Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I bet you could ride a bike with two hook hands, if you really tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I bet you could ride a bike with two hook hands, if you really tried

http://www.mertshands.org/

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Just picked up and road tested the GoPro Session. Conclusion: Tiny, nondescript, super easy to use, owns bones compared to the Drift. That and my Sena 20S should cover all my A/V needs for years. (Or until a really cool new model 10c comes out).

Bonus: Turn it on and let your cats play with it

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How's the mic?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Lexorin posted:

Not much in the way of a palm slider, superfabric doesn't have any impact protection to speak of.

Which sort of leads me to the question, why the hell do people have such a boner for knuckle protection? I have a hard time imagining a scenario where knuckle protection would come into play and be useful in any meaningful way. Aside from maybe intimidation or something. Someone sell me on knuckle guards, 'cause right now it's the least of my concerns when buying gloves.

My knuckle protectors have a couple of mm indentation in them where they smacked into the ground then slid along the road when I had my crash, my knuckles would have been completely hosed if I didn't have armour there.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Lexorin posted:

Not much in the way of a palm slider, superfabric doesn't have any impact protection to speak of.

The Knox SPS system isn't impact protection either, I thought, just plastic pieces that would slide along asphalt?

I snagged a pair of those Helds anyway, got the shop to pricematch a big online place that only had XLs in stock :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lexorin posted:

Which sort of leads me to the question, why the hell do people have such a boner for knuckle protection? I have a hard time imagining a scenario where knuckle protection would come into play and be useful in any meaningful way. Aside from maybe intimidation or something. Someone sell me on knuckle guards, 'cause right now it's the least of my concerns when buying gloves.

The last time I crashed the knuckle slider on my right hand was ground about halfway through, they were alpinestars of some sort.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I didn't really notice if I landed on my knuckles when I lowsided my bike, but I landed on my left side and the left knuckle plate has a lot more scratches than the right one, so

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Also even without crashing, stones and poo poo get thrown up off the road all the time and that poo poo really loving hurts if it hits your knuckle.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm going to have to send my gloves in for warranty R/R and you guys are not doing anything positive for my peace of mind :ohdear:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also even without crashing, stones and poo poo get thrown up off the road all the time and that poo poo really loving hurts if it hits your knuckle.

Incoming smugposts from handguard superiority crew in 3, 2, 1...

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

And here I was just about to mention that I had hand guards!

Still, interesting to hear that people have messed up their knuckle guards from crashes. I'm glad to know they're useful and not just decoration.

VERTiG0 posted:

The Knox SPS system isn't impact protection either, I thought, just plastic pieces that would slide along asphalt?

Maybe don't need impact for knuckles? But on the wrist you'd want it for sure since that's what you catch yourself with. People break those bones all the time in even minor falls.

The little plastic knuckle/finger doodads on the knox handroids are some serious windowdressing though. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome gloves all around, but I was kinda surprised about the knuckleguards.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lexorin posted:

And here I was just about to mention that I had hand guards!

Still, interesting to hear that people have messed up their knuckle guards from crashes. I'm glad to know they're useful and not just decoration.

Maybe don't need impact for knuckles? But on the wrist you'd want it for sure since that's what you catch yourself with. People break those bones all the time in even minor falls.

The little plastic knuckle/finger doodads on the knox handroids are some serious windowdressing though. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome gloves all around, but I was kinda surprised about the knuckleguards.

I assume part of the problem with wrist protection is that the throttle requires wrist flexion.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Calling it now, the Next Big Thing™ will be gloves that have lobster-ing armor in full circumference around the wrist ala:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

£15 off ebay and the first time i rode with them a car kicked a stone loud enough for me to hear it smack off them.
Also i don't know if its a placebo but they've kept my hands a little bit warmer with less wind kicking the poo poo out of them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Keket posted:

£15 off ebay and the first time i rode with them a car kicked a stone loud enough for me to hear it smack off them.
Also i don't know if its a placebo but they've kept my hands a little bit warmer with less wind kicking the poo poo out of them.

It's not a placebo, they really do help when the mercury drops. Blocking out the wind makes a huge difference

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AncientTV posted:

Calling it now, the Next Big Thing™ will be gloves that have lobster-ing armor in full circumference around the wrist ala:

Would.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wanna see the fireworks show from a guy crashing on pavement in a full suit of medieval plate armor.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Hope the gas stays in the tank.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Imagine how hot that metal would be. :supaburn:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

BTW, I got sick of how lovely EL wire looked on my helmet so I hunted for other stuff. Found out about Lid Lights. These things are loving awesome, super bright and the latest model has RGB blinkers that do a variety of blink patterns. Comes with a remote too. Not gonna be riding after dark without them on.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So you have illuminating strips, and you can see behind you. Your helmet is like some deep sea monster fish. Like those lights, though. I feel like it breaks up the hump the reevue helmet has, too.

I wish there was somewhere I could try on a reevu helmet to see what it's like. That's a lot of money to drop on something. How quiet is your helmet?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

No louder than any of the others I've worn. The mirrors mean that the top ventilation isn't mind-blowing but good enough. The lights look loving killer from the side when I'm running my Lizard Lights too.

As for the fitment, they run big. I'm a Large in most helmets, medium was the only one that fit me properly. I had to go through an XL and an L in order to figure out that out, but since you can get them through Revzilla it's free shipping on returns.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I always have to pay like 7.45 for return shipping??

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Word on the cyclegear street (and from higher ups) is that Revzilla will run cyclegear.com at some point in the future.
Thank Christ. Our website is terrible.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Anyone have a favorite glove liner? I discovered that the lower limit of my gloves is about 50F for any more than about 15m of riding at speed. No heated, if I can get away with it. It doesn't get colder than about 25F where I live.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pope Mobile posted:

Word on the cyclegear street (and from higher ups) is that Revzilla will run cyclegear.com at some point in the future.
Thank Christ. Our website is terrible.

Thank christ, your website is terrible.

Went into a CG yesterday. Sedici makes helmets now? Are any good as a budget helmet or should you still steer towards the Scorpions/Bell/etc?
Basically I'm just asking if they're nicer than the $50 bilt one I tried on ages ago.

p.s. how bad did I gently caress up by buying two of these http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Aluminum-Folding-Ramp

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Marxalot posted:

Thank christ, your website is terrible.

Went into a CG yesterday. Sedici makes helmets now? Are any good as a budget helmet or should you still steer towards the Scorpions/Bell/etc?
Basically I'm just asking if they're nicer than the $50 bilt one I tried on ages ago.

p.s. how bad did I gently caress up by buying two of these http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Aluminum-Folding-Ramp

Actually, CG ramps are quite good and well priced imo. I had a pair of horrid harbor freight ramps before these that cost nearly the same amount.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Actually, CG ramps are quite good and well priced imo. I had a pair of horrid harbor freight ramps before these that cost nearly the same amount.

That's what I was hoping to hear. They feel sturdy, and I needed a couple to get a barely running FZ6 over to Motorcycles Unlimited. Also track the DRZ maybe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No hump though. I've found ramps without a hump are next to useless a lot of the time because the bike tends to bottom out where the ramp meets the trailer/vehicle. Shouldn't be an issue with those bikes though (just jump the DRZ up).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yesterday was payday, so I'm finally springing for a pair of Keis x800i heated gloves.

I've tried on their sister model the x900 in a medium, and they were just half a centimetre too long in all digits and a little bit fat, so I'm confident a small will fit well. The heating wasn't as strong or quick to spool up as I'd expected, but then these (and the ones I'm buying) were only the 1 amp 13 watt dual power version. Given how mild the weather is here I'm sure it'll be enough though. (The guy at the shop was really cool, when we couldn't find a good battery to test them on we went outside and opened up his r1200gs to use the battery on that :3:)

I have horrible circulation in my extremities so I'll probably be using these until May, and almost year round at night. Assuming they fit and it keeps not raining and being cold as balls I'll be back to give a proper trip report sometime next week.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Surprisingly, he did not have to remove his bike's fuel tank to get at the battery terminals.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Squirrel Burger posted:

BTW, I got sick of how lovely EL wire looked on my helmet so I hunted for other stuff. Found out about Lid Lights. These things are loving awesome, super bright and the latest model has RGB blinkers that do a variety of blink patterns. Comes with a remote too. Not gonna be riding after dark without them on.

Oh gently caress YES I am so on this.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Lynza posted:

Oh gently caress YES I am so on this.

There's also this: http://www.lightmodehelmets.com ... if you want to be Tron-like.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Squirrel Burger posted:

Reminds me of the Daft Punk helmet I made for halloween last year:

It's got absolutely no protective value as a helmet, but I'm tempted to transplant the arduino+neopixel strips onto my regular helmet

e: For anyone interested in doing something similar, Adafruit Neopixel strips are incredibly easy to use and build with. They're full spectrum, addressable, self contained LED strips, so you can program tons of cool stuff with them and Adafruit has tons of easy step by step guides if you've never done anything with arduinos before.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 1, 2016

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

OSU_Matthew posted:

Reminds me of the Daft Punk helmet I made for halloween last year:

It's got absolutely no protective value as a helmet, but I'm tempted to transplant the arduino+neopixel strips onto my regular helmet

e: For anyone interested in doing something similar, Adafruit Neopixel strips are incredibly easy to use and build with. They're full spectrum, addressable, self contained LED strips, so you can program tons of cool stuff with them and Adafruit has tons of easy step by step guides if you've never done anything with arduinos before.

That helmet is rad as hell. So, how did you power it? My main concern is that I need something I can slip into my jacket (which is what I do with the EL wire right now). I actually have about 3m of Blinkytape (basically the same thing as the neopixel) but I have no idea how to power it without it being a total nightmare.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Lynza posted:

That helmet is rad as hell. So, how did you power it? My main concern is that I need something I can slip into my jacket (which is what I do with the EL wire right now). I actually have about 3m of Blinkytape (basically the same thing as the neopixel) but I have no idea how to power it without it being a total nightmare.

Almost anything you possibly can think of!

I used an Adafruit Flora arduino, which gives you tons of options. So long as you have ~3.7-5v DC, it'll do its thing. You can solder in a rechargeable lithium battery pack, or just plug in any micro USB power source to the board itself to power it/charge any attached batteries. So, three AA/AAA batteries in series will do, a cellphone USB charger brick plugged into the micro USB port will work, a usb charger plugged into the wall will work, you can customize it however you want.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
$60 per metre for the densest one :psylon:

VERTiG0 posted:

There's also this: http://www.lightmodehelmets.com ... if you want to be Tron-like.

Basically what I've got, gets sick compliments in every bike shop I've been in :coolspot:

Only gripe is the wire is kind of easy to knock off as it stands a few mm off the helmet (partly because I'm using the double bright wire that runs off 12v instead of the thin 3v stuff lightmode provide). I've looked into panel/ribbon and although it's way brighter it's comparatively a pain to work with, doesn't have as good colour reproduction (I guess because the filter is thinner while the element is brighter), and you can't bend it into :krad: contour following tron designs.

I could prototype a design in paper and then send a request to my supplier for a one-off custom cut panel (which is a thing they do) but :effort::retrogames:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Surprisingly, he did not have to remove his bike's fuel tank to get at the battery terminals.

The Zrex's battery is right inside the storage space under the seat. Running the wires for my heated gloves couldn't have been easier. :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

The Zrex's battery is right inside the storage space under the seat. Running the wires for my heated gloves couldn't have been easier. :japan:

Switching to total loss gives you two extra packets of 2 minute noodles or a full sized loaf of bread.