Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I went to go case Lumpen but find constructing anything out of his posts to be really difficult, which in turn makes me wonder if that's a strategy. Are Lumpen Lists still a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a thing. last time i played with lumpen he made like a compilation of lumpen lists. he was scum tho and they didnt catch any scum so its one of those things where the beholder is skewed indefinitely by the scion of truth

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Murmur Twin posted:

I went to go case Lumpen but find constructing anything out of his posts to be really difficult, which in turn makes me wonder if that's a strategy. Are Lumpen Lists still a thing?

I motion that we officially change it to Rarity Rankings

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

I motion that we officially change it to Rarity Rankings

You have to at least provide them if you want a claim on the title!

Also it dawned on me that usually by day 3, when Jake is town I have a strong town read on him because he sounds hungry to sniff out who the scum is. His voice this game feels more detached (mafia theory, club men stuff, lower-effort cases, setup spec) and I'd be willing to bet he's scum.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Murmur Twin posted:

He has the whole Scum Mind theory that makes it possible that intentionally obfuscating his posts is his clever way around having his theory turned around on him.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Well yesterdays lynch was mostly predetermined and was a claimed bad guy so I haven't had to try very hard so far. I think my day 1 was p good.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

JakeP posted:

Well yesterdays lynch was mostly predetermined and was a claimed bad guy so I haven't had to try very hard so far. I think my day 1 was p good.

I guess my point is that (from my POV) usually when you're trying hard it's because you presumably enjoy the challenge of hunting scum, not because you "have to".

JakeP posted:

Interesting that you call someone out on making an easy read, when your only reads this game have been Jimson is scum, and Imgay hasn't posted content

Like here I feel like town Jake would have cased BHB - this is just sort of calling out suspicious behavior and then doing nothing with it. It's not a rock-solid case by any means but to me it feels off from what I would normally expect.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

My gut says Quidnose is scum.

##vote Quidnose

No, Quidnose is a good dude and I'm pretty confident he's not scum.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Most of my reads are town ones, guess it's time to do some rereading.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Kashuno posted:

Something had definitely occurred, although what it had been who could say? Well, surely someone could say, but would they want to?
Lumpen wanted to say what the occurrence had been, but could he? Nobody knew. Until, that is, he said what it had been, the occurrence. It sure was something, he assured the party.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Murmur Twin posted:

Like here I feel like town Jake would have cased BHB - this is just sort of calling out suspicious behavior and then doing nothing with it. It's not a rock-solid case by any means but to me it feels off from what I would normally expect.

I mean that is me casing BHB for the most part. The only case you can make on him is that he hasn't posted much, and the couple relevant posts he has made are calling that one player that everyone says is scum scum, and calling out imgays post history

I guess I didn't expressly say it, but I would vote BHB

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumpen posted:

Lumpen wanted to say what the occurrence had been, but could he? Nobody knew. Until, that is, he said what it had been, the occurrence. It sure was something, he assured the party.

Has anyone noticed Lumpen making any actual posts of substance this game? I'd ask him directly but I wouldn't get a straight answer.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
nobody else is really coming across super scummy to me. I think a lot of players are kind of waiting for things to happen, maybe a bit moreso than would be usual for them. KK, KB, and TMM are three players who come to mind that seem to be playing differently than I am used to seeing them play as town

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Lumpen could be scum I guess, but I dunno, something tells me he wouldn't be posting like this as scum, and is more likely some vanilla town goofing around because his role sucks

I know that sounds dumb but thats just how i feel

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

JakeP posted:

I mean that is me casing BHB for the most part. The only case you can make on him is that he hasn't posted much, and the couple relevant posts he has made are calling that one player that everyone says is scum scum, and calling out imgays post history

I guess I didn't expressly say it, but I would vote BHB

Except I never called Jimson scum. I thought he was the best lynch candidate of D1 because he was playing not to die and in doing so being super unhelpful, but the first person who struck me as playing a Scum Game so far is imgay, which everyone tells me is wrong because he shitposts constantly. Speaking of which I'm disappointed in TMM for not using his vig on him instead.

I challenge Lumpen to List, and if he does so I will do so in return.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

##vote Lumpen

He's made zero calls all game, beyond thudnerdoming with me, which wasn't based in fact or scumhunting.

Hiding behind a "too scummy to be scum" PR at this point. Dude is scum, vote for better tomorrow.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

imgay has been great and thoughtful the last several games I've been against him as scum and he's doing none of that now so I would be willing to cuddle him as well.

I believe TMM is town based on his vig claim, although I guess it could be a ballsy play if they know something else is going on, but with the SK out and two NK's it's prooooobably unlikely.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

The lack of a D1 flip combined with the SK confession and flip on D2 has made this a really challenging game for us

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

I also use the being sent home terminology, in addition to cuddling and voted out.

You are twisting things badly for your own ends, imho.

You have a vote on me and I was like "when did KB even start 'considering' me as scum," and then this is here. This is an odd read, to me, I am not sure what "ends" I was going to be twisting a scum read on Jimson for? Can you elaborate on why you felt this way and said this at the time, KB?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quidnose posted:

imgay has been great and thoughtful the last several games I've been against him as scum and he's doing none of that now so I would be willing to cuddle him as well.

sorry but last time i put my foot foward and tried hard, i got immeadiately killed

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone countered tmm on 2nd kill?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Quidnose posted:

You have a vote on me and I was like "when did KB even start 'considering' me as scum," and then this is here. This is an odd read, to me, I am not sure what "ends" I was going to be twisting a scum read on Jimson for? Can you elaborate on why you felt this way and said this at the time, KB?

This seems kind of obvious to me, but you were trying to get a town power role voted out? Like, I'm frankly confused at what you think you are asking here that isn't already presented. What other answers would there even be to this question?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

This seems kind of obvious to me, but you were trying to get a town power role voted out? Like, I'm frankly confused at what you think you are asking here that isn't already presented. What other answers would there even be to this question?

Why Quid over TM?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

And also myself and many other people thought he was lying with that lovely soft claim.

That statement at the time you made it reads more like you know a Jimson cuddle would result in a miscuddle.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

Why Quid over TM?

One has nothing to do with the other. TMM hasn't twisted any words to try and get him cuddled. He just killed him. With his theoretical town vig powers.

Quidnose posted:

And also myself and many other people thought he was lying with that lovely soft claim.

That statement at the time you made it reads more like you know a Jimson cuddle would result in a miscuddle.

It reads like I believed his claim and like I thought you are twisting his words. The post in question was in no way scummy.

It is very easy to hide behind "lots of people thought he was lying" as scum who is trying to get a power role cuddled.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Quidnose posted:

Can we also look at the subtle way in which Jimson is disengaging himself from taking responsibility for the BK cuddle, just in case something goes weird and we somehow miscuddle town? He's not a PART of the cuddle, BK is just being sent home. I think this is a strong indicator of Jimson's mindset, what an awkward, scummy way to phrase this.

Seriously, look at this post again. This is nonsense.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Nah, I think you're twisting the events, which you have all out of order currently, to support YOUR narrative, in an attempt to get a vocal town voice removed from the game through a miscuddle.

Let's look at your initial post:

King Burgundy posted:

I also use the being sent home terminology, in addition to cuddling and voted out.

You are twisting things badly for your own ends, imho.

This is so drat open ended. All you're doing here is chastising me for taking a semantic look at Jimson, which is a valid thing to, at the very least, speculate on in a mafia game. NOWHERE here do you mention Jimson's soft-claim of a role as a reason for me doing this - purely that I have some sort of "objective" I am playing at meeting. It's very easy with Jimson flipping as a PR and his statement confirmed to point back at this non-descriptive statement and say "I was CLEARLY referring to Jimson being a power-role and you wanting to get rid of him," but you don't mention Jimson and his claim in any. of. your. posts.

And furthermore, the out of order part: You'll recall that I missed Jimson's claim of being a PR, and Asiina asked me about that and I went back to look at his post AFTER this exchange between the two of us. Are you saying that I saw he was a power role and that I somehow...anticipated I'd be asked about it? How does this work in your mind?

I asked you what you meant by "twisting your own words" because I wanted to understand your mindset at the time. You haven't explained that, except to say "my mindset is there and it stands for itself." It's not. This is a scummy statement I have quoted, for the very reasons I have pointed out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm feeling better about Quid after this recent run of posts, they're coming from a logical perspective. I was still suss on Jimson after his softclaim and so were a lot of others so I can't blame TM too much for vigging him although he really should have announced it in the thread during the night to give Jimson a chance to claim. Right now I'm most concerned about kordansk, Lumpen and KB. I'll give each of them a reread tomorrow after work and see what shakes out. Though at the way he's going kordansk will be modkilled anyway come deadline so I'm going to ##unvote for now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Quidnose posted:

Nah, I think you're twisting the events, which you have all out of order currently, to support YOUR narrative, in an attempt to get a vocal town voice removed from the game through a miscuddle.

Let's look at your initial post:

This is so drat open ended. All you're doing here is chastising me for taking a semantic look at Jimson, which is a valid thing to, at the very least, speculate on in a mafia game. NOWHERE here do you mention Jimson's soft-claim of a role as a reason for me doing this - purely that I have some sort of "objective" I am playing at meeting. It's very easy with Jimson flipping as a PR and his statement confirmed to point back at this non-descriptive statement and say "I was CLEARLY referring to Jimson being a power-role and you wanting to get rid of him," but you don't mention Jimson and his claim in any. of. your. posts.

And furthermore, the out of order part: You'll recall that I missed Jimson's claim of being a PR, and Asiina asked me about that and I went back to look at his post AFTER this exchange between the two of us. Are you saying that I saw he was a power role and that I somehow...anticipated I'd be asked about it? How does this work in your mind?

I asked you what you meant by "twisting your own words" because I wanted to understand your mindset at the time. You haven't explained that, except to say "my mindset is there and it stands for itself." It's not. This is a scummy statement I have quoted, for the very reasons I have pointed out.

Explain to me what other ends I could be talking about? I've asked you once and you ignored it, and you are going back to the same well here. So explain to me other possibilities that are logical that I could have been referring to?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Quidnose posted:

I didn't notice this before, but no, if you actually hadn't read it yet, then you wouldn't know he is a power role. But, you are expecting me to trust you on that. :shrug:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Are you...asking me to answer the question I posited to you with theoretical musings about what you may or may not have been getting at? :confused:

I have no idea what other ends you could have been referring to, which is why I asked you to tell me your thought process. Your response to that was "my thought process is obvious, what else could I have meant" which is a non-answer. Now you are trying to turn this around on me for dodging the question when...I was the one who asked in the first place? What even is this.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

I'm feeling better about Quid after this recent run of posts, they're coming from a logical perspective.

I really don't think they are.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Quidnose posted:

Are you...asking me to answer the question I posited to you with theoretical musings about what you may or may not have been getting at? :confused:

I have no idea what other ends you could have been referring to, which is why I asked you to tell me your thought process. Your response to that was "my thought process is obvious, what else could I have meant" which is a non-answer. Now you are trying to turn this around on me for dodging the question when...I was the one who asked in the first place? What even is this.

Quid. Did you miss the part where I answered before I asked you a follow up? I know the answer to this question, it is no. Because you've already talked about it and I've responded. So why are you now acting like I haven't answered?

There is only one logical answer. I gave it. You are positing that I made that statement in a slippery fashion so I could fill it with whatever I wanted. The burden of proof is thus on you, to tell me what other theoretical positions I could have taken based on that post.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Quidnose posted:

Your response to that was "my thought process is obvious, what else could I have meant" which is a non-answer.

Like seriously, no it wasn't. This is you twisting things again. Here is my actual answer:

King Burgundy posted:

This prompted my follow up question. Because I couldn't see any other way your question could ever be answered.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

But that's my entire point, your initial post was scummy because YOU COULD LITERALLY GO BACK AND SAY ANYTHING. That's why it was A BAD AND OPEN ENDED, OPINION LACKING POST.

:psyduck:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Like I am not sure why you are insisting I tell you the literal myriad of other things you could have meant by your open-ended statement when my entire point is that it was an open-ended statement. Whatttt

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Quidnose posted:

But that's my entire point, your initial post was scummy because YOU COULD LITERALLY GO BACK AND SAY ANYTHING. That's why it was A BAD AND OPEN ENDED, OPINION LACKING POST.

:psyduck:

If I could go back and say ANYTHING, give me just two examples of other things I could say. If I could say ANYTHING, then this should be simple for you?

What other positions was my post designed to support?

To be clear, I think I demonstrated clear opinions in that post. Jimson used innocent word choices that you are twisting. I now suspect Quidnose.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Like this is such a random rear end thing to be insisting I do, of course I understood you thought I was being disingenuous and building a fake case, but I expected you to say "because you're focusing on the semantic argument and that's not really indicative of scumminess" which you eventually got to but you initially countered with "because you were trying to get a power role voted out" which is....kind of a weird perspective, from my point of view.

My entire point here is that a bunch of us thought his poo poo was weaksauce but you bought it completely, by your own admission, at the time, because you are saying that the place you were coming from at that point was "Quid is role fishing and sniffing out a miscuddle on a powerrole." That's a pretty strong place to come from in a game where we, as town, don't know each other's alignments.

Why were you so convinced at the time that Jimson was telling the truth, to the point that you saw what I was doing as attempting to remove a powerrole?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

To be clear, I think I demonstrated clear opinions in that post. Jimson used innocent word choices that you are twisting. I now suspect Quidnose.

THIS IS MY ENTIRE POINT. This would have been a COMPLETELY valid thing to have said, and if you had come in here and said "that's not scumhunting, that's hiding behind semantics, etc etc etc" then I would have disagreed because of my personal thought process but I would have seen where you were coming from.

But this entire crap with "Jimson was a powerrole and you were going hard at him" is susp as gently caress to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

You are correct in saying that there wasn't really anything else you could say beyond "your semantic tact is odd, I don't think Jimson is scum and I am suspicious of you for the way you are going about this," I will admit that. But the WAY this has slowly twisted from the open-ended point you started at to this new point of view is suspicious and slippery to me, coupled with your own semantic insistence that I am somehow misrepresenting you?

• Locked thread