Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Speaking of feeding him: It seems generally useless, except for souls. No matter the size of the soul you feed him, you get the same number of souls, 500. So if you feed him the smallest ones, worth 200 and 400 souls, you actually get a profit.

Also, there's some interesting storytelling in what items get more souls, but I'll leave that to our sherpa. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
If you're aiming for a separate Kaathe run, are you planning on doing the DLC before Sif in the Frampt run? The Sif cutscene is different if you do the DLC first which is a nice touch.

Placing the Lordvessel is required to do the DLC since you need to get into the Duke's Archives. But if you go the Kaathe route, you need to do sif before placing the lordvessel, thus you have to do the DLC after.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Golbez posted:

Speaking of feeding him: It seems generally useless, except for souls. No matter the size of the soul you feed him, you get the same number of souls, 500. So if you feed him the smallest ones, worth 200 and 400 souls, you actually get a profit.

Also, there's some interesting storytelling in what items get more souls, but I'll leave that to our sherpa. :)

Except for a certain boss soul (two, actually) who he'll pay a staggering 1 soul for. I don't think he likes those people.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

double nine posted:

Except for a certain boss soul (two, actually) who he'll pay a staggering 1 soul for. I don't think he likes those people.

He pays more for some boss souls than they're worth from consuming, namely Moonlight Butterfly, Gwyn, Priscilla and Quelaag

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Golbez posted:

double nine posted:

FicusArt posted:

He pays more for some boss souls than they're worth from consuming, namely Moonlight Butterfly, Gwyn, Priscilla and Quelaag

What Frampt pays more or less for is fairly interesting. He pays 1000 souls for any piece of armor worn by/associated with a woman, 200 souls for a Dung Pie (which explains the terrible breath, also allows Dung Pies to be used as a sort of soul bank since you can buy them for 200 from the female undead merchant), a fair amount for Havel's Ring and Greatshield, bonuses for dragon stuff, and anything associated with Gwyn. Of characters we've seen/heard about outside of the intro thus far, he doesn't seem all that fond of Artorias, as the Wolf Ring only gives 40 souls instead of the usual 100 for rings.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
drat, I read that destructoid article in the OP and it's heartbreaking. I'm not gonna go in a sob story about my family but it hits home pretty hard.

The very core of the game's theme deals with unnaturally long "life" and what defines being an intact person, juxtaposed against the oppressive, decaying world setting and groundhog day-esque gameplay. That's a pretty bleak parallel to real life mortality and mental illness if you ask me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

You guys should really subscribe to Vicas on Youtube. For oh so many reasons

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yes, like sometimes I'm a bit slow updating videos

27 - Grave Robber

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Could you do a "Let's just talk about Bloodborne" LP? I have a good feeling you'd be great at it.

Tomb of the Giants. Yeah, like a regular tomb full of rengenerating skeletons wasn't bad enough, now you have inky blackness and giant enemies to deal with!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Speedball posted:

Could you do a "Let's just talk about Bloodborne" LP? I have a good feeling you'd be great at it.

Tomb of the Giants. Yeah, like a regular tomb full of rengenerating skeletons wasn't bad enough, now you have inky blackness and giant enemies to deal with!

Genocyber's Bloodborne LP is pretty close to what you want.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vicas posted:

Yes, like sometimes I'm a bit slow updating videos

27 - Grave Robber

You missed one Black Knight at the Asylum. He's located where you originally picked up your shield in the beginning, after running away from the Asylum Demon.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Hooray! :skeltal:

The Catacombs, assuming we keep on going from here, are so great. It's a messy little place that loves to dick you around in multiple ways, full of atmospheric details, and altogether just radiates personality.

Regarding the village as seen from the graveyard: That isn't New Londo, or at least, does not appear to be intended to be. New Londo is inside a massive cavern and bears a sort of self-contained shape, like a secure stronghold that at one point served as an entire functional town. The buildings off the edge of the graveyard have their own layout, and in fact, there's a video of some hack-enabled exploration of it here (This blog goes into a bit about that as well as other notable pieces of distant scenery)

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Speedball posted:

I don't own a PS4, so I haven't played it yet :v:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
:siren: Warning! I got some SUPER SPOILERIFIC Dark Souls 3 videos in my Suggested Video sidebar when viewing this ep. Beware!

Koushirou
Nov 4, 2009
Also, the water-looking area you pointed out from the hill is the Blighttown swamp I'm pretty sure. You can also see the top of the Great Hollow in it on the far side. Point still stands is that it's awesome to see how all the areas connect to one another.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm not entirely sure what the hell the Great Hollow is. Leftovers of the primordial forest when everything was fog and stone dragons?

I know the roots going through Lost Izilath and the Demon Ruins have an explainable source, at least.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

IronSaber posted:

:siren: Warning! I got some SUPER SPOILERIFIC Dark Souls 3 videos in my Suggested Video sidebar when viewing this ep. Beware!

These next couple of weeks on the internet are going to suck.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

IronSaber posted:

poo poo, that sucks, I'm sorry. For the next few weeks I'll probably post my youtube links through Polsy's viewer, then. If you don't already know about it: https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/

Just does a simple embed on a blank page so that you're not constantly being spoiled by related vids

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Let's talk about that zweihander for a minute.

I made a new character with the master key (picked warrior for high str), took off all my armor, rushed the morning star, smashed some skeletons, and grabbed the zweihander. Ran back to firelink and put 3 points into Str (it takes 24 str to one hand it, or a mere 16 to two hand it).

With the bare minimum strength to wield this fearsome weapon, I was able to stun the black knight in undead burg with just one hit of the two handed R2. Then I went and had a showdown with Havel, where again, the two handed R2 only did around 50 damage to him, but either staggered him or completely knocked him to the ground. Havel, the textbook example of a sturdy-rear end motherfucker in this game, getting his rear end flattened on the floor of the tower with this un-upgraded monstrosity :hellyeah:

It also has incredible reach, and the running attack (or backstep L1) is just a quicker version of the smash, though as far as I can tell it does a bit less poise damage than the R2. Basically this is a fun as hell (though sometimes frustrating due to swing speed) weapon.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
A video!

28 - Combing the Catacombs

Grizlor posted:

I made a new character with the master key (picked warrior for high str), took off all my armor, rushed the morning star, smashed some skeletons, and grabbed the zweihander. Ran back to firelink and put 3 points into Str (it takes 24 str to one hand it, or a mere 16 to two hand it).

With the bare minimum strength to wield this fearsome weapon, I was able to stun the black knight in undead burg with just one hit of the two handed R2. Then I went and had a showdown with Havel, where again, the two handed R2 only did around 50 damage to him, but either staggered him or completely knocked him to the ground. Havel, the textbook example of a sturdy-rear end motherfucker in this game, getting his rear end flattened on the floor of the tower with this un-upgraded monstrosity :hellyeah:

It also has incredible reach, and the running attack (or backstep L1) is just a quicker version of the smash, though as far as I can tell it does a bit less poise damage than the R2. Basically this is a fun as hell (though sometimes frustrating due to swing speed) weapon.

My favorite run ever was a 2-handed Zweihander run, basically just being the dodgiest largest sworded motherfucker on the planet. The Artorias fight with that character was bar none my favorite Souls experience

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I was wondering if that Necromancer was going to just kill you through your shield, since the Eagle shield is many things, but is not fireproof.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Vicas posted:

My favorite run ever was a 2-handed Zweihander run, basically just being the dodgiest largest sworded motherfucker on the planet. The Artorias fight with that character was bar none my favorite Souls experience

This was the last run I did, but I used the black knight sword until I could get a man serpent sword up to +15. Artorias is a masterpiece of a fight and learning how to dodge his incredibly aggressive attack spam to find the right moments to hit him were extremely satisfying.

I dunno if you ever plan to show off some of the magic stuff that benefits a melee character, but even the lowest level magic weapon using one of the strength scaling catalysts adds a sizeable amount of damage, and is one of the main things holding the black knight weapons back (not being able to enchant or put resin on them)

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Also I liked what happened in the middle of this video so much I decided gently caress it, I'm just gonna upload it

29 - Magic Coffin Ride

May still need some time to encode to full resolution on YouTube

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
I'm glad you decided to do a double dose today. I've been working on a mini-paper using Dark Souls as a way of incorporating the learning process into storytelling.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I really love the way the skeletons pat their heads when they assemble themselves

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh man that skeleton did some good work.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
SkeleShaq dunked you so hard you went straight past hell to the formless void.

I loved the concept of the Gravelord Covenant so much, but the execution was so lacking. The way the covenant was meant to work was you'd put down a sign using an Eye of Death (dropped by basilisks), and three players in the same area would be 'infected' with the Gravelord Curse. This would cause extra Black Phantom enemies to appear in the cursed players' worlds. These have twice the health and hit harder than the regular enemies in the area. Additionally, a black soul sign would appear near where the Gravelord Servant was in their world, which the cursed players could use to invade the Gravelord. If the Gravelord died, the curse was lifted from everyone affected, if the invader died, the Gravelord earned an Eye of Death.

At least, that's how it was meant to work, in theory. In practice, you might sit around for a half hour or more without ever being invaded. People in NG could be infected, but wouldn't get the Phantoms, and so had no incentive to invade you even if they found your sign, which was not a given, seeing as there was no notification that anything had happened other than the Phantoms or stumbling over the sign. People in NG+ and higher might just die over and over to the Phantoms, which gave you nothing, until they up and quit the game. (The area flowing the Catacombs is one such area, the Phantoms there are a pain in the rear end.) Alternatively, they might be able to handle the Phantoms, and opt not to invade because fighting tough enemies is fun, and they still dropped items and gave souls. Not to mention, Gravelording put you at the front of the line for other invaders, so you couldn't even be sure of getting an Eye for winning the fight.

There was also no feedback when a player died while under your curse. You couldn't even get sweet sweet hatemail, because they had no idea who had cast the curse. It would've been totally unrealistic, but I would've loved to get a PIP display of my victims so I could at least cackle when they died the fifth time to one rear end in a top hat phantom.

I will say, for all of the complaints DS2 got, their version of the rear end in a top hat Covenant did things right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grizlor posted:

The zweihander is probably my favorite weapon. The 1-handed R2 is basically just tipping the huge-rear end monster sword over in the general direction of your enemies, flattening most of them and leaving them completely helpless. It's so dumb and yet so awesome.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Jonny Nox posted:

I really love the way the skeletons pat their heads when they assemble themselves

Their sheer personality is one of the reasons that the skeletons in Dark Souls are the best skeletons in any video games (with the possible exception of those in Crypt of the Necrodancer).

Plus the fact that they nimbly hop about, all swashbuckling with their curved swords, I can't help but imagine that they talk like pirates.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

I will say, for all of the complaints DS2 got, their version of the rear end in a top hat Covenant did things right.

The Ratbro Covenant was a terrific idea. Just turn one specific area into your personal death maze.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I'm kinda sad that the blunt backstab doesn't send the skeleton's pelvis at the nearest wall.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
JFC Vicas, did you just pass on the goddamn Gravelord Swagsword? I can't believe you've done this.

For those not in the know, the Zweihander is the second best weapon in the game simply because the Gravelord Sword exists. It does nice damage, it has a great moveset, it inflicts goddamn Toxic, and it looks swag as gently caress. If you're good at running you can even get it the first thing you do in the game.

Mazed posted:

Their sheer personality is one of the reasons that the skeletons in Dark Souls are the best skeletons in any video games (with the possible exception of those in Crypt of the Necrodancer).

Plus the fact that they nimbly hop about, all swashbuckling with their curved swords, I can't help but imagine that they talk like pirates.

The skeletons are just having a good 'ol funky time. I just love their moveset so much, especially the corkscrew leap.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I think he invested some humanity into chaos servants already and is going with that. The problem is the best place to farm humanity is right outside on Nito's doorstep :ohdear:

Also I think the skeletons were getting around Vicas's shield because curved swords can have some weird hitboxes, especially on horizontal swings.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Grizlor posted:

I think he invested some humanity into chaos servants already and is going with that. The problem is the best place to farm humanity is right outside on Nito's doorstep :ohdear:

Also I think the skeletons were getting around Vicas's shield because curved swords can have some weird hitboxes, especially on horizontal swings.

The rats in the depths are also a decent farm.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Lprsti99 posted:

SkeleShaq dunked you so hard you went straight past hell to the formless void.

I loved the concept of the Gravelord Covenant so much, but the execution was so lacking. The way the covenant was meant to work was you'd put down a sign using an Eye of Death (dropped by basilisks), and three players in the same area would be 'infected' with the Gravelord Curse. This would cause extra Black Phantom enemies to appear in the cursed players' worlds. These have twice the health and hit harder than the regular enemies in the area. Additionally, a black soul sign would appear near where the Gravelord Servant was in their world, which the cursed players could use to invade the Gravelord. If the Gravelord died, the curse was lifted from everyone affected, if the invader died, the Gravelord earned an Eye of Death.

At least, that's how it was meant to work, in theory. In practice, you might sit around for a half hour or more without ever being invaded. People in NG could be infected, but wouldn't get the Phantoms, and so had no incentive to invade you even if they found your sign, which was not a given, seeing as there was no notification that anything had happened other than the Phantoms or stumbling over the sign. People in NG+ and higher might just die over and over to the Phantoms, which gave you nothing, until they up and quit the game. (The area flowing the Catacombs is one such area, the Phantoms there are a pain in the rear end.) Alternatively, they might be able to handle the Phantoms, and opt not to invade because fighting tough enemies is fun, and they still dropped items and gave souls. Not to mention, Gravelording put you at the front of the line for other invaders, so you couldn't even be sure of getting an Eye for winning the fight.

There was also no feedback when a player died while under your curse. You couldn't even get sweet sweet hatemail, because they had no idea who had cast the curse. It would've been totally unrealistic, but I would've loved to get a PIP display of my victims so I could at least cackle when they died the fifth time to one rear end in a top hat phantom.

It also took people like literally a year to realize the phantoms only appear in NG+ and beyond. A lot of the covenants in this game are extremely poorly explained and it's kind of a shame

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vicas posted:

It also took people like literally a year to realize the phantoms only appear in NG+ and beyond. A lot of the covenants in this game are extremely poorly explained and it's kind of a shame

They're not explained at ALL in-game. No menus pop up telling you what does what.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Speedball posted:

They're not explained at ALL in-game. No menus pop up telling you what does what.

This isn't entirely true; it's all in the item descriptions for the covenant items. Sunlight medals more or less tell you that they're a reward for co-op, and cracked red eye orbs' description (vaguely) associates them with the Darkwraiths. The Eyes of Death spell out how the covenant works, but in incredibly vague terms. From definitely expects you to learn by experimentation, but they at least point you in the right direction.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Well, Dark Souls break ended

operation 'gently caress You Havel' has been put on hiatus for awhile, so back to the Asylum for me, so I can get the rust ring, then farm green titanite in the poison swamp.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I recently reinstalled this too while waiting for ds3 to release, is it my imagination or did they patch ceaseless discharge and you can no longer chump him by running to the fog gate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Puntification posted:

I recently reinstalled this too while waiting for ds3 to release, is it my imagination or did they patch ceaseless discharge and you can no longer chump him by running to the fog gate?

No, you can definitely still cheese him. However, it won't work unless he has his big tentacle out, and he won't take his big tentacle out unless you're all the way at the far end of his arena. So if you're not on your first attempt you have to run to the far end of the arena, lure him there and run back in order for the cheese to work.

• Locked thread