Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
My last foray into Nintendo products was the original run of the original DS. I just got an old 3DS XL from my brother who upgraded to a new one and I'm wondering what some must have eshop titles are. I've picked up the Ace Attorney trilogy but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

nozh posted:

My last foray into Nintendo products was the original run of the original DS. I just got an old 3DS XL from my brother who upgraded to a new one and I'm wondering what some must have eshop titles are. I've picked up the Ace Attorney trilogy but that's it.

BoxBoy

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

nozh posted:

Out Run 3D, Steam World Dig and Heist, Super Hang On, the Picross games, and Cave Story are all really good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any of the Sega 3D ports are great depending on how much you enjoyed the original games. Streets of Rage 2 and Gunstar Heroes are my personal favourites.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I downgraded my New 3DS XL successfully then I tried to downgrade bae's old 3DS XL, accidentally used the New 3DS cias and bricked it :whitewater:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I downgraded my New 3DS XL successfully then I tried to downgrade bae's old 3DS XL, accidentally used the New 3DS cias and bricked it :whitewater:

3DS Homebrew Thread: Bricked my device and my relationship

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

nozh posted:

Pushmo if you're into puzzle games for sure

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's what you get for being greedy. :colbert:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

bae caught you slippin

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Might be able to go into recovery and get it back up to 10.6

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

nozh posted:

Boxboy is a pretty neat puzzle platformer.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Just got my card blocked because I tried to buy two things in a row on the eShop and Nintendo's online stuff is all registered in Germany. I wouldn't have had to if it had crazy things like a shopping basket or some way of adding money in between £20 and freaking £50 in one go.

If you don't have any money on your account, when you buy something it lets you add the exact amount of what you're buying.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Might be able to go into recovery and get it back up to 10.6
nope, recovery mode won't launch. Well, she lost my old 3DS which is why I got a New in the first place, so we're even now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DoctorX posted:

If you don't have any money on your account, when you buy something it lets you add the exact amount of what you're buying.

Yes but I wanted to buy two separate items totalling £34.98 without adding £50 to my account. I could have added two £20 but would have had the exact same thing happen

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes but I wanted to buy two separate items totalling £34.98 without adding £50 to my account. I could have added two £20 but would have had the exact same thing happen

But you can buy one of these items adding the exact amount it costs and then buy the other one adding the exact amount too and the result is you have both items and spent exactly £34.98.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did your bank locked your card because you tried to do two purchases on the same store on the same day? That's a weird thing to happen.

The eShop is ready to do that sort of thing, obviously, since it doesn't have a cart. Thankfully it allows people to add the exact amount of each purchase no matter if it's a Theathrhythm 1€ song or 18€ something videogame. It's just tedious if you want to buy more than two things at once because it takes forever to go through all the steps.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorX posted:

But you can buy one of these items adding the exact amount it costs and then buy the other one adding the exact amount too and the result is you have both items and spent exactly £34.98.

The issue was having two foreign transactions so close together locked the card.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

jivjov posted:

The issue was having two foreign transactions so close together locked the card.

Oh, right. I thought they were complaining about having to spend more than the exact amount.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

Is that common? I never had that happen and I do that sort of thing more frequently than I am happy to acknowledge (i.e., buy too much sometimes more than once from the same place).

I did hear it used to happen to people buying things from GOG because they do their credit stuff through Cyprus, and that's a "weird" country so I can see why it would be flagged. But Germany?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

nozh posted:

The Gunman Clive games are a cheap, fun little pair of shooty platformers. Pokemon Link: Battle! is a neat match 3 puzzle game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You could've went to the purchase screen of a game that's £35 to fund your wallet with that amount then cancelled* + used the funds to buy the two games

*I don't know if this works please don't try it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

You could've went to the purchase screen of a game that's £35 to fund your wallet with that amount then cancelled* + used the funds to buy the two games

It actually does, but I never imagined it would actually be proposed as a solution to go around weird banks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Help Im Alive posted:

This would work. The "add funds" step is completely distinct from the actual purchase step.

Not the most ideal way to go about it, but workable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saoshyant posted:

Is that common? I never had that happen and I do that sort of thing more frequently than I am happy to acknowledge (i.e., buy too much sometimes more than once from the same place).

I did hear it used to happen to people buying things from GOG because they do their credit stuff through Cyprus, and that's a "weird" country so I can see why it would be flagged. But Germany?

Happens every month to me on pay day. :v:

Guy on the phone said that transactions like that were how people 'test' to see if whatever details they've stolen work, dunno if that was just a standard line.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Have Wii Sports Club gold passes ever been discounted on the eShop? I'm thinking about getting one, but $40 total for the game seems a little steep.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spoderman posted:

Have Wii Sports Club gold passes ever been discounted on the eShop? I'm thinking about getting one, but $40 total for the game seems a little steep.

Nope. Sometimes they give out free 24 hour passes though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe, like, once. You probably have a better chance of finding a discounted copy of the retail version or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 17):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pokken Tournament - €59.99 / £49.99 (March 18)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Mutant Mudds Super Challenge - €8.49 / £7.64 if you own Mutant Mudds or downloaded the nindies@home demo, standard price €9.99 / £8.99 (cross-buy)
    Paranautical Activity - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Super Mario Advance Special: buy any two eligible games, get the third free! - ends March 24
  • Super Mario Advance
  • Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
  • Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until March 17
    Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) (Wii U eShop) - €4.89 / £4.29 until March 23
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (Wii U eShop) - €6.70 / £5.36 until March 31
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.79 from March March 17-31
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop) - €5.24 / £4.19 from March 17-31
    Nova-111 (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.79 from March 17-31
    OlliOlli (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.19 from March 17-31
    Pumped BMX + (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.19 from March 17-31
    Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.19 from March 17-31
    Ultratron (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.19 from March 17-31
    The Swapper (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.79 from March 17-31
    The Swindle (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £4.79 from March 17-31

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Mutant Mudds Super Challenge - €8.49 / £7.64 if you own Mutant Mudds or downloaded the nindies@home demo, standard price €9.99 / £8.99 (cross-buy)
    Petit Novel series - Harvest December (demo)
NEW 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    F-ZERO (SNES) - €3.99 / £3.59 until March 24 if you own Super Mario Kart on New 3DS, standard price €7.99/ £7.19
    Super Mario Kart (SNES) - €3.99 / £3.59 until March 24 if you own F-ZERO on New 3DS, standard price €7.99/ £7.19
3DS MENU THEMES (March 18)
    Shantae Pirate Theme - €1.99 / £1.59
    Shantae Rottytops Theme - €1.99 / £1.59
    Mighty Switch Force Theme - €1.99 / £1.59
    Blast 'em Bunnies Bundle - €4.99 / £2.99
    Blast 'em Bunnies Zombie Theme - €1.99 / £1.29
    Blast 'em Bunnies Luchador Theme - €1.99 / £1.29
    Blast 'em Bunnies Urban Theme - €1.99 / £1.29
    Blast 'em Bunnies Ninja Theme - €1.99 / £1.29
    Maya the Bee - €0.99 / £0.89
    Miffy & Stars - €0.99 / £0.89
    Miffy & Ducks - €0.99 / £0.89
    Miffy & Sun - €0.99 / £0.89
    Winx Music & Magic: Dancing to the rhythm of the magic - €1.99 / £1.79
    Winter in Centopia - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New 3DS SNES VC Promotion #2 - own either Super Metroid or Zelda LTTP, get the other for half off until March 17
    Rune Factory 4 (3DS eShop) - €19.99 / £17.49 until March 17
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €2.24 / £1.85 until March 17
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - €8.99 / £7.49 until March 17
    Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - €3.49 / £3.10 until March 17
    Fairune (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until March 17
    The Delusions of Von Sotterdorf and His Square Mind (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £7.19 until March 17
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until March 17
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until March 31
    Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS eShop) - €17.99 / £14.99 from March 17-31
    Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies (3DS eShop) - €11.24 / £8.99 from March 17-31
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £4.04 from March 17-31
    OlliOlli (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.19 from March 17-31

If you wanted more Mutant Mudds then congratulations, here's More Mutant Mudds!

GAME has Pokken Tournament for 40GBP, both digital and retail (which also comes with a Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card): http://www.game.co.uk/en/pokken-tournament-895291?pageSize=40&categoryIdentifier=1054107&catGroupId=

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 14, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's weird was I downloaded the original Mutant Muds and really liked it, but when I played the demo for the second one I kind of thought it was bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, SmileBASIC (BASIC coding app for 3DS) is $4.99 until the 21st!

The devs are at GDC and will be announcing something there, presumably SmileBASIC BIG for Wii U.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The devs are at GDC and will be announcing something there, presumably SmileBASIC BIG for Wii U.

And hopefully the EU release dates.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Has anyone made any cool app using it yet?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Rirse posted:

Yeah, totally. It hasn't been updated in a while but there's a list in the op of this thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747033 You can probably find more if you scour Miiverse (there's a Japanese and English community so check both). Solid Gunner was one of my favorites from around launch.

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/655329203156590592

It's totally worth $5 just to download and play some games, imo

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 14, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

These are the launch countries/languages mentioned by Nintendo at their last investors briefing:

Yeah, gently caress eastern/northern europe! How does Russia get this thing and we don't???

I guess it seems they will want to translate into the country's language before they release it there, but I have the sinking feeling that it's just not ever going to happen, like club nintendo never happened here either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not uncommon for mobile games to launch in a limited number of countries and slowly branch out in order to mitigate server issues or whatever.

The My Nintendo service is confirmed to launch in 39 countries, including some that weren't a part of Club Nintendo:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On the 17th or is the date not fully confirmed yet?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Right, it's not confirmed but the 17th JPT is the assumed date.

3DS just got a firmware update, by the way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rirse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4DgpofFd-A

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wayforward has confirmed Shantae Risky's Revenge Director's Cut (Wii U) will be out in Europe next week (March 24), US announcement "soon".

Risky's Revenge is the second game in the series, originally released on DSiWare. The one that's already on Wii U (Pirate's Curse) is game #3, the still-not-out-yet Kickstarter game (Half-Genie Hero) is game #4.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Out today on the Wii U VC in Japan: Game & Watch Gallery 4 (GBA), a game that's coming to Japan for the first time with an authentic JP localisation.

Next week's JP Wii U VC games: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red & Blue (GBA & DS), Cho Aniki (PC Engine).