Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Edit: Disregard this post, I got in the clan.

Are you supposed to get a confirmation pop-up if you've send an invite request to a clan? I typed my super secret goon password phrase and it just took me back to the clan overview without any indication that the invite was send.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Verno5x posted:

When you split push it actually helps a lot to have a single unit that can do a ton of damage and move quick. I'll pretty often drop a Hog Rider or Prince solo in the opposite lane since they either need to answer it or lose 1/2+ of a tower's HP.

Hog riders were made for split pushing. Prince is not as good because he's easily distracted. Dark Prince is also very good at this because he can just aoe the small minions that the enemy might put in your way that would otherwise stop the prince, but he does less tower damage.

letheguzzler
Oct 5, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Are you supposed to get a confirmation pop-up if you've send an invite request to a clan? I typed my super secret goon password phrase and it just took me back to the clan overview without any indication that the invite was send.

There is no confirmation pop-up. I wondered the same after sending my request.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wall monitor posted:

Get them to commit to fighting on one side, then drop units on the other side. If they've just spent 5 elixir on defensive units on the left side, then that's 5 less elixir they'll be able to spend on countering your giant on the right side.

It's tricky, though. If you just split your units without a plan they'll get chewed up by tower damage since you're engaging both towers at the same time. And if your opponent can counter both sides with units left over then you could be counter-split. Stuff like that.

It's easy to over-play your hand in this situation. A good time to split-push/backdoor is when your opponent has invested a lot in attacking one side and left their other side open, so you need to balance attacking the open side while defending against their push. I often mess this up, but over-playing my hand is something I need to work in general, not just in this situation :haw:

One related thing I've wondered about is their design decision to hide the opponent's elixir bar versus showing it. This is important because knowing how much elixir your opponent has greatly helps you play better in a situation. And because it's hidden, the solution here is to memorize the elixir cost of every unit, and to develop an intuitive feel for how fast elixir regenerates. This doesn't add anything to the game for me; instead it feels like RTS/MOBA busywork. Yeah, it might be fun for kids or students who have a ton of time to sit and become the elite wizard of the game among their friends, but for forgive me if I really just don't care about putting that kind of energy into a poop-break cell phone game. Just showing the opponent's drat meter seems like a better idea, because I feel like all it would do is reduce the barrier to enjoying the higher strategic elements of the game.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
There apparently used to be a patch exploit that would allow you to see the enemy's elixir, but obviously it's gone now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Where is the 80 gems for 2k gold deal? I only see 60 gems for 1k then 500 gems for 10k.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
It's a little frustrating that while waiting for chests anyone with the goblin auto-spawner is an automatic loss - I can't keep up with the stuff they put down

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Coolspaz posted:

It's a little frustrating that while waiting for chests anyone with the goblin auto-spawner is an automatic loss - I can't keep up with the stuff they put down

This has always been one of the most annoying strategies to defend. You need AOE troops and direct damage spells to hurt their tower will simultaneously taking out the huts.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Coolspaz posted:

I pack a Baby Dragon and Fireball just for people like this. It leaves me a little open to hard hitting single troops but a well placed fireball has been a lifesaver in a lot of situations.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
I unlocked the Witch and I'm on a 10 game winning streak. 5 elixir is way too cheap for all she does but I don't see her being used on higher level games.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

DoubleWelp posted:

I unlocked the Witch and I'm on a 10 game winning streak. 5 elixir is way too cheap for all she does but I don't see her being used on higher level games.

She's not because while she's a good character, other characters are just better, e.g., the Wizard, at doing the same thing. For example, a wizard can make short work of an entire group of minions or barbs while a witch can't as easily. Also, the witch is an epic card, so it's harder to level up. I think my witch is level 2, and I've been playing since day 1 of soft launch a few months ago.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Solkanar512 posted:

Where is the 80 gems for 2k gold deal? I only see 60 gems for 1k then 500 gems for 10k.

my mistake

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Thanks random youtube guy for telling me to use my gems on chest unlocks!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

commish posted:

She's not because while she's a good character, other characters are just better, e.g., the Wizard, at doing the same thing. For example, a wizard can make short work of an entire group of minions or barbs while a witch can't as easily. Also, the witch is an epic card, so it's harder to level up. I think my witch is level 2, and I've been playing since day 1 of soft launch a few months ago.

Commish: all the mobile games!

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

Commish: all the mobile games!

Haha, it's so I can play at work! :p But I've been posting about Clash Royale for a while... even in the GOH thread. I love it.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
I find if you can get 1 tower down and keep hucking out giants at them it's impossible to lose, but gotta get that first tower, I ususally use giant and witch/pekka (which ever is up) and it works pretty good (pekka hits like a loving truck)

Coolspaz fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 2, 2016

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'm having pretty good success with this deck lately around 1500-1700 trophies.

Top row is generally used for defense, bottom row is used mainly for offense.

Ideally, I'll drop my musketeer around my tower at about 8 energy, then my giant by the bridge, and spear gobs right behind. It's a really effective high elixer attack that will generally take a tower, or if they try to counter against my other tower, win the game right away after dropping everything behind it.

Balloon/freeze is my other offensive combo, but I tend to use it later in the game and it's the most effective when they don't know you have freeze yet.

The 1 elixir skeletons are one of my favorite cards because their low cost allows me to counter the ever annoying prince and hog right away.

If my opponent goes on the defense with mass towers, this deck isn't so hot, but i'll generally just play defensive too and get a draw.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Kick some chump out of one of your clans so I can join thanks

edit: Invite only and no way to request to join? Do I have to post my player ID here or something?

edit2: Never mind there is no longer a spot in Goonageddon

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 3, 2016

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Why did I get kicked from Goonageddon? I donate every day.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

McSpankWich posted:

edit: Invite only and no way to request to join? Do I have to post my player ID here or something?

"Invite only" means you can apply, but you have to and be approved by clan elders before you're in. And unfortunately the clan system is terrible: the only thing it gives you to tell if someone is inactive is the proxy of how many troops they've donated in the last few days. So the only way I've thought of to track this is to like, keep a spreadsheet and axe people who don't donate.

Also, it seems like clan stuff is messed up in-game at the moment?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"Invite only" means you can apply, but you have to and be approved by clan elders before you're in. And unfortunately the clan system is terrible: the only thing it gives you to tell if someone is inactive is the proxy of how many troops they've donated in the last few days. So the only way I've thought of to track this is to like, keep a spreadsheet and axe people who don't donate.

Also, it seems like clan stuff is messed up in-game at the moment?

Yea I mean, there was a spot in Goonageddon, it said 49/50, but seemingly no way to apply, no buttons or anything on the info page. Then it bumped back up to 50, so I have no idea. Maybe it was some kind of graphical glitch?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How in the heck are you guys leveling fast enough to join a guild so quickly?

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
Looks like both goon guilds. Trying to join as rundown

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

How in the heck are you guys leveling fast enough to join a guild so quickly?

Once I hit 400 cups I hit lv 3. So win more I guess

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

The Pell posted:

Why did I get kicked from Goonageddon? I donate every day.

Weird. I logged back in and I was back in the guild.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Salty goons warning!! I'm going to kick everyone with zero cards donated. I'm going to do this in a couple of days, so don't freak out. Just try and remember to check your little statistic in the clan list. If you get kicked, feel free to reapply; no hard feelings over this cell phone video game.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Any open goon clans?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

no hard feelings over this cell phone video game.

What if all I have is hard feelings over cell phone video games?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Why don't we just start a new clan?

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Why don't we just start a new clan?

It costs 1000 gold which us new guys don't have

Coolspaz fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 3, 2016

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hit Arena 3 before my deck with 0 upgrades just fails to win. Even if I play perfectly, I'm level 3 playing against 5s, and even playing the right unit in rock/paper/scissor has me losing. Opening up a Magic chest that should be popped in the morning, might have better luck after getting a few upgrades, even if they're only Arena 1.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Hit Arena 3 before my deck with 0 upgrades just fails to win. Even if I play perfectly, I'm level 3 playing against 5s, and even playing the right unit in rock/paper/scissor has me losing. Opening up a Magic chest that should be popped in the morning, might have better luck after getting a few upgrades, even if they're only Arena 1.

What are the rock paper scissor set ups?

Can't seem to get some of them

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
IMO for now we should be wary about kicking people and focus more on starting new clans. There are no Clan Wars or Task Forces ATM so having inactive members doesn't really hurt anybody.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Putty posted:

IMO for now we should be wary about kicking people and focus more on starting new clans. There are no Clan Wars or Task Forces ATM so having inactive members doesn't really hurt anybody.

Less donations and less opportunity to donate.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
I have 60 gems, so I'll starts Spergs Royale when I hit rank 3.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Please don't kick me but I got a super magic chest...

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

WHERE THE gently caress IS MY BOOM BEACH OP UPDATE, GUH

This looks awesome.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is there any upside to playing with full chests besides the love of the game?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Virtue posted:

Is there any upside to playing with full chests besides the love of the game?

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Hitting a new arena for more card unlocks is also good. but if you're struggling hard for wins, maybe start waiting for a chest or two.