Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you love trade deadline day?
This poll is closed.
Yes 28 41.79%
Yes 39 58.21%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

Eh playoffs who knows one of them could get hot.

I don't think there was a clear upgrade available for a reasonable price.

Would have liked to see Nicushkin move as someone who owns him in fantasy hockey though.

I said it around here before but I though Reimer was a perfect option. He won't be winning any awards but he'll likely put up league average, won't cost much (in return or salary) and should be able to up his numbers respectably with a competent team in front of him*. I rip on the Two Headed Monster a lot but either of them would be perfectly serviceable as a backup option in case Reimer (or whatever they should have got) falters in the playoffs. Plus pretty much any goalie playing in Dallas is going to look better than they are by sheer volume of wins they'll be credited with (see: nieme and lethonen combining for 38 wins somehow).

I just don't know how someone as competent (and at times, plain brilliant) as Jim Nill can look at this team and think that Russel is the loving solution. I'd honestly take any of the pieces in that trade individually over Russel.

I actually had an odd feeling that Nuk would get moved. He's play has been up lately and he isn't exactly a rare comodity on this team. I'm happy with him sticking around though.

*-okay, Dallas isn't exactly a defensive powerhouse, but he wouldn't have to worry about losing the game just because he let in a couple early goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

fits posted:

conditional 3rd

It ticks to a 2nd if Anaheim makes the WCF, which isn't the worst bet.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Yeah, that's a real good deal??????????

who the gently caress are these people

u dont know conor "the yawner" allen????

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Reimer is better than the Niemi / Letitin combo. He's basically the same thing.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZacBoyer/status/704409444638138373

Ugh that must have been brutal. Good thing for Laich is that he is spared the heartbreak when the Rangers bounce the Caps in the second round again!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Laich didn't carve "Brooks Was Here" into his locker, it's like why is he even alive?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fits posted:

conditional 3rd

What the gently caress GMTM, way to get fleeced

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Can't wait until we find out that Benning has developed a crippling phobia of smart phones.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What the gently caress GMTM, way to get fleeced

you are wrong about everything you ever post in the hockey thread, fyi

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think Reimer is better than the Niemi / Letitin combo. He's basically the same thing.

He's consistently put up better numbers than both of them over the past 2-3 seasons while playing on a considerably worse team. He's also younger and his contract is reasonable (expensive for a backup and not for a starter). Okay, maybe I'm overselling him a bit, but I honestly believe he (or pretty much anyone) would be an improvement over Niemi-Lethonen.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

T-Bone posted:

Seems kinda early to give up on Matteau. The Stempniak return is solid.

it seems like a nothing trade. Organization basically admitting that pick was an awful mistake.

Like the day outside of that. Schlemko is a good piece to build around.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

whatis posted:

you are wrong about everything you ever post in the hockey thread, fyi

You're cool

McGinn was worth more than that, he was surprisingly decent this year.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Not sure I w saw it posted, but Martin Gelinas was also moved to Colorado.

What the Hell Avs, Tanguay and Bleakly!? Really?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

LumpyGumby posted:

Haha Martin Gelinas

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

LumpyGumby posted:

that fucker torched the habs with Carolina. good on him unretiring and getting a 2nd chance for a playoff push!

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Apparently, they're having some sort of issue with the line that does the trade calls. The league's asked teams to hold off on announcing anything until the calls go through.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/CraigCustance/status/704413873277902848

:rip:

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You're cool

McGinn was worth more than that, he was surprisingly decent this year.

in absolutely no universe is McGinn worth more than a 3rd or 2nd round pick. He's a passenger on every line he plays on and is incapable of two-way play. He's also a pending UFA that will be too expensive to resign, and with him being a complementary player in virtually every sense of the phrase, there's no way you can reasonable ask for anything more than what Tim Murray got for him. It's solid value for a guy that has no value to the organization going forward

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Caps kept the right Brooks

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ThinkTank posted:

Yes. He is a Philly based musician named Dwayne Klessel. He has at least one friend in the Flyers' front office as he broke the Carter and Richards double trades. I think Heatley for Hossa too, so if someone figures out what staff member migrated from either Atlanta or Ottawa to Philly during that time they can tell who it is.

This is old, but is this actually true? I don't believe it

Brooks Laich got hosed :(

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If there'd been more action today I'd be pissed that the Leafs couldn't move Parenteau but it really just seems like the buyers weren't having it this year so it's hard to be upset.

The potential flaw in the Leafs signing so many deliberate rentals was always that you'd find diminishing returns the more guys you wanted to move. There's only so many open roster spots on teams that are buying and only so many draft picks that are really available. It's not like you could actually sign 10 guys to 1-year deals and expect 10 picks in return.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Dammit, not Martin Gelinas, Eric Gelinas.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I wonder if the early stacking of chicago (and play of washington) this year dissuaded other bubble teams from going too wild on the trade market.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Lumius posted:

I wonder if the early stacking of chicago (and play of washington) this year dissuaded other bubble teams from going too wild on the trade market.

Kind of silly if so. Chicago is strong but vulnerable. They *might* be able to get a Cup by having Keith superman his way through 33 minutes a game, but if he, Hjalmarsson or Seabrook get hurt, it's game over, at least past the first round.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 29, 2016

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So the deadline is over?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm trying to think of one thing that Benning has done to make the Canucks better and am drawing a blank

He is a garbage GM running a garbage team with a garbage owner

What a dumpster fire of an organization

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

So the deadline is over?

yep

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

If Laich didn't carve "Brooks Was Here" into his locker, it's like why is he even alive?

Brooks had all season to show he was worth keeping through the playoffs and he still played like rear end, couldn't score, and this past month he was almost taking a penalty a game. His PK was good and that's it. GMBM manned up and got something out of his value instead of buying out his contract this summer. That's a win for the Caps going forward into next year regardless of how the playoffs go.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Pens made all of their trades with a guy in the hotel next to the arena. I wonder if they went to breakfast together and made the trades in person.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Oilers picked up maroon because

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Schlesische posted:

So the deadline is over?

technically speaking yes. but the nhl is apparently having troubles with the phone line for the official trade calls, and it sounds like theres a long line of transactions to take place still

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Number19 posted:

I'm trying to think of one thing that Benning has done to make the Canucks better and am drawing a blank

he's dropped ticket prices by 2/3rds

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cartoon Man posted:

Brooks had all season to show he was worth keeping through the playoffs and he still played like rear end, couldn't score, and this past month he was almost taking a penalty a game. His PK was good and that's it. GMBM manned up and got something out of his value instead of buying out his contract this summer. That's a win for the Caps going forward into next year regardless of how the playoffs go.

Uh..., the Capitals didn't "get value" for Brooks Laich, they shipped out a 2nd round pick and a prospect to get rid of his cap hit, end of story.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/LAKingsPR/status/704419999763603457

darryl's kid apparently

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

grack posted:

Uh..., the Capitals didn't "get value" for Brooks Laich, they shipped out a 2nd round pick and a prospect to get rid of his cap hit, end of story.

Well, you could argue that they got value if they turned around and used that space for some rental upgrade. But yeah, as it stands, they could have just bought him out or moved him for less in the summer to clear FA room.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Number19 posted:

He traded for Baertschi which was pretty good deal. The only problem is that's his only good deal and everything else was pretty terrible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JoelJoel posted:

Well, you could argue that they got value if they turned around and used that space for some rental upgrade. But yeah, as it stands, they could have just bought him out or moved him for less in the summer to clear FA room.

It seemed obvious that this was the reason for the trade but it doesn't look like it actually happened so :shrug:

The kicker is the Caps probably gave up a lot more to get rid of him prior to the deadline than they would have over the summer.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I know Patrick Maroon is big but like what else does he do.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I am so glad Gagliardi bought the Stars and was denied buying the Canucks even if Kris Russell is at best a lateral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

MassaShowtime posted:

I know Patrick Maroon is big but like what else does he do.

according to the TSN face-plates he's also slow

• Locked thread