Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

rear end of Thundera, give me sight beyond sight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3o7WHJU4p0

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Dylan McKay posted:

remember heroes of the storm? lol

b-b-but we are BLIZZARD. Any game we make is going to be better, the best, and have all your FAVORITE blizzard characters lol!!! Never mind it's in a bloated genre that literally can't get any better than it is.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pawn 17 posted:

b-b-but we are BLIZZARD. Any game we make is going to be better, the best, and have all your FAVORITE blizzard characters lol!!! Never mind it's in a bloated genre that literally can't get any better than it is.

Um bitcoin would like to talk to you about the ability to hit the moon.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Just get IRL friends and play Mario Kart you weiners

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Varg posted:

there was a "greatest game of all time" already, it's called Team Fortress Classic.. everyone just stopped playing it because they're stupid

yup :(

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Here is an example of what could drop in Vanilla D3. This is a Wizard set item, supposed to be INT based and Arcane Power as a resource.

DEX, Armor, MF, Rend, are all horrible for a wizard. 3% as a set bonus sucks, now the set bonuses are in the 100's if not 1000's of %.

If I recall correctly the item drops were slightly based on what was currently on the REAL MONEY AUCTION HALL, so you'd have to pay for the better items because they'd drop less since people were putting them up for sale.

The only way I can enjoy Blizz games now are at a competitive level, since it's either all based on luck or incredible grinds, or paying money to unlock poo poo.

Sucks that at a competitive level you also need to play hundreds of hours to keep your skills and reaction speed up, so if you have a life you are done.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

P-Mack posted:

Wait, if valve isn't making games then who is making Half Life 3?

Nobody is making it, the dude who wrote the Half Game game scenarios quit Valve a few weeks back even.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

nothing quite crushes me as much in this world as the vapor status of half life 3.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

just one more loving episode you miserly fucks. the cliff hanger is too brutal to be endured.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

nomadologique posted:

just one more loving episode you miserly fucks. the cliff hanger is too brutal to be endured.

Somewhere, Gabe Newell's dick just got hard.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

nomadologique posted:

Gorbon kills Breen, whose conscious was uploaded to the slug like Advisor that antagonizes the player in Episode 2.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Half-Life 3 marks Valve's brave venture into the f2p MMOFPS market.

With VR headset support coming very soon!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

notZaar posted:

Nobody is making it, the dude who wrote the Half Game game scenarios quit Valve a few weeks back even.

that must mean they've finished all the Half Life scenarios. HL3 release almost confirmed!!!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Is it only 6v6? Not sure if they'll pull the TF2/CS/BF kiddos. Kinda need 32 vs 32 to get anywhere these days.

I don't think they've shut the door on that but for now the game and maps are built for 6v6 competitive play. It's pretty hard to really balance well even for that -- for example, Jeff Kaplan recently posted that the Attacker team win rate for a certain map goes:

At newer/lower skill levels, attackers win (roughly) 38-40% of the time.
At medium skill levels, attackers win (roughly) 40% of the time.
At medium-high skill levels, attackers win 45-50% of the time
At high skill levels, attackers win anywhere from 50-60% of the time.

They want it to be a good esportsy competitive game, so in theory 50% win rate at high skill levels is a good target, but not if it means lovely players never win as attackers and don't want to play anymore.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
For what it's worth the custom game options are already fairly robust, so if you want to dick around with friends and not play the standard mode you can do that

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So they're tuning this cartoony mass-appeal game for esport tryhards? That sounds like a fantastic idea.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
are you retarded or something

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
http://i.imgur.com/s7sUy7U.webm

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I thought d3 sucked when it came out too but they've actually done a ton of stuff to improve the game and if you have the expansion its worth rolling a new character in seasonal mode, boosting difficulty to torment and playing through.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait until the near future where games are explicitly designed for competitive level play only.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

jon joe posted:

I can't wait until the near future where games are explicitly designed for competitive level play only.

Street Fighter Five

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Street Fighter Five
:cawg:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i have won 8 games of CS:GO in a row suck my drat balls you scrubs!!!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pushing the e-sports angle before release always pays off. Remember Evolve? Yeah, me neither.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Pushing the e-sports angle before release always pays off. Remember Evolve? Yeah, me neither.
Wasnt there that one online action rpg that was supposed to become the new pvp mmo like guildwars? Fury or whatever, total flop.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ability to press buttons coming in March

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

This is problematic

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AugmentedVision posted:

This is problematic

Someone needs to notify Professor Shark.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

AugmentedVision posted:

This is problematic

Agreed, it should start as big as it gets, then get bigger.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
This won't be in the final game because it doesn't make sense to give a lady an inflatable butt but not giant gonzo boobs

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

why does her butt get bigger lol wtf

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AugmentedVision posted:

This won't be in the final game because it doesn't make sense to give a lady an inflatable butt but not giant gonzo boobs

They can do both!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

notZaar posted:

So they're tuning this cartoony mass-appeal game for esport tryhards? That sounds like a fantastic idea.

every game of this kind is tuned for esport tryhards. everybody else can get hosed and play or not play as they want.

what they do is provide a lot of other things to keep non tryhards interested, mostly cosmetic. and then they offer alternative game modes for people who don't wanna play the main tryhard game.

LoL, the biggest esport in the world, is tuned entirely for tryhards, and people just keep shoveling cash into that furnace, even though 50% of them remain stuck (by design) in the lowest tier competitive pool. upward movement is exponentially bottlenecked, so there's something like .01% of the population at the highest levels (or who knows what stupid stat).

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I have this wild theory that people play video games because they are fun

I like clicking heads in counter-strike and idk that they changed the ranking system, making it more evident how bad I am

Lots of people apparently like playing crappy RTS games where you only get one unit and there is one map across the entire genre

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i got two 5 k's last nigh against some scrub noobs on de_nuke

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
ian mckellen is gay lol

Aug 4, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

why does her butt get bigger lol wtf

that how female butts work, they just keep getting bigger & bigger.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

nomadologique posted:

every game of this kind is tuned for esport tryhards. everybody else can get hosed and play or not play as they want.

what they do is provide a lot of other things to keep non tryhards interested, mostly cosmetic. and then they offer alternative game modes for people who don't wanna play the main tryhard game.

LoL, the biggest esport in the world, is tuned entirely for tryhards, and people just keep shoveling cash into that furnace, even though 50% of them remain stuck (by design) in the lowest tier competitive pool. upward movement is exponentially bottlenecked, so there's something like .01% of the population at the highest levels (or who knows what stupid stat).
Lol is popular because its easy to get into but still has a huge ceiling for improvement. It is the team fortress classic of today.

There is no bottleneck of getting into the higher divisions other than people just generally getting better at the game. If your winrate is higher than 50 you will slowly advance, if its not you won't. If you mean that the tiers aren't completely linear then yeah that's true but thats simply how divisions work. If only the top players advance to the next division then by a couple divisions in you're working with a fraction of a fraction of a fraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That game sucks though.

• Locked thread