Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Neurolimal posted:

How does the belief that critics want a generic lighthearted hero movie fit with the fact that Jessica Jones and Daredevil saw unanimous praise?

It's far more likely that instances of "not fun" are poorly articulated attempts to explain a flaw in the movie; unengaging, unimmersive, lack of the personal feeling and relateability for these iterations of characters, clumsy and "unearned" battles and excuses to have characters brood in the rain or strike poses in slow-motion. You get the point.

I think a part of it has to do with atrocious marketing; while its silly to expect a winner, revealing Doomsday so early completely deflated any tension or conflict. The suspension is cut and you are now aware that the fascist and idealist will kiss and make up to take down a literally manufactured, pointless threat. The stench of desperation emanating off every additional cameo reveal didn't help either.

Is this entirely fair to the film? Not really. But films do not exist in a vacuum, especially ones relying on your preobtained knowledge of its characters.

Well it doesn't, but it's now an easy go-to thing so people can draw those lines between DC/Marvel and by extension they can say that really DC is heady material for grown-ups and Marvel is for kids. I mean, "no fun" is a very vague term, but it can be emblematic of the material failing to engage at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Let me guess. The destruction of Krypton is global warming? The Krypton birthing system a substitute for the government controlling our pasts and futures? Who is Zod supposed to be in this metaphor because he's simultaneously against the archaic Kryptonian leadership and our hero Jor-El.

This is ridiculous.

There's an in-universe documentary on the MoS bluray (2 disc edition) that said Krypton became destabilized because the kryptonians keep digging into the crust for resources and to built cities, something like that.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Or you could just watch the movie, the first thing Jor-El says to the council: "Do you not understand, Krypton's core is collapsing, we may only have a matter of weeks. I warned you, harvesting the core was suicide."

I mean poo poo, even their moon is shown to be collapsed from harvesting it.

Not only is Krypton shown to be a dark future of Earth, but Zod is literally trying to turn Earth into Krypton.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TFRazorsaw posted:

Let me guess. The destruction of Krypton is global warming? The Krypton birthing system a substitute for the government controlling our pasts and futures? Who is Zod supposed to be in this metaphor because he's simultaneously against the archaic Kryptonian leadership and our hero Jor-El.

This is ridiculous.

There's an entire movie about the fictional planet Krypton, and the people from there. It's called Man Of Steel. I recommend it.

The Krypton people essentially let the economy determine such things as their genetic codes, in the hopes that it would result in an efficient utopia. Instead, they only exaggerated existing problems. People became drones of a deeply-entrenched caste system, and set to work mindlessly consuming all the planet's resources.

Zod was nearly driven mad by the contradiction of being programmed to defend a system that's self-destructive. His solution was to purify the system by creating a fascist dictatorship.

Zod's fascism is a metaphor for fascism. Krypton is a metaphor for Earth.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

axelord posted:

When people think of a super hero movie they think of a fun action movie. It's ok to say in a review hey this isn't what your getting in this movie.

I really think that a lot of the hatred MoS gets is that people didn't get the movie they expected. Expecting a fun action movie and getting a Hard Sci-Fi it's understandable why people hate the movie.

In what universe is Man of Steel hard sci-fi?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm excited for this film

's aftermath and the never-ending debate that it will spawn here. My eyes glaze over when I see Man of Steel brought up but it'll be fun until Civil War's reviews come out.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It always seems to me that complaints about these movies not being "fun" stem from a confusion between the watcher's feelings and the characters'. It's like someone tells you that Diablo just isn't fun, and you ask them why, and they remind you how dark and dreary and violent everything is, and how much suffering and death is onscreen all the time, and how few and far between the jokes are, and since when do necromancers shoot bone spears? They're just supposed to forecast the future by examining remains. And furthermore,

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

How does the belief that critics want a generic lighthearted hero movie fit with the fact that Jessica Jones and Daredevil saw unanimous praise?

Films and television are different mediums.

Arrow reinvigorated television superheroes and started out as a much more Daredevil like "gritty" show. Daredevil just makes an already established and well received tone and takes it one step further by making it "mature audiences" on top of that.

Also television is, when it's not HBO/Starz, pretty much always all tell and very little show. The budget difference and shooting time difference means generally more pedestrian shooting in general, which takes a ton away from the visual aspects of the story. That means that almost everything relies almost purely on words on the paper as opposed to, say, imagery that tells a thousand words like this:

Every once in a while, you'll get pretty good looking shots of, say, The Punisher sitting at a bench with a carnival wheel shutting off in front of him, but it's rare for the show, whereas those "telling" shots can make up the entirety of a movie.

This generation of Rotten Tomatoes critics doesn't come from the place that, say, Ebert did, where they care about/understand the visual nature of film making, by and large. That means there's an over-focus on plot, dialogue, and expectations, and very little on visuals and meaning.

Nolan managed expectations well with Batman Begins. People wanted a more down to earth Batman that was more like the modern comics after the Schumaker (sic) era, and we got that. He also mixed a lot of visual interest in, as well, but it was balanced with an over-explaining script that was all like FEAR FEAR FEAR THIS IS WHATS HAPPENING ON SCREEN FEAR NOW HERES A JOKE, that helped to drive the modern reviewer along, while still having a level of subtext and visual depth. Dark Knight continued this by fulfilling expectations of giving a dynamic Joker that people loved to watch (and told jokes meant to make the audience laugh for half of his lines), while still maintaining that balance. Dark Knight Rises is where Nolan shifted a bit - he subverted expectations with every character, especially Batman, and upped the visual aspects another level, with less dialogue put it -just- to entertain. And it was received the least well and started turning off more critics and audiences, who started to negatively compare it with Marvel films, which were more like the mold of Begins.

Snyder has less dialogue than Nolan, has very, very few obvious jokes in movies, relies far more on visuals, etc. which is a further swing to the opposite level and continues/heightens the trend that DKR started. It's easy to see why there would be a different reception among a group of people that generally see things a bit differently than what the movies are focusing on/trying to appeal to.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Genuinely curious: Why are people getting upset that this film isn't getting more positive reviews?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Just saw Batman v Superman. It's about as dumb a movie as I expected it to be. Everything story element you came to expect from the trailers is there and little else. It's worse than Man of Steel. The plot reminds me of Amazing Spider-Man 2 in terms of shoehorned characters, overly-long and flashy fight scenes, stiff and hammy acting, and an attempt to rush a shared universe into existence.

I wanted to give this movie a chance, because Man of Steel was OK and the studio appeared confident. But it disappoints. It's not as bad as Fantastic 4, but not as good as Man of Steel.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 23, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Davros1 posted:

Genuinely curious: Why are people getting upset that this film isn't getting more positive reviews?

No one is upset :confused: At least not from what I've been reading here, unless you meant just in general. There are a lot of salty folk in the DCEU subreddit though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Davros1 posted:

I am happy that it isn't.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I am happy that it isn't.

I personally can't wait for discussions to blow up in the CBM thread for the next 3 years :getin:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

"Y'know, Room was a very well acted movie, but I feel like it wasn't 'fun' enough."

I am aware of the difference between a superhero movie and a movie about a girl who was kidnapped and held hostage for years, but let me have my dumb serious Superman movie. With Deadpool's success, we're going to get a lot more irreverent humor in superhero movies, which is totally cool, but those can coexist with more serious movies too.

There is no reality where a movie like batman v superman is even nominated for an Oscar or anything other than a people's choice award/mtv movie award. Sure the movie doesn't have to be fun, but it should at least be good.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Personally? I didn't love MoS but I liked what I saw about this movie in the trailers so I'm bummed that, even ignoring the "be like Marvel" reviews, there seems to be a general sense that it's overstuffed and too precipatory of the next movies and the main conflict justification is kind of flimsy - sounds like the elements that made Amazing Spider 2 and Ultron slogs.

Still planning to see it myself though. And not everyone is upset, there were plenty of slightly eye-rolling "good, critics trashing it makes me want to see it MORE" counter-culture responses when the initial reviews hit. Although I doubt a bunch of 99% reviews would've upset them either.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

teagone posted:

I personally can't wait for discussions to blow up in the CBM thread for the next 3 years :getin:

It's insane how much extra value Cinema Discusso has added to my expenditures on movie tickets.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Outside of this forum, where you aren't seeing it, there are a lot of sports team type movie fans that are rooting for Team DC and want it to win over Team Marvel, combined with a lot of people who want to see their favorite characters on screen doing well.

From a personal level, the only reason I would "care" about critical and box office reception to this is that if this movie fails, it might kneejerk WB into taking a more Marvel like approach to their film-making, which would be terrible, since you would have four or more of the blockbuster slots per year taken up by movies that all have practically the same tone. I think some others here might share that worry, but outside of that, I don't think anyone cares.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Meanwhile in that other thread:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This is what we human beings refer to as a joke.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
I cannot believe that Batman and Superman don't even fight, the spoilers were wrong!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Hes' kidding you doofus

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

This is what we human beings refer to as a joke.

I know, it sort of highlights the differences, this thread takes itself super seriously, the other thread is just joking.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
People always cross-post stuff between these threads. Are there a lot of posters that don't just read both? It's all the same people.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Blaming the bad reviews of BvS on not being light and fluffy like The Avengers seems kind of off base when Days of Future Past, which was super doomy gloomy and killed the poo poo out of people, got positive reviews pretty much across the board.

As near as I can tell the next X-Men movie is basically about the end of the world nightmare that Batman sees in BvS actually happening. They're going Super Turbo Helldoom, and it at least looks like everyone is on board with that too?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Tezzor posted:

I think "I did not enjoy watching this movie" is a legitimate criticism of a movie, especially a big superhero movie. You're not making The Act of Killing here. You're making a movie where the flying alien in the cape punches the grumpy man in the bat costume, and even if every word of apologism for Zack Snyder was the God's honest truth, most members of the audience aren't the bored jaded half-bright nerds in black t shirts they've been cranking out six to a ton since the early 90s who are seeking to spend $11 on a nihilistic deconstruction of the political suppositions inherent to the act of hunky alien/bat weirdo fight scenes

100% agree with this.

"I did not enjoy watching this movie" is a perfectly valid, if shallow, criticism. It's a movie about a flying alien in tights versus a grumpy manchild in a batsuit. Why does every movie need to have thought-provoking symbolism and commentary about the human race? Will the general public really care about any of that?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jonny_Rocket posted:

100% agree with this.

"I did not enjoy watching this movie" is a perfectly valid, if shallow, criticism. It's a movie about a flying alien in tights versus a grumpy manchild in a batsuit. Why does every movie need to have thought-provoking symbolism and commentary about the human race? Will the general public really care about any of that?

Why is "the general public" a barometer here. We're not talking about how much money the movie potentially makes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonny_Rocket posted:

100% agree with this.

It works as a criticism when its one of my best friends, who's taste in movies I know very well, so when they say they didn't enjoy a movie I can infer why that would be.

On an internet forum where you're swapping opinions with people who are mostly strangers, "I did not enjoy it" doesn't give people anything to go on as far as interpreting your opinion and discussing it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Blaming the bad reviews of BvS on not being light and fluffy like The Avengers seems kind of off base when Days of Future Past, which was super doomy gloomy and killed the poo poo out of people, got positive reviews pretty much across the board.

As near as I can tell the next X-Men movie is basically about the end of the world nightmare that Batman sees in BvS actually happening. They're going Super Turbo Helldoom, and it at least looks like everyone is on board with that too?

It's because Zack Snyder didn't direct The Usual Suspects.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Darko posted:

Why is "the general public" a barometer here. We're not talking about how much money the movie potentially makes.

It's not about money - it's about the potential to change the public's perception of the DC Movie Universe. Not a lot of people (outside of Cinema Discussion) that I know liked Man of Steel or Green Lantern.

If this movie turns out to be really good, it has the potential to change the general movie going audience's perception about DC films (in theory). People will start to have more faith in the "DC Brand" in its subsequent spin-offs and solo films.

Basebf555 posted:

On an internet forum where you're swapping opinions with people who are mostly strangers, "I did not enjoy it" doesn't give people anything to go on as far as interpreting your opinion and discussing it.

I agree, which is why I said it's a shallow, but valid, criticism.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toady posted:

The DC Cinematic Universe subreddit is on suicide watch.

The hell of being a volunteer defender of a multimillion dollar entertainment division of Time Warner.

I don't know why people care about the critic reviews. If they personally like the movie then that is all that matters. There are people that love the Transformers franchise that Michael Bay created and they think they are the best movies ever. Who gives a poo poo? Movies are personal experiences in my opinion and there are certain things that everyone should be agreement on (such as bad acting, CGI, technical problems, to just name a few) but otherwise if someone likes a movie then they like it. Critics are usually giant dipshits anyways.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I agree, which is why I said it's a shallow, but valid, criticism.

Ok so its valid, but also completely worthless and a waste of the time it takes to post it. Still valid though!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I don't know why people care about the critic reviews.

It's because some people are too dumb to form an opinion for themselves. Some. Not all. But a lot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Davros1 posted:

If I'm upset, it's because I have yet to find a review that actually tells me if I would enjoy this movie (having enjoyed Man of Steel).

Darko posted:

And again, RottenTomatoes is not a barometer for the general public either. Go look up the Transformers RT scores for proof of that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

It's not about money - it's about the potential to change the public's perception of the DC Movie Universe. Not a lot of people (outside of Cinema Discussion) that I know liked Man of Steel or Green Lantern.

If this movie turns out to be really good, it has the potential to change the general movie going audience's perception about DC films (in theory). People will start to have more faith in the "DC Brand" in its subsequent spin-offs and solo films.

So... it is about money.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Ok so its valid, but also completely worthless and a waste of the time it takes to post it. Still valid though!

If he explained why he didn't enjoy it, we would have some insight worthy of discussion.

It's still a valid point, even though he didn't back it up. Art is subjective - we all interpret and enjoy art in our own individual way. There isn't a really a "right" or "wrong" way to enjoy a film - regardless, there's no point arguing and we should get back to the film itself.

Ferrinus posted:

So... it is about money.

I was referring more to the general public's perception of the DC brand and image. If you're going to be that pedantic with details, then yes, it ultimately has to do with money (keeping customers due to faith in the brand, etc).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The drat DC brand.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I was referring more to the general public's perception of the DC brand and image. If you're going to be that pedantic with details, then yes, it ultimately has to do with money (keeping customers due to faith in the brand, etc).

I've seen a shitton of Superman/BvS style of merchandise so if anything they're not harming that brand.

If anything it's just a different tactic to get the same result as the MCU. For the latter, they try to make films that virtually no one oppose, but very few people actually love and devote themselves to either (obviously there are exceptions, this is the internet). For DC, they make films that are inherently polarizing - if you like it, you'll probably love it; if you don't like it, it's probably the worst thing you've ever seen (again, exceptions apply). You might have fewer people buying things, but they might buy more of it per person.

And again, DC isn't that stupid either. They realize there's a market for a fun and (for lack of a better term) "kiddie" Batman and co. That's why they greenlit the Lego Batman movie as well.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 23, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The lengths people will go to excuse all the well-recieved darker comic movies and shows to protect their narrative that everyone who doesn't like MoS or BvS are stubborn luddites who wont tolerate a Serious Mature Movie For Adults is amazing.

I've been reading YCS, and the people trying to excuse voting for a candidate they actively dislike are jumping through fewer hoops than posters in here.

Ferrinus posted:

The drat DC brand.

We're talking about a subsidy of Time Warner, not outsider art.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Neurolimal posted:

The lengths people will go to excuse all the well-recieved darker comic movies and shows to protect their narrative that everyone who doesn't like MoS or BvS are stubborn luddites who wont tolerate a Serious Mature Movie For Adults is amazing.

I've been reading YCS, and the people trying to excuse voting for a candidate they actively dislike are jumping through fewer hoops than posters in here.

That isn't what's happening though. People are saying "this isn't how Batman is!!! He isn't like this in the comics!!!!!!!!!!!" and then other people are using examples to explain that yes, he is like that in the comics (and other movies) too.

Y'all need to chill. Not everything is a :tinfoil: conspiracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Again, shows have poo poo to do with movies. It's like saying "critics have praised these darker comic books like Preacher, why don't they like this dark movie?" It's a nonsensical comparison because there's a large medium switch with large inherent differences and expectations with the medium.

edit: And i actually doubt BvS is "dark" because other movies called "dark" like The Dark Knight are silly and light as hell. I think that the post-Ebert reviewers can't explain themselves correctly, which is a problem.

• Locked thread