Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Renaissance Robot posted:

$60 per metre for the densest one :psylon:

Basically what I've got, gets sick compliments in every bike shop I've been in :coolspot:

Only gripe is the wire is kind of easy to knock off as it stands a few mm off the helmet (partly because I'm using the double bright wire that runs off 12v instead of the thin 3v stuff lightmode provide). I've looked into panel/ribbon and although it's way brighter it's comparatively a pain to work with, doesn't have as good colour reproduction (I guess because the filter is thinner while the element is brighter), and you can't bend it into :krad: contour following tron designs.

I could prototype a design in paper and then send a request to my supplier for a one-off custom cut panel (which is a thing they do) but :effort::retrogames:

Got a link to the stuff you bought for yours? Lightmodehelmets charge a stupid price compared to if you look at how much EL wire is online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Was there someone here who had plasti-dipped their helmet? I'm drooling over buying a new helmet, but 175 usd extra for graphics on a Schubert E1 /c3 pro is too loving much. I was thinking of some kinda combo with the reflective paint + neon yellow blaze fun.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm in touch with a guy with a Klim Traverse jacket in my size w/ armor he wants to sell me but he didn't name a price so I'm gonna put one out there? It's $330 on motorcycle superstore. I got my Badlands pants for about half the online sell price through local used sale, so going by that I should offer like $180. Seem fair?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keket posted:

Got a link to the stuff you bought for yours? Lightmodehelmets charge a stupid price compared to if you look at how much EL wire is online.

I used four metres of this stuff, so £24 worth. You could probably find it cheaper on alibaba or something; I haven't looked, and prefer supporting domestic business when I can in any case.

Bear in mind I also paid £9 for a decent driver (waterproof, no switches because the switched ones always break), and another £20 for a 12v lipo battery and wall wart charger, bringing the total to about the same as a lightmode kit. On the other hand, I don't need to constantly be buying AA batteries and my poo poo's like twice as bright, so

Also I have to keep the battery in my jacket pocket, linked to the driver (stuck to the helmet) by a 12v dc cable, which I don't mind at all but I'm aware a lot of riders are skeevy about their gear being tethered to anything because they think they'll forget and have an accident. (reviews of electric gloves are also rife with pearl clutching over this imagined issue) :rolleyes:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also consider the very cheapest el wire you can find online won't come with connectors or even fly leads, and the wire inside is fiddly as gently caress and a humongous pain in the rear end to work with. The site I linked has some tutorial videos that demonstrate this pretty well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I used four metres of this stuff, so £24 worth. You could probably find it cheaper on alibaba or something; I haven't looked, and prefer supporting domestic business when I can in any case.

Bear in mind I also paid £9 for a decent driver (waterproof, no switches because the switched ones always break), and another £20 for a 12v lipo battery and wall wart charger, bringing the total to about the same as a lightmode kit. On the other hand, I don't need to constantly be buying AA batteries and my poo poo's like twice as bright, so

Also I have to keep the battery in my jacket pocket, linked to the driver (stuck to the helmet) by a 12v dc cable, which I don't mind at all but I'm aware a lot of riders are skeevy about their gear being tethered to anything because they think they'll forget and have an accident. (reviews of electric gloves are also rife with pearl clutching over this imagined issue) :rolleyes:

This is awesome! Thanks for linking this--I just picked up a few meters for my helmet. I especially love that they have a waterproof/sand proof EL driver--that's perfect for the helmet. Much easier and less fiddly than arduinos.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Thus far my favorite thing to do with Lid Lights is to put it in RGB flash while running the Cycle Colors option on my lizard lights and blast down Wilshire Blvd like a fuckoff rainbow warrior

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Yesterday was payday, so I'm finally springing for a pair of Keis x800i heated gloves.

These arrived today. Preliminary thoughts: :perfect:

The fit is perfect, heat comes on quickly and evenly across the back of the hand and right down to the tips of all fingers, and the gloves are quite light in construction, not bulky at all. Levers/buttons/zippers are as easy to operate as when I'm wearing my stretched leather shorties.

The lack of wrist cinch is a minor gripe, but ultimately meaningless to me as I've never yet seen a single glove with a wrist strap short enough to match my tiny wrists.

Ride report to follow Thursday, weather permitting.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Also consider the very cheapest el wire you can find online won't come with connectors or even fly leads, and the wire inside is fiddly as gently caress and a humongous pain in the rear end to work with. The site I linked has some tutorial videos that demonstrate this pretty well.

I think this is why Lightmode charges what they do. It's a plug and play solution for people who don't care to gently caress with dumb fiddly crap to save a few bucks.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

These arrived today. Preliminary thoughts: :perfect:

The fit is perfect, heat comes on quickly and evenly across the back of the hand and right down to the tips of all fingers, and the gloves are quite light in construction, not bulky at all. Levers/buttons/zippers are as easy to operate as when I'm wearing my stretched leather shorties.

The lack of wrist cinch is a minor gripe, but ultimately meaningless to me as I've never yet seen a single glove with a wrist strap short enough to match my tiny wrists.

Ride report to follow Thursday, weather permitting.

Hot drat, heated gloves with actual armor? Looking forward to the ride report.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yesterday was payday, so I'm finally springing for a pair of Keis x800i heated gloves.

I've tried on their sister model the x900 in a medium, and they were just half a centimetre too long in all digits and a little bit fat, so I'm confident a small will fit well. The heating wasn't as strong or quick to spool up as I'd expected, but then these (and the ones I'm buying) were only the 1 amp 13 watt dual power version. Given how mild the weather is here I'm sure it'll be enough though. (The guy at the shop was really cool, when we couldn't find a good battery to test them on we went outside and opened up his r1200gs to use the battery on that :3:)

I have horrible circulation in my extremities so I'll probably be using these until May, and almost year round at night. Assuming they fit and it keeps not raining and being cold as balls I'll be back to give a proper trip report sometime next week.

gently caress. I wish I had known about these before buying my warmnsafe gauntlets.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

M42 posted:

First gear makes a heated glove with hard knuckles

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wasn't a fan, hella floppy. But yeah the keis seems even bigger going on the size chart :sigh:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

I'm in touch with a guy with a Klim Traverse jacket in my size w/ armor he wants to sell me but he didn't name a price so I'm gonna put one out there? It's $330 on motorcycle superstore. I got my Badlands pants for about half the online sell price through local used sale, so going by that I should offer like $180. Seem fair?

Got the jacket today, it's a nice shell with room to move and layer under. Double storm flaps are nice. Beefy back protector in it. It's a good time of year for some nice rain gear.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

I hope to not be able to report on the quality of the armour. :fireman:

M42 posted:

Wasn't a fan, hella floppy. But yeah the keis seems even bigger going on the size chart :sigh:

My hand measures somewhere between 7.5 and 8, and an S is bang on, so I'd imagine the XS to fit about 6.5 to 7. No luck if you're 6 or under :(

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Where do I find riding pants that have short legs?
I have a 34-36 waist, but a 28 inseam.
All pants that fit have the knee armor near my ankles, so I can't just chop the bottom off the legs.
I bought some already and had the intention of getting the thighs shortened, but don't really know of a leather tailor(?).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

blindjoe posted:

Where do I find riding pants that have short legs?
I have a 34-36 waist, but a 28 inseam.
All pants that fit have the knee armor near my ankles, so I can't just chop the bottom off the legs.
I bought some already and had the intention of getting the thighs shortened, but don't really know of a leather tailor(?).

Just buy separate armor for underneath. ex http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-limb-tubes

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Icon just launched its spring line, Revzilla already has all the reviews but i think these are a pretty cool concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds-yqXoWPME

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Keket posted:

Icon just launched its spring line, Revzilla already has all the reviews but i think these are a pretty cool concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds-yqXoWPME

That video has the BEST Revzilla Anthony intro ever. I almost pissed myself and had to watch it about 15 times.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What are some good motorcycle sneakers? I just got the Dainese waterproof street ones and I'm sending them back. They fit terribly and they felt and looked really cheap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Partial Octopus posted:

What are some good motorcycle sneakers?

Trick question. There aren't any. Even at the Dainese store they describe the sneakers euphemistically as "lifestyle footwear" rather than protective equipment.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Fox Comp 5s is the closest I've found to sneakers as far as feel goes. It's like I'm in skate shoes all day. Not WP though.

Also, Fox is a pretty cool company. I broke a buckle the other day and they sent me a replacement and a spare out next day for free. All I had to do is send them a pic of the boot.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Partial Octopus posted:

What are some good motorcycle sneakers? I just got the Dainese waterproof street ones and I'm sending them back. They fit terribly and they felt and looked really cheap.
TCX X-Streets/X-Raps IME. I think the X-Raps have been replaced with a new model but I haven't worked since my crash 'cause brain damage recovery time and all that jazz.

Re: Protection on shoes. I agree that shoes don't really offer much protection, but it's one of those things that comes down to "actually wearing it is better than nothing". With shoes you're mainly getting crush protection in case the bike falls on you (try to push the sides inwards and they won't give). There's some moderate ankle impact protection (but zero lateral protection obviously), and if you get a hi-top they'll be much less likely to come off in an accident than standard sneakers/chukkas/whatever.

edit: They come in regular, proprietary waterproofing, and GTX.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sagebrush posted:

Trick question. There aren't any. Even at the Dainese store they describe the sneakers euphemistically as "lifestyle footwear" rather than protective equipment.

I've never seen them in person, but I'd probably cop a pair of the Dainese Riding Chucks for $100.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

-Inu- posted:

TCX X-Streets/X-Raps IME. I think the X-Raps have been replaced with a new model but I haven't worked since my crash 'cause brain damage recovery time and all that jazz.

Re: Protection on shoes. I agree that shoes don't really offer much protection, but it's one of those things that comes down to "actually wearing it is better than nothing". With shoes you're mainly getting crush protection in case the bike falls on you (try to push the sides inwards and they won't give). There's some moderate ankle impact protection (but zero lateral protection obviously), and if you get a hi-top they'll be much less likely to come off in an accident than standard sneakers/chukkas/whatever.

edit: They come in regular, proprietary waterproofing, and GTX.

Thanks. I'll give them a shot.

And I'm mostly just looking for functionality as opposed to protection. It's so much easier to shift with a shoe with a hard toe box than some floppy worn in sneaker.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am about $600 into a set of top and bottom Craigslist/ADV flea market Klim gear. Badlands pants and Traverse jacket w/armor. Based on my 200 or so miles I've put in the outfit I gotta say I'd probably be OK spending double on it. It's really enjoyable. I've been using dirt bike pads under kevlar long johns under jeans and a 4lb leather jacket and now it's just under armor compression tights under the pants and a t-shirt under the jacket in 50F weather so this is basically like going commando for me. I even get back and hip protectors I didn't have before.

Everybody saw me marvel.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Is leatherup.com reputable? Their prices seem so low I wouldn't want to trust my head to one of their helmets when they're selling at 35% the cost of brick and mortar.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

eggyolk posted:

Is leatherup.com reputable? Their prices seem so low I wouldn't want to trust my head to one of their helmets when they're selling at 35% the cost of brick and mortar.

I haven't bought anything from them myself, but I do recall that they've been mentioned a few times before in this thread, so I would imagine so.

E: I actually did buy an Xelement mesh jacket from them, now that I think about it... That's why the name is so familiar. The overall quality of the jacket though was pretty "meh", I wouldn't recommend anything Xelement, but the retailer itself is good.

Question about boots... I'd love to find a pair of proper motorcycle boots, but I've been looking for years and there's not too much out there that fits my 14 EE sasquatch feet. Are there any brands anyone can recommend that sell stuff in clown shoe sizes?

I bought some Fly ATV boots several years ago, but they're difficult to shift in so I've mainly just stuck with leather boots, but I'd really like something with better ankle protection and crush resistance.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 6, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Friend of mine bought boots and a jacket from leatherup. Didn't have any complaints. That was about five or six years ago.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I have bought some cheaper textile stuff from them and know people that have bought leather things, the site / company is legitimate and aren't going to steal your money

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

VERTiG0 posted:

That video has the BEST Revzilla Anthony intro ever. I almost pissed myself and had to watch it about 15 times.

Do yourself a favor and watch it at half speed

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Anybody tried Forma boots? I needed WP boots and was looking at Gaerne Balance boots but they don't have a shifter pad and if I'm gonna spend Gaerne money we wants our precious pad. Forma came up an an alternative and a little less than Gaerne money.

e: f it I ordered them. Have I made a huge mistake?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 7, 2016

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
http://www.klutch-industries.com/

This guy, Jeremy, is a (the?) MVD and Forma importer / retailer. He helps operate the supermoto racing I participate in and just about everyone there uses MVD and Forma products, among others, purchased through him. I recall his prices are pretty good compared to just about everywhere else but its been awhile since I compared.

I have Gaerne GX-1s and I think they're pretty great and I think advertised as waterproof but my feet do get wet eventually.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like Forma has a MAP policy because nobody has the Adventure model for any less than anybody else.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Looks like Forma has a MAP policy because nobody has the Adventure model for any less than anybody else.

This boot just keeps going up in price. It was $250 and then $275, and now it's $279. I starting to regret not getting the demo model they had for $175 at revzilla.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

clutchpuck posted:

I have these and they're brilliant. Super comfy, almost no break in time. I got mine on sale but ended up paying full price because I had to go through three pairs to get the size right. Totally worth it though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last WP piece I need is gloves. Usually I ride in the summer so my skin is waterproof enough to wear vented gloves, but I'm expecting slightly chillier weather up in northern BC and YT in a few months so keeping dry is gonna be a priority.

Is there a go-to un-insulated waterproof glove that gets recommended around here? Looking for a gauntlet style. Don't want a bunch of thinsulate inside, if it's cold I have glove liners to put in. I prefer to be able to feel my controls.

Price is more than I want to pay if I can help it, but are these legit? http://www.racerglovesusa.com/traveller-glove/

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Last WP piece I need is gloves. Usually I ride in the summer so my skin is waterproof enough to wear vented gloves, but I'm expecting slightly chillier weather up in northern BC and YT in a few months so keeping dry is gonna be a priority.

Is there a go-to un-insulated waterproof glove that gets recommended around here? Looking for a gauntlet style. Don't want a bunch of thinsulate inside, if it's cold I have glove liners to put in. I prefer to be able to feel my controls.

Price is more than I want to pay if I can help it, but are these legit? http://www.racerglovesusa.com/traveller-glove/

I like my Rev'it Roadstar GTX gloves, but they're more like a medium cuff. They'll go over a jacket but it's not really what you'd call a full gauntlet. Proven Florida downpour waterproof.

Do you use heated liners, or something like Thermasilk liners? I'm looking for a little bit more insulation when it drops into freezing temperatures, but I feel like heated gear would be overkill in Florida.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 8, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A little cotton stretch liner goes a long way. I use them under my 3 season gloves and they'd be 4 season gloves if they were waterproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Is AGV leather gear decent? I'm looking at this jacket and pants since they're relatively inexpensive but seem to have similar specs to the bigger brands.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-photon-perforated-leather-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-willow-perforated-leather-pants