Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

LordHippoman posted:

: I hope you stay in the town for a long time.

As someone pointed out earlier, Godwin’s similar look to Dracula makes this sound pretty shady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35dUj5kG90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Oh, some images were out of order in the library part. I fixed those, my bad.

KataraniSword posted:

Don't try to do magic in RF1. It's not worth it.

I'll get into this in more detail later (Although you pretty much covered it there just fine.) but yeah, magic is not great. Heal can be pretty handy (I'm pretty sure you can count the number of games where heal spells are bad on one hand), but otherwise I usually ignore it. I'll show off some of the other spells though, just for LP purposes.

If I could embed audio clips I'd be sorely tempted.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I get the feeling mysterious anime wasting disease used to be tuberculosis, and after TB ceased to be an issue in actual public health people just kept it around as a literary device.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Tarezax posted:

I get the feeling mysterious anime wasting disease used to be tuberculosis, and after TB ceased to be an issue in actual public health people just kept it around as a literary device.
No kidding, japanese writers just seems to loving love including someone dying from some wasting disease or two in their plots.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So as far as romanceable characters go, we have the nerd, the sick girl, the spooky ghost/cage-neck-:wtc: girl, the "vanilla" girl (Mist), the shopkeeper, and the kid-that-means-you're-a-pedophile.

I'm getting some flashbacks to Azure Dreams here.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Sylphosaurus posted:

No kidding, japanese writers just seems to loving love including someone dying from some wasting disease or two in their plots.

Don't worry, we will be exploring the implications of the Arcane Alzheimers later. It's dumb, but like, charmingly dumb.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So as far as romanceable characters go, we have the nerd, the sick girl, the spooky ghost/cage-neck-:wtc: girl, the "vanilla" girl (Mist), the shopkeeper, and the kid-that-means-you're-a-pedophile.

I'm getting some flashbacks to Azure Dreams here.

We thankfully cannot romance the literal child. We can just give her rocks we find on the ground until she thinks we're cool.

There's also a few characters we haven't met, and one that's like goddamn impossible to run into and literally impossible to marry now because Wi Fi shenanigans.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The idea that cage-neck-girl has some secret farm she's maintaining in order to get passes from the mayor is kind of hilarious.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 5: So, You’re Living On Mist’s Farm?

No time for an intro we’re going to Jasper’s pad oh boy

Bianca you wear the same thing for this entire game.

Since you can’t really hear it through “dcapture_163.png” I should let you know, Tabatha has a really thick accent. I don’t know what it is. I think it’s Scottish, but I’m a dumb American so like it could be anything.

: He he! I know you’re from the countryside, but you’ve been a maid here for many years.

Don’t go to the South Side of Kardia. That’s where Donnel lives.

: Daddy praised me on my fashion sense!

I know I should be using the portraits here but no you’re all gonna see full size Jasper.

: No! They look so good on you!

: He he!

: Ma’am, aren’t you going to change your clothes?

Bianca is quick and nimble when she needs to be. (i’m sorry)

: Got it.

: Ah, you’re the one that came to Mist’s farm, eh? It’s nice to make your acquaintance.

: And yours too.

Good to know.

: I’ll say this now. If you want to talk seriously with me, you better clean your act up. Got it?

: Er, yeah.

Ironically Bianca is probably the least complicated character to gain relationship points with in the game. You just have to talk to her a lot.

Dammit Donnel you dumb hillbilly.

: Okay, Jasper it is.

: I’m the richest person in this town and I’m also a gastronomist!

This is my favorite “My name is Donnel.”

: Hmm, I see. By the way, do you know where I can get hold of some tasty food? I’m always in search of new flavors.

I talked to him again, just because it’s Jasper.

It was worth it. By the way, there’s sort of an out of the way secret here in Jasper’s house. It’s time to steal from our new friends.

It’s hard to tell, but this is a door.

It leads to a basement. And if you check out those boxes…

I don’t know what he’s referring to. This might be a sequence break.

Oh poo poo it’s the fuzz.

: You know about it?

: It’s some kind of bottle for putting medicine in. I wonder what it’s doing here. It’s in the way, so just take it.

Well, we’ve gotten an Empty Bottle now. You can take this to Edward, he’ll make medicine if you provide him with some ingredients. It restores a pretty good amount of HP. Not as versatile as some other video game bottles, but helpful all the same.

Speaking of Edward, let’s go to his son’s farm.

: Okay, I got it. You’re saying I’m naive!

: A man sees something through to the end before speaking of his dreams.

And then he leaves and Donnel feels very awkward.

Oh hey, I found Camus! 5 updates and we’ve made more progress than in the last LP I did.

: My name’s Donnel, nice to meet you!

: Oh, you’re the one Mist got her clutches in.

: Uh...yeah…

: She’s a real character, isn’t she? Don’t worry, she’s not that bad once you get used to her.

: Okay…

This guy read my map.

: Okay.

This is an important thing.

There are no “animals” in this game, just monsters.

We’ll be able to tame them in a very silly and ridiculous way with an item we get later. Some monsters can accompany us in combat, others will help out on the farm, others produce eggs and milk and such.

: Your farm can hold up to seven monster huts, Donnel. And each hut can house up to four monsters. If that’s still not enough, you can build room underneath the huts. You can build up to two underground floors per hut. You’ll probably have a hard time getting that many monsters, though.

So, quick Math Break, 7 * 4 * 3= 84 Monsters at max capacity. That’s more than enough for one of everything. Which is good. Also, one potential wife requires you to have 50 monsters, which takes forever.

I already tutorialed that Camus.

Much more reasonable than Neumann’s highway robbery. Still, these are less useful and you’ll want to make more than one.

Now for another helpful character.

This is Sword Leo’s Smithery. We’ll need to come here to upgrade our tools. It’s useful.

He doesn’t wanna a hoe.

: A sword, aye? So...what kin’ of sword ya want?

: A sword like...like Grimoire’s sword.

: Grimoire’s sword!? Well, it ‘taint easy to git ‘old of, and even if ya did, ya wouldn’t know what to do wit’ it, aye?

Camus is king of typos today.

Nobody likes Camus.

: What? What did ya say?

: Nothing, I’m off.

: Hmm, come over here if ya ever need a hoe or sword forgin’ aye?

Or an axe, or a watering can, or a fishing rod...Leo’s versatile.

: Thanks, I will.

Leo also sells lots of weapons. The stats are on the top screen, but I cut them out because I’m a gently caress up I didn’t want to overload you with information! We’ll look at them later, but, suffice to say, that first weapon, the Broadsword, is already far better than our current best weapon...the Hoe.

We can actually go into the Seaside Shack now.

: So what are you doin’ here?

: Ha ha ha! Just killing time.

: I can’t idle about like you. You’re gettin in the way of my business! Get outta here!

: You never change, eh? Okay, I’m going, I’m going.

: Yes, Nicholas. If I miss work, I’ll get in trouble with your mom!

: But, I wanted to go and play at the beach!

: We’ll do that next time. Come over to my place when I don’t have work.

: Yay!

Sabrina sells...uh...food and a squid. And a turtle shell. There’s not much of importance here. But...

I could have done this on Day 1 too, but I forgot. Whoops. If you go to the end of the dock here…

: Do you have a rod?

: No, not yet.

: That’s okay. You’re welcome to use one of my old models.

: Really?

: Sure! Here you go!

: Thank you!

Oh...good. Alright, so, fishing!

Fishing works how fishing has worked in almost every video game since the beginning of time. You cast the lure. When it starts wiggling, you hit B again. The timing is, thankfully, super generous, if you’re like me and playing with some lag issues or a lovely B button.

Donnel triumphantly hoists the Sardine over his head.

I went fishing for a few hours (ingame time) here and caught about...6 or 7 sardines. We’ll be able to get better fish with a better rod, or fishing in different spots.

Selling them to Sabrina, you can see that the Sardines have wildly varying prices. That’s because each fish has a “level”. The base price for a Sardine is 20G, but it gets multiplied by its level. More fishing skill, better chances for high level fish.

The whole catch came out to 300 G here. Not too bad for some spare change between harvests.

I figured that, with our new money, we’d get some new seeds. To PARTS!

This weirdo is here.

: So you came to hear of my heroic exploits?

Why do people keep doing that?

Okay this was a mistimed screenshot but it was far too good for me to want to fix it. Just assume this is the dialog.

(he was supposed to say “details”)

: Get outta here!

: Okay! I’m going!

Well, that was enough innuendo for one update.

I lied.

: I have an old one you can have!

Once you’ve plowed a small amount of squares on your farm, Rosetta will give you this. This destroys weeds in one hit, but has another use we won’t need for a while.

: This should help you cut the weeds more easily!

Handy! But not what we came for.

Jean carries all sorts of seeds for each season. These are Turnips, which would be apparent had I not gotten crop happy.

I put them right next to the other batch.

And now I wait outside the baths for several hours.

There we go!

Why is there a wizard here?

: Ho ho ho!

: Hey, Donnel. The bathhouse is open every day, come and have a soak anytime you like.

I didn’t agree yet.

Wait what I didn’t say this was okay.

YOU ALREADY PAID, DONNEL.

Well, might as well.

Donnel you’re still standing outside the bath.

Well, it refilled all our RP. That’s nice.

I spent the rest of the day plowing. Gotta reach Godwin’s 100 square goal, after all.

Mist why are you in our house?

She does this.

That’s enough for one day. We’ve met basically the whole town by now (One or two characters remained undiscovered.), so we’ll get into the main flow of the game next time.

I’ll also go get that thing I forgot to get from Bianca. My bad.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Great, now how many spaces of the field do we have to plow before we unlock the concept of "personal space"?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Glazius posted:

Great, now how many spaces of the field do we have to plow before we unlock the concept of "personal space"?

hahahahahaha, you're funny. I like you.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

Oh, you’re the one Mist got her clutches in.

How is this not the thread title?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Those are some freakishly long arms :stare:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

sheep-dodger posted:

How is this not the thread title?

Sadly people stop saying it after this update. Rune Factory 1 is kind of a janky game sometimes, because pretty much every character for these last few updates has had the same lines. Also:

theshim posted:

Those are some freakishly long arms :stare:

That.

I still like it though, despite a couple really baffling design decisions (For those who have played this, yes, I am talking about that one lake cave.) Updates might be more spread out now because we're out of the "everyone just saying the same thing" part. (it has nothing to do with some other games that may have come out recently that's nonsense)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

LordHippoman posted:

(it has nothing to do with some other games that may have come out recently that's nonsense)

Games like Tom Clancy's Stardew Valley: Primal?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Games like Tom Clancy's Stardew Valley: Primal?

Stardew Fates: Revelations Explorers: Prepare To Die Edition, actually. Though I hear that one's good.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 6: Getting The Boot

It’s time for some more Rune Factory. Today we’ll be watching an uninterrupted, single day in the life of fledgling farmer/victim of some sort of real estate scam, Donnel.

Back at the ol’ house.

The first crop there is progressing nicely, as you can see by them sprouting up. If you miss a single day of watering, everything dies. This is a bad mechanic but we’re gonna have to deal with it.

We have so many seeds now that watering takes two trips!

With that done, though, it’s time to make some money to save up for a sword. We won’t last long in Carmite Cave with our lovely Hoe.

Fishing again, this time out by the ruins. You get different fish in different places, I kept getting Cherry Salmon here as opposed to the flood of Sardines last time.

LIke this!

Also this. gently caress.

...Say...Sharron…

It was worth a shot.

Cool thanks crazy ghost.

A few hours later we have a nice bunch of fish out of this. This is also probably a good time to show off what some of the poo poo we found around the farm does.

10 HP is a tenth of our current, AKA jack poo poo. There’s a better use for these, though.

These are a bit more useful raw, curing Poison, which is an annoying status condition.

Here’s a better example of the Fish being leveled thing. Since this one is 17, it’s 10x17, 170G if we sell it.

Also I guess I missed a Sardine last time. And no, fish of the same type/level don’t stack, but you have so much inventory it’s not really a big deal.

I totally forgot whether or not this little dip west of your house is a fishable spot or not. Turns out, yes!

gently caress

Okay, hold on.

So, back to business. I forgot something at my favorite place, Jasper’s House.

:allears:

We’re just tanking Kardia’s property values.

: What?

: You’ll need wood to make improvements. Got an axe?

: Er… no, I don’t.

No she’s not.

Yeah, she was over there. Bianca, are you okay?

To the Jasper armory!

: As you so desire, Ma’am.

: I’m gonna give you this, so you better work hard! Make the house nice, eh?

This is going to be pretty crucial.

…”Too”? There were others?

Tabatha’s cool. I like Tabatha.

:allears: :allears:

Time to sell some fish.

490, not the best, but it’ll do for what I want to pick up next.

Gonna visit the Inn first, though, just to see what’s up.

There’s really almost no purpose in going to the Inn, ever, unless you really want to bother Ann here or meet a certain character.

Speaking of that.

: Oh!

: My name’s Mei. Don’t forget it!

: Mei. Okay got it.

: You’re so rude!

What did we do?

: So rude to your elders and those better!

: What? You’re older than me?

: I may look young, but I’m quite a bit older than you!

: Is that so?

: Why would I lie to you?

Well. Uh. That’s Mei.

We’ve met every potential marriageable character in the game now, I’ll find a way to like, set up a poll for that soon.

Yeah, I know Lynette is a potential wife post-game, but I don’t want to drag out the LP super long to farm friendship with EVERYONE after all of that. I will mention it, though.

Over at PARTS, here’s the last villager we haven’t technically met.

: You too. Are you thinking of settling down in this town?

: Well, who knows what tomorrow’s gonna bring. I could be here a while though.

Why is there a hole in his poet staff

: But there are too many pretty girls in other countries too.

: Oh, really?

Donnel is unaware of the concept of “other countries”.

When Donnel returns a strange beast seems to have laid an egg on his farm.

Oh, no, just a “Bamboo Sprout”.

I’m trying to snag 3 Medicinal Herbs for something here.

Now that I’ve got them, we’re off to the doctor’s office.

This is about all Lara will ever say.

Edward can make one type of potion. Remember that bottle from Jasper’s basement? This is its one use.

: First I’ll need three “medicinal herbs” and 400g. Is that okay?

Goodbye, fish money. :smith:

Edward also sells some medicines and stuff, but it’s pretty expensive, and we won’t need it yet.

The Recovery Potion takes the piddly 10 HP a piece from the Medicinal Herbs and gives you a much more sizable 150, AKA way more than we even have HP.

Back to fishing, though, because we should probably deal with that whole “weapon” issue.

A good sign.

The Ruins seem to have better selling fish, so I’m staying there.

The lighting changes when it hits 3:00 PM. This is a pretty nice effect, usually. Except here, where it looks like the lake has filled with urine.

Also here’s the only non-Cherry Salmon I caught.

Back to the house…Mist is waiting. Always.

: I brought you a present. I’m afraid it’s radish seeds again.

: Oh, thank you very much.

Mist, you already explained this.

And she already explained that.

: I explained this before, but the key to life on the farm is to earn money here.

I don’t think she sees Donnel’s pockets absolutely BULGING with fish.

: Okay, I got it.

: Don’t forget to water your crops once a day. Nothing will grow if you don’t.

Goodbye, Mist.

Welcome back, Mist.

Goodbye, Mist.

Also vaguely threatening.

Welp, let’s get these new seeds in.

I am becoming a master of watering.

Also, since I’m out of RP, you can see that Donnel’s HP is starting to be depleted instead. Nothing can go wrong.

The Pub is closer than Sabrina’s shack, so I sold the second batch of Fish there. Also the Bamboo Sprouts.

That’s a much better haul.

Oh and also the bamboo.

I also bought a congratulatory popcorn.

Off to Leo’s now, for the real reward.

This is a voice acted line and I love it.

Cheapest weapon here, but still very usable and extremely viable for this point in the game.

Taking a few practice swings.

The Broadsword has a combo level of 3, which just means it’s a three hit combo.

It’s late enough to go to the bath, so

OH GOD DONNEL’S GONE MAD WITH POWER. (I hit the wrong button)

Chill out, Donnel. You’ll feel better. Freshly cleaned, now back to the most eligible bachelor in town.

Well thanks, Leo.

Spending the rest of the night doing fieldwork, I should show off how the Axe works.

You hit a log with it and Wood is automatically added to your storage. No need to lug it around, which is nice.

The Hoeing continues.

So does the Axeing. Look, Donnel has perfect stamina. There’s nothing wrong with this.

Nothing. Wrong.

Well poo poo.

Next time, we mourn Donnel.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Donnel requests that he be buried with his money and hoe(s).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yep, that's how I end about 50% of my days in this game.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I've only played RF4, did they keep the 'automatically add stone/wood to your storage' in the other two games? That would have been convenient as hell when going on mining expeditions.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Geomancing posted:

I've only played RF4, did they keep the 'automatically add stone/wood to your storage' in the other two games? That would have been convenient as hell when going on mining expeditions.

In RF3 stones and boulders pretty much only serve as mining skill training. Wood you need to pick up and store in your shed manually which can get annoying.
Though in the grand scheme of things you don't need tons of wood either because the home upgrades that need it are very finite in number.

theshim
May 1, 2012

:rip:

C'mon, Donny.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Geomancing posted:

At least in 4 you could get an extra stockpile and dump it somewhere where you mine/chop a lot (I like to store mine in the Autumn field).

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Oh man, I played the hell outta this game when it came out. I broke it over my knee right quick... in till I realized that I had to wait in till winter while on the 2nd week of spring, good times.

Are you going to do that or play more casually?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

McGwee posted:

Oh man, I played the hell outta this game when it came out. I broke it over my knee right quick... in till I realized that I had to wait in till winter while on the 2nd week of spring, good times.

Are you going to do that or play more casually?

Pretty casual playthrough here. You can totally rush through the first few dungeons if you get good with the combat and carry lots of food, but I'm pretty bad at this game and I want to sorta keep the lazy pace, show off the farming and the holidays, etc. I'll probably still get to that one bit you mentioned before winter, but hey, that's time to farm wood for the house upgrade.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Here I figured you'd go dance with monsters and get your poo poo pushed in that way, but I suppose you died doing something more important for plot progression.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 7: Carmite Cave Commences

Welcome back. Last time Donnel was so into farm maintenance that he collapsed.

Thankfully he is not dead.

When you run out of HP in the Overworld, you wake up the next day at Edward's at 10:00 AM. There are really no consequences other than that, so honestly sometimes it's a good time-saving strategy to just work yourself to death.

: It's okay to collapse outside, but collapsing in a cave is risking your life.

I refuse.

So hey we’ve got a full HP and RP bar. Collapsing is a pretty sweet deal.

Back to the ol’ watering grind. It’s becoming a little time consuming, so it’s nice that the first can upgrade will be available soon.

It also cuts into my RP like a motherfucker.

Now, I noticed that PARTS sells some “Special Items”, and I was curious as to what they were, so I dropped by there next.

I just fainted at like 1:00 AM and a doctor yelled at me, it’s great.

I think this is pretty much all Jean says. No wonder Rosetta has to do most of the work.

Oh, these are the Special Items. Accessories (Or as this game calls them, “Decor”) work like armor in this game, giving you some defense and stat bonuses. These are all way too expensive for Donnel right now, and they aren’t very good anyway.

Donnel also visits the library in an attempt to learn. This will go poorly.

Who is Mr. Shield? Can we meet Mr. Shield? I would take Mr. Shield over like half the NPCs in this game.

Russell’s books are how you get crafting recipes in this game. His stock changes every day, but it’s useless for us for now because not only do we need to buy the proper tools for the house from Ivan, but we also need to upgrade the house for most of them, which is still miles away. Also they’re expensive as hell right now, while our main income is still Sardines.

Time to actually progress the plot with a truly baffling conversation. I’m leaving this in screenshots so you can see just how baffling.

Okay, so, is it just me, or are there like 3 places in that conversation where it looks like a line was skipped, or switched around or something? Like I said, the RF1 translation is...not the best.

: I issued you a pass to the caves, but take care. If you don’t have a sword, I recommend you buy one at Leo’s shop first before entering the caves.

Way ahead of you.

A quick return trip to PARTS to buy Cucumber Seeds, and we’re ready to depart for Carmite.

Well, almost. Let’s barge in on Mist’s house first. See how she likes it.

Uh.

Uh.

Well see ya.

Donnel is not ready for romance. He’d rather go risk his life in this cave.

Welcome to Carmite.

Okay, Mist’s a ghost, I’m calling it now. There’s no way she’s that stealthy normally.

Donnel is remarkably nonchalant about it though.

: By the way, I didn’t tell you. There are monsters living in the cave. Be careful!

: Uh, okay. Thank you. Is that what you came to tell me?

: Yeah. I was worried about you.

: Thank you. By the way, what’s that funny shaped thing?

: I’ve never seen it before either. I wonder what it is. It looks kind of scary.

: It looks like it’s where the monsters come out.

Look, just make your own joke.

I’m not sure why Mist decides to go parenthetical here but I mean okay.

: Well, I’ll look into it.

: Okay. Be careful!

: Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.

Mist is here to explain to us the concept of mortality.

This is easily my biggest design gripe with Rune Factory 1. Swinging your sword gradually kills you. And the combat is pretty button mashy. I get why they did it, but I’m really not a fan, and I’m glad newer games in this style (Stardew Valley.) change it.

: Got it. I’ll be careful.

: Okay, I’m outta here.

She does the “Walk off screen and come back” gag again.

: Oh, I forgot. I wanted to give you this spellbook.

: Spellbook?

I missed him doing that.

“Orb” is a verb, let it be known.

: It will bring you back to the entrance of the cave. That’s right on this spot.

Okay, so this is what I said Teleport did. I guess I forgot what Teleport does. I’ll test it out later.

We’ve had that X icon next to the B one for ages, but nothing to do with it. Here you go.

: Remember, using magic will deplete your RP, unless you cast Escape, which doesn’t use any RP. Wow, that’s sweet! Alright, see ya.

She’s really gone this time.

Anyway, here’s the first area in Carmite. That’s the same enemy we ran into at the start of the game.

When you slash at things, the enemy’s numbers come up in red text, yours in white. It’s kinda hard to see what’s going on in screens, but it’s hard in game as well, so there’s not a ton I can do about that, sorry.

Basically, those big metal things are monster spawners. If you kill the monster while the spawner is still up, it will spit out a new one, so ideally you want the spawner destroyed before you kill the guard. Really the biggest issue, though, is the hitboxes being very sketchy on a lot of these enemies. You have to have them front and center, the sword’s arc doesn’t really count for poo poo.

You can see how low my HP and RP are already. Carmite Cave is actually a pretty tough dungeon, I think it’s one of the harder ones in the came because of just how little equipment you have. Also I’m bad at this game.

Off to the left, some fields! And Zavier.

We never formally introduced ourselves to him, just spied on him a couple times.

: Oh, no, no. I’m not the one that made the move. She…

: Mist made a move on you? No way! My Mist would never do anything like that!

You’re weird, Zavier.

: But that’s what happened…

: Mist...why? Why him? *Sigh* No, this must be some kind of mistake.

I refer you to the previous “Uh”’s in this update.

Well, he seems remarkably more chipper now that I talked to him again.

Well, might as well cover these. They’re important mechanics.

Mysterious Noise

: Listen. If you ever hear a weird beeping kind of noise in a cave, you’d better watch out. That’s a sound you start to hear when your HP gets low. Sometimes while exploring and digging you might let your HP drop down to zero before you notice.

I really like that line.

: So watch out for that beeping noise!

Fields In Caves

: When it comes to exploring caves, the most important thing is the ground.

: How come the ground is so important?

: Ugh. Don’t you know anything? Listen, whether we’re using swords or hoes, we lose RP. In other word(sic), rune points. When you run out of RP, you can’t use magic. You can use a sword, but when you use one without RP, you start losing HP. In caves, running out of HP means death, you know.

The game really tutorials hard at you here. I wouldn’t mind if it wasn’t so much repeat information. This is like the third person to tell us this.

: So you have to think about replenishing your RP as you go along. That’s why fields are so important. Are you with me? Runes are a crystallized form of the power of the earth.

Oh poo poo OP was wrong there are Runes in this game. Whoops.

: And the power of the earth grows crops. In my experience, you can get one rune for every nine crops you have. If you take the runes, they’ll be gone for the time being, but there’ll be more the next morning. So if you plow fields and grow crops here and there inside caves, you can replenish your RP at each place.

So, Runes. Runes are little floaty blue balls that show up after you’ve grown 9 crops (a single seed packet) in a cave. They’ll keep respawning as long as the crops are there. This is a good way to restore RP in dungeons, as touching a rune gives you an instant boost. However, it takes a while to grow crops, and some people just ignore this mechanic entirely, just bringing alot of food along for RP instead. I can’t say I disagree with them. But I’ll show it off, because it’s clearly meant to be a pretty core mechanic.

Now then.

Much better. The Cucumbers from earlier are all set.

Luckily there’s a river right here where you can refill your can.

Now I should probably leave, but…

Across the bridge is one more enemy type.

This is the Orc Archer. They have less HP and Attack than their melee counterparts, but they can shoot from a range with these slow moving projectiles. They’re not really a huge threat.

They can also only aim in 8 directions. Sucks to be an Orc Archer.

A single 3 hit combo does the trick.

Swordsmanship skill goes up when you hit things with your weapon, and reduces the RP/HP cost of attacking. It’s a pretty important thing to raise.

Now it’s time to actually get out of here.

Camus reveals that Kardian Gossip is just the most boring poo poo.

I headed to the baths, but Melody wasn’t at the counter. So, surely, Donnel can just…

Dammit, Donnel.

And now she’s here? I wish I had screencapped that, it was weird.

Now rejuvenated, it’s back to the J A S P E R Z O N E.

It’s not Jasper we’re interested in today, though.

: If you get along with the monsters in the caves, you can become friends with them! If you have this friendship glove, you can become friends.

Yes, the monster recruitment tactic in this game is just AGGRESSIVELY RUBBING THEM. It’s great.

: But be careful, you may be attacked before you win the monster over.

Monsters will not stop trying to kill you while you rub them.

I love Donnel’s expression here. Even he thinks this is a bit sketchy.

: The way to get along with something without speaking is through showing how you feel. Even if the monster hits you, you have to show it that you want to be friends.

: Okay, got it. You seem to know a lot about this, Tabatha!

Tabatha is secretly an Orc Archer in a dress.

: Yeah, well...I know…. Hehehe!

: Remember that and this important fact. You need a monster hut to get along with monsters.

The running theme of Rune Factory is Real Estate.

: Tell Mr. Camus, and he’ll build you a monster hut. No matter how much you use the friendship glove, you won’t befriend monsters without a monster hut.

Oh, right. I should get on that.

: I wonder what delicacies are in there? My stomach rumbles just thinking of it!

:allears:

Incredibly excited over the possibility of having my very own Orc Archer, Donnel begins to chop wood furiously.

Logging is also its own skill.

But there’s not enough wood here. I need more.

Back to Carmite!

Sadly, no wood here either. We can’t chop the stumps yet.

Instead I just tilled the rest of the soil. There’s a reason for this, and you’ll see later.

Anyway, I should probably cover this guy more in depth. This is the Orc. He’s a standard melee enemy, but he hits hard, for about 24 of Donnel’s 100 HP. The best way to deal with them is to try and dodge their swing, then combo them as they’re in the recovery animation.

Also, he seems to have dropped something…

Oh, great! Yeah, in addition to all the skills, Levels are also a thing. They’re sheerly combat based, though. Leveling up restores all your HP, which can be a lifesaver in a dungeon. Don’t count on it, though.

The Orc dropped a Cheap Cloth. This is a crafting material we won’t have any use for for a long time, but hey, nice to grab it.

I wonder what fish live in Carmite?

Oh. Shocker.

North of here we have some rocks. These are unbreakable for now, but keep them in mind.

I crossed the bridge to beat up on some more archers. These guys are my preferred grinding targets, because they’re just so easy to dodge.

Not that I don’t gently caress that up occasionally. That’s the 1 of a 13, not just 1 damage. They aren’t THAT pathetic.

Still pretty pathetic.

That’s what I wanted.

Well, maybe there will be more interesting fish over here?

Oh, that’s...a little better. The rest were just Cherry Salmon again.

Look upon my Salmon, ye mighty, and despair.

They’re pretty lovely Salmon too. This was the highlight. I had a level 17 one last update.

Well, that’s enough Carmite Cave for now.

Donnel’s adventures will resume after he sleeps away all his fishing and swording wounds.

But your contribution adventure can begin RIGHT NOW!

Submit any names you like for:
Orcs
Orc Archers
Bees (we haven't seen it yet but I trust you know what a bee looks like)

And I'll take them into consideration for when I start taming monsters.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 18, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I thought Zavier told you about another silly skill you can level up. Sleeping. I guess that telling you DON'T LOSE ALL YOUR HP IN THE CAVES OR YOU'LL DIE for the third time was more important.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I thought Zavier told you about another silly skill you can level up. Sleeping. I guess that telling you DON'T LOSE ALL YOUR HP IN THE CAVES OR YOU'LL DIE for the third time was more important.

He'll tell you that After you make a little more progress in Carmite and he gives you the sleeping bag.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Apologies if you explained it earlier and I missed it, but what on earth are "Expirty" and "Period"?

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I couldn't begin to tell you what Period denotes, but Expirty is digestion time from what I remember.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Period is the number of days it takes a crop to grow. It's always 0 for cooked items because there's no popcorn bushes or spaghetti trees, which is bit of a shame.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the limiting factor in monsters is the number of monster hut spaces you have? You can always tame one if you have enough time and endurance?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

So the limiting factor in monsters is the number of monster hut spaces you have? You can always tame one if you have enough time and endurance?

Some monsters can't be tamed in the first game, I don't think - mostly bosses. And in the first game, most monsters are useless except as dungeon diving buddies. They don't get the ability to do your yardwork for you until I think the third game?

But yeah, if you want to fill every last monster hut with Orc Archers, go hog wild.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

KataraniSword posted:

Some monsters can't be tamed in the first game, I don't think - mostly bosses. And in the first game, most monsters are useless except as dungeon diving buddies. They don't get the ability to do your yardwork for you until I think the third game?

But yeah, if you want to fill every last monster hut with Orc Archers, go hog wild.

Pretty much this, yeah, as long as the monster doesn't murder you while you're trying, it's not a boss, and there may be a few edge cases I don't remember. Hearts will start to pop out if it's working.

Monsters in this one can water your crops and harvest for you, but they're really slow and bad at it, IIRC.

Speaking of monsters, I wanted to put this at the end of the update, but I forgot, I'll edit it in, they could use some names.

Orcs
Orc Archers
Bees (we haven't seen it yet but I trust you know what a bee looks like)

And I'll take them into consideration for when I start taming monsters.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's the name length limit?

I submit OhGod for the Bees. Also ImCoveredIn if there's enough room.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Orcs Mook e: & Dorc
Orc Archers Archie
Bees Killer

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 18, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's the name length limit?

I submit OhGod for the Bees. Also ImCoveredIn if there's enough room.

I'm gonna be totally honest, I forget exactly, but I think it's around 7? I'll confirm when I actually get access to recruiting monsters again.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Bees...? for Bees and Aragorn for Orc Archer (the irony).

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Suggesting MyGod for any bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'm gonna go with either Not the Bees or Doctor Bees.

• Locked thread