Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

First: I played Firewatch and absolutely loved it. What are some other games that will tug at the heart strings and have amazing stories? Don't care if it's First Person or not, but I have already played To The Moon (and sobbed like a little small baby).

Corpse of Discovery was a pleasant surprise (when it wasn't bugging out). Also The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
So I tend to play only single player games and now I'd like to branch out to coop games and got a headset with mike.

Can anyone recommend me a pcgame that's heavy on collaboration and not too grindy?

Thanks!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SquadronROE posted:

First: I played Firewatch and absolutely loved it. What are some other games that will tug at the heart strings and have amazing stories? Don't care if it's First Person or not, but I have already played To The Moon (and sobbed like a little small baby).
Gone Home, Undertale, Ghost Trick, Planescape Torment, NIER, The Longest Journey, and Walking Dead Season 1.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SquadronROE posted:

Second: I need a FPS that is very fast to get playing. Doesn't have to be Steam. Can be anything, really. I just want to get up and shooting fast, when I've got a few minutes to kill. Right now I've got nothing that scratches that itch.

Rise of the Triad would be a good one as well, very frantic old-school shooting.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I have never played a MOBA. What should my first MOBA be? I am guessing heroes of the storm because Blizzard, but let me know.

For reference, most of my PC multiplayer experience is Starcraft, Total Annihilation, and SupCom (im old).

e: "none" is an acceptable answer

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
HotS is the most beginner-friendly, LoL is the most popular and Dota is free with access to everything from the start. Some people are huge assholes in all of them, although contrary to popular belief the majority tend to just be quiet.

The actual answer is to pick the one where you can most easily find some other (chill) people who'll play with you as it's not a genre you want to play on your own if at all possible.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

gvibes posted:

I have never played a MOBA. What should my first MOBA be? I am guessing heroes of the storm because Blizzard, but let me know.

For reference, most of my PC multiplayer experience is Starcraft, Total Annihilation, and SupCom (im old).

As a fellow old goon HoTS is your best bet but generally I would say none. MOBAs have super lovely communities and you have to constantly stay up to date on the meta and practice a lot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

themongol posted:

So I tend to play only single player games and now I'd like to branch out to coop games and got a headset with mike.

Can anyone recommend me a pcgame that's heavy on collaboration and not too grindy?

Thanks!

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SquadronROE posted:

Life is Strange, TWD season one, Gone Home (this one's only like 2 hours long though).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Second: I need a FPS that is very fast to get playing. Doesn't have to be Steam. Can be anything, really. I just want to get up and shooting fast, when I've got a few minutes to kill. Right now I've got nothing that scratches that itch.
Devil Daggers.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765219

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gvibes posted:

I would agree with the Heroes of the Storm or "none" suggestion. It was the only one I was able to find tolerable for the following reasons:

-Your whole team levels up instead of individual people so you aren't totally useless if you suck
-You don't have to buy items, which I always hated
-No last hit micromanagement
-Familiar roster of characters

In other MOBA games, I found that you needed to dedicate a huge amount of time just to get to the point where you were good enough at the game to actually contribute to your team... not only do you have to learn the characters, but you have to learn item builds for these characters, and then how all these variables interact with all the other characters and item builds. Before you reach that point, the most beneficial thing you can do for your team is be AFK. That's what I hate most about MOBA design. I also like how Heroes of the Storm has a variety of different maps, even if they all play fairly similarly. Most MOBAs have a single map afaik.

It'd be like if Unreal Tournament was only the Facing Worlds map, and you started off with no guns on team deathmatch and had to read a wiki to assemble your gun properly. If you gently caress it up, well good luck with your lovely gun. The enemy team has read the Ultimate Gun Manual and has made a supergun.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 8, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gvibes posted:

I would say LOL but more than that I would say none. MOBAs are just really toxic. At first you'll get owned because there's 50 characters each with 4 abilities and there's no way you can learn all of them at once. So things will murder you that you don't even understand. Then after putting in many hours you'll get better, only to start getting worse again as you get matched against better players. Then you start to get REALLY angry when you lose. MOBAs are not fun times in the long run. Too competitive.

Seconding Devil's Daggers. Great action-packed FPS in bite-sized chunks.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hots gets you (at the very least at lower levels of play) straight into fighting other dudes which is the real fun part of any moba

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Ahundredbux posted:

Hots gets you (at the very least at lower levels of play) straight into fighting other dudes which is the real fun part of any moba

rip bloodline champions

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Hots is much better than other MOBAs for playing casually and I had fun with it but if you start getting good the rubberbanding mechanic makes it a bit harder to carry than in other MOBAs

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HMS Boromir posted:

rip bloodline champions

too good for this world

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Hello all

What I'm looking at is a game similar in gameplay to Infinite Space on NDS - commandeering a small fleet in which every ship is distinct, yet a part of whole, with micromanagement of each unit. Not necessarily story-based in unlocks or progress, more of a free-flowing game would be cool.

What I'm looking for specifically is:
- progression of your ships, from a dinky small one to giant space battleships, hopefully in fleets
- being able to choose to be a space [whatever]: a pirate, a trader, a soldier, etc.
- not too complicated gameplay in the tactical sense, at least - giving orders is fine, micromanaging crew members so that they actually do thing is not; strategically (outfitting ships, messing around with part) I could manage more, but nothing on EVE levels of complicated
- some kind of renown/hopefully not suicidal enemies system, so that I'm not forced to blast slimes with nukes, in RPG terms
- an interesting story and/or lore a plus, as long as the game doesn't hide much of its content behind plot progression

Available platforms: PC, PS4, PS3, PS2, PS Vita, 3DS; I hear Master of Orion is a game in a similar vein, so I put it on my GoG wishlist, but am waiting for the next sale. As long as the game plays well, age shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 9, 2016

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Szurumbur posted:

What I'm looking at is a game similar in gameplay to Infinite Space on NDS - commandeering a small fleet in which every ship is distinct, yet a part of whole, with micromanagement of each unit. Not necessarily story-based in unlocks or progress, more of a free-flowing game would be cool.

Try Starsector

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Try Starsector

Thanks for the suggestion - I've looked it up, it seems interesting, but it's still in development, isn't it? I'd rather not get an early access game, and the preorder discount with a full price of 15$ isn't anything tempting. After it's finished, maybe?

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 9, 2016

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Starsector is already oodles of game. The mod scene is thriving, so you won't lack for content. The beginning of the game is kind of hard, but there's two ways to get an extra ship to help you out at the very beginning, solo starts is kind of a challenge mode.

The game is real-time, though, which is very different from Infinite Space. Go over to the thread for more info.
E: For pacing, enemy fleets that don't think they can take you on will actively avoid you, enemy fleets with bigger ships than yours will generally have slower movement speed on the world map so you can outrun them. There's a sensors and detection range system so once you get a hang of that you can generally pick your battles.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 9, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

too good for this world

APPARENTLY NOT. We summoned it!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

i already miss the old art style but maybe titties and muscle wizards will help it maintain a population of more than 50 players worldwide

still, this is really exciting and i hope it's more like BLC was in beta

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SquadronROE posted:

Have you played all the serious sam games?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

SquadronROE posted:

You could look into Ziggurat. It's basically like old school Heretic/Hexen but has randomly generated levels. I got it for like 5 bucks on a Steam sale. You go through a level, gain some stats, find some new 'spells' (basically your guns), fight a boss, and then move on to the next level. As a side bonus as you go through you unlock stuff for your next playthroughs (sort of rogue-like in a way).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

khy posted:

Have you played all the serious sam games?

I have not. I am grabbing those though, I think they'll scratch the itch nicely.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This is also out of the ordinary, but the concept game Black Shades (http://www.wolfire.com/black-shades) was kind of my 2-minute twitch shooter for a bit. You're a bodyguard with psychic powers, capable of projecting your consciousness, reading the intent of attackers, and slowing down time. It's really oddball. I really liked wrenching assassins' weapons out of their hands and shooting them in the head as they lay prone on the ground, then plugging the two or three guys going after my employer from a distance.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

Hello all

What I'm looking for specifically is:
- progression of your ships, from a dinky small one to giant space battleships, hopefully in fleets
- being able to choose to be a space [whatever]: a pirate, a trader, a soldier, etc.
- not too complicated gameplay in the tactical sense, at least - giving orders is fine, micromanaging crew members so that they actually do thing is not; strategically (outfitting ships, messing around with part) I could manage more, but nothing on EVE levels of complicated
- some kind of renown/hopefully not suicidal enemies system, so that I'm not forced to blast slimes with nukes, in RPG terms
- an interesting story and/or lore a plus, as long as the game doesn't hide much of its content behind plot progression

Available platforms: PC, PS4, PS3, PS2, PS Vita, 3DS; I hear Master of Orion is a game in a similar vein, so I put it on my GoG wishlist, but am waiting for the next sale. As long as the game plays well, age shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Understand you're not going to find exactly what you want. Space games are either focused on a single character with absolute freedom (e.g. Freelancer or Elite) or you micromanage a fleet but the story is linear and direct. Master of Orion is a 4X strategy game similar to Civilization, it's definitely not what you want.

So here are your core requests: controlling a small fleet, progression of varied ships, non-linearity in mission structure, minimal micromanagement, and linear progression of challenges. I'll leave out the story thing, you're not going to find anything as structured as Infinite Space.

Space Pirates and Zombies
Controlling a small fleet
Progression of varied ships
Non-linearity in mission structure
Minimal micromanagement - real time w/pause tactical combat, manage multiple resources including crew, shields, and damaged systems
Linear progression of challenges

Notes: The overall goal is to complete randomized missions to get through the various gates that lead to the center of the galaxy. Next to no story and very repetitive but non-linear structure and large variety of ships and options.

Space Rangers HD: A World Apart
Controlling a small fleet - You can hire muscle but they operate independently
Progression of varied ships - There's a variety of ships among different races but they're all attack/fighter style craft as the core of the game is "you're a space rogue"
Minimal micromanagement
Linear progression of challenges - Majority of creatures in the game are unique from the outset. You're a small fry trying to play catch up to the big boys.

Notes: A mish-mash of visual novel concepts with some real time strategy missions and light empire management. The AI in the game acts independent of you with its own leader board ranking, technology gets better through the course of in-game years, and your contributions to the galaxy are permanent and far ranging. The goal is to defeat a rogue AI that starts off as an unstoppable force attacking random solar systems. Research dedicated to the war front is felt throughout the entire game.

X series (recommend X3: Terran Conflict)
Progression of ship design
Minimal micromanagement - Incredibly complex with you being able to micromanage entire fleets and shipping industries remotely
Linear progression of challenges - Enemy difficulty is based on their importance, not the dictation of the story

Notes: Complex micromanagement, almost dipping into a sim game but always in real time and with direct control over ships. Once it gets going you have some truly impressive fleets and singularly control massive capital ships.

Darkstar One
Controlling a small fleet - Single vessel
Progression of ship design - Your ship is modular. You can change components to match your play style but you're not buying new vehicles
Minimal micromanagement

Notes: About as close to Freelancer as you'll get. Go down a single story path and play randomized missions for loot.

Star Wolves
Progression of ship design -You're space rogues so there's a variety of craft but they're all attack fighter style
Non-linearity in mission structure -It's non-linear compared to most RPGs but the game has a clear progression and it's not like an open world space game
Minimal micromanagement

Notes: Conceptually the closest to Infinite Space. You've got a small crew, flying around the galaxy doing story missions. There's some choice involved but like Infinite Space it's a story driven RPG.

Rebel Galaxy
Controlling a small fleet -You can hire help but you're controlling a single ship
Progression of ship design
Minimal micromanagement

Notes: Another Freelancer rags-to-riches style game that tries to do a little bit of everything. More like the Escape Velocity series if anything else. Very simplistic with a heavy focus on combat. Movement is on a 2D plane and combat is stylized after naval broadsides fighting.

StarControl 2 (get the free open source port called The Ur-Quan Masters)
Controlling a small fleet -You get a fleet but combat is always 1v1
Progression of ship design - You can make basic upgrades to your ships like traditional RPG equipment, but you're not buying new ones
Minimal micromanagement
Linear progression of challenges -Real time 1v1 combat (think Asteroids or something). Your skill as a player determines how well you do.

Notes: A story heavy space adventure with some exploration and resource collecting. Very simplistic with fast paced real time combat. It's greatest strength is the writing and world building, few games are as colorful and interesting with so little presented upfront. I think there's an LP going on right now.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 10, 2016

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's not really fair to recommend Star Wolves without also warning people about it's... sketchy translation and voice acting.

Granted, that could very well be a selling point, but it definitely merits mentioning.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Space Rangers is also poorly translated with huge text dumps of nonsensical dialog. Part of the charm, though, and there's nothing else you could call Homeworld The RPG.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

al-azad posted:

Space Rangers is also poorly translated with huge text dumps of nonsensical dialog. Part of the charm, though, and there's nothing else you could call Homeworld The RPG.

Never read a word of dialogue while playing Space Rangers 2. I enjoyed it immensely.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

al-azad posted:

Did Space Rangers HD improve the translation? I played and loved the original iteration, despite the horrible translation. I have the HD version in my steam library and would definitely dive back in with a good translation.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

Did Space Rangers HD improve the translation? I played and loved the original iteration, despite the horrible translation. I have the HD version in my steam library and would definitely dive back in with a good translation.
I hope not, I love the ridiculous nonsense. One of the CYOA quests is completely incoherent because of it – you go to visit a haunted house where a mysterious man on the other side of a mirror is threatening to cross from the “real world” into the “actual world” and must be stopped.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey yall. I love strategy games. Fire Emblem, Civ 5, Pokemon, Infinite Space/Legend, New Xcom. I love good exploration games, good stories, kinda Firewatch, kinda Fallout New Vegas. I like Cities: Skylines, for the zen kinda 'build a nice city.' I love Witcher 3. I love roguelikes, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Caves of Qud, DCSS, FTL, Invisible Inc. Got a Ps4, pretty decent PC, Vita, 3DS, and a WiiU. I'll probably think of some other rad poo poo that I forgot about later.

Freeform jazz me some suggestions. Obviously, don't need to be all of them, or even some of em.

(fyi lemme generally recommend 'Affordable Space Adventures' for WiiU. It's a cool exploration game where you're controlling this tiny lovely spaceship and there's like. Shield management versus engine management and it uses the Gamepad pretty well. Surprise little gem on the WiiU.)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Bogart posted:

Hey yall. I love strategy games. Fire Emblem, Civ 5, Pokemon, Infinite Space/Legend, New Xcom. I love good exploration games, good stories, kinda Firewatch, kinda Fallout New Vegas. I like Cities: Skylines, for the zen kinda 'build a nice city.' I love Witcher 3. I love roguelikes, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Caves of Qud, DCSS, FTL, Invisible Inc. Got a Ps4, pretty decent PC, Vita, 3DS, and a WiiU. I'll probably think of some other rad poo poo that I forgot about later.

Freeform jazz me some suggestions. Obviously, don't need to be all of them, or even some of em.

(fyi lemme generally recommend 'Affordable Space Adventures' for WiiU. It's a cool exploration game where you're controlling this tiny lovely spaceship and there's like. Shield management versus engine management and it uses the Gamepad pretty well. Surprise little gem on the WiiU.)

Star Control 2

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone recommend an empire building/RTS game like Total War that takes place in a modern (ie. at least WW2) era?

I dig Total War's style of campaign where there's a big map you can conquer as you see fit and really enjoy the RTS battles, but am a little bored with the eras most of the games take place in. Wargame Red Dragon seems like it might be close to what I'm looking for, but it lacks the empire building aspect from what I can tell.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I want wuxia fights in an interesting world that's maybe a little open. A more modern Jade Empire kinda thing I guess? Or like an ancient-China Sleeping Dogs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kedo posted:

Can anyone recommend an empire building/RTS game like Total War that takes place in a modern (ie. at least WW2) era?

I dig Total War's style of campaign where there's a big map you can conquer as you see fit and really enjoy the RTS battles, but am a little bored with the eras most of the games take place in. Wargame Red Dragon seems like it might be close to what I'm looking for, but it lacks the empire building aspect from what I can tell.

Yeah Wargame Red Dragon has no empire building. Its also a really weird RTS, I kinda want a refund on it but I didn't spend enough to be upset. The UI is so minimalist it feels like they ran out of time and called it a day. The game does nothing to explain itself to you AT ALL so if you aren't already a military officer, good loving luck.

Seriously Wargame practically requires you to have gone to West Point to enjoy it. Its not for most people.

Company of Heroes is one of the best RTS ever made, and is WW2, although doesn't have much in the way of empire building. There's a campaign in COH1 and there's a bigger campaign in COH2 with a little more unlocking and upgrading and customizing, but its still nothing like a total war campaign.

Unfortunately AFAIK those types of games mostly stay away from modern times. There's a ton of medieval period ones, and a few sci-fi, but not much I can think of that's modern.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I want wuxia fights in an interesting world that's maybe a little open. A more modern Jade Empire kinda thing I guess? Or like an ancient-China Sleeping Dogs.

Age of Wushu is a free to play MMO, its not the best story ever but the world is big and open and it really loving nails the wuxia fighting, including straight up crouching tiger hidden dragon style running on water, climbing on walls, running on trees type stuff, pretty wild. If you want Wuxia I'd check that out first, since its free to taste.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

There are very few non Chinese wuxia games outside of MMOs anymore. Blade and Soul just came out and it's pretty wuxia from when I played the Chinese beta.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bogart posted:

my man you like the Good Games.

Strategy:
Age of Wonders 3. Good strategy, some level of city building, exploring in the sense that you slowly uncover more of each map and lots of weird secrets and hidden areas/characters/monsters to talk to.

Codename S.T.E.A.M. is a good 3DS strategy game with a fun, silly story about Abe Lincoln fighting in the War of the Worlds. It's kind of like XCOM and kind of like Valkyrie Chronicles (which I also recommend).

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 and 2 for the 3DS are more great strategy RPGs with good stories, character development, turn-based combat etc.

Roguelikes:
you haven't mentioned ToME 4. You should play ToME 4 immediately if you like DCSS and such.

NEO Scavenger is a great roguelike exploration RPG. You're a single character stuck in a post-apocalyptic world and struggling to survive and find weird/cool adventures. It's really really good guys

Exploration:
Very much on the Firewatch side of the scale, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is pretty great for a chilled-ish walk through a beautiful world with a great mystery. Ending shits the bed in a typical indie style but whatever, the journey is good.

On the New Vegas side:
Dragon's Dogma is great for just roaming around and finding strange dungeons and stuff where none were expected. It peters out relatively quickly because the world's quite small, but in doing so it gives way to becoming an awesome action RPG with great set piece battles so if you like that everything is good.

Sunless Sea is all about exploring a big weird underground world with light resource management and it's all about the brilliant discoveries, encounters and writing. It's an explorer's dream.

Gothic I + II are pretty old action-RPGs, but they still have the absolute best exploration in any RPG I've ever played. It's a harsh, brutal world full of little secrets and stuff that will give you the slight edge you need to get by - and it's all the more exciting when you do.

Legend of Grimrock II is a more recent RPG w really good findy stuff parts.

Goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

Hey yall. I love strategy games. Fire Emblem, Civ 5, Pokemon, Infinite Space/Legend, New Xcom.

Infinite Space is a very different game from Endless Space