Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanz
May 30, 2013
looking at the lyrics to Orphans no Namida again and it's starting to feel like foreshadowing:

quote:

Orphans tears, love bears the burden of sorrow because it can make it stronger
You're on my mind; can you hear the blues that the sky sings?

Ah... The blue light that rises in the dark night hides your loneliness

The only thing that remains after the battle is sorrow
What do soldiers see in the fragments of their dreams?

Orphans, now we send a ship called hope out to the sky
You're on my mind; in this instant, the sky sings the blues
Orphans, friends, did you know the reason for your fight when you waved at me?
Love on my mind; in this age, we sing our grief through the blues

Bring peace to my beloved and happiness to the departed
What remains after soldiers' dreams?

Orphan's tears, people know sadness because it makes them more gentle
Peace of mind, can you hear it?
The sky sings a song of grief to you through the blues

Orphans, now we send a ship called hope out to the sky
You're on my mind; in this instant, the sky sings the blues
Orphans, friends, a future of freedom is described in your hands
Love on my mind; in this age, we sing our grief through the blues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

He's directly engaging Gaelio in a mobile suit battle unmasked. That says 'you have outlived your usefulness' to me.

Removing his mask while inside the suit doesn't reveal who he is to Gaelio. We'll have to wait for next episode to see if he's really revealed his identity and what Gaelio's reaction is. There's still room for them to just have a conversation instead of fighting to death.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lestaki posted:

Those aren't motives- that's a (excessively convoluted) plan. Even now we don't really know why he wants to burn the world down or what 'reforming Gjallahorn' actually means to him. It probably has something to do with his deprived childhood and his overbearing father, but we're still not sure.

They've dropped some seriously broad hints. We know that he's Iznario's bastard. We know that he was taken into his father's household when he was around about eight or ten. We know that his life before them was so deprived that he never learned to read. We know that everyone except Gaelio and Carta were classist dicks to him from that point onwards, treating him as a jumped-up commoner rather than a true Fareed. We know that when he became an adult, he was put into an arranged marriage with a nine-year-old in order to further his father's political ambitions, and he is way uncomfortable with this.

The reason for his grudge hasn't been outright stated yet (that'll probably happen next episode), but a clear shape has emerged over the course of the show.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Crushing the nobility that has a stranglehold on the entire solar system is a pretty understandable motive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Removing his mask while inside the suit doesn't reveal who he is to Gaelio. We'll have to wait for next episode to see if he's really revealed his identity and what Gaelio's reaction is. There's still room for them to just have a conversation instead of fighting to death.

It'd be really weird if Gaelio wouldn't recognize his best friend's voice the moment they spoke.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

Crushing the nobility that has a stranglehold on the entire solar system is a pretty understandable motive.

And we've been given some very personal reasons why he might want to do that. We don't have the full picture yet, but Earth's aristocratic system does not appear to have been very kind to McGillis.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Eej posted:

or, as Darth walrus said, it could just be "gently caress you, dad"

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Eej posted:

If you're a member of said nobility, it's actually not. But 'gently caress you dad' is an acceptable reason, I guess.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Lanz posted:

looking at the lyrics to Orphans no Namida again and it's starting to feel like foreshadowing:

I've always felt that ED was very "Valhalla" esque in its visuals.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lestaki posted:

If you're a member of said nobility, it's actually not. But 'gently caress you dad' is an acceptable reason, I guess.

There are plenty of times in actual history where minor nobles were involved with (or instigated) overthrowing the monarchy in order to implement a representative government though, with varying degrees of success.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be really weird if Gaelio wouldn't recognize his best friend's voice the moment they spoke.

We don't even know if Gaelio had a laser comm channel open with Gaelio when he spoke. They're not broadcasting their dialogue over a PA system!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

We don't even know if Gaelio had a laser comm channel open with Gaelio when he spoke. They're not broadcasting their dialogue over a PA system!

Contact communication seems to be a thing. As soon as they start slamming into each other, Gaelio will hear his ex-buddy loud and clear.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Whew, that solves that problem

That's hilarious, though it makes me wonder if they are half serious. Maybe I'm incredibly naive but I think they pulled the punches so to speak just enough to leave the possibility they survived. Like the blood we see doesn't seem to be a lethal amount to lose and I would have imagined that a giant, blunt-tipped drill breaching a cockpit would be way more messy (or more likely it would instantly turn cockpit space into drill space with little transition). It would go a long way to redeem Ein's character for me if on some level he knows this isn't what Crank would have wanted and is subconsciously reining himself in wherever he can or something like that. Them being alive would be pretty un-IBO, but maybe the writers are cashing in on that expectation they built. Maybe this is all desperate denial :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Contact communication seems to be a thing. As soon as they start slamming into each other, Gaelio will hear his ex-buddy loud and clear.

Right, but they weren't in contact when he removed his mask and spoke. They're several dozen metres away from each other.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon-Lime posted:

Right, but they weren't in contact when he removed his mask and spoke. They're several dozen metres away from each other.

Radio communications in Gundam has always been "Short" not non-existent, how short depends on the show and content. The only show that played it hard is G-reco where you did need to have physical contact to communicate, even then it gets inconsistant.

One smal exception is SEED where audio over a very large battlefield isn't possible so it falls back into text messages.

IBO rules never had a contact only rule, if fact you see them repeatedly use a radio, just over short distances, see every fight ever.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I just had this mental image of McGillis taking half an hour to put his mask on (explaining why he's late), adjusting the straps, carefully arranging the wig to cover his real hair and styling it just so, then sortieing and landing in front of Gaelio 5 minutes later only to dramatically rip it off inside his cockpit where absolutely nobody can see him.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Xy Hapu posted:

I just had this mental image of McGillis taking half an hour to put his mask on (explaining why he's late), adjusting the straps, carefully arranging the wig to cover his real hair and styling it just so, then sortieing and landing in front of Gaelio 5 minutes later only to dramatically rip it off inside his cockpit where absolutely nobody can see him.

That's Peak Gundam,right there.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If Carta survived the Barbatos, then hopefully Lafter and Azer survived the Graze Ein. One can hope, Lafter was a fun character, and she and Akihiro need to kiss.

Also, nobles joining up with revolutionaries is pretty rad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm assuming carta is dead from the avenging speech and i never saw pupils fading out as a sign that they lived.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Carta is confirmed KIA from the latest character chart on the official site. However, it's not been updated with the events of the last episode, so the fate of Shino and the Turbine ladies is still on the air. (And Ride, too.)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

So,since we're pretty close to the end,what are the thread's general thoughts on the show? It's personally one of my favorite non-UC shows, an 8 out of 10 (would be a 9 if Naze got less screentime).

I'm pretty much with you, I haven't enjoyed a non-G Gundam this much since Zeta. The middle of the show was fairly weak, but the beginning and end have been excellent. I'll take the Brewers and loving Naze Turbine if it means I finally get a Gundam show that isn't afraid to do things differently and has some of the highest highs in the franchise.

I'm kind of hoping Lafter and Shino made it, it is a waste of screentime for both of them to die without taking their characters anywhere and just hinting at where they could have gone.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

oohhboy posted:

Radio communications in Gundam has always been "Short" not non-existent

I am not arguing the opposite. Please actually read the posts in the conversation you responded to. :)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon-Lime posted:

I am not arguing the opposite. Please actually read the posts in the conversation you responded to. :)

You both seem really confused as to what is going on.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I woke up this morning and I was still furious that Lafter died.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As much as I'd love to see Gaelio utterly wreck McGillis' smug face...there's a part of me that's expecting McGillis to go "Oh by the way, you killing me was part of my convoluted plan too, sucker!".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

If Carta survived the Barbatos, then hopefully Lafter and Azer survived the Graze Ein. One can hope, Lafter was a fun character, and she and Akihiro need to kiss.

Also, nobles joining up with revolutionaries is pretty rad.

Not a bad pick, but I was kind of assuming, in the spirit of Gundam, you'd go a bit more gently caress you dad.

(Seriously, dude was a major general at the age of 19. That is an anime acceptable age to be getting promoted.)

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Logicblade posted:

Considering Ein's level of integration with his suit, I am hoping something like this is what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&t=33s

Leaving only a (mobile suit sized) scratch on the gooey center!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Logicblade posted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AradoBalanga posted:

As much as I'd love to see Gaelio utterly wreck McGillis' smug face...there's a part of me that's expecting McGillis to go "Oh by the way, you killing me was part of my convoluted plan too, sucker!".
That would be a hilarious plan by McGillis. But that would mean his plan is to make himself a martyr to push for his reforms, and I wager he wants something a little more painful for his father and the nobility.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EDIT: mobile posting is risky posting

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

That would be a hilarious plan by McGillis. But that would mean his plan is to make himself a martyr to push for his reforms, and I wager he wants something a little more painful for his father and the nobility.

Yeah, like I said way back when, McGillis feels a lot like gankutsuou's take on the count of monte cristo. The only thing that'll stop his desire for vengeance is going to be either the death of the people that slighted him, including their descendants or his own death. Its always felt that the reforms have been an excuse to carry out what he wants to do on a personal level.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, like I said way back when, McGillis feels a lot like gankutsuou's take on the count of monte cristo. The only thing that'll stop his desire for vengeance is going to be either the death of the people that slighted him, including their descendants or his own death. Its always felt that the reforms have been an excuse to carry out what he wants to do on a personal level.

Or, in Gundam terms:

He is a CHAR.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

chiasaur11 posted:

Not a bad pick, but I was kind of assuming, in the spirit of Gundam, you'd go a bit more gently caress you dad.

(Seriously, dude was a major general at the age of 19. That is an anime acceptable age to be getting promoted.)

To be fair, that guy didn't get paid until a decade after the war. He was an unpaid volunteer major general at 19. Speaking of which, how many Gundam protagonists cared about getting paid for their actions? The Tekkadan have taken this job far more seriously than its pay grade deserves.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

golden bubble posted:

To be fair, that guy didn't get paid until a decade after the war. He was an unpaid volunteer major general at 19. Speaking of which, how many Gundam protagonists cared about getting paid for their actions? The Tekkadan have taken this job far more seriously than its pay grade deserves.

it pays "not starving to death on Mars" wages, and that's good enough

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

boom boom boom posted:

it pays "not starving to death on Mars" wages, and that's good enough

That and they've always explained it as doing it not just for the wages but for just how god damned prolific a mission it will be once its done, thus establishing themselves as a PMC that can Get poo poo Done(tm) despite being, technically, brand new. It's a mix of pay and reputation/advertisement from the beginning. With a lot of the justification for not giving up being that it'd tank their reputation before they even really got off the ground.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Zebulon posted:

That and they've always explained it as doing it not just for the wages but for just how god damned prolific a mission it will be once its done, thus establishing themselves as a PMC that can Get poo poo Done(tm) despite being, technically, brand new. It's a mix of pay and reputation/advertisement from the beginning. With a lot of the justification for not giving up being that it'd tank their reputation before they even really got off the ground.

Way back when, Biscuit directly asks Orga why they don't find another course of action, such as subcontracting the job out. He doesn't think it's worth the risks, and points out that if they do subcontract it out, it won't really hurt them at all. It's the low-risk, lower-reward play - good for a starting mercenary company like Tekkedan.

Orga responds that the real reason he wants to do the job is because Mika's always watching him, and he can't back down in front of Mika. All of the above are just flimsy justifications on top of that.

Orga and Tekkedan are not motivated by any sort of business logic, especially not now that they've gone into full bloodlust mode.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

ShiroIchida posted:

Way back when, Biscuit directly asks Orga why they don't find another course of action, such as subcontracting the job out. He doesn't think it's worth the risks, and points out that if they do subcontract it out, it won't really hurt them at all. It's the low-risk, lower-reward play - good for a starting mercenary company like Tekkedan.

Orga responds that the real reason he wants to do the job is because Mika's always watching him, and he can't back down in front of Mika. All of the above are just flimsy justifications on top of that.

Orga and Tekkedan are not motivated by any sort of business logic, especially not now that they've gone into full bloodlust mode.

Pretty much. The public answer's always been the pay and advertising/reputation, though. But a lot of it undeniably does come down to Orga's pride and his unwillingness to look weak/cowardly in front of Mika.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Despite Biscuit's protestations to the contrary, I don't think Tekkadan ever had a choice about hitching themselves to Kudelia. After seizing CGS for themselves and becoming Tekkadan, they were months away from financial insolvency and dissolution. They could look for safer jobs or subcontract, but they have a huge loving image problem insofar as they're a bunch of illiterate children and human debris whose last two actions before forming Tekkadan were fighting an open battle with the most powerful military in the solar system followed by drugging and murdering their previous superior officers. This is not a resume that is going to make other companies or clients eager to work with them, at least on terms that could be considered remotely positive for Tekkadan. Even if they had refused Kudelia or found another company to subcontract the job to, they'd then have to live in perpetual fear of Gjallarhorn eventually smacking them down with a retaliation strike at some point, which is not something that they as an independent organization could possibly withstand(which is why they used Kudelia's pull to get them into Teiwaz).

Orga's desire to impress Mika has played heavily into the specific decisions that he has made while on the Kudelia mission, but I don't think it was the deciding factor for Orga deciding to work with her in the first place. That was pretty much the only practical decision to be made at the time.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think tekkadan's reputation was pretty much established when even the average worker in the colony knew who they were and referred to them as knights. Once they got Kudelia on earth it's more than likely they could have got some decent lesser risk contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is 25 the last episode or is it going to 26?

I had such genuine shock to this episode, I couldn't tell you how it'll end.

• Locked thread