Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's funny seeing Gjallarhorn going from the proud and glamorous oppressors of humanity to this. I mean to a degree they always were pretty bad but they could at least pretend they were the noble peacekeepers of mankind, but now there's no one left that could embody that ideal. Gaelio, despite being one of the most idealistic of the Gjallarhorn bunch has gone full dumbass revenge-crazed retard. And it doesn't help that he'll have forever sullied his family's name and Gjallarhorn's by enabling Ein. And Ein himself. Woo boy, it'd be easier to feel sympathetic but he was twisted by his revenge early on rather than some kind of last-minute crazy brought on by the AV system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's weird that a Gundam show actually did the thing and gave me the mixed emotions about war because I want to cheer these protagonists on in their goal but I feel it like they do about how hosed up this all is.

Like usually Gundams just go "War is bad, now here's a really cool fight scene and new toy. Gotta have one every week." and then try to make up for the lost ground by having something big and dumb like gassing a whole colony or dropping one on Earth.

I guess I'm just happy IBO has chosen such a small deal and show how intensely they all suffer because of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kind of cheering on both Gundam pilots in their respective final matchups here.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Oh the thoughts that must be going through Gali's head. If his rear end lives through this it's his head for anything Einborg does on top of the weight of McGillis betraying him and Carta.

Family dinners will be awkward.

Also Atra is the best driver but there is still time for things to go horribly wrong and I don't like that.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 20, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
As brutal as that episode was, I can't help but imagine Makanai just kind of sitting there strapped in upside-down in the car at the end, waiting for someone to remember that he's there.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

The Sandman posted:

As brutal as that episode was, I can't help but imagine Makanai just kind of sitting there strapped in upside-down in the car at the end, waiting for someone to remember that he's there.

His beards probably poked his eyes out in the crash.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

At this point I'm wondering if Kudelia is pretty much subscribing to a sunken cost fallacy. She says that because of all the people that died she has to move forward, but what's likely going to happen is her getting some potentially power hungry rear end in a top hat in place, who can just ignore her after he's put in charge.

Really a ton of this show is about the distortion of ideals when hitting practical reality and it's awesome for it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
So Ein's incursion into the city and the subsequent battle that goes on with Mika and massacres a few hundred thousand innocent civilians is going to be the primary catalyst for change it looks like.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

were we supposed to know that McGillis is the masked man before and I missed it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

setafd posted:

were we supposed to know that McGillis is the masked man before and I missed it?

Yes. It was outright revealed to Tekkadan six episodes ago.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 20, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

setafd posted:

Mika literally goes "Oh hey, why is the chocolate man here?"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

setafd posted:

The saddest post.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'll feel pretty bad for anyone who makes it alive at this point.

Stay safe Atra and Guts.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Honestly, I was convinced Atra was gonna bite the big one today. Came close!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xy Hapu posted:

it didn't really feel like there was any malice behind Biscuit's death.

Carta is fighting Mika and losing, see's Orga sitting in the open and basically goes "I might not be able to get you, but I can get him" before running off to make a kill she feels is within her limits. Feels pretty malicious to me.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Of course, given the show isn't very idealistic, I fully expect that granting Chryse full independence will take months if not years, and obviously won't solve the poverty situation for decades.

Dort's situation has already been sorted out in a single newscast in a way that seems pretty ideal (minus the bloodshed) to me, so I'd say the show is kind of idealisic thanks to that alone.

I assume this has 26 episodes, not 25 - and thus won't end next week?

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 20, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shinjobi posted:

Honestly, I was convinced Atra was gonna bite the big one today. Came close!

Only girls with big boobs die.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Logicblade posted:

His beards probably poked his eyes out in the crash.
Makanai is shown in the preview with no visible injuries, regrettably.

Anyhew, hello Deus Ex Eugene. I see you also remembered the 3 or 4 buddies of Masahiro that vanished for over 10 episodes existed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

Carta is fighting Mika and losing, see's Orga sitting in the open and basically goes "I might not be able to get you, but I can get him" before running off to make a kill she feels is within her limits. Feels pretty malicious to me.

That's not what happened. She was fighting mika and losing, and then she heard orga's voice over the radio. This causes her to realize that the mobile worker has the enemy commander in it and goes to kill it. granted, she also doing it because she's pissed for losing so many of her subordinates.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

setafd posted:

It was obvious who it was from the start and Mika called it out as obvious the second he met him like 8 episodes ago.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It's like these guys watched the penultimate episode of Zeta and thought "Let's do that"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm actually wondering if we're getting Season 2 at this point. They've basically pulled every trigger I can think of and it almost feels more like it's setting up for a tragic ending with shades of potential optimism than anything.

McGillis showing up to fight Kimaris is pretty interesting but honestly I can't see any way Galigali doesn't get his face completely and utterly wrecked.

tsob posted:

I believe it's been confirmed to be 25, there was a one-week skip for holiday.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

sudden realization author of this show has definitely been playing mgs 5

mobile worker = walker gear
orca/kudelia = big boss
einborg= Sahelanthropus
their goal is basically building outer haven

no wonder i like this show.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Jesus, what a clusterfuck.

Orga did use the AVless mobile workers as decoys in the end. He was nowhere nearly as callous as the old CGS leadership, but... yeah, the whole thing leaves a terrible aftertaste, especially considering who they're dying for. I don't think Shino died, though - badly hurt and in need of some bacta time-out, sure, but I don't think the show would've spent time with him and Yamagi just to spend him in checking out what the Einborg can do. We already had plenty of that with Azee and Lafter :gonk:

Here's hoping Gali-Gali makes it through everything that is coming. I now also think McGillis was banking on Ein going berserk inside city limits.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tsob posted:

Wikipedia says 25, so next week is the last episode.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I liked that small timeskip, I feel like showing the battle from the start would have been gratuitous and I'm glad they chose to sink their teeth into the real issues instead.

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is the answer to Merribit's question as to why Tekkadan is doing this even though they (or at least some of the major players) seem to understand it's wrong? I thought it was kind of funny no one bothered to explain that to her, but maybe it was just obvious. Is it simply because they have no choice? I thought that was just something Orga more or less made up. I could see the kids buying that but even the mechanic guy?

Kanos posted:

You're getting really hostile and insulting for no real reason and it's kind of baffling when I never insulted you.

Kanos posted:

I actually cannot possibly understand how someone could watch the scene in question and not immediately get "wow, this is pretty messed up" vibes from it, regardless of how well-animated or choreographed it is. Do you think Scarface is a movie about how drugs are awesome because Tony Montana got rich off them for a bit before they destroyed his life and killed him?

Please just stop, it's one thing to skew things to the benefit an argument no one is even arguing against, but it's something entirely else to skew your own post and imply the above somehow wasn't intended as an insult. And if you try to tell me that was just a good faith query into my personal interpretation of thematic elements in the movie Scarface I will shoot myself. Though to be fair it was somewhat less hurtful on account of it targeting a fictional version of me who was, admittedly, missing something blatantly obvious (inside your head).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xy Hapu posted:

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is the answer to Merribit's question as to why Tekkadan is doing this even though they (or at least some of the major players) seem to understand it's wrong? I thought it was kind of funny no one bothered to explain that to her, but maybe it was just obvious. Is it simply because they have no choice? I thought that was just something Orga more or less made up. I could see the kids buying that but even the mechanic guy?

Their only realistic ticket back to Mars is Makanai, and even if it weren't, as long as Gjallarhorn is in power they will be enemies of the state and hunted down until the end of their days. Merribit is playing the audience surrogate, here - she represents our values (we want children to have a chance to grow up happy), except she's forgetting that Tekkadan are and always have been soldiers first and children second. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Wikipedia says 25, so next week is the last episode.

Next week's episode is called called Tekkadan and basically every loose plot thread is set to be wrapped up or probably can't be wrapped up in a single episode and is either gonna he left linger or for the second season/oav/movie/whatever. Unless Gali-Gali somehow manages to take on McGillis!.

I wonder what the hell Akihiro is going to do in the final episode.

Xy Hapu posted:

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is the answer to [spoiler]Merribit's question as to why Tekkadan is doing this even though they (or at least some of the major players) seem to understand it's wrong? I thought it was kind of funny no one bothered to explain that to her, but maybe it was just obvious. Is it simply because they have no choice? I thought that was just something Orga more or less made up. I could see the kids buying that but even the mechanic guy?

The Tekkadan guys have literally nothing to go back to at this point. They're basically Sunk Cost Fallacy The Mercenary Company at this point. Biscuit pointed out that they were just throwing more and more lives in pursuit of a crazy and reckless goal which is potentially high-reward, even though their original plan was to do something more simple and build up. The Kudelia operation was just supposed to earn them a rep and instead by the time it's done they're going to be utterly devastated, lost most of their resources, and be on the shitlist of some of the most powerful people in the world. That's even assuming the best possible outcome which is that Mika and Akihiro both survive the final battle and Shino somehow survives and gets to a bacta tank. Without those three they've got literally nothing to their name.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Ah, thanks for the replies, I haven't been following their large scale situation very well and thought they had more options. That actually gives me a bit of hope, if Tekkadan was just fundamentally wrong-headed it would be tone deaf to give them a good ending, but if it's more that they just have to act like that because of their situation a good end would be more appropriate. It's still hard to imagine Mika getting out in one piece though, at the same time if Tekkadan as a whole gets a good end I feel like they might do it anyway.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am ready for Ein to be laughed at in his dying moments.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well poo poo I'm sad now they had to kill off the female pilots who were better than most of the other pilots to make Ein scary and my favourite pilot got drilled into goop.

Eej fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 20, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Eej posted:

Well poo poo I'm sad now they had to kill off the female pilots who were better than most of the other pilots to make Ein scary and my favourite pilot got drilled into goop.

Yeah, can't really say I'm a fan of those two basically accompanying Tekkadan this far just so they could job out to Ein before his last fight with Mika

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

Nice to see that downtown Edmonton hasn't changed at all in 300+ years :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kalion posted:

It's nice to know that the YMCA could still be in business after the calamity war.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
It was really cool going to two of the places featured as background art on the show in the morning and then coming home and seeing them alongside Gundams, explosions, and uncharacteristically nice weather. I was sure they would just have a generic city without anything from the now ancient Edmonton but now I can only assume Okada is following my every move. :tinfoil:

Still curious as to why it had to be Edmonton of all places. I wonder if we'll ever get some insight on their thought process there.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kalion posted:

I was actually in Edmonton this afternoon on a trip. I watched the episode and drove through downtown on my way out of town. It was loving surreal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Megafunk posted:

It was really cool going to two of the places featured as background art on the show in the morning and then coming home and seeing them alongside Gundams, explosions, and uncharacteristically nice weather. I was sure they would just have a generic city without anything from the now ancient Edmonton but now I can only assume Okada is following my every move. :tinfoil:

Still curious as to why it had to be Edmonton of all places. I wonder if we'll ever get some insight on their thought process there.

Maybe someone visited there once.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just, in general.

Someone visited Edmonton and somebody at Sunrise decided to commemorate the occasion.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
did ein just like, double this show's bodycount in five minutes all by himself

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm actually unclear who Akihiro was fighting when Ein slipped the net. Gaelio clearly orders Stenja and Co to "go support the mobile worker forces"(which seems odd because the mobile workers are in the city, which means no mobile suits allowed), they exit stage left, and then the next time we see Akihiro he's fighting a bunch of Grazes while telling Mikazuki that Ein broke loose.

Xy Hapu posted:

Please just stop, it's one thing to skew things to the benefit an argument no one is even arguing against, but it's something entirely else to skew your own post and imply the above somehow wasn't intended as an insult. And if you try to tell me that was just a good faith query into my personal interpretation of thematic elements in the movie Scarface I will shoot myself. Though to be fair it was somewhat less hurtful on account of it targeting a fictional version of me who was, admittedly, missing something blatantly obvious (inside your head).

Sick dodge on ignoring the part where I pointed out that you were completely wrong in attacking me for making poo poo up in the scene favor of this. That question was asked in a hyperbolic manner to point out how making something look entertaining, cool, and well-produced does not mean that the writing is in support of it in any thematic way because a titanic segment of your post I replied to was devoted to how questionable it was that Mika was portrayed with a number of positive aspects, not as a "holy gently caress, you're a dumb guy, time to construct a strawman" comment.

If I wanted to insult you personally, I'd roll my eyes at you calling someone out on having a mecha avatar because it glorifies a human-killing death machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I'm actually wondering if we're getting Season 2 at this point. They've basically pulled every trigger I can think of and it almost feels more like it's setting up for a tragic ending with shades of potential optimism than anything.
There's plenty of room for Season 2 - McGillis is the driving character here, and he's yet to encounter any real resistance. Makanai is giving real signs of being a lot more dangerous than he lets on, and we've yet to really deal with the real rear end in a top hat in the earlier part of the season, Nobliss. They're still all shadowy people working behind the scenes, towards mostly unknown (but speculated) end-goals, and I think it wouldn't be satisfying to just leave it like that.

• Locked thread