Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it's completely drained you'll have to leave it charging for five or ten minutes before it'll turn on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sakurazuka posted:

If it's completely drained you'll have to leave it charging for five or ten minutes before it'll turn on.

If it's plugged into a wall. If a USB port on a PC, it may be 30 minutes to an hour.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Meowbot posted:

I pulled out my playstation vita slim out of thecase and the darn thing won't turn on. I plug it into a computer thinking oh it will get power so it should turn on, nope. The light goes orange and stays orange, unless I hold it down longer then it blinks orange. I've tried probably 7 or 8 mcro usb cables and 4 or 5 diff wall charges and havent no luck ...

I can't find the official Sony VITA charge box but I Remember using a samsung tablet charger at one point. I can't figure it out because someone said hold down PS power and right for 20 seocnds and after doing that it flashes a picture of a battyerr with a / through it but if I use specific chargers or my PC I can't get that screen to appear after holding down the buttons for a long time ... Any idea what is going on with my Playstation Vita? I only had it from christmas 2014 onwards and didnt use it for about 8 or 9 months.

Sounds like your battery is completely discharged. You're going to need to charge it up probably for a few hours. It won't charge over USB unless you have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/battery-conve...ita+usb+adapter

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
USB cables and some USB ports don't automatically provide enough power to be able to charge electronic devices, let alone charging something like the Vita that has its own power adapter. Your plug chargers might also not be drawing enough power to charge the Vita (it's not as simple as "plugged into a wall = this thing will charge"), so your best bet would be to just buy a new Vita charger.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 14, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a bit more to setsuna's gameplay than chrono trigger. There's some timed hits stuff and you're collecting materials from monsters to make abilities that you equip to people. But it's mostly just about listening to pretty piano music and soaking in the snowfeels

Heike
Dec 26, 2013
I finally got my import version of Setsuna last week and have been playing it on my Vita. It's definitely not made for the Vita as I ran into a bunch of gameplay issues. I started doing a long write up about it, but haven't had time to finish it, but all this talk reminded me of it. Here's what I was writing:

I finally got Project Setsuna over the weekend and have unfortunately had a busy week and only had time to sink about 5-8 hours into it.

Regardless, I figured I'd post my thoughts here as I've seen a few people asking about it.

The short of it: Project Setsuna is a good JRPG with cool art and good music that tries to mix some old JPRG ideas and systems with new ones, the results sometimes being fun and interesting, and sometimes being a little too complicated. On the Vita, it feels like an indie game I would've backed on Kickstarter that didn't do QA work on all the hardware it released on, but maybe it's smoother on the PS4.

Vita Specific Complaints:
I've only seen complaints about the load times so far, but they're not terrible. There's a second or two delay between all the menus, and that's annoying. Sometimes the game freezes when loading. I find putting the system to sleep and starting it again fixes the freeze, but I've already had it happen 3 times and it's a little annoying.

The bigger issue is that it gets really choppy at places. Right after you load into a new area, like go into town or leave a house in town, there's a good 3 seconds where movement gets really choppy. I can get over that, but it also happens in battle right as you're taking an action. This sucks because I want to see the animations, and there's a timing component to the 'Setsuna system' where you hit square right as a flash appears to get battle bonuses. Well, it's hard to hit that if the flash never shows up or there's only a quick stutter before your character is on top of the enemies. I've come to just mashing the square button if I really need to use the 'Setsuna system', but that's kind of annoying.

Also, there are a couple of graphics that seem like they were probably just jpegs they scaled down and look really pixelated on the vita. I've seen screenshots where they look really clear and good, so I have to assume they look fine on PS4. They also have some text that is super super tiny and it's really hard to read because they're also pixelated, which makes using the accessories really hard.

So some of the systems they have:
Setsuna System - In Battle, there's a normal bar that tracks when your character is up, but next to that there's a little sphere that fills up (I think a little when you take/deal damage, but it's much easier to fill if you just fill your ATB bar and wait). Once you have a shiny little ball, you can perform a Setsuna Attack (or whatever, I don't know what it's called). This is a time based bit of combat where you press square right before your character does their move. If it's a normal attack, it does extra damage, but for skills it can have a lot of different effects. Heal spells can also remove status effects if you use it, certain spells have a larger area of effect, some just do more damage.

Equipable skills - All the skills/magic/tech for your characters have to be 'bought' and equipped. I say bought, but really you trade in monster drops to purchase them, and trading in monster parts gives you money. Each character can't have all their skills equipped. I was hoping for a just 'you learn all your skills' system because I was really looking forward to dual/triple techs and now I have to figure out which skills are useful in both the context of dual/triple techs and which are useful on their own.

Buying skills with monster drops - When you kill a monster, it can drop I think 10 items. Which items it drops depends on how you kill it. All monsters have a normal/rare drop, then most have a drop for finishing it with each element, drops for a 'Just Kill' and an 'Over Kill', kills using the 'Setsuna System' or a 'Link Attack' and maybe one other thing? (can't remember off the top of my head). I kind of like it, because if you kill a group of monsters with an elemental dual tech with tons of damage on a Setsuna attack, you get boatloads of items, which is a good reward for using all this stuff. On the other hand, I have to buy skills with these monster drops, so I have to go around trying to kill every monster every different way or look up which monster drops what item so I can pick up different skills. They do tell you in game what monsters drop what after you've killed them that way, so that's useful, but there are some items I've been trying to get for like 2 hours and I have no idea what monster to get them from. Also, it's been a fairly linear game and this system seems to want to encourage me to go back and hunt enemies for skills, which just doesn't really mix well with how linear it is.

Accessories give your skills extra abilities - Each accessory can transfer a certain bonus to the skills you have equipped. This can be 'reduce MP usage' or 'increase damage' or 'increase crit rate', stuff like that. The bonus gets put on with some degree of randomness in a battle after you use the ability with the Setsuna system.

Other than that some thoughts I've had on it:
You're going on a big mission to make the monsters stop attacking and all, but most of the monsters I fight outside of boss battles are penguins, birds (owl looking things), and squirrels. I'm not sure what this world is afraid of.
The style is very cool. I think most of the music is just 1 piano and it sets the mood really well.
Just like in Chrono Trigger, there are skills that attack in a direction or based on a location (like a line attack or a spin attack based on an enemy/party member). Your character is totally cool just staying where s/he is at the end of their attack, which can make things awkward later on (like if you characters start together, and after a couple moves they're all over the place and your AoE heal spell is now going to hit only one of them). I wish there was a way to move them, or just get them to go back to where they started.
It's very snowy.

Re-reading this, it seems what I've written seems negative, but it's not all bad. It's a fun JRPG, I have no complaints about the characters, the plot, the music, the art, and it has good pacing so far. The battle system seems complicated for the simple JRPG it is, but I'm having fun with it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Two seconds wait between menus is a knockout criteria.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They said Setsuna was a Chrono Trigger callback and Chrono Trigger was like 12-15 hours long, so idk why people are surprised that Setsuna is the same length.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
well the vita port isnt getting localized so who cares

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It sounds like a solid buy for me. 15 hour JRPG with mix of old and new mechanics and a snowy setting sounds like a good time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I will play it using remote play

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

They said Setsuna was a Chrono Trigger callback and Chrono Trigger was like 12-15 hours long, so idk why people are surprised that Setsuna is the same length.

People don't remember how short old RPGs were.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Made a thread selling my copy of EDF2. Please buy this game. You might like it maybe!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768418&perpage=40#post457435863

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EDF2 is a good game and $15 is a good price for it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

People don't remember how short old RPGs were.

CT was short even for the time though, I was pretty surprised when the credits rolled after like 19 hours when not that much earlier I'd put twice that in to FF6.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

CT was short even for the time though, I was pretty surprised when the credits rolled after like 19 hours when not that much earlier I'd put twice that in to FF6.
I think it's more that FF6 is very long for the time. If you look at FF4, it's in the 20ish hour range.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, maybe so, I think at that point the only RPG's I'd actually played were SoM, FF6 and CT

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

corn in the bible posted:

And all my interest in this game is now gone.

Edit: oh, it's coming to PC too. Alright, interest restored.

Slur fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 15, 2016

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Fate/Extella Announced for PS4 & Vita

No info yet, but the screenshots look a hell of a lot better than Fate/Extra.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nero Saber is eternal.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Pureauthor posted:

Nero Saber is eternal.
:agreed:

Her Saber Bride outfit from Fate/Grand Order is pretty drat great as well.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

the screenshots look a hell of a lot better than Fate/Extra.

you say this like it's some sort of feat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i really liked the writing in fate/extra

shame about the combat but at least it was snappy?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I quite enjoyed Fate/Extra until I wasn't paying attention one time in a later dungeon and died when I hadn't saved for a while
I'll go back to it one day, probably

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Still getting through Cold Steel really slowly. There's a line of Dogi plushies in a store and Laura says she likes how muscular it is. Towa still best girl, but Emma's right up there too. Loving every minute of it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Poor Dogi apparently gets shafted if Rean's comments on how no one cares about the character echo Falcom's real fanbase.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who do I need to tweet at to get a localization announcement for Exist Archive.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

God, because we currently need a miracle. Both XSEED and Atlus USA seem to have their hands full. NISA seems like the only one without any big project in their hands at the moment.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
...Aksys?
I mean, all I see them doing right now is a tower defense game, Guilty Gear's update, and that awful looking Langrisser reboot.

There's always the 1/1000 chance Spike decide to become their own publisher here?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kyle Hyde brought his last game to Europe and I have faith not-Kyle Hyde will do the same

E: I was thinking of a completely different game. Sorry I don't care if exist archive gets localised

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Still getting through Cold Steel really slowly. There's a line of Dogi plushies in a store and Laura says she likes how muscular it is. Towa still best girl, but Emma's right up there too. Loving every minute of it.

Look forward to the miracle of the octopus dog.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HGH posted:

There's always the 1/1000 chance Spike decide to become their own publisher here?

It's not impossible, I think it was Kadokawa who is self publishing a couple of their games in the west. Though they're a much bigger company.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Kyle Hyde brought his last game to Europe and I have faith not-Kyle Hyde will do the same

E: I was thinking of a completely different game. Sorry I don't care if exist archive gets localised

there's a new Valkyrie profile just sitting on Japanese shelves for months. Makes me cry every night

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Indivisible isn't out yet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

HGH posted:

...Aksys?
I mean, all I see them doing right now is a tower defense game, Guilty Gear's update, and that awful looking Langrisser reboot.

There's also Zero Time Dillema, right? Though I'd assume work on that is finishing soon enough.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

RanKizama posted:

Fate/Extella Announced for PS4 & Vita

No info yet, but the screenshots look a hell of a lot better than Fate/Extra.

It's listed as action game apparently, does that mean a F/ Musou? O_o

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

In Training posted:

Who do I need to tweet at to get a localization announcement for Exist Archive.

You could ask the producer? His twitter is tuyatuya3110.

On second thought the game sold 29k units on Vita. Don't bother. If a game doesn't sell domestically, it won't sell internationally, unless it has some gimmicky appeal like Idea Factory.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Nero Saber is eternal.

But now we have Attila Saber so

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Schrodingers cat posted:

It's listed as action game apparently, does that mean a F/ Musou? O_o
Probably some open-combat beat-em-up like SK. After the success of EV and Valkyrie Drive, I wouldn't be surprised to see them focus on a similar style of game play while simultaneously adding the Fate license to it. poo poo will fly off the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What sort of nameless enemies can be fought in droves from the Fate universe?