Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Medullah posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an Echo compatible smart thermostat?

In other news, in a couple weeks Nest Thermostats will be able to work natively with all your Alexa devices.

https://nest.com/blog/2016/03/03/nest-and-alexa-working-together/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Endless Mike posted:

That still seems like something that should be on the regular Echo with a software update, at most.
Probably gonna get a Dot.

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I bought a Dot because I've been dying for Alexa for the bedroom. I'm actually going to move Alexa to the bedroom and connect the Dot to the sitting-room speakers, giving higher sound quality there.

e: Of course I'm on a first-name basis with Alexa. We're friends.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I bought a Dot because I've been dying for Alexa for the bedroom. I'm actually going to move Alexa to the bedroom and connect the Dot to the sitting-room speakers, giving higher sound quality there.

e: Of course I'm on a first-name basis with Alexa. We're friends.

Well I should hope you're friends if you're moving things to the bedroom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, mine is in the bedroom, but I've wanted one in the kitchen, so that's where the Dot will go. I think.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
What happens if two Echos are able to hear your commands? Will they both start playing music if I ask and they can both hear me?

I just ordered the Dot too, and I'm thinking about where to move it and my current Echo so that they're not conflicting with each other.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

beerinator posted:

What happens if two Echos are able to hear your commands? Will they both start playing music if I ask and they can both hear me?

I just ordered the Dot too, and I'm thinking about where to move it and my current Echo so that they're not conflicting with each other.

You can change the trigger word. Have one be Alexa and the other Amazon.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

jabro posted:

You can change the trigger word. Have one be Alexa and the other Amazon.

Just be careful or you might come home to have them fighting over you

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Pretty big news.

quote:

Last month, Ecobee3 became the first smart thermostat compatible with Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant. Now, along with the announcement of the new Amazon Tap and Echo Dot, Amazon has revealed that Alexa will gain compatibility with Nest and Honeywell thermostats later this month. It’s been possible to control smart thermostats like the Nest with the Amazon Echo and Fire TV indirectly through an IFTTT recipe for some time, but the method has always been missing key components to make it a viable solution. With built-in support added by Amazon, you’ll soon be able to control most aspects of these smart thermostats with your voice.

http://www.aftvnews.com/alexa-will-be-able-to-control-nest-and-honeywell-thermostats-this-month/

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I kinda think I want a Dot, we find ourselves yelling from the bedroom to turn lights on and off as well as the compatibility with Nest being something I can see being great with that.

It's funny how common my interactions with Alexa have become in daily life. I think this is the thing that really makes my connected home feel smart.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Next give me native Sonos integration. Pretty please?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

mikemil828 posted:

In other news, in a couple weeks Nest Thermostats will be able to work natively with all your Alexa devices.

https://nest.com/blog/2016/03/03/nest-and-alexa-working-together/

Jesus, about time.

Now make it a goddamned speaker phone Amazon!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got the Sensi thermostat which is pretty good if you just want a thermostat you can control remotely and it's a lot cheaper than the Nest and EcoBee.

Anyway I just got an email from them saying it now works with the Echo...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The dot is really cool and I preordered one, BUT the people they are using in the advertising are making me pretty cross. 100% hipster millenials. I guess that's the main demo.

I mean, I'm a milennial too like most here, but my day doesn't revolve around me getting up, moving through my house with dots, going into my garage where I have my hip claymaking setup, and then having a movie question faceoff with the girlfriend (ok maybe the last one but still).

Pretty sure I saw a guy with rainbow-tinted Kanye glasses casually tucked into his jean shirt. gently caress.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Jesus, about time.

Now make it a goddamned speaker phone Amazon!

You can sync your phone by Bluetooth and just push the speaker button?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BigFactory posted:

You can sync your phone by Bluetooth and just push the speaker button?

Here's what I mean. When I get a call, I want Alexa to tell me that there is an incoming call (and who if caller ID is in play) or a ringtone. Ask me if I want to take the call. Hands free from start to finish.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had never even considered that and now I want it.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

There's something about ordering a Dot through my Echo that makes it seem like I'm ceding some autonomy over my place.

"Uh, sure, order the Dot--"

"BEGIN THE TAKEOVER. Er, just kidding, here's your newsflash for today--"

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

beefnoodle posted:

I think this thing replaces my Sonos. A Spotify integrated Dot connected with the 3.5 jack to an amp is going to be awesome compared to my current Sonos setup.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Here's what I mean. When I get a call, I want Alexa to tell me that there is an incoming call (and who if caller ID is in play) or a ringtone. Ask me if I want to take the call. Hands free from start to finish.

So how's single life treating you?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BigFactory posted:

So how's single life treating you?

Celebrated my 14th wedding anniversary in December. And my second son just turned one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Celebrated my 14th wedding anniversary in December. And my second son just turned one.

So who would get ownership of the echo speakerphone functionality? Even if you can pair multiply phones, which Echo can't do now, it would just be like very publicly sharing a land line. Add a third phone into the mix and it's a mess.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BigFactory posted:

So who would get ownership of the echo speakerphone functionality? Even if you can pair multiply phones, which Echo can't do now, it would just be like very publicly sharing a land line. Add a third phone into the mix and it's a mess.

I'm not sure what you are saying. If you could do multiple phones, the Echo could say, "There is an incoming call on Mr. Funny Pants phone..." or, "There is an incoming call on Mrs. Funny Pants phone..." If my wife didn't want me to hear, she could simply pick up her phone and take the call, just the same as she can already do. For outgoing calls, "Alexa, dial Mrs. Funny Pants' work number from Mr. Funny Pants' phone." It wouldn't preclude the ability to use your phone as you do now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm not sure what you are saying. If you could do multiple phones, the Echo could say, "There is an incoming call on Mr. Funny Pants phone..." or, "There is an incoming call on Mrs. Funny Pants phone..." If my wife didn't want me to hear, she could simply pick up her phone and take the call, just the same as she can already do. For outgoing calls, "Alexa, dial Mrs. Funny Pants' work number from Mr. Funny Pants' phone." It wouldn't preclude the ability to use your phone as you do now.

That seems super cumbersome to me.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

KS posted:

I think this thing replaces my Sonos. A Spotify integrated Dot connected with the 3.5 jack to an amp is going to be awesome compared to my current Sonos setup.

Cool - I'm too invested in multi-room Sonos to do that, it would have been a nice place to start instead!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BigFactory posted:

That seems super cumbersome to me.

If I'm loading the dishwasher while my older son is complaining about his iPad's battery being dead and my one year old is screaming for more food while my dog is getting into something she shouldn't....

I can't see how getting up and finding my phone is more cumbersome than, "Alexa take call," or, "Alexa, call Mama Julianne's pizza."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

"Alexa, call Mama Julianne's pizza."

With how weird alexa is about what she hears sometimes, that could be dangerous.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If I'm loading the dishwasher while my older son is complaining about his iPad's battery being dead and my one year old is screaming for more food while my dog is getting into something she shouldn't....

At least in my kitchen, Alexa won't be able to hear you.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Neither could the person calling you.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BigFactory posted:

With how weird alexa is about what she hears sometimes, that could be dangerous.

Kind of related but one of the things I suggested to the Echo team was the ability to set presets in services like iHeartRadio and TuneIn where you could go 'Alexa, play TuneIn preset 3' and it would play whatever radio channel you had tied to that number.

If they ever add the ability to control a phone, that would be also be a good idea. Where it can only call user set presets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, when are they going to use the tech in the dash buttons to replace my doorbells and have Alexa announce visitors?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Works fine in mine. You have to speak louder if there's some commotion obviously, but we use it all the time from there and it's about 20 feet from the oven.

BigFactory posted:

Neither could the person calling you.

Hence the ability to not take the call. Which is exactly what I currently do if I hear my cell ringing and am herding the cats. If you really don't want to be bothered, you could even have a command like, "Alexa, set phone 'away'," that would automatically route calls to voicemail.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

bull3964 posted:

So, when are they going to use the tech in the dash buttons to replace my doorbells and have Alexa announce visitors?

I have a wireless doorbell already, but would definitely buy let Alexa buy that.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Alexa: buy me a new, better house.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have a buzzer on our condo front door and I don't deny I would use "Alexa, open the door."

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I was just gifted an Echo and its pretty amazing already. Honestly worth keeping around just for hands free music control and unit conversion when cooking, everything else is gravy at this point. I could see setting up a few Dots eventually around the house. My wife doesn't trust it one bit though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sirbeefalot posted:

I was just gifted an Echo and its pretty amazing already. Honestly worth keeping around just for hands free music control and unit conversion when cooking, everything else is gravy at this point. I could see setting up a few Dots eventually around the house. My wife doesn't trust it one bit though.

Tell her that it listens for the wake word locally and only uploads to the cloud when it detects the wake word. Plus you can listen to any recording it makes online and delete them from Amazon's servers.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Call Me Charlie posted:

Plus you can listen to any recording it makes online and delete them from Amazon's servers.

Awesome, I never knew that!

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

beefnoodle posted:

Based on what the CEO of Sonos is saying in this blog they seem at least interested in Alexa so maybe Sonos integration might not be too far off?

http://blog.sonos.com/news/industry-in-transition-invest-in-future

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Cool, thanks for that link. (And tangentially, I'm worried about what he seems to be implying about leaving those of us with large ripped collections behind - the 64k track limit is already bad enough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ugh, I guess the Dot is successful so far. I just tried to order one and the estimated ship date is mid-June. :barf: