Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Man, both series that contributed to the name Metroidvania are dead now. :smith:

Castlevania is a pachinko series now, I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

CrazySalamander posted:

Castlevania is a pachinko series now, I've heard.

Like I said. :v:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

My favorite Girl Scout story is the one of that girl who set up her cookie stand directly outside the front door of a marijuana dispensary. She was sold out in like an hour.

Smart girl.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

Man, both series that contributed to the name Metroidvania are dead now. :smith:

I don't think Nintendo is going to really bury Metroid just yet, they were just made acutely aware of how difficult it is for them to understand the foreign market and will be very cautious about who they give the next title to.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I forget, was Other M received well in Japan?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I forget, was Other M received well in Japan?

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-metroid-other-m/

E: I'd accompany this with a summary but skimming breifly the answer is ":shrug:"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AlphaKretin posted:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-metroid-other-m/

E: I'd accompany this with a summary but skimming breifly the answer is ":shrug:"

Other M was a very weird experience for me. I actually enjoyed a lot of it when I was playing, I liked the gameplay and the puzzles. I've never been a person who's big on exploration though so understandably the game did what I wanted it to. I also didn't mind the Ridley PTSD stuff since from my understanding of psychological issues you can do something a hundred times but never lose your fear of it. But it was just so unsatisfying looking back on it afterwards. So many plot threads that I assumed would be resolved got left behind, so many relationships I thought might be fleshed out were kept completely barebones. Blegh, a horrible game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Other M in a nutshell:

*runs through the lava-zone*

Adam: "Samus, you have permission to activate your Varia suit now. That you've had this WHOLE TIME and didn't turn on."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Alkydere posted:

Other M in a nutshell:

*runs through the lava-zone*

Adam: "Samus, you have permission from me, who has no official authority over you, to activate your Varia suit now. That you've had this WHOLE TIME and didn't turn on."

But enough about Other Mother. For some reason it seemed like there were more than 12 artifacts. A fetch quest you can knock out half of before having to start focusing on it isn't bad at all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, Prime's fetch quest for the final boss keys actually isn't so bad since even if you're a on your first playthrough you're likely to knock out 3-4 before the end game.

Meanwhile you need one of the very tail end upgrades in Prime 2's arsenal to even begin searching for the final boss keys. And each zone has 3 boss keys of its own to collect.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's nothing stopping you from collecting them all throughout the game, it would just require a lot more backtracking. They're all present in the game world from the very start but are gated by the various upgrades, and it just so happens you need the final suit upgrade in order to get one of the artifacts (Newborn in the phazon tunnel), so in that sense you can't complete the whole fetch quest until the end of the game.

Heck, there's one artifact I usually get right after getting the Spider Ball that FP has yet to grab. And I consider getting that one when I do get it a shortcut!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
You can get the Newborn without the Phazon Suit. Normal needs enough E tanks. Hard might be impossible.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

PhazonLink posted:

You can get the Newborn without the Phazon Suit. Normal needs enough E tanks. Hard might be impossible.

I tried this last year, using every e-tank available to me. I didn't even make it to the artifact chamber before getting a game over. This was in Normal.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I don't know how or why FP puts up with anything I do in our recording sessions but thanks to him not stopping me, my "Prime Recordings" folder on dropbox now looks like this

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

(By the way we did our final recording today and beat the game. It was a fun time.)

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

FPzero posted:

(By the way we did our final recording today and beat the game. It was a fun time.)

Video or it didn't happen.

Lunargaze
Mar 18, 2012

Spooky skeletons
Have you had any further thoughts on whether or not you'll do 2 and/or 3 after this LP?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd like to but I might not start them immediately after I finish the LP depending on circumstances. Either way, there's still plenty of content left in this LP before it's done. I'd say there's 5 more episodes until the end of the main run and then I'm expecting the sequence-breaking run to be another dozen videos or so.

Speaking of the sequence break run, I managed to get that Action Replay code for the Fusion Suit unlock to finally work with Dolphin, so the plan is to show that off.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Chalk me up as another diehard lover of Thin Mints.

Also, your last video made me get some from the freezer, you evil people.

Also, thankfully, there's a spiritual successor to Castlevania.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh hey, only one of the three words comprising my first guess of "indie kickstarter vapourware" was correct! :toot: That's a relief.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh hey, only one of the three words comprising my first guess of "indie kickstarter vapourware" was correct! :toot: That's a relief.

How many kickstarters have burned you?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Personally none but it carries a stigma of abandoned games or low effort EA stuff that goes nowhere. I didn't realise Iga was involved until I clicked the link, hence the post expressing relief.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That's an odd stigma considering 95% of all my kickstarters have gone just fine and produced games. The 5% was CLANG.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well I mean sure, 95% of those you've backed. How many have you declined to back because they looked hopeless?

Anyway, this is not the thread. Metroid is or was cool video games. :)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember playing the original as a kid with my mom and brothers. My mom woke us all up at like 1 in the morning when she finally beat Mother Brain. She was so excited.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember playing the original as a kid with my mom and brothers. My mom woke us all up at like 1 in the morning when she finally beat Mother Brain. She was so excited.

Your mom's cool.

DoubleNegative posted:

I tried this last year, using every e-tank available to me. I didn't even make it to the artifact chamber before getting a game over. This was in Normal.

You need at least 12 e-tanks, the Gravity Suit, and it's only possible in the GameCube versions. Retro increased damage from phazon by an order of magnitude in the Wii version, so it's impossible even on the lowest difficulty.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

quote:

girl scout cookies chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_LQ5lR4gU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mordaedil posted:

How many kickstarters have burned you?

Mighty No. 9, three times.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
girl scout cookies are made with love and dreams and as a british chef I assume his palette only reacts to the dour cynicism only found in proper english cuisine

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The enemies don't seem to want to die in ways that make physical sense anymore.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.

FPzero posted:

I'd like to but I might not start them immediately after I finish the LP depending on circumstances. Either way, there's still plenty of content left in this LP before it's done. I'd say there's 5 more episodes until the end of the main run and then I'm expecting the sequence-breaking run to be another dozen videos or so.

Speaking of the sequence break run, I managed to get that Action Replay code for the Fusion Suit unlock to finally work with Dolphin, so the plan is to show that off.

I'm choosing to interpret this as "I'm doing MP: Hunters 100% run next for my adoring fans."

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
At least now I know where Drewseph got the idea for 12 Chozo Guardians from.

You can really tell how much time they spent on this game. I like that you have to topple the tower to get an artifact, but it begs the question of how exactly the Chozo knew there'd be a tower there blocking access.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

At least now I know where Drewseph got the idea for 12 Chozo Guardians from.

You can really tell how much time they spent on this game. I like that you have to topple the tower to get an artifact, but it begs the question of how exactly the Chozo knew there'd be a tower there blocking access.

The Chozo's excuse is that they've been wandering in and out of time and space, just watching the planet.

Secretly they're afraid that Samus will call them out on not asking for directions back to a pertinent set of time-space coordinates.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We learn more Fae-facts today.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at this game. It's absolutely gorgeous. And oddly for once, my favorite visuals aren't the water related ones. And Metroid has always been good about making sure to tell you "Hey, this place is like, right there, but come back when you've got a powerup". They don't really hide where you need to go, but they make sure you're ready.

Hey Fae, do you watch Steven Universe?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I do, its one of my favourite shows! So full of love and positivity and its a show that we all need and deserve in our lives :3:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Here's the terrible song that was mentioned in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCSJzw6QM_Q

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Playing along, I didn't actually mind Chozo Ghosts much, especially since most battles with them were in the rooms I visited before so I could just avoid them. It's just wait for a bird to appear (complete with an audio cue), then charge shoot it, maybe toss a Super Missile if in a hurry.

On the other hand, when I finally got to the Omega Pirate, I couldn't deal any damage to him in the second phase because he was done recharging by the time I took care of his friends. Eventually I said screw it, ignored the other pirates, focussed on the boss and won by cheesing him with Super Missiles. By that time I was down to two energy tanks, playing on WiiU Normal, which is supposedly easier than the original GameCube default. This made me realise how easy FP is making everything look. And also that reaching for the minus button (beam switch) on a wiimote is a pain.

Also, I love that Chozo refer to Samus as "the Hatchling" in their prophecies. :kimchi:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Huh. I thought amethysts were actual rocks.

Does that mean Sapphires, Emeralds, and Rubies aren't actual gems, since they're all the same kind, just with a different impurity?

At least, I think they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

I do, its one of my favourite shows! So full of love and positivity and its a show that we all need and deserve in our lives :3:

I have to admit that I was on the fence about watching Steven Universe until Fae recommended it a few videos back. Turns out it's a lot of fun!

• Locked thread