Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fatal Error posted:

love my city :poland:

Polish nazis are walking and barely talking conscious dissonance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Barring I pass all my medical stuff, I'll be heading off to Ukraine for the Peace Corps in September. Reading this thread throughout grad school has probably prepared me more for the job than anything else. One aspect of living in Eastern Europe that I don't look forward to having to deal with some of the overt anti-Semitism though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
http://mirror581.graniru.info/Politics/Russia/Politzeki/m.249858.html

Well, that didn't take long: apparently the Russian Embassy to Ukraine has made arrangements to transfer Savchenko in the next few weeks. Arranged in a closed meeting and only reported by Grani so far. I imagine most of the Russian media will gloss over it if they cover it at all.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Unsurprisingly, the Polish government has announced they're not taking any of the 7000 muslim refugees the previous government agreed to take.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Barring I pass all my medical stuff, I'll be heading off to Ukraine for the Peace Corps in September. Reading this thread throughout grad school has probably prepared me more for the job than anything else. One aspect of living in Eastern Europe that I don't look forward to having to deal with some of the overt anti-Semitism though.
You will most likely have to deal with strong hatred towards Russia and Syrian refugees and not anti-Semitism.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Then you are in luck, the Muslims have largely replaced the Jews as the national scapegoat around these parts. Why, I haven't heard a good anti-Semitic tirade in weeks!

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ah! So they're definitely primed for joining the EU then.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, the Muslim hatred is off the charts. Educated people who never had anything against Jews or gays have been frothing at the mouth for months now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

You will most likely have to deal with strong hatred towards Russia and Syrian refugees and not anti-Semitism.

I doubt any Syrian refugees are willingly going to Ukraine so he should be safe. Many Russians are choosing to vacation there now so that's something I'd definitely watch out for.

Some of my best friends® were Jewish and I haven't seen much, if any, anti-Semitism. Just keep in mind that the PC culture hasn't gotten there yet so you might hear some casual -isms. Mostly it's just talk and shouldn't be a problem, but you should try not to look too gay just to be on the safe side.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Fatal Error posted:

That's got to be a joke, maybe it's some injoke between dog breeders, right? :ohdear:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^^
If enough countries close their borders, some people may be forced to go via Ukraine. Which will likely be a disaster, given the country's less-than-stellar results in dealing with its own internal refugee crisis, with something like 2 million displaced.

Though Ukraine is probably slightly more sympathetic towards Muslims than the rest of the region because of Crimean Tatars. Still plenty of bigotry to go around...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Then they'll have to cross into eastern Poland, and I'm not sure whether Lublin or Białystok is the biggest nest of loving crazy nazi assholes. Maybe Rzeszów too. Assholes be crazy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

OddObserver posted:

Though Ukraine is probably slightly more sympathetic towards Muslims than the rest of the region because of Crimean Tatars. Still plenty of bigotry to go around...
Those are the ok white Muslims though that have no bearing on the hatred towards current refugees. It's as idiotic as it sounds, it's basically racism. Poland had no problem with accepting tens of thousands of Muslim Chechens during the Chechen wars, it wasn't even any sort of deal.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt any Syrian refugees are willingly going to Ukraine so he should be safe.
No gays in Russia either, yet anti-homonazi sentiments are on the rise!

And, in (very slightly) more serious news, some politicians in Poland want to build a wall on the eastern border, arguing that refugees will be coming through Ukraine once the current routes become impassable. Now, I'm not sure how that would work, given that Ukraine's outside of Schengen and there are border controls already in place, AND you need to consider that the politicians in question are from the Kukiz '15 party (Poland's UKIP), but the expectation is there.

edit - ^^^^^^ beaten like a Muslim wife!!!! :shepface:

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 23, 2016

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There even is a roundabout in Warsaw named after first president of Chechnya. But they fought Russians so they by default were cool and good. Ukrainians get some of the same benefits now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Now that I checked - Poland accepted almost 90 thousand Chechen Muslims, no deal made out of it at all. But now these 7 thousand Syrians, holy poo poo those guys are all spies waiting to blow themselves up because Islam is a religion of intolerance you see :ironicat:.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
I feel like this one could be a thread title. Maybe for this one or the European Politcs one :v:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

alex314 posted:

There even is a roundabout in Warsaw named after first president of Chechnya. But they fought Russians so they by default were cool and good. Ukrainians get some of the same benefits now.

Not many. There was an incident about a month ago (I can't remember in which city) in which a resettlement camp of Ukrainians was attacked by a group of drunken hoodlums who attacked the Ukrainians with bats and knives.

Also funny (and by funny I mean soul crushing) ONR (a polish fascist group) is implementing "citizen patrols" in Lodz to protect Polish women from racist attacks by muslims (what muslims?).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Palpek posted:

Now that I checked - Poland accepted almost 90 thousand Chechen Muslims, no deal made out of it at all. But now these 7 thousand Syrians, holy poo poo those guys are all spies waiting to blow themselves up because Islam is a religion of intolerance you see :ironicat:.

Chechens are white-ish and usually blow up Russians, so they're good!

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Palpek posted:

:pseudo: Cultural differences, Syrians want death of mankind. Chechens hate Russians, basically Polish! :pseudo:

Actually, I had a Chechen living upstairs and he was the best neighbour I've ever had, then some 100% homegrown non-parents with their awful kids came in and everything turned to poo poo. Let the Musselman come as far as I'm concerned.

edit - Fuuuck, beaten again.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Lavrov says the darndest things: https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/712722770904412161

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wouldn't it make more sense to just deny it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I-I, I just don't get it? :psypop:

Short version, Bryansk oblast have been banned from using any social networks, as well as Google Maps, Gmail, Yahoo, WhatsApp, Viber, ICQ, Skype, Google Chrome, and Safari. They've also been banned from contacting representatives of half of the companies mentioned in previous sentence.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

I-I, I just don't get it? :psypop:

Short version, Bryansk oblast have been banned from using any social networks, as well as Google Maps, Gmail, Yahoo, WhatsApp, Viber, ICQ, Skype, Google Chrome, and Safari. They've also been banned from contacting representatives of half of the companies mentioned in previous sentence.

Only doctors for some reason.

Like, at work banning social networks kind of makes sense, I guess. But restricting browsers and messangers?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Only doctors for some reason.

Like, at work banning social networks kind of makes sense, I guess. But restricting browsers and messangers?
Restricting Skype while allowing Internet Explorer? Restricting ICQ while allowing Mail.ru Group?

Peak bureaucracy, I guess. Passing poo poo for the sake of it.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Restricting Skype while allowing Internet Explorer? Restricting ICQ while allowing Mail.ru Group?

Peak bureaucracy, I guess. Passing poo poo for the sake of it.

I don't think it's just peak bureaucracy.

Look at where Bryansk Oblast is.

As for what's still allowed, Yandex and Mail.Ru are monitored thoroughly and everyone knows it; Chrome and Safari probably have better security than IE.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What is this supposed to communicate to the people anyway? "Your doctor's can't be trusted to use Facebook, but it's totally safe to get cut open by one, trust us!" :stare:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redscare posted:

As for what's still allowed, Yandex and Mail.Ru are monitored thoroughly and everyone knows it; Chrome and Safari probably have better security than IE.
That's the thing why I say it's peak bureaucracy in my opinion - secure browsers banned, insecure - allowed; Mail.ru Group allowed, while ICQ, product of Mail.ru Group, is banned. These restrictions do not send a coherent message across, neither on their own, nor given the context.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

redscare posted:

Nope, that's not concerning at all. Just in time for spring, too. Or spring offensive. :ohdear:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe it's supposed to tie into federal legislation that restricts data on Russian citizens being hosted outside Russia, although that wouldn't apply to all services on the list. Not really sure what the reasoning is for Google Maps, Safari, or Chrome. However, most of the rest will probably have servers in Russia eventually to comply with that law, so I have no idea. The Byansk senator in the Federation Council even says it's a dumb, unproductive, and excessive regulation, and that any discussion regarding having a national internet infrastructure to compete with western infrastructure should only be focused on securing state security.

Edit re browser security: they're still allowing Yandex Browser, which is more or less re-branded Chromium and should be secure as such. It's unlikely that anyone writing the law realizes this, and just figured Yandex = Russian and good, despite Yandex generally trying to be as neutral and focused on technological competency as possible.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 24, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Young Freud posted:

Nope, that's not concerning at all. Just in time for spring, too. Or spring offensive. :ohdear:

And Putin just withdrew a lot of his forces from Syria. :ohdear:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

redscare posted:

I'm not sure which is more alarming about this, the fact that Bryansk Oblast borders Ukraine, or that it borders Belarus.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I'm not sure which is more alarming about this, the fact that Bryansk Oblast borders Ukraine, or that it borders Belarus.

It's probably more worrisome for Ukrainians, since Kiev sits about half the distance from Minsk from the same border location. Also, Russian "volunteers" operated as far as 100 miles in the early parts of the Donbass conflict. It would be hard to ignore if a Russian offensive enters through Chernihiv, considering seizing the entire oblast would still put Russian artillery within firing range of Kiev.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of refugees, is the the current wave supposed to top the 90s balkan wars one? I can remember about roughly 4 million refugees during that off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting non-insignificant numbers. It was absolutely massive, and yet nobody seems to even remember much about it by now. Makes you think.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fatal Error posted:

Where the hell was that taken? Cuz Soviet Russia made a concerted effort to exterminate Siberian Huskies as anti-proletariat and to break the will of the Chukchi people (since they were really good at evading said Soviets by going 'sure ok whatever you say' and then disappearing into the trackless wastes with their sled dogs).

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oracle posted:

Where the hell was that taken? Cuz Soviet Russia made a concerted effort to exterminate Siberian Huskies as anti-proletariat and to break the will of the Chukchi people (since they were really good at evading said Soviets by going 'sure ok whatever you say' and then disappearing into the trackless wastes with their sled dogs).

Huh, really? Wiki says nothing about it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Friendly Humour posted:

Huh, really? Wiki says nothing about it
I have never heard about this either - the closest I know of it is that huskies weren't considered a real breed in USSR since they weren't useful to transport goods.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

kalstrams posted:

I have never heard about this either - the closest I know of it is that huskies weren't considered a real breed in USSR since they weren't useful to transport goods.

Found this on google:

quote:

In the 20th Century, the Soviets opened free trade with the Chukchi, then known as the "Apaches of the North," and brought with them smallpox which almost wiped out the tribe. When the Soviets found out the importance of the dogs to Chukchi cultural coherence, they executed or imprisoned the village leaders, who were of course the dog breeders. The Soviets then set up their own dog breeding programs designed to obliterate the native gene pool of the Chukchi dogs and replace it with a gene pool that would produce a much larger freighting dog thought to be more effective for the Soviets own proposed fur-trading practices in the region. The Soviets even went so far, in 1952, as issuing an official proclamation that the breed we now call the Siberian Husky never really existed. Only a small remnant of the Chukchi dog still survives in Siberia today.

http://www.siberrescue.com/huskyed.html

Have no idea if its true since the article itself provides no sources

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I've seen that story, but it was also some dog breeder's homepage with giant blue letters on black background so I will err away from this romantic and impractical story unless there are sources to prove it true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Found this on google:

http://www.siberrescue.com/huskyed.html

Have no idea if its true since the article itself provides no sources

- Googling for "Apache of the North" returns a single source. It's from some book by a small time writer of historical fiction.

- The Russians started trading and fighting with the Chukchi as soon as they started exploring Siberia, hundred of years ago, long before the Soviet Union existed.

This sounds like someone is confusing a fictional, badly researched story with real history. This happens very often, especially with movies.