Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
labors line of attack will be footage of shorten pissing in the wind culminating in the words "don't vote green"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Labor can run with a lot of things, I'm waiting to see what it is because the Coalition's line of attack is obvious. Especially if you have public footage of Shorten, Rudd and Gillard in Court.
:ughh:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On the other hand Anidav

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?
Probably opening myself up to ridicule, but here we go:

Last election we had the following third-party senators voted in:
2/6 in NSW, TAS, VIC, WA (8/24)
1/6 in QLD
3/6 in SA

Assuming voting makeup follows similar lines, with double the senate spots up for grabs, we should see double those numbers:

4/12 in NSW, TAS, VIC, WA (16/48)
2/12 in QLD
6/12 in SA

Coming to a total of 24.

Commence destroying of my lovely math and assumptions!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Each party should just run the other sides ads but in monochrome and shifted to a minor key.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Won't the senate voting changes change everything anyway?

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?
It's predicated on the gaping assumption that those that voted third party ATL in the previous election will likely vote other third-parties as their subsequent preferences, rather than going 1 IND, 2 LNP, 3 ALP or whatever. It's hard to know as well how many will follow senate HTV cards and how many will leak preferences to their own choices.

The point I guess is that traditionally there's a lower barrier to a senate seat in a DD election by virtue of lower quota requirements, working in favour of the third parties.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bent Wookiee posted:

1/6 in QLD
3/6 in SA

Assuming voting makeup follows similar lines, with double the senate spots up for grabs, we should see double those numbers:

2/12 in QLD
6/12 in SA

Coming to a total of 24.

The PuP party raised a lot of bluster and bullshit on the back of trump esque stupid granstanding by fat shitlord palmer. Without him funnelling profits from his mining interests into media buys I really doubt we see the third party candidates increase continue. In fact I think we'd see the conservative voter base who were swayed by his campaign go back to the coalition.

I would think Motoring party dickhead, Lazarus and Dio Wang would be ousted since Wang was elected from WA where the mining money was and is their lifeblood and Palmer banged the drum loudest of all. Lazarus was elected with just 9% of the vote and only got to 14 because of preferences which I don't think would be repeated given attitudes in QLD shifting recently back to the LNP.

My overall point I guess is that 3 of the senators currently holding seats in Lambie, Wang and Lazarus got there because of Palmers deep pockets, the people who voted them in, in all liklihood won't do so again and are more likely to go back to the LNP than vote for a 3rd party candidate.

Palmer becoming a ruin has only increased the LNP base whereas the emergence of the Greens as an actual accepted option is only detracting from Labors.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
this is from a month ago, but this is Dio Wang wanting the ABCC to become a federal ICAC

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/01/dio-wang-aims-to-create-national-icac-by-amending-building-watchdog-bill

quote:

Dio Wang aims to create 'national Icac' by amending building watchdog bill

Senator says a federal corruption body would focus not just on unions but public officials, politicians and white-collar crime

Dio Wang

Monday 1 February 2016 17.11 AEDT Last modified on Monday 1 February 2016 17.13 AEDT

The Palmer United Party senator Dio Wang will attempt to amend the Australian Building and Construction Commission (ABCC) bill to create a national corruption body, similar to the New South Wales Independent Commission Against Corruption (Icac).

The Turnbull government will present a bill to reinstate the ABCC as its first piece of legislation this year when parliament resumes on Tuesday.

The Senate blocked the legislation last year but the employment minister, Michaelia Cash, is hoping to use the secret sixth volume of the Trade Union Royal Commission report to convince senate crossbenchers to support the building industry watchdog.

Labor and the Greens will not have access to the confidential briefings, which, according to the government, must remain secret to protect witnesses named in the report.

But Wang is in the process of drafting an amendment to broaden the legislation to create a federal corruption commission, although he has yet to discuss the proposal with the government.

“Obviously the current situation with the building and construction industry is quite daunting given that the royal commission has made some serious findings,” Wang told Guardian Australia.

“But also there is corruption anywhere and everywhere so a national Icac would be a really good authority to deal with it.”

He said the ABCC approach was too narrow and there was a need for a federal corruption body to focus not just on unions but on public officials, politicians and white-collar crime.

“Given the royal commission has done its work and the government has had two or three years talking about this issue, I think it’s the right time,” he said. “We have enough momentum to talk about a national Icac now.”

The government needs six of the eight senate crossbenchers to pass the ABCC bill. If it is rejected again by the Senate, it provides another potential trigger for a double-dissolution election.

Asked whether the government would consider using the issue for a double dissolution, Cash said: “That is a thing that the PM would obviously need to authorise himself but certainly we have said we will take both of these policies to the next election whether that be sooner or later. We are prepared to go back to the Australian people as we did in 2013.”

The independent senator John Madigan also called on the Turnbull government to take a broader approach to corruption but would not comment on the federal corruption commission proposal until he had seen more details.

“When constituents approach me complaining of corruption, unfair practices and unconscionable conduct their complaints inevitably relate to their treatment at the hands of banks, financial planners, lawyers, accountants, valuers, doctors, builders, major supermarket chains or government departments,” he said.

“Not once has a constituent approached me to complain that they were ripped off by their union, yet this seems to be the government’s exclusive focus.”

Madigan said that illegal activities needed to be “stamped out” but criticised the Turnbull government’s approach as having “more than a whiff of ideology about it”.

He said if the government’s ABCC bill was aimed at corruption across the board he would sign up tomorrow.

“It is not just a happy coincidence for the Coalition that [Dyson] Heydon’s report appeared at the beginning of an election year,” he said.

“This gives it ammunition to, firstly, pressure the Senate to pass anti-union laws it previously rejected and, secondly, to fight an election campaign on this issue against an opponent it hopes will be sullied through its association with the union movement.”

The independent senator Jacqui Lambie told the ABC she would not support the ABCC bill while the government was considering making cuts to Medicare.

And the Liberal Democratic senator David Leyonhjelm wants to place an eight-year sunset clause on the legislation so it does not stay on the statute books indefinitely.

When the Greens tried to introduce a bill to establish a federal commission against corruption in 2014, Coalition senators argued the current multi-agency approach was sufficient to fight corruption while Labor senators argued that it was “premature”.

At the federal Labor conference last year, a former party vice-president, Tony Sheldon, who is the national secretary of the Transport Workers Union, included a motion for a federal Icac but it was taken down at the last minute.

At that time, the shadow special minister of state, Gary Gray, echoed the Coalition by saying the existing agencies were already working.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It is very hard to guess how preferences would go. That is going to be the big issue. Like I feel pretty comfortable in saying if the last election was a DD the senate would be like this before we have to go into preferences.

LNP 29
ALP 21
GRN 5
Nick X 3
Pup 2
Liberal Democrats 1

But that leaves a ton of seats left over with preferences. Like victoria has a HUGE drop off after the LNP, ALP and GRNs. It is little wonder that Muir snuck his way into the senate.

Bent Wookiee posted:

1/6 in QLD
3/6 in SA

2/12 in QLD
6/12 in SA

Coming to a total of 24.

Remember the quotas drop for the major parties too. The LNP won 2 seats in Victoria last federal election but if the result was repeated they would win a minimum of 5.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

BlindSite posted:

Palmer becoming a ruin has only increased the LNP base whereas the emergence of the Greens as an actual accepted option is only detracting from Labors.

I wouldn't be so certain about greens/labor. Last number I heard was only about 18% of greens votes follow htv cards (which usually recommend alp at 2).

And it's only a small sample I know, but early counts in the Brisbane ward I ran in, almost half of my greenies exhausted on first preference, and about a third of the remainder went liberal. And this wasn't inner city latte sippers, this is an area more "Australian" than western sydney.

E: yeah that^^

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?
All good points.

Has there been any indication or otherwise that Palmer is even going to contest the next election? His party is all but dead, as is his reputation, and he doesn't have the cash to throw at it this time. Add to that the feeling that he didn't even seem that interested once he got into parliament.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bonham or Farnsworth or someone has done a few estimates of what the new Senate could look like under a DD, but I can't find them at the moment.

asio posted:

I wouldn't be so certain about greens/labor. Last number I heard was only about 18% of greens votes follow htv cards (which usually recommend alp at 2).
I saw figures like that but I don't remember if it talked about how serious the deviations were (it's unlikely to matter if One Nation were ranked above or below Christian Democrats, for example).

It's generally true that about 75% of Greens preferences flow to Labor.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nam Taf posted:

Not a free market libertarian by any stretch but there are certainly some instances where outsourcing can yield efficiencies and deliver an overall-better result.

The company I work for operates a fleet of 50 machines. Around the world, there are several thousand of these machines. Many of the operators of these machines have decided to outsource the process of data gathering and predictive maintenance analysis to the manufacturer, as whilst we may be able to see a loose trend with 50 machines' worth of data, the manufacturer can see far more precise trends with many thousands of machines' data. We would never have access to the data from other operators but through this arrangement we can gain an indirect advantage from it. Instead, our maintenance team becomes more focused on executing tasks advised by the manufacturer than spending much of their time attempting to nail down fault finding with insufficient information.

To this extent, it makes sense to outsource that particular operation because it yields better results for us as it achieves something we otherwise could not.

On the other hand, many outsourcing attempts go to poo poo in many ways but the metrics used to measure 'success' are rigged from the start to show a success and thus people are given bonuses.
These examples (economy of scale) are numerous and all show a solid basis for outsourcing of some functions. Nobody has in house photocopier repairers. Almost nobody has in house plumbers.

The bit I've bolded is the part I've become insanely curious about. Over the last 30+ years of deliberate outsourcing and numerous business cases and bonuses you'd think finding examples would be easy peasy and it is certainly not.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Whatever it's called. A hearing, Testimony, Briefing, Summoning, ect ect.

butthold
Apr 5, 2009
The ABCC is hosed. It was established by Howard to gently caress over the CFMEU, it was never about union accountability or whatever the gently caress they claim to be about.

From today's Crikey:

Crikey posted:

Two aspects of Turnbull's double dissolution ploy are worth noting. First, the ABCC bill, which Turnbull labelled "a critical economic reform", is likely only to lead to higher levels of workplace injuries and fatalities in the construction industry, as happened under the ABCC in the Howard years. Moreover, construction sector productivity surged after the gutting of the ABCC by Labor, and construction industry wages growth trails other sectors of the economy. The ABCC also has extraordinary, security agency-level powers to target anyone in the community.

And another Crikey article from February:

Crikey 3/02/2016 posted:

Does construction need a watchdog with security agency powers?

Bernard Keane | Feb 03, 2016 12:51PM

The evidence justifying the draconian powers of the proposed re-established Australian Building and Construction Commission is thin on the ground, despite the government's claims.

The Building and Construction Industry (Improving Productivity) Bill 2013 (No. 2), reintroduced yesterday by the government, is a remarkable assault on some of the most basic rights Australians take for granted: the right to silence, the right to legal representation, the right against self-incrimination, the right to tell someone you've been interrogated against your will by overreaching bureaucrats. All of these are aimed at one union, the CFMEU, although the ABCC's reach will extend to other sectors like transport and manufacturing. And as we know from past experience, the ABCC in its former Howard-era incarnation is ready to use those powers, even against people with no role or interest in the construction industry who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Worse, some of its powers were exercised illegally.

This suite of powers, which is comparable in impact to the counter-terrorism powers wielded by security agencies in the so-called War on Terror, are justified by the government and employers on the basis claims of lawlessness and thuggery in the construction industry. But more specifically, it's about lifting the productivity of the construction industry - after all, that's the name of the bill. The explanatory memorandum for the current bill states:

"While the ABCC existed, the performance of the building and construction sector improved. For example, industry productivity improved, Australian consumers were better off and there was a significant reduction in days lost through industrial action."

You'd expect there to be a strong basis of evidence for giving draconian powers to such a body above and beyond the normal powers of Commonwealth and state police forces and courts, as well as the current Building Inspectorate within Fair Work Australia, which has specific powers of access and information-gathering. After all, those who want to reduce our rights should bear the burden of demonstrating why it is necessary. So how does the evidence for the need for such additional powers for a new ABCC stack up?

On industrial action, it's impossible to confirm the government's claims using independent data from the ABS. Its industry-specific industrial disputation data only goes back to 2008. We do know that, overall, the current level of industrial disputation is at historic lows, but that doesn't tell us much about construction. The original ABCC was established in 2005 and abolished in 2012, although its period of operation as a specifically anti-CFMEU entity finished in 2010, when Coalition favourite and industrial relations hardliner John Lloyd was replaced with Leigh Johns, under whom the ABCC began showing interest in other problems like sham contracting and tax avoidance rather than singlemindedly pursuing the CFMEU.

Then in opposition, the Coalition accused Labor of "neutering" the ABCC; Johns was attacked by Senator Eric Abetz for being a former ALP member. Johns has since been accused by former ABCC executive, current Building Inspectorate head and likely head of a new ABCC, Nigel Hadgkiss, of doing deals with the CFMEU. In 2011, Lloyd also attacked his successor, accusing him of deflecting the ABCC from its core mission in favour of pursuing "trendy issues" like sham contracting.

What we do know from the ABS data is that the average annual level of days lost per thousand employees in the construction industry increased significantly from 2008 to 2012 - but then fell back to near previous levels in 2013 and 2014. So far this year the level of days lost is well below mining — although mining is another area of CFMEU presence. But overall, days lost per thousand employees in construction is around six times the level of the overall economy.

So whether the level of disputes has gone up or not, construction does have more industrial disputation - although the CFMEU would argue that's because it's one of Australia's most dangerous industries. Safe Work Australia data shows construction is the third most dangerous industry, after agriculture and transport. Moreover, as Safe Work data also shows, under Howard's ABCC, workplace fatalities in the construction industry rose significantly, but they fell again once the ABCC was "neutered", reflecting how the Lloyd-era ABCC's goal was to gut the CFMEU rather than protect workers.

What about productivity? Fortunately we can turn to the Productivity Commission's 2014 study of the construction industry as part of its exhaustive report on infrastructure (the relevant volume is here). Here, the government story comes a cropper. The PC found:

"Productivity growth in the Australian construction sector has ebbed and flowed over the last 30 years. There was a significant increase in labour and multifactor productivity from 1994-95 to 2012-13. However, most of the improvement was concentrated in relatively short bursts spanning just a few years, including most recently in 2011-12."

That doesn't fit at all with the government's claims - particularly given productivity surged after the ABCC was "neutered" and distracted by "trendy" issues from 2010. The PC also noted that Australia fared well in international comparisons, although getting like-for-like data was difficult and more work was needed. But what evidence there is fits poorly with the government narrative:

What about costs? Employer groups and business are continually lamenting how construction in Australia is expensive compared internationally. The PC found evidence:

"There have been some recent significant increases in input costs, particularly labour and fuel costs … International comparisons of costs between Australia and counterpart countries are largely inconclusive, but do not support some recent claims (such as those made in BCA 2013) of very large cost differentials."

That "BCA 2013" reference, by the way, is to a report that Crikey demolished when the Business Council published it a couple of years ago. But the PC also noted that more recent data show softer labour market conditions that would reduce labour cost pressures in the industry. And ABS wage price index data reflects this: in the three years to the September quarter 2015, private construction industry wage costs slowed significantly from previous years and grew more slowly than wages in manufacturing, retailing, real estate and education - in fact, construction industry wages grew marginally below the average across all sectors.

So construction industry wage costs aren't growing any faster than the rest of the economy despite claims about CFMEU thugging employers, and productivity surged after the "neutering" of the ABCC. Only on industrial disputation do the stats back the "rogue union" line, but given the high stakes in terms of workplace injury and fatality - and the fact that the restoration of the ABCC may result in a rise in workplace deaths - that may reflect unsafe workplaces as much as union militancy.

It's on such weak foundations that the Coalition is launching a major attack on civil liberties and targeting one organisation. Evidence-based policy it isn't.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2016/02/03/does-construction-need-a-watchdog-with-security-agency-powers/

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Prison privatisations.

Along with this being terrible economics it is another example of quasi judicial powers being given to private companies. This can not end well. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-20/nsw-jails-private-prison-operators-ohn-morony-windsor/7261300 On ABC radio the minister said that it was a way to check if the private sector could do better. :jerkbag:
Doesn't WA have a private prison for exactly this purpose? It was a few years ago that I looked into it, but I remember it being a single prison trial. Obviously there's a huge incentive to succeed. If it works then the whole sector will get privatised and it's easy to take the results to bigger states. But the best results they could manage were that is didn't cost any more and didn't perform worse on whatever other metrics they were using than the other lovely prisons. If things had gotten better there's no way Elliot would have failed to mention it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hyperbowl posted:

Doesn't WA have a private prison for exactly this purpose? It was a few years ago that I looked into it, but I remember it being a single prison trial. Obviously there's a huge incentive to succeed. If it works then the whole sector will get privatised and it's easy to take the results to bigger states. But the best results they could manage were that is didn't cost any more and didn't perform worse on whatever other metrics they were using than the other lovely prisons. If things had gotten better there's no way Elliot would have failed to mention it.

Its a trial prison, owned by the State Government but run and managed by Serco. Acacia Prison.

From the few chats I have had with the assistant director of Acacia it seems to be managed pretty decently as far as prisons go, with the exception of their repeated gently caress ups with prisoner transport resulting in escapees.

I imagine the only reason its run in any decent way at all is because its not fully privatized but a test prison, and the moment the state decides to privatize it (and other prisons) fully is when service goes to complete poo poo at the prisoners expense.

Serco can't manage a loving hospital, thats for sure. Service at Fiona Stanly Hospital is loving terrible.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Acacia is a very good prison and the independent inspector of custodial services agrees

http://www.oics.wa.gov.au/?s=Acacia&submit=Search

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Here's all you need to know about this election.

With negative gearing in play, the central question will be "can the ALP convince boomers that gently easing the exponential rise of house prices by removing tax credits used only by the super rich is a good thing for the economy?"

Malcolm in a landslide.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So hey dudes labour shill Roy Morgan has a new poll out

quote:

In mid-March ALP support is 50.5% (up 3.5%) cf. L-NP 49.5% (down 3.5%) on a two-party preferred basis. If a Federal Election were held now the election would be too close to call.
Primary support for the L-NP is 40% (down 3%) with ALP at 33% (up 3.5%). Support for the Greens is up 1% to 14%, Nick Xenophon Team (NXT) 4% (down 1%), 18% in South Australia), Katter’s Australian Party is 1% (unchanged), Palmer United Party is 0% (down 0.5%) and Independents/ Others are at 8% (unchanged).

50.5-49.5 we've crossed over!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the ALP needs another 12 months to have any chance in an election

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

GoldStandardConure posted:

Its a trial prison, owned by the State Government but run and managed by Serco. Acacia Prison.

From the few chats I have had with the assistant director of Acacia it seems to be managed pretty decently as far as prisons go, with the exception of their repeated gently caress ups with prisoner transport resulting in escapees.

I imagine the only reason its run in any decent way at all is because its not fully privatized but a test prison, and the moment the state decides to privatize it (and other prisons) fully is when service goes to complete poo poo at the prisoners expense.

Serco can't manage a loving hospital, thats for sure. Service at Fiona Stanly Hospital is loving terrible.
http://www.oics.wa.gov.au/reports/90-report-announced-inspection-acacia-prison/recommendations/

quote:

The Department’s main Annual Report should provide an outline of the relative costs of different prisons, not merely an average cost across the whole system.

The Department should progress variations to the Acacia Prison Maintenance Agreement so that performance expectations are clear to all stakeholders, and contractor performance can be more effectively managed.

Acacia should ensure the detention unit is adequately staffed at all times and that staff adhere to operational procedures.

Acacia should immediately purchase a sufficient number of computers to meet the needs of adult literacy and numeracy students as well as external and business students.

Dynamic security had dropped back and custodial staff were spending too much time in offices and not interacting out in the units. Without a strong physical presence in the units, the risk of bullying, standover tactics and fighting increases.
For such a large prison, the number of computers available for prisoner use was far too low.
A new external store and training kitchen were built as part of the expansion and completed before schedule. However, the buildings remained empty.
Operational staff felt that communication from management had slipped.
I've previously accepted that this may be one of the few positive examples but it was too soon to tell. It's probably still too soon to tell.

-/-

My favourite part about an early election is the possibility of the LNP Right imploding before even the brought forward date can happen.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
For some reason people really resent an early election

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

Farkin oath voting is hard work oval office.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Negligent posted:

People don't like things being done for naked political gain.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just saw Biff Smorgen's counter-speech to the announcement and boy, let me tell you, it really makes you want to vote for Malcolm

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog on the Moon:

Kittens:

They continue to grow bigger and stronger.

Cat related news: Cat burglar: New Zealand woman appealing for owners of men's underwear stolen by naughty pet

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Man Lee is tearing turdbull to shreads on 730 :allears:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People don't like things being done for naked political gain.

or it's just the case that several weeks of pre-DD bullshit, plus 7ish weeks of actual campaign, is going to poo poo everyone right off.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

or it's just the case that several weeks of pre-DD bullshit, plus 7ish weeks of actual campaign, is going to poo poo everyone right off.

That too, but early elections piss people off in general.

Funnily enough this is still a shorter unofficial campaign than 2013's.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Cartoon posted:

The bit I've bolded is the part I've become insanely curious about. Over the last 30+ years of deliberate outsourcing and numerous business cases and bonuses you'd think finding examples would be easy peasy and it is certainly not.

It's difficult because in my experience it's semi-quantifiable stuff like response times to more complex IT issues (eg: when IT is outsourced but you're asking for more than a helpdesk jockey to diagnose your fault, for example instead for software to be tested and upgraded for the SOE)) or unquantifiable stuff, such as with institutional knowledge leaving the organisation and not being transferred to newer employees (i.e.: when we let our metallurgical engineer leave, and now just consult him back from a university-run commercial enterprise but because he's not around on a daily basis his experience isn't passed on). That sort of stuff accrues over time which is far in excess of bonus cycles or the attention span of a shareholder.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Huh. Makes you think if calling another election just after the Queensland council elections would backfire and make it swing Labor where there is an election winning amount of seats on about 1%?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Even though the senate has to vote no before a DD is officially called, they're going to be blasting out of the gate campaigning tomorrow, I can feel it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cartoon posted:

I've previously accepted that this may be one of the few positive examples but it was too soon to tell. It's probably still too soon to tell.

Agreed. Unfortunately I don't have any contact with the assistant director anymore, so I can't grill him about it at any work functions any more. (Also last time I spoke with him was before this report came out).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I am home from the stand up for Safe Schools rally in Brisbane. Write up soon maybe??

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Recoome posted:

I am home from the stand up for Safe Schools rally in Brisbane. Write up soon maybe??

And I'm home from the one in Melbourne. I'm not gonna write anything up, but suffice to say it was big, pretty amazing, and I'm going to come out to my best friends tonight even if it may be a bad idea because I think if I don't ride the energy off that I'll never tell them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Cleretic posted:

And I'm home from the one in Melbourne. I'm not gonna write anything up, but suffice to say it was big, pretty amazing, and I'm going to come out to my best friends tonight even if it may be a bad idea because I think if I don't ride the energy off that I'll never tell them.

Holy poo poo!

Good luck :)

Yeah I won't write anything except there was a lot of positive energy so yeah

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
So, being the horrible human being I am I decided to go to Politics in the Pub with Pat O' Neill and Tony Burke.

A fun time was had by all, especially when Tones recounted how he started a union as a paper boy. His boss said couldn't be in a union with one member, so he got the other paper boys involved; his boss said they didn't pay their union fees, so he got them to pay 25 cents each...

Moral of the story? :ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren: UP NEXT ON ACA, SLUSH FUNDS SET UP BY KIDS ARE DRIVING UP THE COST OF NEWSPAPER DELIVERIES :ducksiren::ducksiren::ducksiren:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/711838417919680512

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
So we're back to captain's calls.

• Locked thread