Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Majorian posted:

But there's a difference between Westernizing Islam on Muslims' own terms, and Westernizing Islam on someone like Sam Harris' terms, don't you think? Right now, the message that a lot of Western Europeans is, "You can't be 'one of us' (French, Belgian, Dutch, German, etc) unless you fundamentally change important, essential things about yourself and your culture." That's not a very good way to make an out-group feel like it has a stake in society, especially when you're telling them that they can't even do relatively harmless things like wear a hijab. (and yes, I understand that that's France's bucket of poo poo, not Belgium's)

"There's a big difference between modernizing the Confederate States of America on Southerners' own terms, and modernizing the Confederate States on someone like Frederick Douglass's terms, don't you think? Right now, the message that a lot of Yankees is "You can't be 'one of us' (American) unless you fundamentally change important, essential things about yourself and your culture." That's not a very good way to make an out-group feel like it has a stake in society, especially when you're telling them that they can't even do relatively harmless things like wear a white hood."

There are certain beliefs and practices that are so odious that socially excluding people who hold them unless and until they change is not only defensible, but an actual positive good. Many, if not most, of the beliefs of conservative Muslims fall into this category. If it's culturally imperialist to try and force people to give up practices like arranged marriage (a.k.a. parental assisted rape) and legally-enforced patriarchy, then "cultural imperialist" is a label I'll wear with pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Majorian posted:

But there's a difference between Westernizing Islam on Muslims' own terms, and Westernizing Islam on someone like Sam Harris' terms, don't you think? Right now, the message that a lot of Western Europeans is, "You can't be 'one of us' (French, Belgian, Dutch, German, etc) unless you fundamentally change important, essential things about yourself and your culture." That's not a very good way to make an out-group feel like it has a stake in society, especially when you're telling them that they can't even do relatively harmless things like wear a hijab. (and yes, I understand that that's France's bucket of poo poo, not Belgium's)

Well... that's how liberal western societies work. The liberal side forces the conservative side to give up things and almost always wins in the culture war. The alternative is to Islamize western values, but we aren't going to give up liberalism for that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's all nice to be relativistic about cultural values, until you come to the point that countless many people died and worked themselves to stubs over centuries to bring about a lasting progressive change in liberal Western societies in the form of objectively improved living conditions and liberties for the masses, and many more died defending this progress from reactionary forces. So giving up on integrating new people firmly on these domestic terms means just rolling back on these centuries of hard work.

That being said, exporting liberal values makes no sense if there is no demand outside our borders, but that doesn't mean the same relativism should be applicable internally, in my humble opinion.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

Tunisia seems like it's improved a lot. One out of 4 ain't bad, right? Right?

Unfortunately, getting rid of a corrupt dictator and not becoming a theocracy hasn't been enough for Tunisia to suddenly get jobs and money, so the country's future is still unstable.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/22/tunisia-unrest-government-imposes-night-curfew-unemployment-protests-attacks

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cat Mattress posted:

Unfortunately, getting rid of a corrupt dictator and not becoming a theocracy hasn't been enough for Tunisia to suddenly get jobs and money, so the country's future is still unstable.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/22/tunisia-unrest-government-imposes-night-curfew-unemployment-protests-attacks

It almost seems like a corrupt military dictatorship that is reliant on aid from the West is the optimal form of governance for certain countries until they have reached a standard of living where democracy becomes a valid option.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

Maybe not the best authority on cultural integration there...:stare:

just because you cant engage with anything on an impartial intellectual level doesnt means other cant

menino posted:

Is there a point you'd like to make?

quote:

The central argument of the book is that the cultural groups that are "starkly outperforming" [4] the rest in America possess three distinct traits. These virtues are the presence of a superiority complex, the simultaneous existence of an inferiority complex, and a marked capacity for impulse control.

as a social group second generation arab youth in europe can only count on one of the three imho and that is the problem
they need nationalism for one
the other is harder

Crain posted:

Yes, she is.

At best this book sounds like some sort of "Just world" bullshit and at worst is probably just "race realism".

EDIT:

HMMMMM. Rich Mormons at a prestigious, expensive school do better in society than other groups!? WHAT A CONUNDRUM!

do you know what a control group is

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MysteriousStranger posted:

Well... that's how liberal western societies work. The liberal side forces the conservative side to give up things and almost always wins in the culture war. The alternative is to Islamize western values, but we aren't going to give up liberalism for that.

"Forces"? That's not a very inviting way to frame it.:stare: Shouldn't the soft power of Western society be enticing enough to do most of the work? I'm not trying to be a smartass here, either, I really think that's a problematic way to frame the dynamic. No one's saying that the West should Islamize - far from it. Obviously there are some things that immigrants are going to have to give up when they move to a new country and culture. Most of the time they'll be only too willing to make those sacrifices. But when it comes down to something as mild as headscarves, maybe it's the forces of secularism that could stand to cut the other side a little slack?

as halfway crooks posted:

just because you cant engage with anything on an impartial intellectual level doesnt means other cant

Yes, Amy Chua, definitely somebody whose work engages on an impartial intellectual level.

steinrokkan posted:

It's all nice to be relativistic about cultural values, until you come to the point that countless many people died and worked themselves to stubs over centuries to bring about a lasting progressive change in liberal Western societies in the form of objectively improved living conditions and liberties for the masses, and many more died defending this progress from reactionary forces. So giving up on integrating new people firmly on these domestic terms means just rolling back on these centuries of hard work.

How is what anyone is saying tantamount to "rolling back centuries of hard work" though? This isn't a binary choice between secularism and Sharia. Allowing immigrants to come to Western secular values on their own terms is hardly saying that they need to be allowed to mistreat women and form terrorist groups without government interference.

steinrokkan posted:

You called me obtuse for thinking colonialism in the Middle East ended with WWII ;)

It seemed to me at time (and still seems to me) that you were bundling "colonialism" and "imperialism" together. If you weren't, my bad.

Liberal_L33t posted:

"There's a big difference between modernizing the Confederate States of America on Southerners' own terms, and modernizing the Confederate States on someone like Frederick Douglass's terms, don't you think? Right now, the message that a lot of Yankees is "You can't be 'one of us' (American) unless you fundamentally change important, essential things about yourself and your culture." That's not a very good way to make an out-group feel like it has a stake in society, especially when you're telling them that they can't even do relatively harmless things like wear a white hood."

Yes, because wearing a hijab is the moral equivalent of owning human beings as property.:rolleye:

quote:

There are certain beliefs and practices that are so odious that socially excluding people who hold them unless and until they change is not only defensible, but an actual positive good. Many, if not most, of the beliefs of conservative Muslims fall into this category.

List some of them for me, would you?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Wait people think colonialism and imperialism ended in the Middle East?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

How is what anyone is saying tantamount to "rolling back centuries of hard work" though? This isn't a binary choice between secularism and Sharia. Allowing immigrants to come to Western secular values on their own terms is hardly saying that they need to be allowed to mistreat women and form terrorist groups without government interference.

What does "come to Western secular values on their own terms" even mean? If it just means they enjoy the same positive and negative freedom as any other citizen with no extra burdens or leeways, then it's really a pretty much pointless concept, isn't it? The only way I can interpret it as meaning anything is to be more tolerant towards immigrants' legal transgressions as they adjust to their new conditions? In which case when do you take off the training wheels?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Laphroaig posted:

Why did the Belgium security apparatus find Turkey's assessment incorrect?

We don't know because that information is presumably classified, since they haven't even released the identity of the individual. It's possible that Belgian intelligence was lax in its assessment of the suspect; it's also possible that Belgium simply didn't have the evidence necessary to make a case against him under their own laws. Turkey's threshold for evidence of involvement in terrorism is lower than most Western countries'. Indeed, their anti-propaganda laws are pretty draconian, for a country that's a NATO member and is commonly considered at least partially European. So it's entirely possible that Turkey's case against the suspect was not very compelling, even if they turned out to be right.

e:

It's kind of amazing to me, btw, that you would assume Turkey has such an incredible handle on counterterrorism when it experienced an attack of comparable deadliness a week before Belgium.:psyduck:

steinrokkan posted:

What does "come to Western secular values on their own terms" even mean? If it just means they enjoy the same positive and negative freedom as any other citizen with no extra burdens or leeways, then it's really a pretty much pointless concept, isn't it? The only way I can interpret it as meaning anything is to be more tolerant towards immigrants' legal transgressions as they adjust to their new conditions? In which case where do you take off the training wheels?

Legal transgressions meaning what, exactly? Wearing headscarves? And bear in mind, it's not just the government that needs to give ground in allowing citizens to assimilate without making them feel forced. Society in general needs to treat them as welcome and wanted.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 23, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I don't get why Western society should change their laws to accommodate people that came her of their own free will or were born to parents who decided to come here and practiced a much more tolerant/peaceful/western form of Islam. Adapt or get the gently caress out.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't get why Western society should change their laws to accommodate people that came her of their own free will or were born to parents who decided to come here and practiced a much more tolerant/peaceful/western form of Islam. Adapt or get the gently caress out.

Haven't you read any of the pieces I've posted? European civil society doesn't always give them a chance to adapt.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What if they don't want to 'come to Western Secular values on their own terms'? Are you going to keep assuming they don't have agency, or admit that their own decisions have consequences?

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

Yes, Amy Chua, definitely somebody whose work engages on an impartial intellectual level.

unlike yourself the papers she cites actually support her arguments instead of hilariously undermining them

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

rudatron posted:

What if they don't want to 'come to Western Secular values on their own terms'? Are you going to keep assuming they don't have agency, or admit that their own decisions have consequences?

If society has done its job right and helped the broader community integrate, that community will either try to stop the individual in question themselves, or will warn the authorities.

Bear in mind, there are plenty of people who aren't born to immigrant families who don't want to obey the strictures of Western society. We tend to call those people criminals, and we deal with them accordingly. There will always be a few bad eggs in every group. The trick is A, to minimize them, and B, to react to them in an appropriate fashion when they do go bad.

as halfway crooks posted:

unlike yourself the papers she cites actually support her arguments instead of hilariously undermining them

lol, you've never read Amy Chua.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

Haven't you read any of the pieces I've posted? European civil society doesn't always give them a chance to adapt.

Well, if it comes down to a shouting match between two camps yelling "No, YOU adapt first!" at each other, maybe the natural conclusion is that relations will inevitably deteriorate, and that the project of accommodation has failed? I don't see how you can sell the project of welcoming more immigrants with open arms and letting them settle down on their own pace to people whose relation with the existing diaspora has already been worsening, leading to more and more grave incidents on both sides.

If the good will of the people is required for this to work, then, well, the project is dead since you can't change the popular will by a decree.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
On the extremely specific topic of arranged marriage, the solution, as usual, has a lot more to do with intergenerational indoctrination alteration of norms than with illegalizing it, which is, by the by, extremely, extremely logistically difficult.

Any of you folks appalled by it have any data on the prevalence of it among Muslim immigrant population, btw? Ideally with a comparison to other religious denominations (I know a moderately hilarious amount about Sri Lankan Buddhist arranged marriages inside SL :v: ) but I like data in general.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Majorian posted:

The study you posted talks about perceived slights. I'm sorry, but I think it's unrealistic to expect a society to prevent any kind of perceived slight against a certain group, e.g. when it comes to personal advancement in the labor market, as self-perception and reality often differ to a certain degree and it might be an easy excuse for a Muslim man, who got skipped for promotion in favor of a woman, to believe that it was because of his religion and not because the woman was simply performing better. Additionally they might feel discriminated against because society doesn't respect all their religious believes and doesn't cater to every tenant of their religion, but society doesn't cater to every tenant of Christianity or Judaism as well, so Muslims will have to deal with the fact that the law is above Allah.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No no no, you're not listening - what if the community as a whole is choosing not to integrate? Because that's the problem we're having. Stop shifting blame onto society as a whole, stop pretending the only thing stopping the integration is the rest of society not holding their loving hands, they have agency.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Majorian posted:

"Forces"? That's not a very inviting way to frame it.:stare: Shouldn't the soft power of Western society be enticing enough to do most of the work? I'm not trying to be a smartass here, either, I really think that's a problematic way to frame the dynamic. No one's saying that the West should Islamize - far from it. Obviously there are some things that immigrants are going to have to give up when they move to a new country and culture. Most of the time they'll be only too willing to make those sacrifices. But when it comes down to something as mild as headscarves, maybe it's the forces of secularism that could stand to cut the other side a little slack?

On the one hand, I've said before in these threads than an outright legal ban on the headscarf isn't the best way to go about it. But there absolutely should be social, public, and professional pressure against wearing it because it is a symbol of traditionalism and patriarchy, which are Bad Things.

Majorian posted:

'Allowing immigrants to come to Western secular values on their own terms' is, in fact, saying that they need to be allowed to mistreat women, because traditional Islamic practices (especially, but not limited to, sharia courts and the trojan horse of "religious arbitration") inherently and unavoidably mistreat women (and children, non-heterosexuals, etc etc etc.)

Majorian posted:

Yes, because wearing a hijab is the moral equivalent of owning human beings as property.:rolleye:

A face-covering garment mandated by patriarchal tradition and enforced by community sanction absolutely is the moral equivalent of a slave collar.

Majorian posted:

List some of them for me, would you?

Arranged marriage. Child marriage. Unequal divorce laws. Spousal rape. Domestic violence against women. These are all things that parts of the Qur'an and Hadith can very easily be used to justify. Most of all, the very idea that it is the right and responsibility of a local community to enforce sexual morality among its members, which is unfortunately a very deeply ingrained idea in most of the cultures these immigrants come from. If any of these beliefs and practices are so deeply ingrained in a culture as to be inextricable from it, then self-professed members of that culture have no place in western society, except in the most bare-bones, legalistic sense of their status as refugees. Certainly people who believe in these things should never be socially accepted by members of a modern culture.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Well, if it comes down to a shouting match between two camps yelling "No, YOU adapt first!" at each other

No one is suggesting that it should come down to that, though. Again, look at the piece that I've cited twice now:

quote:

Local Muslims, who form 25 to 30 percent of the area’s population, talk in particular of limited educational and economic opportunities, as well as employment discrimination.

From a pragmatic standpoint, that's one major thing that Belgian society (and other European societies) could change to minimize terrorist recruitment and activity. From a values standpoint, one would think that's something that an egalitarian society would want to change as well.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I read all the posts by Euros patting themselves on the back about how great they are and how it must be people's own fault if they don't feel welcomed and I think I'm a terrorist now.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

lol, you've never read Amy Chua.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On the extremely specific topic of arranged marriage, the solution, as usual, has a lot more to do with intergenerational indoctrination alteration of norms than with illegalizing it, which is, by the by, extremely, extremely logistically difficult.

Any of you folks appalled by it have any data on the prevalence of it among Muslim immigrant population, btw? Ideally with a comparison to other religious denominations (I know a moderately hilarious amount about Sri Lankan Buddhist arranged marriages inside SL :v: ) but I like data in general.

Well, yeah. All forms of rape are extremely logistically difficult to illegalize. That doesn't mean they aren't worth fighting to prevent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

rudatron posted:

No no no, you're not listening - what if the community as a whole is choosing not to integrate? Because that's the problem we're having. Stop shifting blame onto society as a whole, stop pretending the only thing stopping the integration is the rest of society not holding their loving hands, they have agency.

Really, if integration is so delicate a process that it requires the entire society to tip-toe around the immigrants as to not disturb their metamorphosis, then it's a miracle so many immigration waves have been successful at integrating into their host nations despite also not enjoying the feel-good environment they should have required!

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Effectronica posted:

I read all the posts by Euros patting themselves on the back about how great they are and how it must be people's own fault if they don't feel welcomed and I think I'm a terrorist now.

"Now"?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

From a pragmatic standpoint, that's one major thing that Belgian society (and other European societies) could change to minimize terrorist recruitment and activity. From a values standpoint, one would think that's something that an egalitarian society would want to change as well.

Since it's a matter of perception, I don't think you can change it significantly without breaking the liberal principles of Belgian values, actually.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Well, maybe I was brainwashed by being in close proximity to a devout Muslimoid while she was sewing up my arm, or when I had lunch last week.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Effectronica posted:

How exactly are you going to convince somebody who hates you to like you all of a sudden? By trying to force him to change his behavior for your benefit?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

rudatron posted:

No no no, you're not listening - what if the community as a whole is choosing not to integrate? Because that's the problem we're having.

It's absolutely not, though. I keep posting data showing that Belgian society, and European societies in general, are having serious trouble holding up their end of the integration bargain. Unemployment is high among Muslim immigrants, educational opportunities are substandard, and they face employment discrimination. These are failures of society writ large. You can't put all the blame on a minority group for not integrating when you aren't letting them.

Liberal_L33t posted:

On the one hand, I've said before in these threads than an outright legal ban on the headscarf isn't the best way to go about it. But there absolutely should be social, public, and professional pressure against wearing it because it is a symbol of traditionalism and patriarchy, which are Bad Things.

Even if I grant you that premise, which I don't necessarily, some types of social, public, and professional pressure are more effective than others. If you go about it ham-handedly, you end up causing more alienation and spurring them to cling to their traditions out of spite.

quote:

'Allowing immigrants to come to Western secular values on their own terms' is, in fact, saying that they need to be allowed to mistreat women, because traditional Islamic practices (especially, but not limited to, sharia courts and the trojan horse of "religious arbitration") inherently and unavoidably mistreat women (and children, non-heterosexuals, etc etc etc.)

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting the extremely wide gamut of "traditional Islamic practices" with. Are you under the impression that all Muslims view things like FGM, arranged marriage, wearing the burka, etc, are integral parts of "traditional Islamic practices"?

quote:

A face-covering garment mandated by patriarchal tradition and enforced by community sanction absolutely is the moral equivalent of a slave collar.

That's not what a hijab is! A hijab doesn't cover the face at all.:psyduck:

LOL, it's like you've never heard the term "tiger moms" before.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Liberal_L33t posted:

What's your opinion on high heels?

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Majorian posted:

LOL, it's like you've never heard the term "tiger moms" before.

?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Interesting little fact: one reason for the prevalence of arbitration as a preferred divorce mechanism in us Islamic communities is that the regular court system is unequal in the man's favor, by considering the Marriage Security Deposit (can't recall the term, but it's a Bizarre Dowry that ensures the woman can support herself even if her husband turns out to be a moron) as part of their shared assets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is the discrimination in educational and job opportunities specific to Muslims, or to anybody who, as they presumably do, has pre-existing disadvantages stemming from being lower class, from an undesirable neighbourhood, and under-qualified? I mean that article you keep quoting doesn't really provide data except for "poor people are not satisfied".

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm not really sure. Iraqis, Syrians and Lebanese are doing pretty well. They're active members of the community, a big part of the economy, and send their kids to get higher learning. The Somalis have not had that happen. Maybe it has to do with social niche? Somalis are considered 'Black' by most Canadians but are virulently racist against Ango and Franco-Africans, Caribbeans and Black Canadians. Since they're not part of 'White' Canada and seem to hate 'Black' Canada, it sets them apart.

I've heard that Somalis are doing pretty well in Minnesota, so I don't know what to make of that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

How exactly are you going to convince somebody who hates you to like you all of a sudden? By trying to force him to change his behavior for your benefit?

I dunno what exactly you're hinting at with inimitable ineptitude, but I suggest that if you really treat every Muslim as though they hate you, and you are a representative sample of public opinion (I recognize that the general freakishness of goons makes this unlikely), it seems to me like being a Muslim in your country must be a hell of enduring unending hostility.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

The study you posted talks about perceived slights.

A 40-50% unemployment rate among people of ME/North African descent in Belgium is not a perceived slight; it's a fact. Are you under the impression that employment discrimination against Muslims in Europe is a "perceived slight"?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Liberal_L33t posted:

Well, yeah. All forms of rape are extremely logistically difficult to illegalize. That doesn't mean they aren't worth fighting to prevent.

I am not sure I agree with your presumed position on all forms of arranged marriage, but that is a solid argument.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

INH5 posted:

I've heard that Somalis are doing pretty well in Minnesota, so I don't know what to make of that.

Yes, well, Minnesota is an enlightened utopia, as both of the people who have visited can testify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Effectronica posted:

I dunno what exactly you're hinting at with inimitable ineptitude, but I suggest that if you really treat every Muslim as though they hate you, and you are a representative sample of public opinion (I recognize that the general freakishness of goons makes this unlikely), it seems to me like being a Muslim in your country must be a hell of enduring unending hostility.

You are saying that the euros are narcissistic racists, how can the Muslims make them like them so they feel welcome?

• Locked thread