Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
do picture disks sound lovely? I don't actually own any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

abraham linksys posted:

Yeah they're pretty notorious for sounding kind of lovely. I honestly don;t see the appeal because most of them have lovely art and they always cost way too much.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

abraham linksys posted:

they're the loving worst in my collection.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I was afraid to pick up any of those Iron Maiden reissues since they're all picture discs :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I thought that was more of an issue with older picture discs? The handful I have from Polyvinyl Records all sound about the same as normal vinyl.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah they're usually fine these days. It's like the 70s Disney ones that are garbage.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Dogen posted:

Yeah they're usually fine these days. It's like the 70s Disney ones that are garbage.

I found a "Mickey Mouse Disco" picture disc from back in the day that looked like it might be a funny gimmick until I dropped the needle. I don't think a single song played the whole way through without sounding seriously hosed up.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I found a "Mickey Mouse Disco" picture disc from back in the day that looked like it might be a funny gimmick until I dropped the needle. I don't think a single song played the whole way through without sounding seriously hosed up.

that's cool though, like you could sample that and do cool things with it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A human heart posted:

Just not, yaknow, listen to it for entertainment purposes.

(I dunno why you would, but the point remains.)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

A human heart posted:

Sampling malfunctioning records/turntables interests me greatly

do turntables exist that have really wide ranges of pitch control, I wanna be able to slow my records down to a crawl

e. of course theres an audiophile targeted $600 power supply that lets you set the exact power going into your table, why wouldn't there be.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 9, 2016

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

SeXReX posted:

do turntables exist that have really wide ranges of pitch control, I wanna be able to slow my records down to a crawl
The vestax pdx 2000 and 3000 have a pitch range of +50 to -50%

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

A human heart posted:

:) that's why I still have it stashed away

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so, i'm curious: what's the least convenient record y'all have ever bought? i just got the Snails' Worth the Wait EP, which is very good and has some beautiful art, but is also 5 very short songs split across two 7"s

it got me wondering if any band has ever just released a long album across a ton of 7"s or something equally annoying

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

abraham linksys posted:

so, i'm curious: what's the least convenient record y'all have ever bought? i just got the Snails' Worth the Wait EP, which is very good and has some beautiful art, but is also 5 very short songs split across two 7"s

it got me wondering if any band has ever just released a long album across a ton of 7"s or something equally annoying

does anyone own Zaireeka by the Flaming Lips?

e:

quote:

Warning: this is a unique recording. These eight compositions are to be played using as many as four players, and have synchronized start times. This recording also contains frequencies not normally heard on commercial recordings and on rare occasion has caused the listener to become disoriented. These extremely high and low frequencies can cause a person to become disoriented, confused or nauseated. DO NOT listen repeatedly at high volume. Make sure infants are out of listening range. Zaireeka should not be listened to while driving.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

quote:

Zaireeka should not be listened to while driving.
Well, yeah, you probably shouldn't try to operate four turntables simultaneously while driving.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

abraham linksys posted:

Perfect Teeth by Unrest is a great record that is split across 6 7"s.

Rancid released this ridiculous thing: https://www.discogs.com/Rancid-The-Essentials-20th-Anniversary-Edition/release/4364742

It's their discography across 46 7"s.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I've always been annoyed by Allelujah! Don't Bend, Ascend! was really annoying to listen to fully as tracks 1 and 3 are on a 12" and then 2 and 4 are on a 10" and I actually just don't bother at all with the 10".

Additionally, the packaging for The Seer is really a huge pain in the rear end and the tracklisting on vinyl is awful. Splitting multiple long tracks across LP faces.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Least convenient: Amon Tobin - Dark Jovian EP. The packaging is pretty neat but goddamn it's a hassle to get the records out of the wheel thing. As some weird bonus the plastic also smells really bad.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursed,_Unshaven_and_Misbehavin%27:_Live_Infinity

This is probably the most irritating record I've heard of. "The vinyl is unique in the way it is played. "Jim Fear" begins like a normal 7" but ends on a locked groove in the middle of the vinyl. "Destro's Secret" plays from the inside out and ends in the locked groove in the middle of the vinyl. "Sandbox Magician" begins like a normal 7", however "The Mullet Burden" begins slightly after the starting point for "Sandbox Magician". The EP comes with a sheet explaining the procedure required to listen to all of the tracks."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Titus Andronacus A Most Lamentable Tragedy is annoying.

Three disks.

Disk 1 has side 1 and 2. Disk 2 has 3 and 5, and runs at 45 rpm instead of 33 that the other disks run at. Disk 3 has 4 and 6.

The record comes with instructions.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

abraham linksys posted:

An UNKLE War Stories boxset. It is 4 records with 1-2 songs each side with Records 1 and 3 at 45RPM and the other two at 33.

I dunno.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Every album I have that makes you open the gatefold to pull the record out from the inside. Also every record that has an inner sleeve that isn't exactly square so I can't put it in sideways and line up the openings. :argh:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

Titus Andronacus A Most Lamentable Tragedy is annoying.

Three disks.

Disk 1 has side 1 and 2. Disk 2 has 3 and 5, and runs at 45 rpm instead of 33 that the other disks run at. Disk 3 has 4 and 6.

The record comes with instructions.

Other than to annoy someone, why would they do this?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Flaggy posted:

Patrick Stickles is definitely the sort of dude that would have the record pressed that way just to piss people off.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Giga Gaia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursed,_Unshaven_and_Misbehavin%27:_Live_Infinity

This is probably the most irritating record I've heard of. "The vinyl is unique in the way it is played. "Jim Fear" begins like a normal 7" but ends on a locked groove in the middle of the vinyl. "Destro's Secret" plays from the inside out and ends in the locked groove in the middle of the vinyl. "Sandbox Magician" begins like a normal 7", however "The Mullet Burden" begins slightly after the starting point for "Sandbox Magician". The EP comes with a sheet explaining the procedure required to listen to all of the tracks."

How does a record play "inside out", is there just groove cut in such a way that it guides the needle in the other direction or do you have to run the record in reverse?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

How does a record play "inside out", is there just groove cut in such a way that it guides the needle in the other direction or do you have to run the record in reverse?

You play it like you would anything else but you drop the stylus in the dead wax instead of the other edge of the record and it just plays by magic or something. Side A of Jack White's Lazaretto does this. I'm told that this was also fairly common on old classical records.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Flaggy posted:

because it's cool

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Flaggy posted:

Those sides take place in a different time period where things move faster.

The worst are when they don't tell you it runs at 45 rpm.

Neon Indian's latest has 33 on the label, but that's just an error.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

Those sides take place in a different time period where things move faster.

The worst are when they don't tell you it runs at 45 rpm.

Neon Indian's latest has 33 on the label, but that's just an error.

GYBE!'s EP has different speeds on different sides and is much easy to manage as they just threw it on the label.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

My friend got me a Butt Trumpet single that has some etching on the rim that says it'll break your needle.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Holy poo poo Butt Trumpet. That takes me back to the early 90s.

Flannel.

Seattle.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

My friend got me a Butt Trumpet single that has some etching on the rim that says it'll break your needle.

Butt Trumpet had 2 bass players

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Peas and Rice posted:

Holy poo poo Butt Trumpet. That takes me back to the early 90s.

Flannel.

Seattle.

That's the song.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Dubstep Jesus posted:

does anyone own Zaireeka by the Flaming Lips?

e:

I own the Zaireeka vinyl box set. I don't even have one record player, let alone four.

It is the most ill-considered purchase I've ever made. :downs:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Creature posted:

I own the Zaireeka vinyl box set. I don't even have one record player, let alone four.

It is the most ill-considered purchase I've ever made. :downs:

Send it to me, I will set up my four players, record it for you, and send you the recording. All for free!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
You can get the new Kendrick album signed here: http://kendricklamar.shop.musictoday.com/product/5UKLCOMBO01

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Butt Trumpet is my main go-to reference for dumb '90s bands nobody remembers.

I went to a friend's birthday party where the main attraction was trying to pull of Zaireeka and it was 40 solid minutes of "THREE... TWO... ONE... FUUUUUCK!" before we decided we were being taken for a ride and just let it play as is. We also somehow had two copies of Gloss Drop by Battles and played them simultaneously. That was actually really loving awesome. Full disclosure: :catdrugs:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

drat I need friends like that.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Speaking of Battles, I think Warp recently reissued EPC/BEP, Mirrored and Gloss Drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

BigFactory posted:

Butt Trumpet had 2 bass players

Are there any legit great bands with two bassists? All I can think of are jazz/prog/metal dudes showing off like a bunch of buttholes or jam band type stuff, all of which I'd file more as a gimmick than a necessity.