Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

krampster2 posted:

I swear to you on Goodreads I've never seen a book above 4.2, It seems everything ranks between 3.8 and 4.2. Also for some reason so many of the classics have really low ratings (frustrated school kids?). I don't understand the people who rate books on that site.

it's actually pretty easy to find high rated books if you just read insane literary fiction that like three people read, because those three people will tend to think the book is cool anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Based on Goodread's Best of 2015 awards I'm guessing that their entire active user base is made of the sort of middle aged suburban white women who watch a lot of morning talk shows and are convinced that they are allergic to both gluten and msg.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Based on Goodread's Best of 2015 awards I'm guessing that their entire active user base is made of the sort of middle aged suburban white women who watch a lot of morning talk shows and are convinced that they are allergic to both gluten and msg.

actually, that is a description of the average American book consumer. Goodreads skews slightly younger.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I just don't understand the use of any sort of metrics in reviews for anything really. Is the star level on a book review supposed to be like some sort of TL;DR summary for the review itself? Are you going to be bothered to read the entire book if you can't even read a short review?

It also must be super annoying as a reviewer trying to put a number on it when you have lots of both positive and negative opinions on the product and have to try and find some sort of score that sits in the middle. I'd just rather read the whole review to see if the opinions expressed concern me or not. Because for example if a reviewer disliked a book because of an offence to their political views that are not an offence to mine (please no one write anything political that I don't agree with, it's very scary!) then it doesn't matter and I can disregard the star rating.

It's also a bad influence when you've convinced yourself you want to buy something, because you'll be more biased towards reading the positive reviews. I'll admit I fall for this all the time on Amazon.

krampster2 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 11, 2016

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I read a lot of non-fic, and any book that is critical of, say, an Arab country or Islam will have a ton of one star reviews by dudes with names written in arabic script. Works for any other religion/ideology too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Most non-famous authors I've seen on goodreads tend to hang out in groups and get feedback there, and then more often than not the members of said group all head out and wall of text review on release.

Goodreads changed the navigation bar today. On going to the blog to point out that they forgot to include a link to the blog anywhere on it, I came across a load of people bitching and moaning that the site is "too white" and it's giving people headaches. Wut.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like to read one star Goodreads reviews for good books because it tells me how powerful the book is

For instance if it has deliberately unlikeable characters or heck even characters that make bad decisions then it's incredibly powerful

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't know how some people manage to turn a computer on tbh. The sheer quantity of drama fallout from goodreads changing the navigation bar at the top and shifting some of the options round today has been staggering. It's not exactly shocking that all the whining is coming from people over 50. There are also a fair few people who are utterly convinced that the site is now "too white" and it is giving them headaches - a number of them hold the unshakable belief that the site has turned the brightness up on their monitor. They are DEMANDING! DEMANDING, I SAY, that it is put back to how it was before.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

quote:

Ugh. Tried again. Guess it's genuine. Sorry, but I can't stand to read Navokov. Sad, as I like the classicists.
- from one of the one star reviews of Pale Fire.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I don't know how some people manage to turn a computer on tbh. The sheer quantity of drama fallout from goodreads changing the navigation bar at the top and shifting some of the options round today has been staggering. It's not exactly shocking that all the whining is coming from people over 50. There are also a fair few people who are utterly convinced that the site is now "too white" and it is giving them headaches - a number of them hold the unshakable belief that the site has turned the brightness up on their monitor. They are DEMANDING! DEMANDING, I SAY, that it is put back to how it was before.

I used to manage a lot of the online community / review sections of the B&N.com website and this sort of thing is routine. We once did a very slight redesign, and in spite of the fact that there was absolutely no change to the font size or style as part of the redesign, a faction of the old&loud contingent were OUTRAGED about the "new font size" and demanding that we make the font bigger in addition to reversing all of the other changes. Some of these people would write several page long hand-written letters to the CEO of Barnes&Noble about this stuff, which would inevitably make their way to my desk months after whatever change they were whining about had gone through.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Earwicker posted:

I used to manage a lot of the online community / review sections of the B&N.com website and this sort of thing is routine. We once did a very slight redesign, and in spite of the fact that there was absolutely no change to the font size or style as part of the redesign, a faction of the old&loud contingent were OUTRAGED about the "new font size" and demanding that we make the font bigger in addition to reversing all of the other changes. Some of these people would write several page long hand-written letters to the CEO of Barnes&Noble about this stuff, which would inevitably make their way to my desk months after whatever change they were whining about had gone through.

The best about this is that the font size can be manually adjusted by just holding alt and spinning the mouse wheel

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

mcustic posted:

nabokov stuff

While reading the WIkipedia article on Nabokov to see if I could make a dumb joke about him actually having been a classicist because of having a degree in Latin & Greek or something, I learned that he was super into butterflies and even curated the butterfly collection at Harvard's Museum of Comparative Zoology for a while.

You learn something new every day!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The best about this is that the font size can be manually adjusted by just holding alt and spinning the mouse wheel

AND NOW I HAVE TO BUY A "MOUSE WHEEL" TO USE THIS WEB-SITE. I GOOGLED THE "MOUSE WHEEL" AND I DO NOT HAVE THAT TYPE OF MOUSE!! YOU SHOULD NOT ASK YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS TO HAVE TO BUY A NEW MOUSE AND WE ARE DEMANDING AGAIN THAT YOU CHANGE THE FONT SIZE BACK TO BEING READABLE. I AM GOING TO RETURN THE BOOK I GAVE TO MY DAUGHTER WHICH I LOYALLY PURCHASED AT YOUR STORE IN APRIL OF 1994.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

quote:

This book is bloated old piece of crap. How this even got published in the first place is beyond me, much less how it has been considered a 'classic' for years.

I had read that this was 1400 pages of Tolstoy giving his readers a dry, boring recount of the French invasion of Russia but I didn't believe it. I wish I had believed it. Not only is War and Peace a sleep-inducing lecture on way too many perspectives of this war, it also comes complete with Tolstoy's never-ending butt-in chapters that he uses to force his opinion on us of France, Napoleon, Alexander, Russia itself, religion, politics, love, family, and anything else that apparently came to his mind.

This was worse than a textbook. This was a textbook that came with the annoying, opinionated professor built in! The only slightly interesting parts of this book were the lives of Natasha and Ellen and that only accounts for maybe 15% of the total. This book is so bad it has two epilogues. That right there should be warning enough to you to stay far, far away from War and Peace. Don't be as dumb as me.

I wish I had never picked this up. I am an angrier, more cynical person for it. If Tolstoy wasn't already dead, I would wish him so.

quote:

The Odyssey was better than the Iliad, maybe 2 stars.

This is awesome, I am really enjoying the reviews.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
You could start a business where you go to people's houses and adjust the display settings for individual websites and applications.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

AND NOW I HAVE TO BUY A "MOUSE WHEEL" TO USE THIS WEB-SITE. I GOOGLED THE "MOUSE WHEEL" AND I DO NOT HAVE THAT TYPE OF MOUSE!! YOU SHOULD NOT ASK YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS TO HAVE TO BUY A NEW MOUSE AND WE ARE DEMANDING AGAIN THAT YOU CHANGE THE FONT SIZE BACK TO BEING READABLE. I AM GOING TO RETURN THE BOOK I GAVE TO MY DAUGHTER WHICH I LOYALLY PURCHASED AT YOUR STORE IN APRIL OF 1994.
Google's got you covered.

e: Wait what

quote:

This book is so bad it has two epilogues.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 11, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Be very very grateful that you don't have to do that now Earwicker. http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1386311/sainsburys-takes-nook-e-books-business-uk

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Amazing.

quote:

Dear Goodreads,
I know changes are sometimes necessary. I've accepted that. I've accepted the new fonts and colours. I will accept the new navigation buttons too. But did you have to kill the pretty book spines visible at the very top of the site?! It gave this site character. Now it looks half-dead!
Please stop making everything worse with every single update instead of making things better (I'm still waiting for my status updates to be editable)!
Oh, and while you're at it: if I tell you I want to see ALL posts/reviews/comments/likes/whatever from ALL of my friends, then I mean ALL OF THEM! No filtering!
Thanks.
Sincerely,
a sobbing user

edit: I for one am glad you can't see everything a friend posts, you used to be able to see all posts by user in a group and my dad used to follow me round commenting on everything after I did, now he only does it when I show up in his feed. He has very little in his life since he retired.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 11, 2016

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Anyone actually know someone who is an active Goodreads user? It seems like an unrewarding chore to constantly be adding titles and reviews to your page.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Anyone actually know someone who is an active Goodreads user? It seems like an unrewarding chore to constantly be adding titles and reviews to your page.

I am semi-active in that I upload a batch of titles every couple months or so, mostly just to keep track of what I've read and when and maybe get a couple recommendations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, I mostly use it to keep track of books I want to read at some point in the future, since otherwise I just forget about them or write them down somewhere (which I also forget about).

Also sometimes I get a notice that the site is giving away a few copies of some random book I want to read, and although I haven't gotten lucky yet, someday, perhaps...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My family use it instead of facebook/letters/emails because the messaging part is really basic and it's easy to set up for old people. If you think the younger members of the family agreed on this method of communication because no one's grandma can see you are online and open a chat box you would be correct.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I use it to log the books I've read and to mark the ones I want to read. It's not bad for that. Also, a lot of goons up there, and a somewhat decent system of recommendations based on your shelves or genre preferences.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I don't know how some people manage to turn a computer on tbh
I have this thought about most book barn posters

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mcustic posted:

I read a lot of non-fic, and any book that is critical of, say, an Arab country or Islam will have a ton of one star reviews by dudes with names written in arabic script. Works for any other religion/ideology too.
Islam, Biblical Minimalism, Azerbaijan. All really polarizing topics if you read Amazon reviews.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Islam, Biblical Minimalism, Azerbaijan. All really polarizing topics if you read Amazon reviews.

I had no idea Biblical Minimalism was a thing, and now I'm hooked. Any book recommendations?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I try to keep the bible to a minimum myself ohohohohohoho

/dawkins

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

nerdpony posted:

While reading the WIkipedia article on Nabokov to see if I could make a dumb joke about him actually having been a classicist because of having a degree in Latin & Greek or something, I learned that he was super into butterflies and even curated the butterfly collection at Harvard's Museum of Comparative Zoology for a while.

You learn something new every day!

That's like... the second thing to know about Nab, after "probably a closet peado."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, I'm asking you guys cause i'm pretty much at the end of my rope.

I vaguely remember a story I read 20+ years ago. I thought it was by Isaac Asimov, but I think I'm wrong now.

The vague details I remember about this story are only two parts. One, is that the characters are having issues with robot brains not taking impressions well, and having huge problems. They find the solution is to let the robots "sleep" which makes the impressions take better.

One of the characters starts a robot with no impression, making it like a child.

Towards the end of the book, this same child robot (now grown) drops rabbit poop into a world spanning ocean on another planet and the planet looks like it will start becoming sentient.

Does this ring ANY bells for anyone? I've been trying to remember this book for the last year with no success.

The Guest
Mar 14, 2016

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but there's no un-archived thread for American Gods.

Am I supposed to know what the hell I'm reading? I get that the leprechaun was actually a leprechaun (apparently) but then there's a woman that eats you with her vagina and fifty other people who are magic and I don't know what the christ any of that is. Did you need to grow up in Europe to catch all these vague references of what these people really are? Does it even matter to the story if you know or not, or does it eventually get spelled out for you plainly like the leprechaun?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

From a brief shufty over the wikipedia plot, they seem to be Norse and Egyptian dieties along with a few American folk heroes. I don't really know why guys doing magic would discombobulate you so though. It's a fantasy book. Pretend they're superheros if that makes it any easier for you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

alternatively don't read Neil Gaiman thats also a solid piece of advice right there

The Guest
Mar 14, 2016

Mr. Squishy posted:

From a brief shufty over the wikipedia plot, they seem to be Norse and Egyptian dieties along with a few American folk heroes. I don't really know why guys doing magic would discombobulate you so though. It's a fantasy book. Pretend they're superheros if that makes it any easier for you.

That's not the problem, the problem is that there are an ever increasing number of characters that have wink wink, nudge nudge descriptions about who they are, and they've made it clear that it's all kinds of European country's folklore creatures, and I've only been able to guess who 1-2 of them are Odin and leprechaun. Then there's a chapter about a god that eats you with their vagina and I'm stumped because I can't tell if this is something I'm genuinely supposed to recognize about some pantheon god or if they're going to go "Oh she's So And So" later on.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

alternatively don't read Neil Gaiman thats also a solid piece of advice right there

I've seen a lot of goons say this book was supposed to be really good and it has good reviews and a TV show coming up :(

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Oh if there's a TV show being made about then it's got to be good

The Guest
Mar 14, 2016

Ras Het posted:

Oh if there's a TV show being made about then it's got to be good

Even with you being a gimmick shitposter that's a strange takeaway from me saying it's an often recommended goon book and happened to win a substantial amount of awards.

But by all means continue randomly sperging out.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Guest posted:

Even with you being a gimmick shitposter that's a strange takeaway from me saying it's an often recommended goon book and happened to win a substantial amount of awards.

But by all means continue randomly sperging out.

ahahahahahahahha

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ras Het;s Gimmick of not liking bad books

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Nerds who learn runes for fun go crazy about Divine Where's Wally and although many people say Gaimen is good, many others say he's bad. Me, I enjoyed Good Omens when I was 15, so I won't hear a word said against him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Guest posted:

I've seen a lot of goons say this book was supposed to be really good

There's your red flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Eh, I liked it fine when I read it years & years ago. It's just a story about weird old gods and supernatural beings that have to make do with the meager worship/belief they can get.

Vagina vacuum goddess is supposed to be a fertility goddess, I think, but I don't remember if it's spelled out which one she is.