Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I would check with Samsung on the promo, but I think he would be fine. How would they charge him anyway, Samsung doesn't have his credit card and Verizon wouldn't care.

The two "Verizon stores" in his town are actually just resellers and they tell him weird poo poo like "The phone belongs to Verizon until you pay it off" and "You HAVE to buy the case because we don't want you dropping our phone". Thanks though!

I remember you from the Sprint thread when I had that so thanks for being cool there too.

EDIT: He's saying he can't take it back and exchange it? "If I wouldn't have submitted that promotional thing for the VR, I could've exchanged this phone for the regular S7. They gave a 14 day worry free trial period, but if you submit any type of rebate, it's non returnable."

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

The two "Verizon stores" in his town are actually just resellers and they tell him weird poo poo like "The phone belongs to Verizon until you pay it off" and "You HAVE to buy the case because we don't want you dropping our phone". Thanks though!

I remember you from the Sprint thread when I had that so thanks for being cool there too.

EDIT: He's saying he can't take it back and exchange it? "If I wouldn't have submitted that promotional thing for the VR, I could've exchanged this phone for the regular S7. They gave a 14 day worry free trial period, but if you submit any type of rebate, it's non returnable."

Makes no sense to me, but I work for corporate Verizon. He should be able to exchange it with $35 restock fee. But yeah, dealers seem to be even worse at Verizon than past places I was at.

I don't even know how the system would know. The Samsung rebate is pretty much completely through Samsung, as long as you're buying your phone through Verizon they normally don't care.

I'll check the systems when I get in today.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ilkhan posted:

So yeah. :(
Debating on calling again to try and get a tech who knows something, or just switching back to T-Mo who somehow has better network quality and who has customer service not staffed by [an] idiot[s].

None of that is true.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

benisntfunny posted:

None of that is true.
Speedtests and signal meter app (not just bars) both at home and at work disagree, as does my experience (anecdotal, I know).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Makes no sense to me, but I work for corporate Verizon. He should be able to exchange it with $35 restock fee. But yeah, dealers seem to be even worse at Verizon than past places I was at.

I don't even know how the system would know. The Samsung rebate is pretty much completely through Samsung, as long as you're buying your phone through Verizon they normally don't care.

I'll check the systems when I get in today.

Alright, thank you!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone here work for Verizon? We have 40 phones all on a corporate plan and average $120/mo each even though they're all off-contract. I want to find some friggin' way to bring these costs back to reality.

Edit: Seriously, like I'll fire our account rep and give all our business to you if you can un-gently caress these charges.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone here work for Verizon? We have 40 phones all on a corporate plan and average $120/mo each even though they're all off-contract. I want to find some friggin' way to bring these costs back to reality.

Edit: Seriously, like I'll fire our account rep and give all our business to you if you can un-gently caress these charges.

Hi, I can help. We have way better plans and I can take a look.

Do you have PMs?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 21, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
PMed you, thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just updated my iPhone to 9.3 last night, and can confirm wifi calling works great so far with Verizon. Thank god, as my place just happens to be a Verizon black hole.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Make sure you're on 5GHz WiFi, though.

I never gave much thought to it because my 2.4GHz signal is stronger in my house, so I use that when I'm on the 2nd floor.

When WiFi calling got turned on, it was no big deal until I was WFH and my kid decided it was time to make some Easy Mac. Suddenly, nobody on the other end of the conference call could understand me.

After getting the same issue on a call with my wife my brain did the math and I switched to the 5GHz network. No more WiFi calling issues when 'cooking'.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand the early upgrade promotion; I can get a early upgrade but I have to trade in my old phone in good condition...if it isn't in good condition I get a $349 penalty ontop of the price I pay for the phone anyways. Wtf.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I've been with Verizon for about five years, and am currently using an iPhone 6. I was given (by a coworker, for free) an unlocked Samsung Note 5.

I brought the phone to the Verizon store, and the guy helping me said that the IMEI number wasn't found in the Verizon database and that there was nothing he could do.

I have no idea what carrier the phone was on originally - it was my coworker's, who just replaced it with a new phone and gave me this one. It's not blacklisted (lookup says the IMEI number is clear).

Is there any way I can activate the phone on Verizon, or is it no good? I don't know if the dude at the store was giving me a run around, or if there really is nothing to do about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If it's an unlocked note 5, it's a GSM only phone as Samsung doesn't make any unlocked and unbranded CDMA devices. So, it's completely incompatible with Verizon's network.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

bull3964 posted:

If it's an unlocked note 5, it's a GSM only phone as Samsung doesn't make any unlocked and unbranded CDMA devices. So, it's completely incompatible with Verizon's network.

Great! Thank you, that's what I needed to know.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

I don't understand the early upgrade promotion; I can get a early upgrade but I have to trade in my old phone in good condition...if it isn't in good condition I get a $349 penalty ontop of the price I pay for the phone anyways. Wtf.

They don't charge you a penalty. You are on Edge, now called device payment. It is an installment plan paying for the phone. At any time you can buyout phone and start new installment plan. The early upgrade is the point where the balance left on your phone equals the phone trade in value. Hence why you have to trade in phone. If you don't, you pay off the difference.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that true even fi I get a warning saying i'll get a fee of over $350 if i early upgrade to a iphone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

Is that true even fi I get a warning saying i'll get a fee of over $350 if i early upgrade to a iphone?

Far as I know. I recommend you stop by a corporate store, they can at least confirm what your options are.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Yeah, hi - I'm calling about that BOGO deal on the Samsung S7 Edge. Got a few questions."

"Sure. What do you want to know?"

"Well, I'm aware of the fact that I'd have to buy one at full retail, which I don't have a problem with - and then I'd put the other on an installment plan, at which point 8-10 weeks from now I could use the Prepaid Visa to pay down the difference. I'm calling to, well, to be honest, to make sure that there's nothing in this deal that'll allow you guys to cancel my Unlimited Data. Yes, before you tell me I only use ~2GB/month, and I could save money by getting off of it, please keep in mind that I have it because I enjoy having an 'emergency' connection to the internet whenever I need it, plus I now have a car that has all sorts of nifty 4G functionality I can take advantage of. So...do I have all the little nickel and dime things down?"

"Yes, sir...*except* for the fact that while we could upgrade your unlimited data line no problem, keep in mind the second phone must be added to a *new line* on your account."

":what:"

"Yeah, we'd have to give the second S7 Edge a brand new number, and that'd cost you an additional $9.99 per month."

"So...I pay $792, plus $40 to activate both phones, then ~$95 in Virginia sales tax for both phones, then $66-99 for two monthly installments while I wait out the 8-10 weeks for the $792 prepaid Visa, then I'll have to pay an additional $119.88 per year before taxes and whatnot for a new line I don't need, giving up an ultra-rare 703 mobile number in the process that everyone I know already knows by heart when they need to contact me."

"Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me, either - but that's the deal. Oh, but we *would* offer you $20 each for the LG G2s you'd be upgrading from!" :v:

Tears for tiers, indeed. Oh well, guess I'm waiting a few months until they knock a few hundred off the MSRP.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 27, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Yeah, hi - I'm calling about that BOGO deal on the Samsung S7 Edge. Got a few questions."

"Sure. What do you want to know?"

"Well, I'm aware of the fact that I'd have to buy one at full retail, which I don't have a problem with - and then I'd put the other on an installment plan, at which point 8-10 weeks from now I could use the Prepaid Visa to pay down the difference. I'm calling to, well, to be honest, to make sure that there's nothing in this deal that'll allow you guys to cancel my Unlimited Data. Yes, before you tell me I only use ~2GB/month, and I could save money by getting off of it, please keep in mind that I have it because I enjoy having an 'emergency' connection to the internet whenever I need it, plus I now have a car that has all sorts of nifty 4G functionality I can take advantage of. So...do I have all the little nickel and dime things down?"

"Yes, sir...*except* for the fact that while we could upgrade your unlimited data line no problem, keep in mind the second phone must be added to a *new line* on your account."

":what:"

"Yeah, we'd have to give the second S7 Edge a brand new number, and that'd cost you an additional $9.99 per month."

"So...I pay $792, plus $40 to activate both phones, then ~$95 in Virginia sales tax for both phones, then $66-99 for two monthly installments while I wait out the 8-10 weeks for the $792 prepaid Visa, then I'll have to pay an additional $119.88 per year before taxes and whatnot for a new line I don't need, giving up an ultra-rare 703 mobile number in the process that everyone I know already knows by heart when they need to contact me."

"Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me, either - but that's the deal. Oh, but we *would* offer you $20 each for the LG G2s you'd be upgrading from!" :v:

Tears for tiers, indeed. Oh well, guess I'm waiting a few months until they knock a few hundred off the MSRP.

BOGOs have always been with a 2nd line, they're never going to just give you a second phone just because BOGO.

FYI the BOGO works where you start with both lines, current and add a line, on the installment plan (device payment). You get a Visa card of $792. You are allowed to cancel the add a line 6 months from date of activation. So not saying it's a slam dunk, but you can get an extra device for 6 months of service with that extra line.

That being said, on those older plans it would usually be $40 for that added line, so not sure if they would be able to make it $10 or not.

You can keep your number though, not sure why you are being told you can't keep your number.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Is anyone else having issues with Wifi calling on their iPhones (6S+)? I have it enabled, as well as HD voice on my account. I had it work at the office yesterday, but nowhere else, even at home. Today, it's not working at the office. My wife's phone is also having the same issue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rye Bread posted:

Is anyone else having issues with Wifi calling on their iPhones (6S+)? I have it enabled, as well as HD voice on my account. I had it work at the office yesterday, but nowhere else, even at home. Today, it's not working at the office. My wife's phone is also having the same issue.

Mines been working fine at home (also a 6S) but I never try it elsewhere.

Apparently you don't need HD voice enabled for it, I have mine turned off and it works fine.

I'll experiment on a wifi network when I next see one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hope you got :10bux: :10bux:

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
So it's waived if we buy direct from retailer (i.e. a Moto X from the Moto Maker)? Or am I misinterpreting "Customer Provided Equipment"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Looks that way unless it's from the Apple store or a vzw third party

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Looks like my next phone is a Nexus

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

So if my wife and I upgrade in November, it will now be $40 per line (2 year upgrade fee) and $20 per equipment upgrade. So it will be an extra $120 for us to upgrade?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Hope you got :10bux: :10bux:

I don't even know how apple let them charge extra on top of their program.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

incoherent posted:

I don't even know how apple let them charge extra on top of their program.

I don't understand why their program is tied to Verizon at all. I couldn't upgrade my unlimited line through Apple payment plan because Verizon blocked it. Then they decided I could upgrade for $20 more a month. gently caress them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm floored that they outright said the T-Mo doesn't charge anything. You'd think they'd have just excluded them from the sheet. Even funnier that they include themselves in "other carriers".

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am on a old Single Line Plan with unlimited talk and text plus 1GB of data costing $60 a month. Contract just expired. My HTC One M8 is still chugging a long and I don't really have any reason to upgrade right now. So it seems for $60 I could Swap to a 3gb post paid plan, thanks work discount! or I could swap to a 5GB prepaid plan(plus an extra GB if I setup autopay). Any down side to using a prepaid plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Calidus posted:

I am on a old Single Line Plan with unlimited talk and text plus 1GB of data costing $60 a month. Contract just expired. My HTC One M8 is still chugging a long and I don't really have any reason to upgrade right now. So it seems for $60 I could Swap to a 3gb post paid plan, thanks work discount! or I could swap to a 5GB prepaid plan(plus an extra GB if I setup autopay). Any down side to using a prepaid plan?

Calidus posted:

Prepaid you can't do the phone financing, otherwise it's similar.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
If I get a sim free iPhone se from Apple can I just swap my sim from my current iPhone 6 or so I need to get Verizon to do something for it to work?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

A PC Game posted:

If I get a sim free iPhone se from Apple can I just swap my sim from my current iPhone 6 or so I need to get Verizon to do something for it to work?

As long as you get the A1662 iPhone SE you're gold. The sim are the same size so you don't have really anything else stopping you.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/04/01/verizon-unlimited-data-price-increase-phase-2/

What's the story here? I'm on the $30 hotspot plan, does this mean that will go up to $50 too? I guess if so then it's just time to root the phone.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 3, 2016

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

kitten smoothie posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/04/01/verizon-unlimited-data-price-increase-phase-2/

What's the story here? I'm on the $30 hotspot plan, does this mean that will go up to $50 too? I guess if so then it's just time to root the phone.

There's probably some unlimited plans they couldn't easily raise, like the old Alltell ones or smartpack, etc. This is aimed at those.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

There's probably some unlimited plans they couldn't easily raise, like the old Alltell ones or smartpack, etc. This is aimed at those.

Ah, sounds like you're probably right, they must just be doing a sweep of the old unlimited ones that didn't get nailed the first time around. Assuming this post is to be believed.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I used to frequent this thread but I haven't lately - so I felt like I knew the Verizon iPhone 5S I just bought on SA Mart for the mom-in-law will work on AT&T, but now I'm doubting myself and some things I found in googling. If she puts in her AT&T SIM card will everything (calls/text/data) all work OK or will I have to take my money back from a poor goon?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

yamdankee posted:

I used to frequent this thread but I haven't lately - so I felt like I knew the Verizon iPhone 5S I just bought on SA Mart for the mom-in-law will work on AT&T, but now I'm doubting myself and some things I found in googling. If she puts in her AT&T SIM card will everything (calls/text/data) all work OK or will I have to take my money back from a poor goon?

I believe all Verizon 4G phones are legally required to be SIM-unlocked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yamdankee posted:

The Verizon 5S works fine on ATT. To be clear: the Verizon iPhone 5 does not work on ATT LTE, but as long as it's the 5S you are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Hoping a Verizon expert can tell me how this works. I have a 5s that becomes eligible to upgrade on 4/21 because it was from the old 2 year contract. My wife has a 6s. She likes the new 5se so I want to replace my 5s with a 5se and then swap phones with her.

My first question is do I incur any kind of extra cost if I just go buy an se at full price right now? I don't need to wait another 3 weeks to avoid any costs,right? I saw Apple was offering a trade in value of $150 for my 5s so I was thinking about just going to the Apple Store and trading in my current phone for the se.

Second, I assume it's easy to swap my 5se once I get it with my wife's 6s? Do I have to go to a Verizon store for that?

• Locked thread