Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

when's 10 for the chairlessman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

If there is a 10FTC this week can someone ask why John Rhys-Davies looks like a trucker and/or Wal-Mart shopper?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Google Butt posted:

when's 10 for the chairlessman

no clue, but i think it's funny where a show where the ceo can nitpick questions, he still manages to release videos digging his company further into a hole

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

My steam activity list is now full of people buying dollar dino game :unsmith:

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

the worst kind of nudity :smith:

username/post combo

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

XeeD posted:

Laser pointer. The gun's firing lasers, remember, not torches.

One small note on energy weapons, is that they would have recoil based on how powerful they are. I'm not excusing shittiness here, just some information on general relativity. I think a lot of people would be surprised to know that energy is mass. What does that mean practically?

The majority of the mass in every atom is not contained in its components (protons, neutrons, electrons) or even those component's components (quarks) which is referred to as the rest mass, but in the binding energy of the unit. Almost all of the 'mass' of a proton or neutron comes from the energy called the quark potential energy. This potential energy is mainly made up of the color force or strong neuclear force.

Some fun random questions:
- If you bind two oxygen atoms together into an oxygen molecule, does it weight more, less, or the same than two unbound oxygen atoms?
The unbound oxygen atoms weight MORE than two atom oxygen molecule due to the loss of potential and kinetic energy.
- Does a charged flash light weight more or less than an uncharged one?
The flash light loses weight as the potential energy is lost by the emitting of light.

There's some great videos on this for anyone curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo232kyTsO0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztc6QPNUqls

Basically, any energy weapon that had enough force to do impact damage to solid objects would have some amount of recoil. Lasers in fact have a tiny, but measurable, recoil when in operation.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Scruffpuff posted:

It's a little reminiscent of the glut of space-related films of the 50's where they had all these futuristic ideas of spacesuits and rocket ships etc., but they still held onto the 50's aesthetic. The Fallout games capture this fairly well. Chris Roberts is doing the same, but for some reason he's using a 90's Goodwill approach. He really is a dumb gently caress when you get right down to it - a dumb gently caress who lucked into being in charge of something far, far beyond his ability or even comprehension. It's like "Bring Your Child to Work" day, except it's "Put Your Autistic Child In Charge of a $100 Million Project Day" and the day lasts for years.

at least in the 50s they assumed they were getting there soon. Modern space fiction is usually set a long way in the future so it's more glaring and annoying.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I forgot where I heard about it but there was one functional universe where people were adorned with surrounded by clouds nanites that formed whatever shape was desired. So not even "clothes" in the traditional sense.

John C. Wright, Architect of Aeons covers this, but it's common in any far-future / post-singularity series due to the nature of information density. Eventually there becomes a point where a civilization will want to start converting all matter into smart matter to make use of the expanded intelligence. I kinda love this sort of poo poo, it's my favorite type of book to read.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I forgot where I heard about it but there was one functional universe where people were adorned with surrounded by clouds nanites that formed whatever shape was desired. So not even "clothes" in the traditional sense.

I think it would have been amazing to have CIG go to various fashion schools and talk to the teachers and say "we're making a video game set 900 years in the future, and people can wear pretty much whatever they want" and then have them challenge their students to make some really fascinating stuff based on the limitations of the software. It's the perfect opportunity to go as costume as you want, and Chris Rock's attire is a perfect example of how out there and amazing you could get.

I really like the idea of combining a universal functional core with wildly disparate accessories depending on where the person was from or what they supported. So everyone starts off with a basic functional jumpsuit but then adds whatever they want to establish their identity. Alternatively if personal force fields were a thing then there wouldn't even need to be jump suits; in the event of a breach your force field pops on and you have a supply of air while you wait for rescue and then it doesn't matter what you're wearing.

That actually would have been a cool idea. Way better than just going with "Space, but tough and maybe even a little gritty."

I love the idea of the base jumpsuit layer because it provides a cool little nugget of un-written lore and adds flavor to the universe, and that's why it's so goddamn frustrating to me that they just went with Earth clothes in space. It's also a super reasonable/practical idea. If you characters live in super sophisticated space stations/space ships, they wear what's comfortable. When I'm at home and I don't need to go outside I usually wear UnderArmour tights and some kind of long athletic shirt because that poo poo's comfortable and I don't have to worry about being too hot or cold or getting poked with sharp poo poo. I imagine if I lived in a space station I'd probably wear the same poo poo, but maybe have some cool accessories or whatever so I looked cooler than "Jumpsuit Guy #12" or whatever.

In fact, shifting all of the fashion away from current ideas is a powerful narrative tool that you can use to highlight parts of the story. Think about Ballcap Man or whatever Rhys-Davies's character is named. He looks perfectly ordinary, and he doesn't even stand out in comparison to some of the other art that we've seen, like these:

In comparison to those, Ballcap Man looks like some gently caress you'd see walking down the street every day. He doesn't seem important or unique in any way. But imagine for a second that Ballcap Man had the only ballcap you'd ever seen in Star Citizen. Or the only leather jacket. You would immediately key in on the fact that that piece of clothing was special or unique. Maybe a family heirloom or maybe a relic from a battle that was over long before you were born. It would serve to identify him and his story as something special in relation to the greater narrative of the Star Citizen universe. It's a powerful tool that they loving threw away because they are uninspired and bland, and couldn't even take inspiration from the poo poo that they are taking inspiration from

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 29, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Loiosh posted:

Basically, any energy weapon that had enough force to do impact damage to solid objects would have some amount of recoil. Lasers in fact have a tiny, but measurable, recoil when in operation.

Ah, yes. 'Energy weapon recoil.' We have dismissed that claim.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Madcosby posted:

no clue, but i think it's funny where a show where the ceo can nitpick questions, he still manages to release videos digging his company further into a hole

yeah I feel that even without Derek, sa, or the escapist, Roberts would blow it with 10ftc alone.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loiosh posted:

'measurable'? It's smaller than that under most circumstances, and could be likened to the gravitational effect you have on the planet. ie four-tenths of bugger-all.

Interestingly, it does enter the realm of useful once scaled. Laser-pumped solar sails are a thing, but you have to overcome the relative problem of building a large giga-watt laser and convincing people you're not going to fry them. See also orbital solar power.

Edit: keep your nanite clothing to yourself. poo poo would be substandard and made by the lowest bidder.

Actual physical clothing does still retain a niche if you're into a 'scarcity' sci-fi world. While most metals and minerals get more common the further you go, the organic compounds that go into textiles get rarer. If you're into hydrogen-is-our-currency and transmutation works, then all bets are off and everyone dresses according to their taste.

Edit edit: Iain M Banks didn't really dwell on clothing much, but you get nice descriptions os what they're wearing in Azad during 'player of games', the gel-suit in 'use of weapons'(?), a bunch of descriptions in 'the algebraist' along with the best confrontation between bad guy and good guys.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 29, 2016

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Loiosh posted:

One small note on energy weapons, is that they would have recoil based on how powerful they are. I'm not excusing shittiness here, just some information on general relativity. I think a lot of people would be surprised to know that energy is mass. What does that mean practically?

The majority of the mass in every atom is not contained in its components (protons, neutrons, electrons) or even those component's components (quarks) which is referred to as the rest mass, but in the binding energy of the unit. Almost all of the 'mass' of a proton or neutron comes from the energy called the quark potential energy. This potential energy is mainly made up of the color force or strong neuclear force.

Some fun random questions:
- If you bind two oxygen atoms together into an oxygen molecule, does it weight more, less, or the same than two unbound oxygen atoms?
The unbound oxygen atoms weight MORE than two atom oxygen molecule due to the loss of potential and kinetic energy.
- Does a charged flash light weight more or less than an uncharged one?
The flash light loses weight as the potential energy is lost by the emitting of light.

There's some great videos on this for anyone curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo232kyTsO0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztc6QPNUqls

All well and good, but I'm laughing at the idea of a space muzzleloader using a laser pointer on the end of the ramrod to compress the lasers for extra kick. From what I've seen, it makes perfect physical sense in the SC universe.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Ah, yes. 'Energy weapon recoil.' We have dismissed that claim.

Not excusing SC being lovely here, just pointing out that in general relativity, energy is mass and that most of the mass of all objects is in fact in the energy of their components being bound together, not in the rest mass.

Any weapon that fires energy will have a force acting upon it, the more powerful, the more force. And, the energy projectile will also have a force. More energy, more force. The way general relativity and quantum mechanics, in particular quantum chromadynamics interact is really weird. Just as a small example, did you know that most protons and neutrons are not made of the standard 3 quarks (UUD) that we think of? They are constantly swapping between 3, 4 and 5 quark systems as they exchange virtual Pi mesons with each other to facilitate the exchange of residual strong force.

QM is hosed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HotsauceShoTYME posted:

FYI when a black person labels another black person a "coon" it is extra insulting way of labeling them a sellout. Yes despite my complexion I am black.

Thanks for the heads up

nobody cares if you are black and nobody really wants to see you go around diarreahing the word 'coon' on a message board

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

That actually would have been a cool idea. Way better than just going with "Space, but tough and maybe even a little gritty."

I love the idea of the base jumpsuit layer because it provides a cool little nugget of un-written lore and adds flavor to the universe, and that's why it's so goddamn frustrating to me that they just went with Earth clothes in space. It's also a super reasonable/practical idea. If you characters live in super sophisticated space stations/space ships, they wear what's comfortable. When I'm at home and I don't need to go outside I usually wear UnderArmour tights and some kind of long athletic shirt because that poo poo's comfortable and I don't have to worry about being too hot or cold or getting poked with sharp poo poo. I imagine if I lived in a space station I'd probably wear the same poo poo, but maybe have some cool accessories or whatever so I looked cooler than "Jumpsuit Guy #12" or whatever.

In fact, shifting all of the fashion away from current ideas is a powerful narrative tool that you can use to highlight parts of the story. Think about Ballcap Man or whatever Rhys-Davies's character is named. He looks perfectly ordinary, and he doesn't even stand out in comparison to some of the other art that we've seen, like these:

In comparison to those, Ballcap Man looks like some gently caress you'd see walking down the street every day. He doesn't seem important or unique in any way. But imagine for a second that Ballcap Man had the only ballcap you'd ever seen in Star Citizen. Or the only leather jacket. You would immediately key in on the fact that that piece of clothing was special or unique. Maybe a family heirloom or maybe a relic from a battle that was over long before you were born. It would serve to identify him and his story as something special in relation to the greater narrative of the Star Citizen universe. It's a powerful tool that they loving threw away because they are uninspired and bland, and couldn't even take inspiration from the poo poo that they are taking inspiration from

That would be kind of cool. He's not wearing a ballcap, polo, and bomber jacket because that's a functional choice of clothing. He's wearing that stuff because he's loving weird. He's basically the future equivalent of someone running around with a fox tail or wearing Renaissance clothing. But it's a backwater mining colony that's desperate for people so whatever the head of security likes to play dress up.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Notice how the gun has a scope in 1person. but when he goes in 3rd person to look at it the scope its gone lol.

Nah, it has the scope in third person too, looks like a miniature insulated coffee mug. The problem is that, just like anything else in this glitchy-rear end game, if the camera moves away from it and them back real quickly it can disappear.

"Look at all that recoil" says a grown nerd neckbeard while his character is floating in space, not noticing a little detail missing about the super-immersive recoil.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That would be kind of cool. He's not wearing a ballcap, polo, and bomber jacket because that's a functional choice of clothing. He's wearing that stuff because he's loving weird. He's basically the future equivalent of someone running around with a fox tail or wearing Renaissance clothing. But it's a backwater mining colony that's desperate for people so whatever the head of security likes to play dress up.

please don't shame my furry renaissance lifestyle choices

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320400/bitcoin-support

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So looking at stuff like this:

Is this all just bullshit? How and where is stuff like this supposed to be in the game?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

What a coincidence, just the other day I was making a comparison between bitcoin and SC to a friend.

Though as far as I know SC thus far hasn't lead to anyone giving themselves permenant brain damage...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Is this all just bullshit?

Of all the people in this thread you should know the answer to that question is yes when it comes to anything star citizen.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

peter gabriel posted:

Is this all just bullshit? How and where is stuff like this supposed to be in the game?

Establishing shots in the movie cut scenes

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i woke up on the wrong side of the bed so probably spoke a bit harshly but the last two commandos I saw were this guy and some other chin-dribbler who was going on about how he didn't fight and die in some war to get ripped off by crobbers. I probably just don't notice the normal ones.

sorry decent newcomers

We have all taken a hit - dealing with that.

And merging into a new community has hazards. Some wont make it. Some will.

TLDR:
poo poo happens.

But there is still no game.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Cutscenes in SQ42. Especially since they're porting it to the Wii now, there's no way that poo poo will appear in-engine in-game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wafflz posted:

Of all the people in this thread you should know the answer to that question is yes when it comes to anything star citizen.

I just wondered what they were for, because they are so far removed from what is being delivered it kind of even surprised me.

But as others have said, if they are art for the filming that at least makes some sense, even if it's all pie in the sky bullshittery

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The problem with Star Citizen's art direction is the lack of imagination. The artists are obviously clearly talented but whoever is telling them what to make has no vision of the future whatsoever. I will freely admit to not have having any game development experience, but it seems like it would be a good idea to establish the fundamentals of the game universe before having your art crews spend hours making assets. The image Sandi put on her facebook of "Randall Graves" (the character John Rhys-Davies plays) is a perfect example. There is nothing about that character who suggests they are 900 years in the future. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing jeans. Think about what the average person was wearing 900 years ago in Europe, let alone the rest of the world. Or even what the average person was wearing a hundred years ago. Yet we're supposed to believe that a major, iconic character for a AAA sci-fi game wouldn't look out of place in a trucker bar?

Other universes have done a much better job. Serenity intentionally evokes a "Wild West" vibe by creating a universe where technology outside of the core worlds is rare and the emphasis is on a frontier approach. Star Trek has a universe where scarcity is largely eliminated and as a result clothing is much more uniform. Star Wars emphasized diversity with millions of planets and species, and clothing to reflect that. Star Citizen had some really promising concept art in the beginning, but the actual implementation seems to have completely eliminated all of that. Just look at the civilian attire in the MMHC. Where's the creativity in that? It's ridiculously well done but also utterly uninspired.

I was thinking about clothing, especially utilitarian frontier clothing, would look like in the future. I made some assumptions:

1. Technological development continued to go at an advanced pace, seeing new developments in terms of materials and fabrication techniques as well as medical device technology.
2. The propagation of starship technology allows for the rapid transfer of goods between worlds, encouraging the propagation of trend-setting articles of clothing comparable to the spread of jeans today.
3. Humans as a whole would become healthier thanks to better foods and medicine, eliminating obesity and excessive fat.
4. The needs of space-born living would demand particular requirements for functionality, such as limited vacuum protection in the event of an emergency.

Historically we've seen clothing become more and more form fitting, so I would assume that trend would continue. Presumably with high levels of trade we would likely see a "default" outfit that would gain in popularity, particularly among people with the same physical needs (like space travelers), and stylistic choices would be largely limited to colors and minor details over a common form or extraneous levels of clothing over a functional core. Space-born living would necessitate an outfit that was protective against the elements and vacuum yet comfortable to wear nearly constantly due to the ever-present risk of decompression. Likely such an outfit would stay very close to the body so as to eliminate excess air and maximize efficiency for heating/cooling. There would also be the ability to rapidly seal the suit, so a helmet would probably be seen more often than not.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized there was already such an outfit prevalently being used in a science fiction game universe...

Amazing what happens when you have vision.

Even better, it's easy to tell what manufacturer and model ship someone is in, despite the instrument HUD being universal. Those Commanders up there are rocking in an Imperial Cutter:

Currently one of the biggest ships in the game that's pilotable by players, and they can haul an impressive 700 tons of cargo (that's impressive for space travel).

That ship will sit four players (currently all they are keeping multicrew to, for the moment) who will coordinate with the main pilot to make the ship even more effective, literally 'divert power to engines' and 'man the loving turrets' kind of deal, so we are told.

By the time multicrew hits in the fall, this ship can also be equipped with a bay that can hold small fighter ships, and can already be fitted with a hanger that can hold up to 4 space dune buggies, meaning you and your entire crew can land on a godforsaken planet, and explore it on wheels with fightership overwatch!

Also maybe pink and green laser beams, here's hopin'

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I just wondered what they were for, because they are so far removed from what is being delivered it kind of even surprised me.

But as others have said, if they are art for the filming that at least makes some sense, even if it's all pie in the sky bullshittery

They will be used in a cut scene, when Old Man is playing the futuristic video game "Star Marine" due to be released 2 years after the SQ42 story.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I guarantee there are people in the brown sea/reddit who are sure you will be able to enter every one of those rooms in every one of those buildings and do immersive stuff like rearrange the books on a shelf 1 by 1 with grabby hands™

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
And hopefully some cool paint jobs. I really want a wizard painted on at least one of my spaceships and frankly, I dislike game developers wasting infinite income potential like that.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

They will be available as DLC Hangar Flair- $5 each.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hey, you're back. I've been meaning to track you down and ask about getting into the Elite group, now that I think I might actually keep playing it. But I've been very busy effortposting about space pants and the many ways they enrage me.

peter gabriel posted:

Nah, man. Loading screens.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

D1E posted:

Cutscenes in SQ42. Especially since they're porting it to the Wii now, there's no way that poo poo will appear in-engine in-game.

I for one welcome the fidelity that comes with Red Steel style cutscenes and acting quality. Only the best from Croberts teams.

*Note: Game may be a visual nov- normal nove-... Ghost written shovelware book.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Loiosh posted:

Not excusing SC being lovely here, just pointing out that in general relativity, energy is mass and that most of the mass of all objects is in fact in the energy of their components being bound together, not in the rest mass.

Any weapon that fires energy will have a force acting upon it, the more powerful, the more force. And, the energy projectile will also have a force. More energy, more force. The way general relativity and quantum mechanics, in particular quantum chromadynamics interact is really weird. Just as a small example, did you know that most protons and neutrons are not made of the standard 3 quarks (UUD) that we think of? They are constantly swapping between 3, 4 and 5 quark systems as they exchange virtual Pi mesons with each other to facilitate the exchange of residual strong force.

QM is hosed.

I'm not sure lasers are designed around the impact damage of light but rather heat & radiation damage. You shoot a hole without making a dent, as it were. I'm not sure what sort of recoil you would get when attempting to cause light to produce impact damage but I imagine the resulting incidental damage from non kinetic energy would be similar to a nuclear blast.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 29, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Fatkraken posted:

Establishing shots in the movie cut scenes

The Painted Worlds of Imadumbass

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Scruffpuff posted:

Would you stand next to Sandi before your check cleared?

Scruffpuff posted:

Would you stand next to Sandi before your check cleared?

I believe the hair check is part of the audition.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D1E posted:

I highly doubt that those would end up in cutscenes. They're not 3D scenes, they are just plain ole' concept art.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Those look a lot like the backgrounds from when you landed on planets in Freelancer. third one is probably space-London, fourth is space-Coruscant

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Iglocska posted:

I highly doubt that those would end up in cutscenes. They're not 3D scenes, they are just plain ole' concept art.

Fair enough. I don't really understand game development.

At least I like to think I'm a better poster than HotsauceShoTYME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D1E posted:

Fair enough. I don't really understand game development.

At least I like to think I'm a better poster than HotsauceShoTYME.

Your posting has style and panache

• Locked thread