Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

*ears perk up*

he's just supervising, whatever that means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Might be okay if they don't call it FLCL.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

has there ever been a revival like this that's been good?

not in a "this is definitely gonna suck" way, just every example i can think of doesn't work out well and im curious if there's a counter example im missing

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

has anyone heard of the writer before? the one show they have listed for him im not familiar with

oh wait its not the same writer too?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Parallax posted:

he's just supervising, whatever that means

*ears unperk down*

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Lol at the guy who announced it by making a "TFW" tweet. Good future we are living in

Lich King DEMARCO announces beloved sequel

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

no, and the original writer was the one that added all the sexual innuendo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

nielsm posted:

Might be okay if they don't call it FLCL.

this is a super dumb stance everytime i seen it

a name is just a name, the content being good is what matters

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

doesn't seem like it

quote:

Also joining this season is writer Hideto Iwai (Last Dinner)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

not in a "this is definitely gonna suck" way, just every example i can think of doesn't work out well and im curious if there's a counter example im missing

The only examples I can think of had existing source material so they don't really count

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

has anyone heard of the writer before? the one show they have listed for him im not familiar with

i haven't seen him write, but i've seen movies he acted in and those were awful fwiw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Rebuild of Evangelion, And i can see why people like diebuster even if I'm not a fan myself. I appreciate that they tried something different

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I wonder what else adultswim would try and bring back though if this is a success

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Gatchaman, if that even counts as a revival?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Twin Peaks Season 3 could be cool as well

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Parallax posted:

I wonder what else adultswim would try and bring back though if this is a success

haruhi

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Gatchaman, if that even counts as a revival?

Im thinking more, new season of a show that ended ages ago. like arrested development season 4, to use a western example because it seems more common with western tv

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good lord please

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

they never even aired that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

More likely TTGL or something though because it's probably just gauging popularity from their own Adult Swim/toonami broadcasts

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

I would allow very bad things to happen to me for this.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

:homebrew:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

More likely TTGL or something though because it's probably just gauging popularity from their own Adult Swim/toonami broadcasts

TTGL makes sense, maybe Gundam Wing? now that I think about there isn't a lot that's been on adult swim/toonami recently that makes sense to bring back

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Diebuster is cool, Gunbuster is cool, FLCL is cool, I think FLCL 2 and 3 will probably be cool and I hope they have the same spirit while doing new things. I'm into it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Im thinking more, new season of a show that ended ages ago. like arrested development season 4, to use a western example because it seems more common with western tv

Like Srice said, all the examples I can think of had preexisting source material.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

diebuster is the only direct sequel i can think of, but theres stuff like cutie honey i guess

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

its weird but flcl makes sense since its been on and off adult swim for like 10 years

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so his last dinner isn;t actually ' his' show but an anthology where different writers each wrote an episode. however when i look at the episodes he isn't credited for any of them. i think shuden bye bye is the same deal but its even harder to find information on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

diebuster is the only direct sequel i can think of, but theres stuff like cutie honey i guess

I've only seen the cutie honey live action movie but it was really bad

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

I've only seen the cutie honey live action movie but it was really bad

cutie honey is a cool comic and i think the original anime and re are supposed to be good, i never seen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

cutie honey is a cool comic and i think the original anime and re are supposed to be good, i never seen

I've heard this as well. I only watched the movie because Hideaki anno directed it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

I've heard this as well. I only watched the movie because Hideaki anno directed it

anno also directed re even though there's different animation directors on it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ah, Saint Seiya Omega is a direct original sequel

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It was cancelled before it ended

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"The series tells the same story as the film, but contains nudity and additional character development.[3]" :mrgw:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

In Training posted:

"The series tells the same story as the film, but contains nudity and additional character development.[3]" :mrgw:

it's good, you should watch it. Imaishi directed the first episode, and the third episode was directed by a guy who's still working with Anno on the rebuild movies

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what timespan are we talking about when we say ages anyway

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

It was cancelled before it ended

It's a real weird feeling in modern anime that something with 90+ eps was cancelled

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Re has one of the coolest openings I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A lot of the Cutey Honey shows are their own thing I think, one of those classic shows that gets a reboot every so often like Astro Boy or Cyborg 009.

• Locked thread