Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just realized they're breaking lent for it. :3:

That might be :thejoke: but hey, I don't know all this religious dates stuff off hand.

I don't remember if the movie gave a year but in 2015 International Women's Day was on a Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mycot posted:

Isn't Iron Man 3 one of those films that really blew up in China?
That's what made it incredibly successful instead of just very successful. It was still well ahead of the other non-Avengers films in America too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't remember if the movie gave a year but in 2015 International Women's Day was on a Sunday

That doesn't matter, since Lent starts on Ash Wednesday and lasts until Easter Sunday. I don't remember Sunday being an "exempt" day growing up in a Catholic household.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

flosofl posted:

That doesn't matter, since Lent starts on Ash Wednesday and lasts until Easter Sunday. I don't remember Sunday being an "exempt" day growing up in a Catholic household.

Sunday is an exempt day because it's a day of celebration. Sundays are skipped when you count the 40 days. e: I grew up Catholic, too, and I always thought that was lame.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 13, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Layers

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Dang Iron Man 3 only big in China cos of the Chinese shoe ins that even ppl in HK didn't get to see

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Sunday is an exempt day because it's a day of celebration. Sundays are skipped when you count the 40 days. e: I grew up Catholic, too, and I always thought that was lame.

:aaa:

I think I just stumbled upon a perfidious plot that was perpetrated by my parents to stop us from having candy/cookies.

EDIT: Can't. Stop. The. Alliteration.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 13, 2016

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

flosofl posted:

:aaa:

I think I just stumbled upon a perfidious plot that was perpetrated by my parents to stop us from having candy/cookies.

EDIT: Can't. Stop. The. Alliteration.

Haha, mine did that too until my brothers and I figured out the loophole around the early teen years.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I think me and my family are worst Catholics. All I remember is not eating beef and pork during Fridays and going to church on the last Sunday. I'm currently still the worst Catholic. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Also, that graph doesn't have 1989 Batman on it and that was twice as much of a return as Dead Pool.

Batman 1989's production budget was $35m and it's worldwide box office gross was $411m, Deadpool's budget was $58m and it's current worldwide cume is $708.

Using the graph's formula for calculating studio revenue (55% of North American + 40% gross international) then Deadpool currently has a multiplier of 5.7 and Batman 1989 had a multiplier of 5.77. Of course Deadpool is still in theatres so it's going to overtake Batman 1989 at some point in the next few weeks.

(Note that if you adjust Batman 1989's worldwide box office of $411 for inflation and ticket prices you get $896m. It got the 4th highest domestic box office (adjusted for inflation) after Spider-Man '02, The Dark Knight and The Avengers.)

Edit: holy hell, the 1990 TMNT film had a budget of $13.5m and a worldwide box office of $201m so it had a multiplier of 7.49. :monocle:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 14, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: holy hell, the 1990 TMNT film had a budget of $13.5m and a worldwide box office of $201m so it had a multiplier of 7.49. :monocle:

And yet they keep going further away from what made that one good! :argh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Light Gun Man posted:

And yet they keep going further away from what made that one good! :argh:

I've done big effortposts in the past about the 90s Turtles films, it turns out that their efforts to repeat the winning formula of "Just hire a bunch of unknown actors, writers and director, it's a dumb kids movie who gives a poo poo" from the first film and then adding a bunch of studio interference on top of that didn't work out so well.
Seriously, go through the imdb.com cast & crew list and click on the names and see what everyone did before they all came together to create one of the most financially successful films of all times, it's loving crazy. The guy inside the Donatello suit had never worked in film or TV before and his official imdb.com profile photo is a squirrel in a park somewhere.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I've done big effortposts in the past about the 90s Turtles films, it turns out that their efforts to repeat the winning formula of "Just hire a bunch of unknown actors, writers and director, it's a dumb kids movie who gives a poo poo" from the first film and then adding a bunch of studio interference on top of that didn't work out so well.
Seriously, go through the imdb.com cast & crew list and click on the names and see what everyone did before they all came together to create one of the most financially successful films of all times, it's loving crazy. The guy inside the Donatello suit had never worked in film or TV before and his official imdb.com profile photo is a squirrel in a park somewhere.

As a TMNT fan I like to claim a large part of it's success is actually being pretty close to the comics :v:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Are you suggesting that a squirrel couldn't operate the Donatello suit?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

duz posted:

Are you suggesting that a squirrel couldn't operate the Donatello suit?

Squirrels are actually fairly competent martial artists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai6yQvlZRvY

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kiimo posted:

and why Sony keeps desperately trying to keep Spiderman relevant.

Gwenpool movie incoming.

God, I'd love to see the lawyer slapfight over that character.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Squirrels are actually fairly competent martial artists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai6yQvlZRvY

Squirrel Girl movie confirmed.

Also, there's almost no reason why the first TMNT should be so good, but there it is.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Just got back from seeing this and it was pretty hilarious and fun.

Like many in this thread, I thought the trailer made it look formulaic and horrible and was not interested in seeing it at all until virtually everyone I know told me it was really good and I should see it. I have no idea how studios generate such pedestrian trailers out of movies that really have a lot of great jokes and action in them.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

SaviourX posted:

Squirrel Girl movie confirmed.

Also, there's almost no reason why the first TMNT should be so good, but there it is.

The original? The filmmakers aimed at the audience of the underground comics, IE nerdy weird adults. When it became a big hit with kids they changed a lot to make the sequel more kid-friendly. The same thing happened with ghostbusters - in between movies they all (mostly) quit smoking, for example. In TMNT the violence and tone got turned way down for the second movie. I remember thinking the original was actually kind of scary when I was a kid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Full Battle Rattle posted:

In TMNT the violence and tone got turned way down for the second movie

"So hey, we want you guys to make another TMNT movie ...."
"Great!!"
"Except the studio isn't keen on the whole 'ninja' aspect. Is there some way we can ditch all the violent weaponry?"
"Well what do you want them to fight with, yoyos and deli meats??"
"Eyyyyy, that's the ticket!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jaIBUQ-ds4

Edit: what the gently caress happened in the background at 1:10 with the three thugs chasing Michelangelo? It looks like they dogpile themselves while Mikey just stands there and watches.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The old (first) cartoon is the same way. Europe demanded Mikey lose his weapon, so he switched to a grappling hook. Raphael and Leonardo start off (what at least seems like) almost every goddamn fight by immediately throwing their weapons at something, like some barrels or such, to knock some foot solider over or whatever. They then proceed to do the rest of the fight with gymnastics and found objects. Donatello uses his bo primarily for non-combat actions. Repeat for most of the show.

There's a good joke about it in Turtles Forever, where they need to get stronger weapons and the old cartoon TMNT respond by getting garbage cans because those are the biggest things they can lift and throw! :downs:

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 21, 2016

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Edit: what the gently caress happened in the background at 1:10 with the three thugs chasing Michelangelo? It looks like they dogpile themselves while Mikey just stands there and watches.

That'a exactly what happens and I love it.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

"Great!!"
"Except the studio isn't keen on the whole 'ninja' aspect. Is there some way we can ditch all the violent weaponry?"

Don't kinkshame

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Donatello looks like something out of Fast Nights At Freddy's there.

e: pop culture mixup invents an interesting concept.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

"Great!!"

I expected to re-watch this and hate it, but I didn't.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Actually rewatched deadpool with a buddy who hadn't seen it. It's not as good the second time around obviously. The origin story does sorta drag a bit. But the rest is still grade A good.

Buddy loved it.

Surprisingly there were like twenty people in the theater. It's been more then a month.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you feel like rewatching the title sequence Art of the Title has you covered:
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/deadpool/

Also features an interview with the director an overpaid tool and someone else who worked on the title.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 22, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Affi posted:

Actually rewatched deadpool with a buddy who hadn't seen it. It's not as good the second time around obviously. The origin story does sorta drag a bit. But the rest is still grade A good.

Buddy loved it.

Surprisingly there were like twenty people in the theater. It's been more then a month.

I thought it was better the second time :shrug:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

If you feel like rewatching the title sequence Art of the Title has you covered:
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/deadpool/

Also features an interview with the director an overpaid tool and someone else who worked on the title.

I want to see the opening "Marvel" title because as it flips through 5 comic book pages in a second, you can see a flash of a dialogue bubble, and it isn't in the other Marvel tags in the other movies.

i think.

Anyway, i want to know what the dialogue bubble says. I think it may be Deadpool talking to us.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Holy poo poo, Kevin Clash (Elmo) voiced Splinter?! :psyduck:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Affi posted:

Buddy loved it.

Saw it today at 5:30 and there were a solid 12-20 people in the only theater in a moderately sized town (20k people). I'd certainly call that more staying power than most movies. Still some big laughs from the audience too.

Edit: There was definitely a couple sitting in front of me too, so Deadpool remains a good date movie a month+ in.

kiimo posted:

That graph tells you all you need to know if you ask why WB keeps making Batman movies and why Sony keeps desperately trying to keep Spiderman relevant.

Yeah, if I had a franchise that could consistently get me a 50% ROI or better I would want to milk the hell out of it. We're pretty lucky that Marvel and Sony were able to work out a deal to allow Spider-man in the "main" MCU considering Sony could keep cranking out Spider-man movies and making virtually guaranteed profits, I think only the broader spin-off movies in the spider-universe they were hoping to build stood a real chance of losing money, it'd take a spectacularly bad Spider-man movie on Sony's part to get down to even money or worse.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 23, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True, but Sony also knows that a Spiderman movie from the Marvel juggernaut in the Avengers universe could stand to shoot profits up to Spiderman 1 levels, which is presumably why they approved it. Even after Marvel's cut of the profits, it's a good deal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah, Amazing Spider-Man 2 had a reported budget of $255 million but only got a domestic box office of $203 million so ASP3 got cancelled, Andrew Garfield got dumped and the planned spinoff movies Venom, Sinister Six and 'Untitled female-led Spider-Man project' got shelved. It turns out that the IP wasn't a licence to print money after all.

Of course in the wake of the MCU Spider-man deal and the generally positive reaction to the appearance of the new Spider-man in the latest MCU trailer Sony have announced that the Venom film is back in production, except now it's a standalone film which won't feature Spider-man at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And after the latest calamity... have there been any rumours about Fox reaching out to Marvel for the same deal on Fantastic Four? It seems like it'd be the smartest thing to do with that property.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MikeJF posted:

And after the latest calamity... have there been any rumours about Fox reaching out to Marvel for the same deal on Fantastic Four? It seems like it'd be the smartest thing to do with that property.
I haven't heard any rumours yet but Marvel and Fox have managed to repair some burnt bridges lately (they're co-producing the Hellfire TV series) so anything's possible.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's sad that ASP2 was so badly done that it killed that train as I thought Garfield did a real solid Ultimate Spidey/Peter Parker and the suit in ASP2 was the best spidey suit we've gotten. I'd buy that thing to wear as a halloween costume it looked so good.

But I was glad to see that they added the moving eyes from Deadpool's effects to the new spidey costume. That was easily my favorite thing visually they developed that I love. It really makes it feel even more like the comics.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 23, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's sad that ASP2 was so badly done that it killed that train as I thought Garfield did a real solid Ultimate Spidey/Peter Parker and the suit in ASP2 was the best spidey suit we've gotten. I'd buy that thing to wear as a halloween costume it looked so good.

But I was glad to see that they added the moving eyes from Deadpool's effects to the new spidey costume. That was easily my favorite thing visually they developed that I love really makes it feel even more like the comics.

Oh yeah, for all of the flaws that Amazing Spiderman 2 had Andrew Garfield wasn't one of them. I really hope he doesn't have much trouble finding work in the future because he's a legit good actor. Maybe he could play a mutant in Deadpool 2 and hang out with Colossus and NTW?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GORDON posted:

I want to see the opening "Marvel" title because as it flips through 5 comic book pages in a second, you can see a flash of a dialogue bubble, and it isn't in the other Marvel tags in the other movies.

i think.

Anyway, i want to know what the dialogue bubble says. I think it may be Deadpool talking to us.

Unless I'm mistaken, I remember that in the older Marvel movies (when they were made by Universal,Fox and Sony only) the flipping pages would be related with the leading character(s). Nowadays it seems to be the same art. :/ It's a shame, it used to be a nice easter egg.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh yeah, for all of the flaws that Amazing Spiderman 2 had Andrew Garfield wasn't one of them. I really hope he doesn't have much trouble finding work in the future because he's a legit good actor.

He's landed on his feet, he's got starring roles in two films coming out this year: Silence (directed by Martin Scorsese, co-starring Adam Driver and Liam Neeson) and Hacksaw Ridge (directed by Mel Gibson) about "the first Conscientious Objector in American history to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor" which is the Oscar-buzziest thing I've heard of in a while.

On the other hand Marc Webb (director of Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2) went back to producing/directing TV shows these last few years and has only just gotten back into film direction. He's got a film called Gifted about a man fighting for custody of his niece starring Chris Evans coming out later this year, I'd be surprised if the budget was a tenth of either of the Amazing Spider-Man films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

He's landed on his feet, he's got starring roles in two films coming out this year: Silence (directed by Martin Scorsese, co-starring Adam Driver and Liam Neeson) and Hacksaw Ridge (directed by Mel Gibson) about "the first Conscientious Objector in American history to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor" which is the Oscar-buzziest thing I've heard of in a while.

Hacksaw Ridge is also Mel Gibson directing a movie in which people are killed. He seems to be really good at that.

• Locked thread