and THEN do what I want to do.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Billy Elliot posted:

gently caress Xur. I hated when he came up on a weekend and I went somewhere. The concept is nice and all but it was lovely to say "sorry, I don't want to go to the cabin this weekend because I want to but a sweet gun honey."

And I hope they don't have daily quests. I hate logging in and farming bullshit I don't want to do for an hour and THEN do what I want to do.

I kind of hope they have that stuff. Sure I wasn't always there for it but days I was home it was nice.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
A vendor that only spawnsin the hardest parts of the dark zone, and loot he sells you can be looted by other players if they kill you.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Billy Elliot posted:

If they have a set that does small bonuses like some extra stats, sure. But have a set of knee pads, gloves, holster, chest, backpack that makes your bullets spawn a unicorn that one shot stabs all enmies in a 20 mile radius...

I......I want this item set? Bang violent unicorn death in a tom clancys game.

zomgcatsonfire
Apr 14, 2009

They should have random rare spawns that can spawn anywhere on the map that drop higher level loot or vanity items.
Having a whole separate currency for "special gear" isn't as fun as completely random encounters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

zomgcatsonfire posted:

They should have random rare spawns that can spawn anywhere on the map that drop higher level loot or vanity items.
Having a whole separate currency for "special gear" isn't as fun as completely random encounters.

They p much do though. Unless I'm mistaken. I'm pretty sure I've seen random groups of enemies spawn with a named mob, that does drop higher loot. Could do that every time, but I'm pretty sure I've killed spawns in the same area sometimes there's golds and named mobs and sometimes there isn't.

DZ cash is for if you either have terrible luck or are bad so you can get a baseline level of gear to help if gear is the reason you are bad.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Billy Elliot posted:

Agree with all of this, plus it sucked to suffer through my stupid one difficult playdate a week for an attempt at a good weapon and get a goddamn coin instead

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Dexo posted:

They p much do though. Unless I'm mistaken. I'm pretty sure I've seen random groups of enemies spawn with a named mob, that does drop higher loot. Could do that every time, but I'm pretty sure I've killed spawns in the same area sometimes there's golds and named mobs and sometimes there isn't.

DZ cash is for if you either have terrible luck or are bad so you can get a baseline level of gear to help if gear is the reason you are bad.

Yeah they do. Even had an occasion where a cleaner group and a hoodlum group spawned near each other and started fighting.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I hope My Activated Agent can have heterochromia and a cool scar down one eye

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Did anyone go for the Gamesplanet deal? They're on Ubisoft's list of accepted vendors, so they should be trustworthy enough, right?

zomgcatsonfire
Apr 14, 2009

Dexo posted:

There was nothing wrong with DZ currency and normal currency, but the poster was talking about some kind of weekly event.

There where plenty of areas that had mobs with "special bosses", but they where farmable and always re-spawned in the same places.
I was talking about a completely random encounter, a team or group of enemies that are completely randomly spawn into the Dark Zone area.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Yo please don't copy my soon-to-be-copyrighted Tom Clancy's The Division OC :cop:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

I'm hoping to combine the shameful neckbeard available in the beta with a second chin.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'm gonna get a team wearing the broker jacket and pretend that Tom Clancy really liked FF7 and made The Turks but irl.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Morter posted:

Yo please don't copy my soon-to-be-copyrighted Tom Clancy's The Division OC :cop:

She was a vet before the event and survived and it gave her white hair and she got the scar saving a truck full of babies from being burned by the cleaners ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Nebiros posted:

I thought it was Clancy's other Gary Stu that made guest appearances. What was it, Jack Ryan or something?

Edit: Or am I confusing Heinlein's favorite recurring character? poo poo I don't remember

When I was younger and reading the book, there was an underlying plot of Bunny Huggers as the Russian spy called them trying to create a super virus to kill all of the people because environmentalism. It was too far too nutjob for me, but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the hints of plot in the Beta.
Wasn't ecoterrorists wanting to kill everyone to save the planet the main plot of the first R6 game?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It was the plot of the R6 book, dunno bout the game.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Plan Z posted:

I'm gonna get a team wearing the broker jacket and pretend that Tom Clancy really liked FF7 and made The Turks but irl.

dammit this game isn't even out yet and now i want it to have swords and magic, but still also guns

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SlimGoodbody posted:

dammit this game isn't even out yet and now i want it to have swords and magic, but still also guns
I choose to believe that magic in The Division is real, which is why you can put on a new plate carrier and suddenly do more damage with your guns or heal people for more cause some armoursmith got lazy with the enchants on your old one :mad:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Well it is a fact that I can shoot infinitely better wearing a plate carrier than I can wearing any configuration of any version of an IOTV.

seriously gently caress those clunky things I'd literally rather be naked on a battlefield than wearing one of those.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
My knee pads give me more health irl

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mine give a 3% damage increase versus minorities :(

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
everyone knows knee pads irl just give you bonuses to charisma

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Billy Elliot posted:

Daily quests and challenges are really useful to the long term survival of a game though. If you have a list of game types or things to do that is x long and a large chunk of your populace gravitates to one particular activity it leaves chunks of your game empty and unfun, and those people doing that one thing they like over and over burn out quicker too.

Moving people around the game with the daily challenge carrot will hopefully leave them going "hey this ctf mode was fun maybe I'll come back" and it's a quiet nudge of variety for the playerbase.

If it's done well of course. You've got the "make sure and log in every day for your tiny reward hey why not buy a micropayment thing" phone game poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Insert name here posted:

I choose to believe that magic in The Division is real, which is why you can put on a new plate carrier and suddenly do more damage with your guns or heal people for more cause some armoursmith got lazy with the enchants on your old one :mad:

Fun facts: Is easier to shot with a silencer.

The reason is that because the weapon weight more, is more stable. If DPS where a thing in real life, it would be real that a silencer increase your "DPS".

• Locked thread