Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
What horror have I wrought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

What horror have I wrought

Shouldn't you be eating something?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Look up a BMR calculator and work from there.

It's really good to work out how many calories you need on days you do nothing vs days you do something.

Then be like me and drink stacks of IPA and wonder why you're 7kg overweight.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Mitch Clark's body is a wreck

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So is David Swallow's apparently, out for 16 weeks with bone bruising in the knee, don't tell Volkerball

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 1, 2016

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Clarko, Hodge and Hawkthorn are doing a deal with the devil for a 4th premiership

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
loving PttN :argh:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

thepokey posted:

Clarko, Hodge and Hawkthorn are doing a deal with the devil for a 4th premiership

not too much of a step down from kennett

Christo3
May 1, 2013

Corzaa posted:

gently caress Collingwood.

Eddie Everywhere has to have his say about literally everything and involve Collingwood in everything.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So Brent Prismall is continuing in his role at the bulldogs, apparently with the AFL's blessing(but not ASADA's). Jesus gently caress this industry needs to grow the gently caress up and stop thinking it's above the law.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

:woop: It's not us for once :woop: although of course it stems from us :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

So Brent Prismall is continuing in his role at the bulldogs, apparently with the AFL's blessing(but not ASADA's). Jesus gently caress this industry needs to grow the gently caress up and stop thinking it's above the law.

When the verdict came down, I read that the role Prismall has at the Bulldogs is one outside the scope of the ban, so they can't really make him stop.

The new article is behind the News paywall, and the old google the headline trick isn't working.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

When the verdict came down, I read that the role Prismall has at the Bulldogs is one outside the scope of the ban, so they can't really make him stop.

The new article is behind the News paywall, and the old google the headline trick isn't working.

quote:

BANNED former Bomber Brent Prismall is working at the Western Bulldogs in defiance of advice from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

Prismall is the only member of the Essendon 34 who ­remains in the AFL system.

The Herald Sun can reveal ASADA provided advice to the AFL after the January 12 Court of Arbitration for Sport verdict indicating that Prismall should be stood down from his position as the Bulldogs’ player welfare manager while serving his suspension.

Twelve current Essendon players and five now at other clubs will sit out the AFL ­season, along with Greater Western Sydney assistant coach Mark McVeigh.

The drugs bans apply to all levels of football and have cost former Bombers such as Nathan Lovett-Murray, Sam Lon-ergan and Henry Slattery country coaching jobs.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon said the AFL had approved Prismall’s employment at the club.

“The AFL have indicated to us in writing their comfort with the arrangement,” Gordon told the Herald Sun.

“We are fully satisfied that the terms of engagement fit within the ­parameters of all relevant ­regulations and we are pleased that he is able to continue.”

But an AFL spokesperson said talks with ASADA about Prismall’s job were continuing.

“The AFL has been in discussions with ASADA with respect to the implications of the suspensions for all 34 players on a case-by-case basis,” she said.

“These discussions with ASADA are continuing.”

Section 22.1 of the AFL anti-doping code states that “no player or other person who has been declared ineligible may, during the period of ineligibility, participate in any ­capacity in an AFL competition or activity”.

Asked about the job of Prismall (pictured) at the Bulldogs, an ASADA spokesman said: “As the AFL have responsibility for enforcing their anti-doping policy in the first instance, we suggest you contact them.”

The Herald Sun has been told at least one senior AFL ­figure agrees with ASADA’s position on Prismall’s employment.

Others believe that unlike the circumstances facing McVeigh at GWS, Prismall’s work in player welfare is not directly connected to the Dogs’ on-field performance, therefore not in breach of the code.

It also emerged that Lonergan, who has lost his job as playing coach of Launceston Football Club, was ­exploring options to remain employed by the club in ­another capacity.

THE CODE SAYS NO

Status during ineligibility according to the AFL anti-doping code.

* 22.1 Prohibition Against Participation During Ineligibility

(a) No Player or other Person who has been declared Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility, participate in any capacity in an AFL Competition or activity (other than authorised Anti-Doping education or rehabilitation programs) authorised by the AFL, Affiliated State or Territory Body or AFL Clubs, any Signatory or Signatory’s member organisation or a club or other member organisation of a Signatory’s member organisation, or in competitions authorised or organised by any professional league or any international or national level event organisation or any elite or national-level sporting activity funded by a government agency.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I mean it clearly says 'in any capacity'

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

realbez posted:

Agreed. I thought "Player Welfare Officer, that's probably OK really, and a good thing for a guy banned for drugs to do" but if the letter of the law says "any capacity" then no, it's really not OK.

They just want to pick a fight, don't they.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Melbourne vs Bulldogs womens match this sunday will be streamed on the Melbourne website(and presumably the bulldogs and AFL websites), scheduled for after the mens game so probably a bit after 5pm.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

Thing is, you could also interpret that to also apply to them being able to attend games which they're allowed to do becacuse ASADA said they can. Either write it out properly and specify "employee of" or stop bitching about it ASADA.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know I think saying attending games is participating is a bit of a stretch but you're right, it should be totally black and white.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
wow ASADA have now said that prismall should not be working at the bulldogs at all and the situation should be rectified as soon as possible who could have seen this turn of events unfold, certainly not the heads of the afl because they have their heads too far up their own assholes to understand basic loving concept of a ban

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
In other drug related news, the clubs that didn't get top up players get to count a decent amount of this years salary outside the cap. That could be pretty useful.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

the article i read the other day on fox footy said that afl made an in principle ruling that essendon should cover over half of the contracts of the affected players, and the new clubs can take their savings to the next year. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/por...84cb9e76b679aa5

which if i understand it right would mean an extra 200k+ the dees have to throw to jesse hogan. unrelated but tom mcdonald is out of contract this year too so it might make things easier to juggle.

e: found article

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 2, 2016

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

I don't know I think saying attending games is participating is a bit of a stretch but you're right, it should be totally black and white.

It comes down to what you would define as "participating". I agree its a stretch that attending a game is "participating" in it but people have gone to court over such discrepancies before.

Agreed it needs to be completely black and white.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

wow ASADA have now said that prismall should not be working at the bulldogs at all and the situation should be rectified as soon as possible who could have seen this turn of events unfold, certainly not the heads of the afl because they have their heads too far up their own assholes to understand basic loving concept of a ban

:monocle:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

which if i understand it right would mean an extra 200k+ the dees have to throw to jesse hogan. unrelated but tom mcdonald is out of contract this year too so it might make things easier to juggle.

Is there a max you can offer players?

The NHL and NBA (I think the NBA has one, it might just have weird rules about salaries also NFL iirc) all have salary caps and part of that is that no one player could be paid more than a certain percentage of the cap.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Schlesische posted:

Is there a max you can offer players?

The NHL and NBA (I think the NBA has one, it might just have weird rules about salaries also NFL iirc) all have salary caps and part of that is that no one player could be paid more than a certain percentage of the cap.

There's only a theoretical max, which is what's left over after paying every other player on your list their mandated minimum wage.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

THE AFL has ordered the Western Bulldogs to stand down banned former Bomber Brent Prismall.

The backflip came after the Herald Sun revealed that Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority had advised the league that Prismall could not work as the club’s welfare officer while serving a drugs ban.

“The Western Bulldogs Football Club this evening received correspondence from the AFL stating Brent Prismall was now no longer permitted to continue his employment with the Club until the end of the suspension period,” the club said.

“The club notes the change of position and will conform to the AFL’s revised direction, but continue to support Brent through his suspension.”

ASADA said it had given “clear advice” to the AFL that Prismall should be stood down from his job at the Bulldogs.

The agency hit back after Dogs chiefs claimed the anti-doping agency had told the league Prismall was free to continue to serve as the club’s welfare manager.

“ASADA is in conversation with the AFL on a number of issues regarding the players’ sanctions and their activities,” an ASADA spokesperson said.

“On the issue of Mr Prismall’s employment however, ASADA has previously provided clear advice to the AFL that he should not be working in that role.

“ASADA has not been privy to any conversations between the AFL and the Western Bulldogs Football Club since that advice, but we hope the situation is rectified as soon as possible.”

The AFL last night declined to explain why it had allowed Prismall to stay in his role since the January 12 CAS verdict against the Essendon 34.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

TG-Chrono posted:

loving PttN :argh:

Very good:golfclap:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
So doesn't that mean Prismall has to start his suspension again?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm wondering if maybe Peter Gordon doesn't have as much of a handle on this ASADA stuff as he has been publicly stating.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8YUK2M726k
Accompanying article from the AFLPA website: http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/beating-his-demons-the-steven-febey-story/

Related article from the hun 4 years ago

quote:

FUNNY the things that play on your mind. They whirl around and around. For Steven Febey, it's been the same questions, over and over.

Even 10 years after the Bali bombing, some days those drat questions are still there.

Why did I survive when 202 were lost? Is this all my fault? What have I gone and done? Some call it survivor guilt but for the former Melbourne Football Club great, it has been much more.

His flesh survived the blast but in reality his whole life crumbled after bombs threw him against a brick wall.

Sleeping pills, booze, benders, the end of his marriage, dodgy deals, "ratbag" mates and despair.

He popped pills - two every night for four years.

"It became an obsession and I convinced myself I couldn't sleep if I didn't take sleeping tablets," he said.

Life after football also saw him reacquainted with booze. There was nothing stopping him having a drink through the week. It was a life he wasn't used to while playing footy and sometimes the temptation was too great.

Febey landed a job in sales in 2003 at a telco, but just as he picked himself up, he crashed back down.

Yet another footy-related operation, number 21, put him in a moon boot for six months.

"Drinking did mask a bit of the pain post-footy, post-Bali and post-operations," he says. "You would booze up and go silly and thought nothing about having a drink every night."

Sometimes the Demons were much more than a footy club. The toughest opponent he would face, despite 258 games with Melbourne, would be himself.

The penny dropped for Febey one Sunday morning recently. He was at his Prahran home in bed. He'd had one too many hard party nights. "The penny just dropped," he reflects.

"I was alone, single, not working. This is not how I wanted my life to be. This is not me. It was getting to the point where what I was doing wasn't fun - the party scene was all too common and regular. I'm at the bottom now looking to the top of the hill."

He's making big changes to life. He is leaving Prahran, with its pubs on every corner. He's going to the 'burbs, getting a job and starting life from scratch. For the man who says he could have fun in a letterbox, it is yet another big change.

His marriage to long-time sweetheart Louise Dobson, an Olympic hockey gold medallist, was over in 2008 after seven years.

He has simple words to describe what happened next. He was associating with people he now describes as "ratbags". He says they lured him into unfamiliar territory. His thinking became irrational. The parties kept going.

"I was living the life of a 21-year-old aged 40," he remembers. He lent money to a mate. As he puts it: "It wasn't a round of drinks."

The money vanished and he is yet to see it.

But he gets conned again after a new acquaintance sells him a new business venture. Febey sees quick dollar signs to help recoup lost funds and with a divorce settlement ahead.

"I've met some ratbags and I refer to them as weekend friends. It never was my crowd but I embraced it and encouraged it," he said.

"There was a fear of being lonely and I love company and because I enjoy the social side of things, you attract the wrong people."

When asked about drugs, Febey takes a deep breath. It's not an area of his life he likes to talk about.

"My social behaviour hasn't been acceptable and my social behaviour wasn't great," he says.

"I don't want to elaborate on that too much, I think you know. What it does, it affected my perceptions.

"You think they are good people but they are not. We carried on and played up all weekend, all-nighters.

"People say I'm a party boy - whether that masked something in my life, whether it be divorce, Bali, being ripped off or not having a job - that was a good way of dealing with it."

Used. Abused. Broke. Still lonely. Febey is left to pick up the pieces once again.

What seemed to be a "legitimate or worthwhile investment and occupation" wasn't the case and it collapsed, bringing Febey down again.

"I tried to make up gains and make up losses and that's what happens. I was to trying to catch up and making poor decisions and not thinking clearly because of my social behaviour," he said. "I started free-falling."

Images of mangled bodies, flesh on fire and the screams of people still replay in Febey's mind like you have hit the repeat button on an iPod.

The footy trip was his last hurrah with teammates that had become best mates and brothers, and Febey was organiser, ringmaster. He had retired that year and wanted a trip to remember.

But when the bombs tore though the Sari Club, he was alone, covered in blood and dust, his three best mates nowhere to be seen for 10 hours.

Febey thought he killed them. Bali was his idea, as was the idea of staying on for a couple more days with best mate and best man at his wedding Mark Andrews, and Steven Armstrong and David Robbins.

Heading into the weekend, the club had been pumping, half-naked girls chasing footy trip players.

Last out the gates Friday, the four fronted up for more of the same on Saturday.

"It was always a competition who would be the last ones to leave Sari," Febey says. "We paid off the security guard (on Friday) so we were the last ones to leave.

"It was a goodbye gesture with the big gate closing behind us.

"At the time we didn't think anything of it but that was to be the last time that gate was shut because the next night the bomb went off."

The vivid images are still with Febey. He didn't have post-footy depression. Bali took care of that for him and he says he was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress.

"Your senses go into overload. The screams of the people, the smell of flesh and just the sights of limbs everywhere," he said.

"I walked up and down that bomb site trying to find my mates. Unbeknown to me I was covered in blood, dirt and dust but I didn't realise that until I got to the hotel," he says.

Febey is rebuilding his life and even eyeing off returning to footy, teaching the junior kids, and will return to Bali for the 10th anniversary next month.

"It'll always be with me. I've got two arms and two legs and I'm upright and breathing and I'm not going to waste the rest of my life that I have," he said.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 2, 2016

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

THE AFL has ordered the Western Bulldogs to stand down banned former Bomber Brent Prismall.

The backflip came after the Herald Sun revealed that Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority had advised the league that Prismall could not work as the club’s welfare officer while serving a drugs ban.

“The Western Bulldogs Football Club this evening received correspondence from the AFL stating Brent Prismall was now no longer permitted to continue his employment with the Club until the end of the suspension period,” the club said.

“The club notes the change of position and will conform to the AFL’s revised direction, but continue to support Brent through his suspension.”

ASADA said it had given “clear advice” to the AFL that Prismall should be stood down from his job at the Bulldogs.

The agency hit back after Dogs chiefs claimed the anti-doping agency had told the league Prismall was free to continue to serve as the club’s welfare manager.

“ASADA is in conversation with the AFL on a number of issues regarding the players’ sanctions and their activities,” an ASADA spokesperson said.

“On the issue of Mr Prismall’s employment however, ASADA has previously provided clear advice to the AFL that he should not be working in that role.

“ASADA has not been privy to any conversations between the AFL and the Western Bulldogs Football Club since that advice, but we hope the situation is rectified as soon as possible.”

The AFL last night declined to explain why it had allowed Prismall to stay in his role since the January 12 CAS verdict against the Essendon 34.

Honestly, how could the AFL have let it go this far? It's ridiculous.

This is the equivalent of exposing yourself in front of the police station and expecting to walk away from it. They must have known ASADA wouldn't be happy with it. The ruling couldn't have been clearer. The whole situation was front and back page news for three loving years. It's STILL news. And then, when it was challenged, they just sat on their hands and said "nah, all good mate" as though they legitimately thought that ASADA wouldn't immediately force them into a humiliating backflip.

In years gone past I would have assumed that the AFL is just corrupt, but they're honestly not smart enough to be corrupt. They're just loving idiots.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

God hes jumpy

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

God hes jumpy

ptsd from a bombing and recovery from substance abuse can to do that

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-03/the-2016-free-agent-list?camefrom=EMCL_987573_38913773

Only big names on the list are at the end of their careers, Daniel Rich might get some interest.

Also, Jack Watts.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-03/the-2016-free-agent-list?camefrom=EMCL_987573_38913773

Only big names on the list are at the end of their careers, Daniel Rich might get some interest.

Also, Jack Watts.

You're a lunatic if you think Hooker isn't the biggest name on that by a mile.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Pretty entertaining 4th and finish for this match after 3 quarters of pretty average footy.

McGovern snatches it with the last 30 seconds.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

the mcg is bringing back kick to kick after the game and the dome will do it as well, they are yet to confirm which games this will take place

reminds me of back in 08 (i think) when the demons made a deal with the mcg management to do a post game kick to kick for a match against fremantle, then put on a pathetic performance for the first 3 quarters ending up 9 goals down, where most of the fans intended on walking out but hung around solely for being able to go onto the ground afterwards. instead they ended up seeing the dees stage their biggest ever comeback and run down a 54 point deficit in just over a quarter to win by 3 points.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bulldogs are missing a fair chunk of out best 22 for this saturday. Only one here that I would say that is a depth player is Biggs and he's mostly in that 20-28 range where you play them based on who is performing best or on needs.

Not playing: Suckling, Murphy, Bontempelli, Hunter, Stringer, Wood, Biggs, Stevens, Dickson, Morris, Johannisen, Picken

Although on the other hand, it's the grand return of Libba.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

so thats one of about 6 positive melbourne related memories i have for the last decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh yeah there was football on tonight.

• Locked thread