Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You don't know what the poo poo you are even saying here.

Read between the lines ya dumb gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Friendly Humour posted:

Read between the lines ya dumb gently caress

It's gibberish even between the lines. You have no loving clue what you're saying and it shows. The EU bureaucracy is nothing like the U.S. federal government in any way that matters in the real world for the purposes of defense policy.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's gibberish even between the lines. You have no loving clue what you're saying and it shows. The EU bureaucracy is nothing like the U.S. federal government.

Cool!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Thank you for conceding the point.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sarcasm is lost on the american, what a scoop.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Friendly Humour posted:

Sarcasm is lost on the american, what a scoop.

Behind the sarcasm was the acknowledgement that you didn't know what the gently caress you were talking about. If you had, you wouldn't have tried such and idiotic and fatuous argument as HURR EU = US HURR.

Your opinions are on the level of the average Daily Mail/National Tabloid For Idiots online commentator.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The reason why the EU doesn't have a unitary military is because the EU has no considerable military threats. We don't need it because we're not psychotically fearful of Russia. They ain't gonna attack the EU. Whether or not the EU can be categorized as a "state" is irrelevant to the question of European military might.

Get it now? I WAS MOCKING YOU. Jesus loving christ, take your ritalin man.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PS: The ritalin was a dig at your glaring autismal paroxysms about correct use of language

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The total size of the EU military budget is a non-starter if every single member nation's military is non-functional owing to lack of funding. I thought that would be obvious to such a superior non-autistic intellect such as yourself.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 12, 2016

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Yeah EU doesn't equal US no way no how militarily.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

more reasons to federalise, establish fiscal transfers, build a gently caress off huge wall on the external borders and enforce strict immigration laws for non eu folk and have a unified army.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

awesome-express posted:

more reasons to federalise, establish fiscal transfers, build a gently caress off huge wall on the external borders and enforce strict immigration laws for non eu folk and have a unified army.
The problem being that half the EU despises the other half as untermensch unworthy of GLORIOUS DEUTSCHLAND's coveted tax moneys.

Also having Greeks and/or Italians in your army post-Christ is not a recipe for success.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

awesome-express posted:

But there isn't. Despite Russia's dick-waving and general asshattery in Ukraine and the rest, the military threat that Russia poses to EU is negligible. They aren't going to attack and everybody knows this, so there is little pressure to turn our national armies into a federate one. Nevermind the question of how on Earth you that would even be practically possible, or politically feasible.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The EU is made of up a large number of different cultures, languages and countries that want to remain independent. It's not like it's a collection of US-like states that for some silly reason just lack a federal government. It's more like, I dunno, if you decided to mash up the US, Canada, Mexico, maybe throw in Brazil and some smaller states, all into one big country.

Coercing countries together isn't really something you could expect to go well. Besides its total lack of feasibility (for now - who knows what might happen in the far future), I really don't see a big problem with keeping it as a union of independent countries. Basically I think they're close enough for peaceful coexistence and cooperation but not nearly close enough for federalization.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Federalizing the European military poses a lot of problems.

The first: language. In the United States, English is basically everyone's native language; in Europe every country has its own language. You could still go with English since it's a common second language, but it'd be a second language. It's less of a problem at the officer level since they're supposed to have good education, including at least a couple of foreign languages.

The second: fragmented military industrial complex. Countries would never agree on their requirements, and when they do agree it's even worse because they'd fight to get stuff built by their own industries. For examples of the outcome, see NH90 Tiger and Eurofighter Typhoon.

The third: NATO. Most EU countries are also in NATO, and some of them would see a European unification of military forces as being either redundant with NATO, or detrimental to it.

There are certainly efforts that can be done (and are already done to some extent, see stuff like OCCAR or EATC) to rationalize European defense, but a federal army isn't going to be it, at least not anytime soon.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Friendly Humour posted:

But there isn't. Despite Russia's dick-waving and general asshattery in Ukraine and the rest, the military threat that Russia poses to EU is negligible. They aren't going to attack and everybody knows this, so there is little pressure to turn our national armies into a federate one. Nevermind the question of how on Earth you that would even be practically possible, or politically feasible.

This is purely because of NATO (read: US protection) and has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU's military might or Putin's reluctance to start poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention the inability to actually conquer Europe doesn't really need to stop him from trying. He's got away with everything so far, the message seems pretty clear.

e: I'm saying that as a Czech - fairly sure I'm not the only one who feels their country would easily be sacrificed in the name of peace. Again. So no, the fact the EU in total could defeat Russia isn't reassuring in the slightest.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 12, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While the organizational structures that NATO has really aren't there for the EU, the common defense pact is as fundamental to the EU charter as it is for NATO. American arrogance over their overbloated World Police Imperial Guard is to be expected but it's ridiculous to treat the EU as a sick man when it comes to military might. NATO or no, it's the EU that ensured the independence of certain baltic countries after Jeltsin era. Russia by that point could've just marched in and there would've been jack poo poo America could've done about it on its own.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

redscare posted:

This is purely because of NATO (read: US protection) and has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU's military might or Putin's reluctance to start poo poo.

Just as a little reminder, two of the EU countries have their own nuclear deterrent, thank you very much.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

anilEhilated posted:

So no, the fact the EU in total could defeat Russia isn't reassuring in the slightest.

I seriously doubt that, all European countries have militaries that have been optimized for peacekeeping operations in the years since 1989 and have done away with most of the stuff needed against a modern army. Like only Germany and Italy having any anti radar missiles or the UAE having more French made modern tanks then the French or British army.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CeeJee posted:

I seriously doubt that, all European countries have militaries that have been optimized for peacekeeping operations in the years since 1989 and have done away with most of the stuff needed against a modern army. Like only Germany and Italy having any anti radar missiles or the UAE having more French made modern tanks then the French or British army.

Tanks and anti-tank missiles can be bought when necessary before the existing reserves would run out in the event of an all out war, and as we've seen with the Arab adventures in conquering Israel, initial materiel supremacy doesn't count for much if your people are primarily poorly trained conscripts. The US is in no way irrelevant to EU military affairs, but it's still the EU that's the primary counterweight to Putin's ambitions, not America. While the state of EU national militaries is mostly deplorable, I don't really see how that makes the US anything but an ally when it comes to security matters against Russia. Push comes to shove, US opinion doesn't decide if the EU goes to war.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Just as a little reminder, two of the EU countries have their own nuclear deterrent, thank you very much.

A nuclear deterrent is pretty useless when you're going up against a country that has their own very large nuclear deterrent. Russia would wipe the floor with Europe in a conventional war, no one is going to nuke anyone. The most important aspect to Europe's security is NATO and American hegemony.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Typical Goon posted:

A nuclear deterrent is pretty useless when you're going up against a country that has their own very large nuclear deterrent. Russia would wipe the floor with Europe in a conventional war, no one is going to nuke anyone. The most important aspect to Europe's security is NATO and American hegemony.

Easy, don't nuke Russia directly, just nuke Russian troops as they go through Ukraine.

And in a purely conventional war, I doubt the Russian troops would be as good as you claim they'd be. We've seen them fight in Georgia, Ukraine, and Syria; they are terrible.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Easy, don't nuke Russia directly, just nuke Russian troops as they go through Ukraine.

And in a purely conventional war, I doubt the Russian troops would be as good as you claim they'd be. We've seen them fight in Georgia, Ukraine, and Syria; they are terrible.

Nuking Russian troops would lead to a full nuclear response from Russia, hence it wouldn't happen. Nobody is gonna drop nukes on another nation that can retaliate in kind.

Just because Russia is terrible militarily does not mean they still couldn't wipe the floor with European militaries. These are not mutually exclusive things.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Friendly Humour posted:

Tanks and anti-tank missiles can be bought when necessary before the existing reserves would run out in the event of an all out war, and as we've seen with the Arab adventures in conquering Israel, initial materiel supremacy doesn't count for much if your people are primarily poorly trained conscripts. The US is in no way irrelevant to EU military affairs, but it's still the EU that's the primary counterweight to Putin's ambitions, not America. While the state of EU national militaries is mostly deplorable, I don't really see how that makes the US anything but an ally when it comes to security matters against Russia. Push comes to shove, US opinion doesn't decide if the EU goes to war.

The Russian tank horde could literally drive across Europe while taking occasional potshots at Leopard 2s dead in a ditch because nobody spent money on maintaining their engines. Building a sufficiently large European tank horde would take years so the only quick response would be to buy surplus Abrams from America.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it's time to drive this topic into a ditch.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Soiled Meat
Personally I think you are grossly overestimating the size of the actually combat capable Russian military vs. the dead weight being kept on paper.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Typical Goon posted:

Nuking Russian troops would lead to a full nuclear response from Russia, hence it wouldn't happen.

And then Russia can say bye-bye to Moscow, St. Petersburg, and every other large enough city. They got the choice between accepting their losses abroad or destroying their country, they don't go for MAD.

A Typical Goon posted:

Nobody is gonna drop nukes on another nation that can retaliate in kind.
That's why if you mount a purely conventional invasion of Russia, they won't use nukes? LOL

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Russian tank horde would be swiftly defeated by the Hussars.

Obviously.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

And then Russia can say bye-bye to Moscow, St. Petersburg, and every other large enough city. They got the choice between accepting their losses abroad or destroying their country, they don't go for MAD.

That's why if you mount a purely conventional invasion of Russia, they won't use nukes? LOL

The same principle applies to European nukes though. If France/the UK nuked Russian armies in Western Europe there goes London/Paris. That's the whole point of a nuclear deterrent.

This whole thread is getting to Clancey for me anyway. Nobody is getting into a hot war with each other, but if it did happen somehow no one would ever use nukes against a nuclear capable foe. It's just too risky and no one wants to be vaporized over loving Ukraine or whatever Clancey scenario that you're imagining.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Friendly Humour posted:

The reason why the EU doesn't have a unitary military is because the EU has no considerable military threats. We don't need it because we're not psychotically fearful of Russia. They ain't gonna attack the EU.
Why not?

just because it would be a rude thing to do?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pigdog posted:

Why not?

It would be incredibly rude.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Russia would sure roll over Europe if only it wasn't so occupied with trying not to implode.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

There are certainly efforts that can be done (and are already done to some extent, see stuff like OCCAR or EATC) to rationalize European defense, but a federal army isn't going to be it, at least not anytime soon.

Also one of the largest militaries in the EU is the UK's and we're currently having a referendum on whether we even want to be in the EU at all. I can only imagine how the tabloids would react if there was some proposal to put the UK's armed forces under the authority of the European Commission, it would be hilarious.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pigdog posted:

Why not?

Their current economical woes will be a fart against the wind compared to consequences of direct military aggression against their largest customer.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

The same principle applies to European nukes though. If France/the UK nuked Russian armies in Western Europe there goes London/Paris. That's the whole point of a nuclear deterrent.

This whole thread is getting to Clancey for me anyway. Nobody is getting into a hot war with each other, but if it did happen somehow no one would ever use nukes against a nuclear capable foe. It's just too risky and no one wants to be vaporized over loving Ukraine or whatever Clancey scenario that you're imagining.

It is considered rude to bomb civilian targets in response to attacks on military assets. Generally speaking we don't blow up a random house every time a tank gets blowed up - it is not obvious why we would blow up lots of houses if lots of tanks got exploded. Don't use your military if you don't want it to get bombed.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

A Typical Goon posted:

This isn't how a nuclear deterrent works. Depending on who you ask the Soviet Union could have wiped the floor with Europe in a conventional war at some points of the Cold War. They never did because there was an understanding that doing so would cause a nuclear response. If you get attacked, you nuke them, that's the whole point of a nuclear deterrent.

A Typical Goon posted:

Nuking Russian troops would lead to a full nuclear response from Russia, hence it wouldn't happen. Nobody is gonna drop nukes on another nation that can retaliate in kind.
You're right it would likely escalate into full nuclear war, but I think you're wrong that Russian troops wouldn't get nuked. The fact that a conventional attack will very likely lead to nuclear war where everyone loses is what fundamentally keeps Russia from attacking. (Even if they otherwise wanted to, which isn't really the case.) That's how the deterrent works. There's no point in having one if you aren't willing to use it.

e: There's a nice quote on Wikipedia

quote:

In his book La paix nucléaire (1975), French Navy Admiral Marc de Joybert explained deterrence as:

"Sir, I have no quarrel with you, but I warn you in advance and with all possible clarity that if you invade me, I shall answer at the only credible level for my scale, which is the nuclear level. Whatever your defenses, you shan't prevent at least some of my missiles from reaching your home and causing the devastation that you are familiar with. So, renounce your endeavour and let us remain good friends."

Elukka fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 12, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Russian offensive capabilities are extremely limited and they have absolutely no intentions of getting into a shooting war with any European nation. Their military is very badly equipped and trained and ten years ago they couldn't even feed and cloth it properly, due to massive corruption. Just look at how overstretched they were in Georgia and how overstretched they are in eastern Ukraine.

It's all just ridiculous Clancy chat, like Mexico invading the US.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry america, looks like you don't get save europe from the nazis again. Keep up the spirit tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Spirit or not, please keep Clancy chat (i.e. any in-depth discussions of nuclear war between whomever) out of the thread.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Please continue to observe the No Clancy Chat policy.