Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Chemmy posted:

Yes. Like I said:

The stick lift won't get called, especially if it's brief, but I don't know that it's a great play or really that much of a big success.

Edit: a quick tap to pop their stick right over the puck is fine, but if you hold it up in the air with no intention of playing the puck yourself that's different.

Eh, we got a shot off because of my lift so I'd say it was a success.

I looked up interference after this post and see where you're coming from. I didn't impede his progress going toward the puck in terms of slowing his skating but definitely was preventing him from actually touching the puck.

Although I also know that the stick is considered part of the player in a lot of cases so.

I'll just do it and try and go for the puck too or keep his stick up then try and play for it with my feet so I'm still "playing the puck" while making GBS threads on his chance to.

I've had my stick held, been hooked and slashed now more than enough times with no call that I guess I've reached the "gently caress this, I'm grey-areaing poo poo myself now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh, I do this all the time when I'm defending someone in front of the net. Never gotten called for it, so I assumed it was legal. Not really holding it 'up in the air,' but more of keeping it a foot or 2 off the ice.

Yeah I do the same. Never been called for it, never even thought for a second it was illegal. I played in a coed drop in for a few years and one of the ladies that played complained that I was lifting her stick in front of the net because in the all woman's league she played in you couldn't do a stick lift unless the puck was coming into play which is crazy. I was just like, its not illegal soooo I'm doing it. She was like 100lbs soaking wet so a stick lift is really the nicest way I could play against her in front of the net so she shouldn't have been complaining.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Anyone using those fully sublimated jerseys for ice hockey? Our team is making noise about new jerseys for next season. Typically you see them for roller hockey teams, wondering about durability/fit vs a more traditional jersey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

One of my old teams wore them and they own.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Dye sub jerseys are nice for a few reasons. The jerseys are often lighter weight material so they breathe really well. The graphics are embedded into the fabric so they don't add any extra weight/bulk. They also don't wear/peal off like screen printed stuff often does. I used to have one team who had jerseys that were screen printed and possibly the heaviest weight jersey you could buy. I felt like I was skating covered in quilts.

I like dye sub jerseys, sure they don't look like traditional ice jerseys but they feel really nice.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

And it's not even the guy from the Facebook thread about fixing the refs that Duke Chin posted earlier that is still going on. New note for all, the guy who raised the issue about referee competence is leads the team in PIMs which as a team leads the entire league of about 100 teams in PIMs.

Hah that's still going? I stopped checking in on it on the first morning-after it was posted. Looks like I've got some good reading ahead of me tonight. :v:

edit: Holy poo poo, yeah they've got first place in PIM by a wiiiiiiiiide margin - almost a full 100 minutes more than the 2nd place team. Is that team just full of whiners or what? It always seems like its one of their people making noise on the league facebook (that ends up getting deleted).
Dude's team is in first place in his div and he's still whining. Nice.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 12, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

edit: Holy poo poo, yeah they've got first place in PIM by a wiiiiiiiiide margin - almost a full 100 minutes more than the 2nd place team.

Pffffft.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Disappointed that Suicide Kings aren't leading. Also, do they call penalties for looking at each other? The highest dude in our league, on our team, has 32 minutes. He also has the second highest number of points.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

I'm just seeing a whoooooooooooooole pie full of try hard here. :fork: :v:

we have a grand total of 38 with 2 games left - guess i better start head hunting.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Through 18 games, my team has 44 PIM. 14 of which came from one kid in one game. He took 2 stupid stick penalties, and then proceeded to loudly and profanely disagree with the refs, so he got a 10.

The leader in my league (of about 30 teams across 6 divisions) has 51 PIM himself. He got 33 PIM in one game alone.

You all need to be nicer to everyone.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Do I really need to wait 24 hours after baking to skate? I'm sure this has been addressed before but the Awful app search is failing me.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Habibi posted:

Do I really need to wait 24 hours after baking to skate? I'm sure this has been addressed before but the Awful app search is failing me.

nah, but don't bake them during warm-ups

E: in seriousness give it more than just a few hours but a day isn't really necessary

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 12, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man what the gently caress. I held someone's stick in my armpit again tonight. I fell over, so I got up on my knees to play the puck and the dude crosschecks me in the cage. After he did that, he dropped his stick for some reason. I did what any normal person would do in that scenario and grabbed his stick and chucked it down the ice.

He got 2 and a 10 for head contact and we won the game to put us in the championship :smug:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Toss it over the boards or up into the netting next time.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Some guy had the nerve to tell us we had the dirtiest team (guess which team we are)

Won the wild card series tonight to move on to play one of the top teams. So we're basically done after this but at least we arent last.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Man what the gently caress. I held someone's stick in my armpit again tonight. I fell over, so I got up on my knees to play the puck and the dude crosschecks me in the cage. After he did that, he dropped his stick for some reason. I did what any normal person would do in that scenario and grabbed his stick and chucked it down the ice.

He got 2 and a 10 for head contact and we won the game to put us in the championship :smug:

poo poo in his stick

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My 2 year old daughter skated forward on her own today. I'm really impressed how much she improves every weekend. We didn't stay the whole time though, because shortly after she learned to move on her own she skated right to the exit to leave. Also the guy at the pro shop gave us a free youth stick for her. Great time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

D C posted:

Some guy had the nerve to tell us we had the dirtiest team (guess which team we are)

Won the wild card series tonight to move on to play one of the top teams. So we're basically done after this but at least we arent last.

Please tell me Sharpshooters have Bret Hart on the front of their jerseys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Was on a walk today with the wife and got passed by a dude rollerblading, but he had no braking mechanism that I could see.. just four wheels and nothing else. How could he stop? Does he drag one foot behind him perpendicular, or are there hard enough wheels out there that you can actually hockey stop?

He could skate a bit too because he was doing crossovers, but still had that weird rear end "i just poo poo my pants" stride going on. I think it'd be cool to get a set of rollers but not if it messes with technique that much.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It's tricky especially if you aren't on sport court. I can hockey stop with inline skates on inline surfaces but definitely not on concrete. You can drag a foot, do small s turns which will slow you down as well, or you can circle out.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I go with the "ditch in the grass" option.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

Was on a walk today with the wife and got passed by a dude rollerblading, but he had no braking mechanism that I could see.. just four wheels and nothing else. How could he stop? Does he drag one foot behind him perpendicular, or are there hard enough wheels out there that you can actually hockey stop?

Likely dragging the leg. It's what I would do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I circle out. It's actually a bad thing to get used to rollers first because on ice i'm now far more comfortable circling out than I am hockey stopping. Terrible habit.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Verman posted:

It's tricky especially if you aren't on sport court. I can hockey stop with inline skates on inline surfaces but definitely not on concrete. You can drag a foot, do small s turns which will slow you down as well, or you can circle out.

Don't you need special wheels to do it too? I joined an inline pickup for a little bit, they had the whole inline rink and everything but I couldn't hockey stop on it because I didn't have the special wheels.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

On asphalt it's just a wide turn. Not as good as a proper hockey stop, but it's the best you can do. This is the reason the main rub on roller hockey is there's no starting and stopping, people just keep rolling past the play. I've seen guys do power slides on asphalt, but that's more of a trick move and not really versatile enough for a full speed hockey game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Not really but it depends.

Usually softer wheels work best on sport court. The softer the more grip you get, the harder the more they will slide. Your weight also has an effect. The more you weigh the more grip you can get from your wheels. I'm fairly light (160 lbs) so soft wheels (74a) gave me a decent amount if grip but still let me hockey stop. If they're too grippy you might have a hard time doing a hockey stop as you'll have too much grip. Too hard and you'll be sliding around when you don't want to be.

Like on ice, it's all about committing to it and that's the most terrifying part. Unlike ice, the mechanics are wildly different. With ice you are trying to bite into the ice and immediately stop. In roller you're doing more of a controlled skid to a stop. I feel with inline that your skates have a more extreme angle than ice.

On asphalt though? Absolutely not. I wouldn't even try.

I didn't go out of my way to practice or learn it, I did it by accident during a game and I was kind of like "oh cool, that's how you do it" and then kept doing it since.

And yes, roller hockey gave me the terrible habit of circling. Then again, I think circling is better than standing still.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Echoing what Verman has already said, hockey stops are definitely possible in roller hockey. I can do them on asphalt and sport court with the same technique. I usually rely on my inside leg to do most of the work. The key difference between ice and roller is you don't have to worry so much about inside and outside edges in roller.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
To hockey stop in roller you really need to commit to it, and throw your weight way back.

I find the inside leg does nothing and the outside leg does all the stopping. Easiest way is to sort of do a hard cut with your outside foot while keeping your inside foot more or less underneath you for balance. It's hard to explain.

In roller hockey I do a lot of throwing my hip into the boards to stop or slow down, especially after driving the net, because if you go hard to the net you really dont have enough room to stop, so I curl out and throw my hip into the boards.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

D C posted:

In roller hockey I do a lot of throwing my hip into the boards to stop or slow down, especially after driving the net, because if you go hard to the net you really dont have enough room to stop, so I curl out and throw my hip into the boards.

That's actually why I circle out. I used to throw my hip into the boards to slow down all the time and it ended up bruising the crap out of it. Now I can just circle stop as fast as I can go forward, which is much less painful on the hips, but can make you lose your bearings a bit.

I actually met the person who used to run the training sessions for my roller hockey team while buying ice hockey gear, who would be happy to have me train with them again. A few of my old teammates are still there so I think i'll be giving that a go.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So Tron's "unbreakable" sticks are on sale right, now, has anyone experience with these?

I like how the "unbreakable" is in quotes, really inspires confidence.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I bought one of the kinetic sticks at 75 flex. I freakin' love it. I'm not really sure what the difference between them are, I randomly chose kinetic. Mainly because there was some green on it. They do specials where it's buy one get one free, which I'll probably do sometime in the future.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I have the TronX Tesla and I love it. My stick before was the Easton S19, and I feel the TronX is even better. I have the 75 flex and the whip is amazing. Previously I used to have to really fight to get a shot top shelf, now everything goes up there with only a little effort.

For the differences between the sticks, take a look at the comparison charts they include on the page. The TronX line is essentially them reverse engineering other manufacturers sticks. For example the Tesla LS is like the CCM RBZ Superfast, the Heat LS is like the Bauer Supreme TotalOne MX3, the Heat EX is like the Colt 2.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

xzzy posted:

He could skate a bit too because he was doing crossovers, but still had that weird rear end "i just poo poo my pants" stride going on. I think it'd be cool to get a set of rollers but not if it messes with technique that much.

To really throw you, I coach women's roller derby (which uses quad skates), and nearly every one of them can perform a maneuver that looks like, is used like, and is called "a hockey stop." With four big fat wheels. On urethane-sealed wood, which will tear your skin off if you fall on it at speed.

bewbies posted:

So Tron's "unbreakable" sticks are on sale right, now, has anyone experience with these?

I like how the "unbreakable" is in quotes, really inspires confidence.

I wrote about the Tron-X "Heat" upthread some ways, though it's the 2014 "HX-4" model, I think, and not the "EX" "unbreakable" one they just dropped.

I really loved the stick, but some rear end in a top hat decided to give me a nice overhand slash and broke it about a foot above the taper last Friday. He did the same thing to my backup later, which didn't break that stick, fortunately. I told him that he'd broken my earlier stick with the same move and he just skated away, mumbling, "I didn't break anyone's stick." He also pulled that move against two other people on our team. His MO was generally to just whack your stick over the top right as the puck came, instead of doing a stick lift or something.

Anyway, I just used some of my Volkswagen pity money to buy a pair of the 2016 model Tron-X "Heat" sticks (the "LS" model) for 30% off each. Two high-end-quality sticks for $100 each? Yes please.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 14, 2016

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Loqieu posted:

For the differences between the sticks, take a look at the comparison charts they include on the page. The TronX line is essentially them reverse engineering other manufacturers sticks. For example the Tesla LS is like the CCM RBZ Superfast, the Heat LS is like the Bauer Supreme TotalOne MX3, the Heat EX is like the Colt 2.

Hah, wow, the Tron-x Heat Grip EX is totally a bootleg Vapor 1X complete with the silver crosshatching on the blade :laugh:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

If you needed any more convincing, you should also note that you receive one free Tron poster with purchase.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

dogstile posted:

That's actually why I circle out. I used to throw my hip into the boards to slow down all the time and it ended up bruising the crap out of it. Now I can just circle stop as fast as I can go forward, which is much less painful on the hips, but can make you lose your bearings a bit.

I actually met the person who used to run the training sessions for my roller hockey team while buying ice hockey gear, who would be happy to have me train with them again. A few of my old teammates are still there so I think i'll be giving that a go.

That is basically why I gave up roller hockey. My hips were getting destroyed. Banging the boards, banging the ground, just banging off everything. That and the dudes who ran it were like super tryhard dudes that made sure they had a stacked team every week and played like they were in the Stanley Cup Finals. I could kind of get the quick turn/stop thing going but never got the hang of really getting start/stops to effectively use them. I also didn't invest more than like $50 on rollerblades and thus the wheels I had were whatever the hell comes on $50 inline skates. Maybe I bailed on it too quickly but with year round ice readily available my hips were more than happy to give up on inline hockey.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nothing like going to a game at 10pm on a Sunday only to find out the other team didn't bother to show up, nor tell anybody. They get the same emails we do. Bastards.

It wasn't all bad though. We ended up scrimmaging for nearly 2 hours, and even had a additional goalie and a couple of others guys from the game prior stay to play us. My legs were toast afterwards, but it was worth it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

At least you made up lost time with a scrimmage. They did give you a forfeit, right?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

bigbillystyle posted:

That is basically why I gave up roller hockey. My hips were getting destroyed. Banging the boards, banging the ground, just banging off everything. That and the dudes who ran it were like super tryhard dudes that made sure they had a stacked team every week and played like they were in the Stanley Cup Finals. I could kind of get the quick turn/stop thing going but never got the hang of really getting start/stops to effectively use them. I also didn't invest more than like $50 on rollerblades and thus the wheels I had were whatever the hell comes on $50 inline skates. Maybe I bailed on it too quickly but with year round ice readily available my hips were more than happy to give up on inline hockey.

Haha, with year round ice i'd never touch roller hockey again, so I see your point. My memories of roller hockey was a lot of bruising and general soreness as everyone I played with couldn't stop to well anyway. Wheels are really important for how you skate too, so if you ever did get back into it, talk to someone about wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Roller is only worth playing if they bring back Pro Beach Hockey. In fact PBH resolved that whole banging your hip into the end boards by making the area behind the net an elevated ramp.

Loqieu fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 15, 2016