Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

So what do we know about Gove's planned prison reforms? I just know that they're big, and that they're probably happening provided the Conservative Party doesn't explode in the next few weeks.
Mandatory lessons in British History and Goveathonics for all prisoners.

e: 1999 - Gary Glitter gets done by PC World.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah but it can't spend any money, which is a rather more urgent and pressing problem.

Spending has already been allocated and budgets drawn down to cover until about the end of July to allow time for the Supply and Appropriations bill to get assent - the departments can keep whirling on what they have for a couple of months if no Finance bill is passed, and if there is a defeat then there will be a clock running to get things started again.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
This graph on Newsnight is being used very nicely to spear Nicky Morgan.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fans posted:

The press just wants more IDS drama. It's not a mystery. It's like when they complain he doesn't make jokes or give out soundbites during PMQ's and that makes him weak.

Corbyn's got a good line on Osborne right now and that's who he should take down. Bringing down the Conservative's economic credentials is a real possibility right now, eyes on the prize.

I mean here he is slaying it on Sky News of all places calling IDS a dick and getting some nice hits in anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEVWHGQGfA

"Whatever Osborne's five year plan is, it's always five years away" is a pretty good line imo.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Nicky Morgan is sitting in front of this giant awful tory graph on Newsnight

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Ok that was a disastrous QT last week and now she's on Newsnight...who's bonfire did Nicky Morgan poo poo on?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Love Like Blood posted:

Oh that was glorious. All Tories should sit in front of that graph all the time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

lmao this shower of bastards has never had to face a media that asks any questions, let alone throws graphs like that up, it's amazing

e; not that I want to overstate the case or anything, it's not like the media is actively hostile to them or anything, but having sensed blood in the water their desire to make a headline is helping us.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Love Like Blood posted:

what, exactly, is this showing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Oh that was glorious. All Tories should sit in front of that graph all the time.
I can think of other things to sit in front of.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Foppery posted:

How relatively well off people are after the new budget lands

the poor are hosed

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
"This is the first time I've seen this graph*. Obviously, I do look at these things very carefully."

*A virtually identical graph was front and centre in the IFS' budget analysis and presumably also in the Treasury's own unpublished distributional analysis

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Foppery posted:

Like it says across the top, it's the percentage impact on total incomes of the budget across the deciles of income. Showing only a tiny uptick for the 9th decile, and massively more impact on the bottom 3.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Foppery posted:

Exactly what it says on the title of the graph? If you want more detail, the numbers are from the IFS: http://www.ifs.org.uk/tools_and_resources/budget/512

e: here's the complex version of the graph:

It's showing changes in post-tax/benefit annual income for people at different levels of income caused by changes in taxation and benefits introduced in this parliament and planned to come into force between 2015 and 2020.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 22, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I can think of other things to sit in front of.

Giving them a chair for that?

Get in front of the wall. No chair for you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

LemonDrizzle posted:

Exactly what it says on the title of the graph? If you want more detail, the numbers are from the IFS: http://www.ifs.org.uk/tools_and_resources/budget/512

tbf on my monitor that title is so difficult to make out that I didn't know there was one until you stated so.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I knew the budget was going to be a bad one, but holy poo poo - an almost 10% reduction in the income of the very poorest?

I literally am utterly lost for words

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

e: here's the complex version of the graph:

It's showing changes in post-tax/benefit annual income for people at different levels of income caused by changes in taxation and benefits introduced in this parliament and planned to come into force between 2015 and 2020.

I don't quite understand what the green and yellow bits mean, and how they relate to each other.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Foppery posted:

If you stick the heads of several foxes onto them, the word "cruel" starts flashing.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't quite understand what the green and yellow bits mean, and how they relate to each other.
Green bits show the effects of measures announced in previous budgets that will come into force during this parliament. The yellow bits show the additional effects of the policies announced in the March 2016 budget.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Darth Walrus posted:

Green is all the poo poo they've already said they're going to do, yellow is this budget. Their previous measures rob the poor and this one gives to the rich.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Green is as-of autumn statement, yellow is how it's changed as of this week's announcements. So basically for any positive yellow it means they've gained money, and any negative yellow means they've now lost money. Come April 1st.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Foppery posted:

It's tories.xcl

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-35864037

I don't think you can tell a Parliamentary committee to gently caress off m8 but uh good luck I guess?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Green bits show the effects of measures announced in previous budgets that will come into force during this parliament. The yellow bits show the additional effects of the policies announced in the March 2016 budget.

So this budget gave small perks to many people (and big ones to the rich), but not big enough to offset the giant thunderfucking everyone will be getting from the previously-announced measures for this parliament?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mister Adequate posted:

lmao this shower of bastards has never had to face a media that asks any questions, let alone throws graphs like that up, it's amazing

e; not that I want to overstate the case or anything, it's not like the media is actively hostile to them or anything, but having sensed blood in the water their desire to make a headline is helping us.

No, even the star of the week has been sat in front of graphs and his get out is 'I don't believe this'

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Darth Walrus posted:

to add to what everyone said, the black triangle is the raw £ gain/loss of the green and yellow bits added together, and the white square is that number as a percentage of your income, on the right axis.

Darth Walrus posted:

So this budget gave small perks to many people (and big ones to the rich), but not big enough to offset the giant thunderfucking everyone will be getting from the previously-announced measures for this parliament?

Yes. If the triangle and square markers are below the zero line, you're worse off. If it's above, better off. Only the ninth decile is better off, which represents the richest 19% +

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Love Like Blood posted:

I think that graph would be awesome to use in a political campaign; posters and billboards etc. It's independently calculated, simple enough that the man on the street can understand, and the shape is so blatant that it would stick in people's minds. It just needs pairing with a suitable slogan and someone with an advertising budget.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Exactly. Welcome to Tory hegemony.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kustomkarkommando posted:

Spending has already been allocated and budgets drawn down to cover until about the end of July to allow time for the Supply and Appropriations bill to get assent - the departments can keep whirling on what they have for a couple of months if no Finance bill is passed, and if there is a defeat then there will be a clock running to get things started again.

Yes, that's the Vote On Account which I've mentioned half a dozen times already, and which some of the more fevered imaginations in the blogosphere have been suggesting could be defeated because they completely and totally misunderstand how Parliament works and have whipped what might be a possible small-scale rebellion in the Finance Bill debate into, well, the sort of things people have been posting all day here.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Tesseraction posted:

Exactly. Welcome to Tory hegemony.

Also the graph looks even worse if you see the long game one from 2010 to 2020.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"But Mr Corbyn, why do you keep having to answer questions about whether or not you're a racist?"

The fact that Jeremy didn't say "because you keep asking them you pillock" is a testament to his possibly misguided self-control.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince John posted:

Also the graph looks even worse if you see the long game one from 2010 to 2020.

I don't see you sharing it...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Love Like Blood posted:

this is fantastic

my two great loves, graphs and bothering tories, together at last

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

It just needs pairing with a suitable slogan and someone with an advertising budget.
I can think of some but I'm not sure if they're allowed on public billboards.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
From the Times, on Osborne:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wanna see what happens in them polls after all of this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

From the Times, on Osborne:

Date?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Tomorrow's edition (well, today's now, but y'know...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So Osborne's basically out of the leadership race and he's (James) Murdoch's golden boy, I don't know if the actual Tory membership likes Boris enough and after that you've got Gove and May who are basically beneath consideration.

Who the gently caress is gonna win this thing? I think maybe a dark horse candidate. That or Bojo but I don't think he can actually win a general, he'd have swept it in 2010 but hes not as much of a LEJEEERND now.

• Locked thread