Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

Booby Kids. :heysexy:

That was his Twitter yesterday, doubt they'll overlap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My guess is Galivan, a metroidvania/RPG game for Famicom.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Armed Formation F?

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

Yume Penguin Monogatari - Arino set a new record, beating it in 1 hour 35 minutes
I just played this for the first time after reading this, and beat it myself in less than 15 minutes. I also beat the second run in under 45 minutes. I'm a little bit surprised that they didn't make him try it for a second run, but I would imagine it probably wouldn't have been that entertaining. It's a fun little game regardless though. Very unique story and game mechanic too.

lunchtabler
Feb 29, 2016
I've been lurking for awhile, but I thought it was finally time to get an account and join the conversation!

At VideoGamesNewYork the other day, I purchased the Arino on 3rd Street 3DS game and DVD limited edition pack and ripped it, mainly because I loved watching him play through the first game and wanted to see the 2nd one.

I'm curious if you guys ever plan to sub that one, or, if you needed the raws to do it, if you'd like me to send them somewhere. I've been a fan of SA-GCCX for awhile now and I'd love to help with something – this may be my chance!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The DVD stuff is always a bit of a grey area (which isn't to say we don't do them, but tend to be lower priority and more carefully selected), and I have a copy of that DVD on my end. Thanks, though.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Hey, remember Tarosuke from everyone's favorite hellish voyage, Shadow Land?

Turns out he's kind of a perv.

http://imgur.com/Ce4xHk2

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

NBHS posted:

Hey, remember Tarosuke from everyone's favorite hellish voyage, Shadow Land?

Turns out he's kind of a perv.

http://imgur.com/Ce4xHk2

Project X Zone has its tounge so planted in its cheek i'm shocked it hasn't burst through it yet. Funny to see such an obscure game pop-up!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

gunstarheroes posted:

Project X Zone has its tounge so planted in its cheek i'm shocked it hasn't burst through it yet. Funny to see such an obscure game pop-up!

Not at all, actually. Project X Zone has its roots in a PS2 game called Namco X Capcom, where Reiji and Xiaomu first debuted. Tarosuke was a playable character in that game, a Dual Unit with Kagekiyo, the main character of The Genji and Heike Clans. The gambling frogs and the princess appear, too, off the top of my head.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Kakaricho posted:

GCCX Channel shots of Arino's birthday.

Kan - "You two have been going out in secret for a while, what do you call each other?"
Watanabe - "I call him 'Shin-chan'"
Arino - "I call her 'Hey, Pig!'"

I had to pause and think about whether this was a joke post or not. Am I the only one that thinks it's kinda hosed up the way Arino clowns on that AD but also howls in laughter every time

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next challenge is Seicross. Apparently they're following his record fast clear with "a game so difficult it will go down in challenge history"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7AerkQAO-s

The arcade visit is to Atami Castle in Shizuoka.

http://www.atamijyo.com/facility/game

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

SnatchRabbit posted:

I had to pause and think about whether this was a joke post or not. Am I the only one that thinks it's kinda hosed up the way Arino clowns on that AD but also howls in laughter every time

They seem to be welcoming her back with some real meanness.
In cut footage from Yume Penguin Monogatari they had her imitate the fat penguin, and she talked about how she lost a lot of weight (down to 93kg), then gained it back (to 104-5kg)

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Kakaricho posted:

They seem to be welcoming her back with some real meanness.
In cut footage from Yume Penguin Monogatari they had her imitate the fat penguin, and she talked about how she lost a lot of weight (down to 93kg), then gained it back (to 104-5kg)

Serious question: is it just more socially acceptable to tease fat people in Japan? Even On the trashiest reality tv in the US I don't think you could get away with openly mocking someone, especially a girl, about their weight. Although it's also entirely possible that Arino is just a huge dick, regardless of cultural mores.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not that long ago that teasing fat people was totally kosher in the US.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

Serious question: is it just more socially acceptable to tease fat people in Japan? Even On the trashiest reality tv in the US I don't think you could get away with openly mocking someone, especially a girl, about their weight. Although it's also entirely possible that Arino is just a huge dick, regardless of cultural mores.
Strangely enough, I've heard more positive terms for fat people used on TV and stuff in Japan. For example, there's a word that basically means "pleasingly plump" that I could see being used for Watanabe in another context. It has a neutral-to-positive connotation.

But sure, there are words that translate to "fatass," too. I don't think you'd hear them used to openly mock people, though, no. It's part of his schtick now.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

SnatchRabbit posted:

Mocking someone's appearance is pretty standard comedy. For example, I'm tall, and so people use that.

Also, it's not a big deal to flat out ask someone if they've put on weight.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SnatchRabbit posted:

Even On the trashiest reality tv in the US I don't think you could get away with openly mocking someone, especially a girl, about their weight.

We have an entire, long-running reality series specifically about laughing at fat people who are crying their eyes out on national television, how does that say "socially unacceptable" to you?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The White Dragon posted:

We have an entire, long-running reality series specifically about laughing at fat people who are crying their eyes out on national television, how does that say "socially unacceptable" to you?

Because I feel bad for watching it and don't tell people I enjoy it.

That's why I lie and tell people that enjoy things like Game of Thrones and the Wire. I want them to think I have good taste in television, when really, I just enjoy watching people get humiliated in public. That's pretty much all I watch.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

SnatchRabbit posted:

Serious question: is it just more socially acceptable to tease fat people in Japan?

Short answer: ohhh my, yes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Being (noticeably) overweight is never going to be a taboo subject to the degree of race or sexuality since it's inherently considered a negative thing and something a person can usually affect with their lifestyle. Even overweight people make fun of other people who are fatter than they are.

I'm generally not a fan of mocking people in general but I'm sure there's an understanding between Arino and Watanabe, the former seems like the kind of guy who'd stop making fun of someone if he was genuinely asked to do so.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I'm sure that's true, but man, I always cringe a bit when they rag on Black Kirby.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I feel bad when the joke seems to go too far and be about criticizing her character (her personal character, not the TV "character") for being fat, but it's usually done with godo humor and she seems pretty jolly about it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

I feel bad when the joke seems to go too far and be about criticizing her character (her personal character, not the TV "character") for being fat, but it's usually done with godo humor and she seems pretty jolly about it.

Jolly. Now there's an adjective that's only used to describe fat people.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Mister Chief posted:

Well, fat people and Pokémon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

And cattle breeders.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lizard Wizard posted:

And cattle breeders.

Don't forget snowmen.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, as a former fat person (I got better) I can say I sometimes cringe at Arino making fun of Watanabe. But on the other hand I've thought that if she really takes offense to it, she'd switch jobs. But then I think that japanese society might not give as many opportunities for an employee to speak up against bullying, especially by your senior. I try to think of it as light-hearted, and it usually is, but sometimes I just go "That Arino is too mean!"

Then again, scenes like on the Fukuoka trip where they are out and eating noodles, she is just so delirious with joy to the prospect of getting another bowl for free makes me think it's quite self-inflicted...

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Watanabe is a director. If she really wanted other employment, she could probably find it.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

But then I think that japanese society might not give as many opportunities for an employee to speak up against bullying, especially by your senior. I try to think of it as light-hearted, and it usually is, but sometimes I just go "That Arino is too mean!"

Power harassment is a workplace issue the government is trying to stand up against, along with maternity harassment,

quote:

Then again, scenes like on the Fukuoka trip where they are out and eating noodles, she is just so delirious with joy to the prospect of getting another bowl for free makes me think it's quite self-inflicted...

I get the impression she wants to (and has tried, to some limited success) to get healthier, but without some big motivation or scare, she`ll likely stay as is.

Hokuto posted:

Watanabe is a director. If she really wanted other employment, she could probably find it.

The proverb "A rolling stone gathers no moss" exists in Japanese too, but it has the opposite meaning. As in, it's not good to be constantly changing work.
Even if she wanted to change jobs, she might want to avoid the downsides.

Haunta
Apr 9, 2011
Probably overanalysing the finer points of Game Center CX here, folks.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Arino plays that middle-management rear end in a top hat that doesn't know what he's doing (at video games), who constantly needs to rely on those below him in the foodchain (the ADs), and yet constantly takes the piss out of them because he thinks himself superior to them because of his rank (but not, say, Kan, because he's the boss). He then takes that role and makes it actually enjoyable by being a good comedian, which is why we enjoy seeing him succeed, but also enjoy seeing him get his comeuppance. I would very much figure that everybody he takes the piss out of is in on the joke and knows the insults are just part of the schtick - I wouldn't worry about it.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Michael Scott

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Haunta posted:

Probably overanalysing the finer points of Game Center CX here, folks.

going strong for five years now!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

March 8th (today Japan time) is Inoue's birthday.

https://twitter.com/inokomax

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kakaricho posted:

March 8th (today Japan time) is Inoue's birthday.

https://twitter.com/inokomax

I still find it cool that I share a birthday with Inoko MAX. :v: Tweeted some birthday wishes!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I still find it cool that I share a birthday with Inoko MAX. :v: Tweeted some birthday wishes!

The staff is really good about replying to tweets.
Abe even gave me pointers for a recipe of his when I tweeted pictures of what I made to him.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

the way they treat Watanabe is extremely messed up, but it's more of a cultural problem than a problem with GCCX specifically. notice that Watanabe also seems to think it's totally normal and acceptable, even though they've said several times on the show that she really wants to be thinner, so she must hate looking that way. it's sad :(

it's also not a good idea to point it out in this thread, bc there are some posters who will freak out that you are insulting their hero Arino and will fall over themselves to find reasons why it's totally normal and good that fat ppl in Japan are treated like living jokes

I just try not to think about it too hard :smith:

TheMcD posted:

Arino plays that middle-management rear end in a top hat that doesn't know what he's doing (at video games), who constantly needs to rely on those below him in the foodchain (the ADs), and yet constantly takes the piss out of them because he thinks himself superior to them because of his rank (but not, say, Kan, because he's the boss). He then takes that role and makes it actually enjoyable by being a good comedian, which is why we enjoy seeing him succeed, but also enjoy seeing him get his comeuppance. I would very much figure that everybody he takes the piss out of is in on the joke and knows the insults are just part of the schtick - I wouldn't worry about it.

to an extent... there's some places where he REALLY goes too far though imo (sexually harassing the male staff :stare: lol wtf)

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Corridor posted:

the way they treat Watanabe is extremely messed up, but it's more of a cultural problem

Just my own two cents, but it's neither messed up, nor a cultural problem. People in Japan often pick at a person's appearance somewhat, and that gets exaggerated for a comedy show, and it's not a big deal, nor should it be.
I got an (overdue) haircut last week, and I was the butt of jokes for a few days over it at my office. Similarly, I've read generalized conduct manuals for Japanese employees assigned overseas, and they flat out say not to say anything remotely non-flattering about a person's appearance, and to pay particular attention to avoid mentioning sex or race, even when saying something one means to be polite.

tl;dr - different countries do and think things differently from what any one person is used to, and that's just how it is.

(Latest GCCX Channel episode was Watanabe talking freely about snacks she likes for 4 minutes. Take that as you will.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I get somewhat teased at work, including by my boss, loudly and in front of others, because I just at-home trim all my hair off at least once a summer. No big deal.

My boss also tries to get me to lose weight, but he is a dude who successfully did so, and he says that in private, so he means well there at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kakaricho posted:

Similarly, I've read generalized conduct manuals for Japanese employees assigned overseas, and they flat out say not to say anything remotely non-flattering about a person's appearance, and to pay particular attention to avoid mentioning sex or race, even when saying something one means to be polite.
When I worked in a Japanese company here in the States and our American HR manager was visibly pregnant (and I think she had made mention of it), one of the older Japanese senior staff guys came over to ask me if it was okay to say to her, "Are you having a happy event?" :3: He was clearly very concerned about potentially offending her.

Which makes me wonder what he would have said in Japan. Probably something like "I think you should take some time off. Like, five to twenty years."