Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haha no I haven't read that. But it's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is the 10th anniversary edition of Elantris worth reading? I held off on getting the novel originally since it seemed to be viewed as pretty bad due to being his first work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is the 10th anniversary edition of Elantris worth reading? I held off on getting the novel originally since it seemed to be viewed as pretty bad due to being his first work.

Nothing big was changed in the special edition. Mostly just a bunch of little plot details that imdb would put under 'inconsistencies/goofs', some of the worst writing quirks were tightened up, and there are a few bonus features like a two-page hoid epilogue, an Ars Arcanum, and a couple deleted scene postmortems. Basically expect it to be around 'mistborn 1' level of writing.

Might as well read it, it's not a bad book, and while he's a bit too insistent on giving three PoV characters equal screentime, at least they're different enough that you'll like at least one of them.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

It was ok.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The first few chapters are really slow, which is pretty common for new authors.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Is it too late to comment on that cover art? Because it is tragic beyond compare.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Benson Cunningham posted:

Is it too late to comment on that cover art? Because it is tragic beyond compare.

Post a screenshot, and I will join in complaining.

fake edit: Do we make a new thread when Stormlight 3 comes out?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah slapping even more logos to cover up more of the quite nice original cover art is pretty lame.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Talking about this one:

It's like a 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons page splash.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I find that art entirely in keeping with the tone of Sanderson works.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I thought he said that wasn't cover art, just something he had an artist draw up to show what the characters look like?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Daveski posted:

I thought he said that wasn't cover art, just something he had an artist draw up to show what the characters look like?

This is correct.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

This is correct.

Good, because the one guy's right knee is really freaking me out. It looks like it's bending backwards.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Talking about this one:

I'd say it's a MOBA-themed title but there's 5 characters in the image.

Sure as hell looks like LoL(?) artwork though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Good, because the one guy's right knee is really freaking me out. It looks like it's bending backwards.

The girl in the cowboy hat (with a bazooka?) I assume you mean. Yeah, and she's standing on a rock that is clearly far in front of the rock that glowing-eyes girl is standing on, yet her knee somehow ends up behind that dress.

I must say, if I had drawn this, I would have done a much better job with the perspective. (... It's hard to gently caress up five stick figures standing in the same plane.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

I guess the tasteful shirtboob indicates it's a girl, I didn't notice that. I was wondering if it was the French Canadian guy or Cody from the Reckoners.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My bad on the gender identification. I couldn't stop looking at the knee.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

navyjack posted:

Steven Brust has a young girl who shows up in all of his Dragaera novels, but she's normally a blink and you miss it phenomenon
Ah, that's probably who I was thinking of.

Choadmaster posted:

The girl in the cowboy hat (with a bazooka?) I assume you mean. Yeah, and she's standing on a rock that is clearly far in front of the rock that glowing-eyes girl is standing on, yet her knee somehow ends up behind that dress.

I must say, if I had drawn this, I would have done a much better job with the perspective. (... It's hard to gently caress up five stick figures standing in the same plane.)
I really hope that when I get super duper X-Man powers, they don't involve me having to dress like a WoW cosplayer in a Warlock costume because I would constantly be loving tripping on all of those tentacle-y belts or sscraps of cloth or whatever the hell - frnakly it'd be really annoying if my clothing wouldn't sit still, and also was constantly tripping me up when I was walking. Is bazooka cowgirl holding the bazooka with both hands? Or is it just another unfortunate case of perspective, like how her pinky finger is the largest finger on her hand? :allears:

Thanks for mentioning the kilt perspective thing, I cannot unsee it, now

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 10, 2016

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

Until I hear otherwise I'm going to pretend that perspective weirdness is her actual power, because it's more interesting that way.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

Talking about this one:

Pretty good team composition for a MOBA but I can't tell if the 2Fabulous4U wizard or the one legged Scottswoman is their support.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like Ezreal, Jean Grey, Taric, Karma, and a Djinn

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
That is Malphite's new skin for Chinese New Year. Inscrutable Oriental Malphite for 480RP.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Reading Calamity just now and I'm wondering, is it just me who imagines Prof as looking like a tall and muscular version of Dr. WIly from Megaman? That's what I see in my head.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

After I got into Sanderson, I shouldn't have started Stormlight while there are still eight books to go. I hate waiting.

While he's not going to take GRRM times to put out books, he has 8 books to go so it'll probably be a decade and a half or so before I see the conclusion even with an insane pace. gently caress.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Reading Calamity just now and I'm wondering, is it just me who imagines Prof as looking like a tall and muscular version of Dr. WIly from Megaman? That's what I see in my head.

I see Prof as Ron Glass.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Dr Rosen from Alphas.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

After I got into Sanderson, I shouldn't have started Stormlight while there are still eight books to go. I hate waiting.

While he's not going to take GRRM times to put out books, he has 8 books to go so it'll probably be a decade and a half or so before I see the conclusion even with an insane pace. gently caress.

On the plus side he tends to put out 2-3 books a year, with a stormlight every second year, so you'll never go long without something at least.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Stormlight's not going to be finished until the 2030s unless Sanderson drops everything to focus on that series, which isn't going to happen. We'll get Oathkeeper sometime (early?) next year and then Book 4 will be 2019 or 2020 probably.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Well I went to check and his original plan was to do one book every 18 months but he doesn't think he'll be able to stick to it, so I'd say 2 years minimum per book - although he's at least done some work on the future ones already (Writing some Szeth stuff as he was gonna be the flashback focus of book 3 originally).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The later books might also need more time because they have to be checked against the previous ones, something GRRM is really bad at.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tahirovic posted:

The later books might also need more time because they have to be checked against the previous ones, something GRRM is really bad at.

That said, Sanderson is pretty good at preplanning and maintaining his canon, and he's undoubtedly picked up tricks from RJ on how to manage a sprawling world/universe. Comparing him to GRRM doesn't work.

Martin is like a tolkein-esque dwarf who takes a week to consider and chip away a piece of story. The final work is amazing, but efficiency is not the watchword.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

From what I recall, a few years ago he hired someone to work full-time on assuring continuity. Not a bad idea when you're writing a half-dozen different interconnected series at the same time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He's also got a private wiki.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tunicate posted:

Which is a really good idea and I might have to try to emulate it. Currently using Spreadsheets to keep track of where everyone is during the story and documents with notes in for the rest.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Tunicate posted:

I would kill to browse his private wiki in 20-30 years. Could probably wrap it all into a Cosmere Encyclopedia once it's all wrapped up (if it ever does).

He's probably had the morbid thought as well (having completed WoT off Jordan's notes) that if he ever kicks the bucket prematurely, there's enough source material for someone else to step up and do the same for him. If that's in his wishes anyways.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finished my re-read of Way of Kings and started a re-read on Words of Radiance. The Cosmere stuff is a bit more interesting after reading Mistborn Secret History.

It's kinda weird how different Shadesmar (Cognitive Realm) is described in Stormlight vs Secret History.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

Finished my re-read of Way of Kings and started a re-read on Words of Radiance. The Cosmere stuff is a bit more interesting after reading Mistborn Secret History.

It's kinda weird how different Shadesmar (Cognitive Realm) is described in Stormlight vs Secret History.

So in warbreaker would shadesmar basically be a neon inferno?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

So in warbreaker would shadesmar basically be a neon inferno?

Welp there is an area on the map of shadesmar called "the expanse of vibrance"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

mewse posted:

I'm guessing that's due to the spren on Roshar actually shaping it and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Avalerion posted:

I'm guessing that's due to the spren on Roshar actually shaping it and stuff.

or more likely due to the nature of the magics in the respective worlds e.g. mist vs spheres