Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Sometimes I think "Say, maybe Star Trek is actually a perfectly fine video game, and we're just a couple of dumb assholes who can't do anything right". Then I watch Kalon die because he flew into a bit of debris that didn't even appear on his screen and it's like "OK yah naw, this game is dogshit".

(we're probably still dumb assholes though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Sometimes I think "Say, maybe Star Trek is actually a perfectly fine video game, and we're just a couple of dumb assholes who can't do anything right". Then I watch Kalon die because he flew into a bit of debris that didn't even appear on his screen and it's like "OK yah naw, this game is dogshit".

I told you there wasn't anything there.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I love this game. It looks so fancy and plays so badly.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

I don't know how you could think this, even momentarily.

I haven't watched the latest videos, have you come across the background NPC's who are trying to operate crates like computers? Like, the ones who are pushing imaginary buttons on the side of honest-to-god crates as if they're operating some control console? Because that would remind you that this is maybe not a great game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

http://i.imgur.com/b7B3DaN.webm

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Happy Easter! Here's some more of this loving bullshit!

Episode 9: Turbo(lift) Tunnel

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tip: Commendations are optional, but give you a chance to play like a true Starfleet Officer

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Physics.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

I know you want me to be looking at that improbable ledge grab but instead I am fascinated by that dude in the background and his weird journey into the lava (if that is in fact what that is).

EDIT: I just watched the video and in the video it's even better worse. :rip: Spock, ya failed your grab check/the game failed a physics check/we'll never know what really happened.

EDIT EDIT: I have so many questions but I'm afraid to ask them because I know I won't be satisfied with the answers. For instance, why are there dinosaurs in this broken spaceship?

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 27, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Cathode Raymond posted:

For instance, why are there dinosaurs in this broken spaceship?

Because they wanted to do an over-the-top reference to cult hit Snakes on a Plane.

Wait, that's a Doctor Who joke. Never mind.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I know it's largely the fault of the films, but the tone in this game is all over the loving place.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

kalonZombie posted:

I assume Ape trailed off and what he meant to say was "How did I survive that one time... we played Star Trek?"

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

I like how Kirk gave the order to close and lock down all doors on the level so that the Gorn couldn't just go running around and killing people. Then all the doors are wide open, so apparently she did the opposite. What the christ is this game?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Enterprise was obviously designed by people who weren't fans of documentation. That's the real reason Scotty can pull miracles out of his arse, nobody else knows what half the buttons actually do.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Let's Play Cry of Fear!

In the summer of 2013, when Steam Greenlight was still a thing, I had recently gotten very interested in horror games. I looked around and found this game with a very high user rating that had been voted to be greenlit by the community. Even now it's got 88% positive reviews on Steam.
Those ratings are a lie. Cry of Fear is a bad game.

It was a GoldSrc mod released in 2012 as the second project from Team Psykskallar, which found its way to a standalone release in early 2013. It's buggy, it can be prone crashing if you play it for too long, it's too reliant on (bad) jumpscares and the level design and enemy spawns are terrible. Also, one of the devs is kind of an rear end in a top hat.
It does do some interesting things, like having mostly good looking textures and occasionally pretty decent music and sound design. But even that stuff's pretty hit or miss. The story is also moderately interesting but kind of falls flat, especially with the tedious gameplay it's wrapped in dragging it down so much. Even still, please use spoiler tags if you want to talk about this game, because there are some actually creepy (and funny) moments that are fun to be surprised with.

Subtitles for this one because I want to "preserve the atmosphere". And I'll try to update every Wednesday (and maybe 2-3 times a week once I'm done recording, just to get it over with) and since I'm done recording, every Saturday, too.

:siren:Also, just a (sort of late, sorry) warning for people that might be sensitive to certain things, there's some heavy stuff handled without much tact in this game, so I'll put a warning next to the episode link in some cases (and the video description just in case). But expect themes of depression and some images of self harm (on the player character) throughout the whole game.:siren:

Part 1 - Into the Night(mare) [Contains references of pedophilia toward the end]
Part 2 - Into the Past [Contains references of pedophilia and a visual representation of a suicide]
Part 3 - Into the Game Files (and the Sewers)
Part 4 - Into the out of the Sewers [Contains a visual representation of a suicide]
Part 5 - Into the Garden of Madness
Part 6 - Into the (Emotional) Darkness [Contains a depiction of a suicide]
Part 7 - Into the Defusing of a Situation
Part 8 - Into the (Literal) Darkness
Part 9 - Into the Past Again [Contains references of pedophilia (again, because I'm dumb)]
Part 10 - Into the Carnival [Contains depictions of self harm and the game dropping hints about ableism]
Part 11 - Into the Frustration
Part 12 - Into the Mind
Part 13 - Into the Day, Light, etc. [Contains depictions of self harm and more ableism]
Bonus 1 - Into the Bonus
Bonus 2 - Into the Pain [Contains depictions of self harm and visual representations of suicide]
Bonus 3 - Into the Allusion

If you want to see the other endings, check out these videos from Mr. Sunabouzu's LP, because I'm not playing through this awful game another 3-4 times. The endings get progressively worse in multiple ways except endings 3 and 5 actually have kind of interesting extra levels.
Ending 3 [Contains a depiction of a suicide and more ableism]
Ending 2/1 [Contains a visual representation of a suicide and more ableism]
Ending 5

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 15, 2016

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
One thing that's been bothering me about Cry of fear is the fact that the cellphone flashlight is not positioned properly. With the way he's holding the phone the light should be shooting off to the far right and not centered as if he was holding a regular flashlight in front of him

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
That stair tripping mechanic is horrid. Who thought that was a good idea?

ETA: Man you got a lotta ammo for that gun you don't have.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 1, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I watched an LP of the original Cry of Fear back when it was brand new. The sad part is that it would probably be pretty good as a horror game with the jump scares toned down or removed entirely.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

chitoryu12 posted:

I watched an LP of the original Cry of Fear back when it was brand new. The sad part is that it would probably be pretty good as a horror game with the jump scares toned down or removed entirely.

No, there are far more problems with Cry of Fear than just the jump scares.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Cry of Fear really broke Lowtax when he was playing it. It was a pretty funny LP, even when the game got so bad he couldn't get himself to finish it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

So it turns out this game is REALLY lazy with it's models.

Episode 10: Mind Meld

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

You don't trip in Cry of Fear if you don't run at the stairs, iirc. So unless you're doing this on purpose it can be avoided.

Game still sucks though, and I could be misremembering anyway.

Echo Cian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 4, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

They brought Sulu down to the planet because he was the shuttle pilot.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They brought Sulu down to the planet because he was the shuttle pilot.

It just seems like a really terrible idea to send Sulu down there when any other rear end in a top hat who can pilot a shuttle would do just as well. Then again it's also a really terrible idea for the captain and second in command to undertake a dangerous rescue mission, but I guess that's how Star Trek works.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Echo Cian posted:

You don't trip in Cry of Fear if you don't run at the stairs, iirc. So unless you're doing this on purpose it can be avoided.

Game still sucks though, and I could be misremembering anyway.

No, you're correct, it's definitely avoidable. Pretty much the only reason I'm not running in the LP is because I think it's less watchable, and I might miss something. It's been a few years since I played it (and I have a bad memory), so I'm playing almost half blind.

If I was for some reason playing this on my own, I'd be trying to get through it as fast as possible (like the second or third time I played it). It's a goldsrc mod, but they took out a LOT of stuff like cheats, quicksaving and tons of non-cheaty console commands, which makes multiple playthroughs a real boring chore when you can't just run everywhere.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We're on a seriously time limited mission where we've told the ship to leave without us. Let's wait to have Bones change his suit so we can mock him rather than just ordering him to do his loving job.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It just seems like a really terrible idea to send Sulu down there when any other rear end in a top hat who can pilot a shuttle would do just as well. Then again it's also a really terrible idea for the captain and second in command to undertake a dangerous rescue mission, but I guess that's how Star Trek works.
Actually it's a great idea, sending a regular unnamed crew member in a red shirt is guaranteed failure. :downs:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Poil posted:

Actually it's a great idea, sending a regular unnamed crew member in a red shirt is guaranteed failure. :downs:

Also while the trip down is guaranteed because Kirk and Spock are on the shuttle, the trip back is anywhere from doomed to 'transporter shenanigans' without a non-redshirt pilot.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Except this takes place between movies 1 and 2 and therefore anybody who was in the second movie is going to live no matter what.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Except this takes place between movies 1 and 2 and therefore anybody who was in the second movie is going to live no matter what.

At least until parallel universes accidentally get involved.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
This time it's another double feature, because part 3 is short.

Part 3 - Into the Game Files (and the Sewers)
Part 4 - Into the out of the Sewers [Contains a visual representation of a suicide]

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kjetting posted:

Cry of Fear really broke Lowtax when he was playing it. It was a pretty funny LP, even when the game got so bad he couldn't get himself to finish it.
No jokes when you say it broke him. :allears:

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
In case you didn't see in my op, I'm updating Wednesdays and Saturdays now.

Part 5 - Into the Garden of Madness

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
This really is a terrible, terrible, not really scary horror game. Thanks for suffering through it for us. I love the goofy monsters and the completely expressionless main character.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
Things get pretty serious this time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chocolatekake posted:

Things get pretty serious this time.

So did these guys play Silent Hill and decide that its problem was that it was trying to develop a character over the course of the game rather than all at once?

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Glazius posted:

So did these guys play Silent Hill and decide that its problem was that it was trying to develop a character over the course of the game rather than all at once?

I think they didn't quite get what made Silent Hill effective (as a horror game, or as a story) from what very little I remember from the commentary tracks. Simon has the flashback about confessing his feelings for Sophie after they just had a long conversation that made it seem like that didn't actually happen.

Anyway, here's the next thrilling gun-stallment.

Cry of Fear Part 7 - Into the Defusing of a Situation

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 16, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Huh, Cry of Fear is worse than I remembered. I'm still seeing little bits of good ideas here and there, but drowning in enemy hordes and bad dialogue.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it is a pretty neat touch that your flashlight goes out when you reload. I could definitely see that being a worthwhile mechanic somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The scene in the school where you're getting the fuse is even kinda cool in a horror way: you go through an area devoid of enemies, then suddenly the lights go out and admittedly creepy enemies start rushing around corners at you. The sound effects seem to be trying to make it seem like the building is full of a whole horde of Faceless. Unfortunately, the backtracking and limited inventory (combined with the lack of respawning enemies to present a constant threat) make it annoying.

• Locked thread