Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

$1k/month seems double the acceptable for a studio, imo, at least as far as prices in my uni town go, but i guess that's normal even for non-sf american cities. as to old houses, i think it takes time. it felt fairly daunting to live in an older house (albeit nowhere near a century old) back when i was 18 and moved abroad for the first time, but now i could see the appeal of it, especially if we talk about 1-2br rent range in something i imagine coinhabitable by more than 2 people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
apartments are like iphones,

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

apartments are like iphones,
fun fact, russians used to take mortages to buy iphones

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kalstrams posted:

$1k/month seems double the acceptable for a studio, imo, at least as far as prices in my uni town go, but i guess that's normal even for non-sf american cities. as to old houses, i think it takes time. it felt fairly daunting to live in an older house (albeit nowhere near a century old) back when i was 18 and moved abroad for the first time, but now i could see the appeal of it, especially if we talk about 1-2br rent range in something i imagine coinhabitable by more than 2 people

http://www.ryanhomes.com/find-your-home/our-communities/pennsylvania/baldwin-whitehall/steeplechase

That's new construction around here. It's garbage

Apr 7, 2003

The "brick" in those brick houses isn't structural. It's a single course over a wood frame for the sake of appearance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

those dont look to inspiring, yea

Citizen Tayne posted:

The "brick" in those brick houses isn't structural. It's a single course over a wood frame for the sake of appearance.
my hometown likes to do this to improve the looks of some of the older houses

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whoa, rose leslie plays in the last witch hunter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVdhj3K3-sc
:laffo:

Apr 7, 2003

kalstrams posted:

those dont look to inspiring, yea

Check the window size. My windows go from ~2 ft above the floor straight to the ceiling. Those are tiny and framed by drywall. lmao

Apr 7, 2003

I need some help here Uk goons, what's the shittiest area of England?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

Check the window size. My windows go from ~2 ft above the floor straight to the ceiling. Those are tiny and framed by drywall. lmao
the window size doesnt seem to be anything particularly special to me, i havent seen windows taller than 4' in my life, as far as residences for normal people go

Apr 7, 2003

kalstrams posted:

the window size doesnt seem to be anything particularly special to me, i havent seen windows taller than 4' in my life, as far as residences for normal people go

hosed up. My bedroom windows are a good 5' wide by 7' high.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

all of it

Apr 7, 2003

BeOSPOS posted:

all of it

Well, the shittiest corner of the cesspool as it were

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Citizen Tayne posted:

if you mean england specifically, probably some council estate in liverpool (example)

if you mean the uk as a whole, probably some council estate in glasgow

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

depends on what you mean by "lovely"

do you mean like super low income or totally rural former mining towns, or crime-ridden urban centers or what

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

depends on what you mean by "lovely"

do you mean like super low income or totally rural former mining towns, or crime-ridden urban centers or what

Boring crappy places that are cheap to live in because no one wants to live there. I wanted to look at property prices and compare them to similar properties in similarly lovely areas in the US.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ibn the last witch hunter vin diesel fights a goon

Apr 7, 2003

coffeetable posted:

if you mean england specifically, probably some council estate in liverpool (example)

if you mean the uk as a whole, probably some council estate in glasgow

lol my standards must be poo poo, that doesn't look bad.

I was reading about houses in the UK in general and it's interesting that the cheap lovely materials that get used a lot here (asphalt roofing shingles, for instance) don't get used there.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Citizen Tayne posted:

Boring crappy places that are cheap to live in because no one wants to live there. I wanted to look at property prices and compare them to similar properties in similarly lovely areas in the US.

for the place i just linked

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/pr...rch_source=home

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

i lived in southampton for a while, worst ive ever been to, even worse than rural latvia

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i bet grantham is pretty cheap

Apr 7, 2003

Where I went to look
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40626777.html

Isn't the median household income in the UK like 24K Bad Teeth Dollars per year? Do most people just never buy a house or something, or is it accepted that you're going to pay most of your income on your mortgage?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol my standards must be poo poo, that doesn't look bad.
that's one of the most deprived areas in the uk. guess that's the benefits of a (fairly) strong welfare state, and a whole bunch of social housing stock built following two world wars

quote:

I was reading about houses in the UK in general and it's interesting that the cheap lovely materials that get used a lot here (asphalt roofing shingles, for instance) don't get used there.
new build is pretty poo poo over here too, but the standard criticism is usually about size rather than quality of construction

Apr 7, 2003

kalstrams posted:

i lived in southampton for a while, worst ive ever been to, even worse than rural latvia

That's what I want to hear, gonna look at that

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Citizen Tayne posted:

Milton keynes

Apr 7, 2003

Okay, that's a little rough

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

Where I went to look
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40626777.html

Isn't the median household income in the UK like 24K Bad Teeth Dollars per year? Do most people just never buy a house or something, or is it accepted that you're going to pay most of your income on your mortgage?
that's fairly nice for a council flat. i think the low end of prices for a multi-bedroom is probably ~£50k. there's a bit of a housing bubble going on now as well, though it's mostly in london

also a lto of the people in these areas will only ever own their house via Right To Buy (a thatcher scheme where social housing tenants' rent was counted towards buying the house from the council. this had lots of unintended consequences)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 13, 2016

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i was in nottingham for a week, and like...it was cold and rainy and walking around you could tell that people lived in 100+ year old walk ups with bathrooms the size of broom closets but there wasn't like...homeless people making GBS threads on the streets (it's really just SF and 3rd world countries) and drug addicts shivering in alleys.

the traditional english slum poverty was a thing of the late 1800s/early 1900s.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

here's some newbuild from my childhood home town. you'll probably find this more familiar

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...d0cf99ff4ac62d3

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i was in nottingham for a week, and like...it was cold and rainy and walking around you could tell that people lived in 100+ year old walk ups with bathrooms the size of broom closets

I would probably feel at home in Nottingham

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so, here's bio on main protagonist of the last witch hunter. finnish witch, male, baltasar "belial" ketola

something something ostrobothnia

Apr 7, 2003

coffeetable posted:

here's some newbuild from my childhood home town. you'll probably find this more familiar

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...d0cf99ff4ac62d3

Pretty similar to Pittsburgh 1940s-50s infill housing. A place near me (Brookline) has PILES of houses like that.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2222-Lynnbrook-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15226_M48678-40028

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
c sunday s:

rib time tho getting a late start to it, they hit the smoker at 3pm so will be ready at 8pm or w/e

glaze for under rub: apple juice, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, yellow mustard and a healthy glob of colman's mustard

action shot

annnnnnd onto the smoker

Sniep fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 13, 2016

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sniep posted:

c sunday s:

rib time tho getting a late start to it, they hit the smoker at 3pm so will be ready at 8pm or w/e

glaze for under rub: apple juice, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, yellow mustard and a healthy glob of colman's mustard

action shot

annnnnnd onto the smoker

that looks pretty good sniep

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hail

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sniep posted:

c sunday s:

action shot

annnnnnd onto the smoker

10/10 for style

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
pass 100/1000

only took 4 hours lol. maybe ill try it on one of those amazon g2 instances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
c portland s: it's legitimately difficult to tell who's homeless and who isn't here.

• Locked thread