Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Leal posted:

Looking for a fighting game with currency/unlockables like Smash Bros or Mortal Kombat X on either the Wii U, PS4 or PC. It may sound weird wanting a currency system but I like pretending I'm being rewarded for matches by earning currency to buy cosmetics or moves.

Why not play Smash Bros or Mortal Kombat X then? Those are both great. I guess you've played them to death and want more?

Guilty Gear Xrd. All the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

khy posted:

Any thoughts/suggestions on games to help ease them into becoming better at games in general?

Maybe some of the lego games? They are great for kids and entertaining enough for adults, especially if they like the source material, like star wars, LoTR or Indiana Jones, for example and they are not skill-intensive.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

khy posted:

Any thoughts/suggestions on games to help ease them into becoming better at games in general?

Maybe some simple 8-bit arcade/NES games like Space Invaders or Donkey Kong where you only have one button. The earliest games I played were on Atari 2600 at age 3-5 so by age 8 when I got my NES I was already used to the moving/firing concept. SMB1 was great for teaching me the sideways thumb technique (press B with tip of thumb, A with middle knuckle), which applies to every 2-button game ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

khy posted:

My sister does not like giving her kids much video game time. Direct result - they're awful at games.

My father does not and has not ever played games. He's awful at games. He often has mentioned wanting to get decent at them to play with his grandkids, but he never really has.
My niece LOVES legend of zelda but she's not great at using the controller so usually I play while she watches.
My nephew loves pokemon and plays but he's not good at hitting the buttons while using the analog stick/dpad which makes it challenging for him to play any non-RPG games.

I wish to be able to get my father to become better at games, and likewise my neice/nephew.

They all get super frustrated and just getting used to the controller will be a bit of a challenge. I'm trying to think if there's any good options for them to start learning.

The only console available to my father is a PS3 that I bought him because at the time it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. So PS1/3 games are what he's limited to.
The kids have access to a wii and to the PS3 when over at my parents house.

Turn based games are good for people who are having trouble with controller coordination, so yeah, RPGs like pokemon are good.

Maybe something like mario party where its a bunch of little party games so if you lose its over fast and then you're doing something else? And they're mostly very simple to understand.

The latest mario party games were kinda so-so but should still be fun if they haven't played much games. The Wii ones especially are focused on motion controls which should be easier for them to understand than trying to remember a bunch of N64 buttons or what have you.

Mario Kart is also a long time favorite and the Wii version you can play with motion controls, they're kinda goofy but can be a lot of fun too. Mario Kart is pretty simple to understand but involves faster action than like pokemon, so could be a good way to build up hand-eye-coordination. Start them on 50cc difficulty so things are slower and easier to understand, and then once they're good at that bump it up slowly to 150 and 200cc when they start winning cups. By the time they can play on 200cc they'll be pro gamers.

For your Father, what kind of stuff is he into? If he's into stuff like Football or Golf, that was the only way I could ever get my old man to play games. Giving somebody something they're already familiar with the rules of can make it much less intimidating and more appealing. (Or whatever your dad is into, Lord of the rings, star trek, I dunno)

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

khy posted:

My sister does not like giving her kids much video game time. Direct result - they're awful at games.

My father does not and has not ever played games. He's awful at games. He often has mentioned wanting to get decent at them to play with his grandkids, but he never really has.
My niece LOVES legend of zelda but she's not great at using the controller so usually I play while she watches.
My nephew loves pokemon and plays but he's not good at hitting the buttons while using the analog stick/dpad which makes it challenging for him to play any non-RPG games.

I wish to be able to get my father to become better at games, and likewise my neice/nephew.

They all get super frustrated and just getting used to the controller will be a bit of a challenge. I'm trying to think if there's any good options for them to start learning.

The only console available to my father is a PS3 that I bought him because at the time it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market. So PS1/3 games are what he's limited to.
The kids have access to a wii and to the PS3 when over at my parents house.

Animal Crossing: City Folk should be good for the kids. If they get a half hour/day playing games, then Animal Crossing should be a perfect fit.

Your dad would probably find Journey interesting.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, are there any good tactics/strategy games for iOS? I know next to nothing about mobile games and everything I have stumbled upon seems to be on the level of facebook games. :arghfist::saddowns:

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

Tarquinn posted:

So, are there any good tactics/strategy games for iOS? I know next to nothing about mobile games and everything I have stumbled upon seems to be on the level of facebook games. :arghfist::saddowns:

Clash Royale, from the people who made Clash of Clans, is surprisingly fun, but might lack the depth you're looking for.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Good suggestions for the kids/dad. Thanks for those.

Another question. I love the 'serious sam' games, and other FPS style games from within the last few years where it's you vs a huge rear end horde. Gimme a gun with a couple hundred rounds, some explosives to clear crowds, and I'm happy. What recent games similar to those have come out? Preferrably single player with a story but I'll take multiplayer if that's all I can get.

Zaphod42 posted:

For your Father, what kind of stuff is he into? If he's into stuff like Football or Golf, that was the only way I could ever get my old man to play games. Giving somebody something they're already familiar with the rules of can make it much less intimidating and more appealing. (Or whatever your dad is into, Lord of the rings, star trek, I dunno)
Hard to say for sure, I will likely start with the lego games especially HP stuff and see if I can't use that as a starting point.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 19, 2016

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
looking for a nice chill puzzle-y type mobile game for Android

nothing with too high of system requirements, my current phone is kind of a PoS beater

I enjoy things like nonograms and crosswords for killing time

help me to kill time

basically i just want a good mobile game that's not the bog standard PnD-type grindfest, nor a Clash-of-Clans style skinner box, nor an "art game"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

khy posted:

Another question. I love the 'serious sam' games, and other FPS style games from within the last few years where it's you vs a huge rear end horde. Gimme a gun with a couple hundred rounds, some explosives to clear crowds, and I'm happy. What recent games similar to those have come out? Preferrably single player with a story but I'll take multiplayer if that's all I can get.

None that I know of. It's all sluggish cover-based cinematic QTE bullshit. I went to check out the Doom 4 trailer just now and sadly it falls squarely into the latter category.

e: actually what are these other FPS style games that you mention, I might have missed out on some.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

khy posted:

Hard to say, the Serious Sam series are basically the pinnacle of the "you vs horde" shooters. If you value the story and fun, I'll give Shadow Warrior (2013) and Farcry 3: Blood Dragon a try, they both have a good/decent story, fun gameplay, humor and a reasonable number of enemies to mow down. Heck, if you don't mind a western setting, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is pretty good, too.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

quadrophrenic posted:

looking for a nice chill puzzle-y type mobile game for Android

nothing with too high of system requirements, my current phone is kind of a PoS beater

I enjoy things like nonograms and crosswords for killing time

help me to kill time

basically i just want a good mobile game that's not the bog standard PnD-type grindfest, nor a Clash-of-Clans style skinner box, nor an "art game"

Hitman Go?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

nachos posted:

Hitman Go?

got it, played it, beat it, but bang-on with the suggestion, something just like that would be perfect

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Any tips for a casual, turn-based, hot seat game, that I can play with my girlfriend with controllers from the couch?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tarquinn posted:

There's an iOS port of XCOM.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

quadrophrenic posted:

got it, played it, beat it, but bang-on with the suggestion, something just like that would be perfect

Did you play Lara Croft Go as well? Hoplite is also fantastic.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Seconding Hoplite, great game for some quick playthroughs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Boz0r posted:

Any tips for a casual, turn-based, hot seat game, that I can play with my girlfriend with controllers from the couch?

err, not really what you're asking but Divinity Original sin is 2-player co-op with controllers & combat is turn-based...

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

e: actually what are these other FPS style games that you mention, I might have missed out on some.

Sadly the only 'new' ones that are recent are all multiplayer because people apparently cannot come up with a decent horde-style single player game anymore. But the recent stuff I was thinking of was stuff like KF2, Vermintide, etc.

Then before that the serious sam and painkiller games are the best. Painkiller is just so very, very good.

Borderlands/BL2 is a bit like this but even there you feel a bit too fragile to take on a horde like you would in the serious sam games.

Actually even recent FPS have their moments - it's just that those moments only seem to occur when you come across a mounted gun. "Here's a mounted gun, let's finally go nuts with enemies for the next 2 minutes. Okay that was enough now it's time to dial it back to 2's and 3's.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
there's a few horde-style single player fpses these days

devil daggers, tower of guns, ziggurat

going back in the past a bit there's painkiller, bulletstorm, etc etc

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm somewhat interested in trying to convince my friend to play Divinity: Original Sin but I feel like that type of game just wouldn't be fun co-op because of the slow pace. I feel the same way about Baldur's Gate or even the Tales games. Am I wrong?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm somewhat interested in trying to convince my friend to play Divinity: Original Sin but I feel like that type of game just wouldn't be fun co-op because of the slow pace. I feel the same way about Baldur's Gate or even the Tales games. Am I wrong?

it's a slow-paced game for sure, but i think BG is a bad comparison, at least on game mechanics. it's more like x-com mechanically

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

quadrophrenic posted:

it's a slow-paced game for sure, but i think BG is a bad comparison, at least on game mechanics. it's more like x-com mechanically

Could I sell it to him as an RPG X-Com then?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Could I sell it to him as an RPG X-Com then?

sure

i mean it's obviously not a 1-for-1 comparison, but i think D:OS scratched the same kind of tactical itches that X-Com did for me

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My buddy and I have been playing Ark for way too long and we need a different game. We both love open world survival games, and my friend in particular enjoys the base building and the logistics of gathering aspects of the game (though the gathering itself is still tedious). We've tried a few other games in the genre (7 Days to Die, The Forest) with some success, but my friend keeps gravitating back to Ark because it feels more polished and seems to have better content and replayability. I'm pretty bored with it at this point.

Any ideas? I keep trying to convince him to try Minecraft but he's not a fan of the visual style.

What is Rust like these days, is it still a horribly unbalanced PVP nightmare if you're in a two person clan?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The big thing in Divinity is you can do your own thing independent of the other player, while Baldur's Gate is "You must gather your party before venturing forth." And when you're together you can both share input with story choices. So if he's into the plot you can have mini-arguments in game and if they don't care they could be robbing the town while you're advancing the story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What's a good recent-ish space 4X?

Things I like:
- Both conquest and non-conquest win conditions
- Moderately challenging AI (Civilization's mix of "smarter" and "subtly cheating" is probably good enough)
- Asymmetrical tech trees by race/empire
- Fast, snappy, responsive interfaces. I care about this far more than I care about graphics and about the same as gameplay.

Things I don't like:
- Any real-time aspect whatsoever
- Randomized tech trees
- Slow/fancy animations that you can't turn off

Space Empires IV would be just about perfect for me if not for a) the weak AI and b) the resource, research, and planet development systems are a little too freeform -- I'd prefer a little bit more structure than "research any tech in almost any order" and "build any combination of 25 facilities out of a list of hundreds."

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

double nine posted:

err, not really what you're asking but Divinity Original sin is 2-player co-op with controllers & combat is turn-based...

I think that's a bit on the advanced side for her.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's a good recent-ish space 4X?

Things I like:
- Both conquest and non-conquest win conditions
- Moderately challenging AI (Civilization's mix of "smarter" and "subtly cheating" is probably good enough)
- Asymmetrical tech trees by race/empire
- Fast, snappy, responsive interfaces. I care about this far more than I care about graphics and about the same as gameplay.

Things I don't like:
- Any real-time aspect whatsoever
- Randomized tech trees
- Slow/fancy animations that you can't turn off

Space Empires IV would be just about perfect for me if not for a) the weak AI and b) the resource, research, and planet development systems are a little too freeform -- I'd prefer a little bit more structure than "research any tech in almost any order" and "build any combination of 25 facilities out of a list of hundreds."

I'm looking for something similar, however I DO want some sort of real-time aspect. I love games such as the Total War series that have overarching strategy and faction management in the campaign but also feature small scale tactics in battles. I'd just like any sort of combat, even if it isn't full real-time. I also put more weight in to graphics so I'm looking for something that's old enough to be cheap or common on sales, but recent enough to look good.

Bonus points if it's got good multiplayer campaign options. I'm mainly looking for myself, however a friend and I recently completed a playthrough of Rome II together and had a blast so we'd like to expand on that. More details in the conquest side of things compared to Total War (i.e. economy, research, etc) would be great, however my friend is certainly much more into flashiness than I am so he'd put a bit more emphasis on in-game combat than I would.

e, TLDR: Looking for Total War, in space, with a co-op campaign and more spergy details about ship building and faction management.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 21, 2016

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Teeter posted:

I'm looking for something similar, however I DO want some sort of real-time aspect. I love games such as the Total War series that have overarching strategy and faction management in the campaign but also feature small scale tactics in battles. I'd just like any sort of combat, even if it isn't full real-time. I also put more weight in to graphics so I'm looking for something that's old enough to be cheap or common on sales, but recent enough to look good.

Bonus points if it's got good multiplayer campaign options. I'm mainly looking for myself, however a friend and I recently completed a playthrough of Rome II together and had a blast so we'd like to expand on that. More details in the conquest side of things compared to Total War (i.e. economy, research, etc) would be great, however my friend is certainly much more into flashiness than I am so he'd put a bit more emphasis on in-game combat than I would.

e, TLDR: Looking for Total War, in space, with a co-op campaign and more spergy details about ship building and faction management.

You want Sword of the Stars (the original, not 2). That has the Total War style turn-based strategic map + real-time combat you're looking for. It definitely has multiplayer, and I think you can set up alliances if you and your friend are playing co-op. It has a very good randomized research tree that varies with each game, which would actually go really well with co-op because your partner can trade you the techs that you can't research yourself. Not too much on the economy half--planets have a population and infrastructure level that improves over time, but no buildings, specifically. And it has a good design your own ship system that balances detail and ease of use.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 24, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah Sword of the Stars is basically a bunch of things I want, ruined by a handful of dealbreakers and some shoddy execution in places. If you don't have the same dealbreakers, it is probably perfect for you.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Scambl posted:

Clash Royale, from the people who made Clash of Clans, is surprisingly fun, but might lack the depth you're looking for.

I'll look into that. Thanks!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's an iOS port of XCOM.
I own and beat the PC version. Thanks anyway.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
What's a good place to start with CRPGS, preferably of the isometric/Infinity Engine type?

I pretty much grew up on JRPGs, and I've liked recent mainstream western RPG releases (like Mass Effect, Diablo 3, etc.). I like dungeon crawlers (think on the lines of an Etrian Odyssey) and roguelikes as well.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions, but not PoE - I really want to see what influenced that game before diving in. I also feel like it'll make it harder to go back an experience the older games.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

futurememory posted:

What's a good place to start with CRPGS, preferably of the isometric/Infinity Engine type?

I pretty much grew up on JRPGs, and I've liked recent mainstream western RPG releases (like Mass Effect, Diablo 3, etc.). I like dungeon crawlers (think on the lines of an Etrian Odyssey) and roguelikes as well.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions, but not PoE - I really want to see what influenced that game before diving in. I also feel like it'll make it harder to go back an experience the older games.

Baldur's Gate 2 would be the classic, but the original on GOG it lacks a lot of modern conveniences. There's a HD remaster available on Steam that's good to go out of the box.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Plancescape: Torment is the best of the bunch imo

Fallout 2 is still pretty fun after all these years

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

futurememory posted:

The Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition 1 and 2, no question.

Planescape Torment is probably the best written video game ever, but gameplay not so much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

futurememory posted:

What you're describing are two very divergent genres of CRPGs. The Infinity Engine style wRPGs are usually very dialogue heavy with slow, tactical RTwP combat and static loot. ARPGs in the Diablo tradition are light on the story elements with faster, real-time combat and randomly generated loot.

Fortunately for you some genius decided to combine these two genres, and it's called Divine Divinity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's not much more to add to what's been said. Baldur's Gate II's legendary reputation is well-deserved, Planescape Torment has amazing atmosphere and writing, and Divine Divinity is a good action-oriented top-down RPG from that same general era (once you get past the slow start). Neverwinter Nights still holds up quite well. If you want a more recent top-down party-based RPG, try Divinity: Original Sin, though it is turn-based and not real-time-with-pause like the old Infinity Engine games.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any realtime adventure games out there? I mean realtime as opposed to a static world and the game advancing based on scripted events. The closest example I can think of to what I'm looking for is the original Lara Bow: The Colonel's Bequest. In that game the story took place in ~30 minute increments in which the world kind of moved on its own and you could follow certain npcs around to see what they did, go to certain places that would only be open at certain times, etc. It was a neat idea because you couldn't do everything - you had to choose whether you wanted to go eavesdrop on this guy at his secret meeting or go see what the old lady keeps going to the stables for, since both were happening at the same time and would happen with or without you. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Last Express is what you're looking for.