Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MysteriousStranger posted:

ISIS is self contained. They are selling the oil from the fields they took on the black market, selling black market historical artifacts (they don't destroy all of them, mostly just the replicas), collecting taxes, run a banking system, and took over several banks with a lot of cash on hand. Granted, they can't deal on the actual market for these goods, but they are doing all of this on the black market fairly easily. This isn't to say that Saudi money doesn't get to them, but not buying oil wouldn't stop this. The Saudi's own a lot of poo poo and have a pretty drat good sovereign fund. They can pay out of that for this and even if it's billions it's a drop in the ocean to them.

So ISIS is capable of self financing and the Saudi's don't need to sell oil to throw them the pennies they do.

This info is all a couple years out of date. Their oil business took a poo poo as soon as the US started bombing everything, the antiquities market is drying up and they're resorting to torturing museum curators in the hopes that they have a treasure map in their head or something, and most of the reports about them making shitloads of money by taking over a bank were based around one in Mosul where they didn't actually get much of anything. Not long ago, one of their financial gurus was captured by US forces with a ton of details on their operation in his possession, and since then, things haven't been going so well financially. They are highly dependent on foreign aid, as it's what got them their start to begin with, and it's the one constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

Is it easier to radicalize criminals or regular people? All of these people were involved with crime before radicalizing.

I'd say its easier to radicalize arab muslims than it is any other group.

Volkerball posted:

This info is all a couple years out of date. Their oil business took a poo poo as soon as the US started bombing everything, the antiquities market is drying up and they're resorting to torturing museum curators in the hopes that they have a treasure map in their head or something, and most of the reports about them making shitloads of money by taking over a bank were based around one in Mosul where they didn't actually get much of anything. Not long ago, one of their financial gurus was captured by US forces with a ton of details on their operation in his possession, and since then, things haven't been going so well financially. They are highly dependent on foreign aid, as it's what got them their start to begin with, and it's the one constant.

Captured with payroll data on thousands of individuals who are walking the streets of Europe and North America this very day.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

My Imaginary GF posted:

Captured with payroll data on thousands of individuals who are walking the streets of Europe and North America this very day.

It's really amazing and heart-crushingly sad at the same time that terrorism is mostly bankrolled by obscenely rich assholes who want to increase the price of their investments by gaming the consequences of killing innocent people.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Volkerball posted:

Also the US airstruck a bank with a crapton of ISIL cash, with said cash literally burning away into smoke/particulates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgCr8Ljb90g
So there goes a lot of money right there.

Fake edit: Apparently that video is rather popular, it's got more than half a million views when most of the other CJTF-OIR videos have views in the thousands.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 25, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I just heard on the news this morning (sorry if its old info) that one of the suicide brother bombers was already put in jail (for 9 years he didnt even serve, lol) for SHOOTING AT THE POLICE WITH AN ASSAULT RIFLE. Now i'm not advocating for a super-harsh USA like prison/felon system, but that doesnt sound like a disenfranchised immigrant struggling to fit in.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
is it true that Belgian police aren't allowed to do raids at night?

is it because they might get lost?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

boom boom boom posted:

It's a 1969 privacy and anti-police-overreach law. There actually are some overrides built in, but "suspicion of harboring terrorists" doesn't seem to make the cut.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fascinating article about a recent interview with Robert Pape, a terrorism analyst who's team has researched every suicide bombing from 1980 to present.

http://www.thenation.com/article/heres-what-a-man-who-studied-every-suicide-attack-in-the-world-says-about-isiss-motives/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

boom boom boom posted:

You're thinking of the Polish police.:haw:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I just heard on the news this morning (sorry if its old info) that one of the suicide brother bombers was already put in jail (for 9 years he didnt even serve, lol) for SHOOTING AT THE POLICE WITH AN ASSAULT RIFLE. Now i'm not advocating for a super-harsh USA like prison/felon system, but that doesnt sound like a disenfranchised immigrant struggling to fit in.

That is pretty insane that he'd get released after that, but it's true, apparently. The Belgian security system royally hosed up on more than one occasion in this sad case. To their credit, they've admitted as much, and now they seem to be having at least some success unravelling other plots in France and Belgium.

That said, I'm not sure why you think this means he wasn't a disenfranchised immigrant struggling to fit in. It fits exactly what I and others have been saying: disenfranchised minorities with no prospects and facing lots of discrimination often turn to crime. Sometimes that leads to terrorism. It clearly did in this case. Obviously he wasn't struggling to fit in by the time he was robbing currency exchanges and shooting at the cops, but that doesn't mean he and his family didn't try before he fell into a life of crime.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 25, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Here's a must-read on the origins of these jihadis: http://europe.newsweek.com/belgium-new-extremists-jihadi-cool-brussels-attacks-439640?rm=eu

quote:

These European attackers are not like the Al-Qaeda members of old—the radicalized adherents to fundamentalist Islam. Many of these new age killers were small children when the World Trade Center fell in 2001 and have spent much of their lives watching major wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and now Syria. Their knowledge of Islam is quite limited; they are more like jihadi hipsters than dedicated Islamists, or what some experts in the intelligence community call “jihadist cool.” They celebrate what the Dutch coordinator for security and counterterrorism called “pop-jihad as a lifestyle.”

In other words, these are not intellectual Muslims with long beards and Korans in hand; labeling them jihadis or radical Islamists would be, to them, the highest compliment. In another time or another circumstance, these are young people who would be called losers or narcissistic punks—although they are punks who murder.

quote:

These shallow Islamists have proved to be a challenge for European countries that use a traditional de-radicalization program for Muslims lured into the world of radical fundamentalists: It’s hard to re-educate people about Islam when they knew almost nothing to begin with. In what may be the most representative event depicting the nature of these new Islamist extremists, two British Muslims, both 22, purchased copies of Islam for Dummies and The Koran for Dummies in August 2014 just before they boarded a plane on the first leg of their trip to join ISIS fighters in Syria.

quote:

Here is what needs to be understood about the murderous practitioners of jihadi cool. Based on interviews with European Muslims returning from fighting in Syria, foreign intelligence agencies estimate that about 20 percent of them were diagnosed with mental illnesses before they left for the Middle East. A large percentage of them have prior records for both petty and serious crimes. And the vast majority of them come out of urban neighborhoods torn apart by economic hardship.

Rik Coolsaet, a professor of international relations at Ghent University in Belgium and a senior associate fellow at the Royal Institute of International Relations, recently wrote about the environment that has caused the development of this youth subculture in his country. Young Belgians, faced with a bleak job market, have higher suicide rates and more high school dropouts than most member states of the European Union.

“Youth representatives in Belgium recently warned that many young people are depressed and feel hopeless,” Coolsaet wrote.

The result, intelligence analysts say, is those European Muslims that become fan-boys for ISIS are taking not a rational stand but an emotional one. “Areas where there are close-knit groups of susceptible youth, often lacking a sense of purpose or belonging outside their own circle, have proved to generate a momentum of recruitment that spreads through personal contacts from group to group,” says a December 2015 report by the Soufan Group, a private intelligence analysis and security company.

quote:

Even with all that knowledge, however, disrupting an attack from this new breed of Islamic fans—rather than religious devotees—is enormously difficult. These are small cells of like-minded young people with operational autonomy, not some organization with top-down leadership like Al-Qaeda. Many of them do travel to Syria to learn tactics from ISIS before heading back home on their own. All it takes is some guns, some homemade bombs and some desire for fame to transform a loser into a hero among his friends and allies. And then the world eagerly attributes the attack to ISIS, which takes a bow for an attack its leaders probably knew nothing about and earns more cred that it uses to attract even more devotees.

Punks who murder is the name of my new Pink Floyd cover band.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

double nine posted:

Here's a must-read on the origins of these jihadis: http://europe.newsweek.com/belgium-new-extremists-jihadi-cool-brussels-attacks-439640?rm=eu

Punks who murder is the name of my new Pink Floyd cover band.

You'd better...make your face up in your favorite disguise
With your button-down lips and your roller-blind eyes...

That's a very good read, thanks for posting it. :) Definitely underlines how much of a "gently caress you dad!" it often is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
So basically ISIS is a magnet for depressed and neglected tweens who are looking for the most :emo:EXTREEME:emo: way to go "gently caress you dad" and rebel against the system. This makes a surprising amount of sense.

We should redirect these people to healthier alternatives, such as becoming a shitposting waste of space on 4chan or something awful.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

blowfish posted:

So basically ISIS is a magnet for depressed and neglected tweens who are looking for the most :emo:EXTREEME:emo: way to go "gently caress you dad" and rebel against the system. This makes a surprising amount of sense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a9c9_story.html

One in six foreign fighters who joined ISIS were Non-Muslims who converted and joined almost immediately. It's pretty obvious the allure has poo poo to do with how much of a Muslim you are.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That koran for dummies thing is straight up four lions type stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew-SrlQ9tlI

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

I've watched this movie a million times and I've followed Middle East news daily for years, and the similarities are absurd sometimes. The people who made that movie really knew their poo poo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Jippa posted:

The best documentary about terrorists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

We should redirect these people to healthier alternatives, such as becoming a shitposting waste of space on 4chan or something awful.

I'm pretty sure many of them actually are shitposting wastes of time. They had a large social network presence and some skilled image manipulators for their propaganda movies. Like there were these western convert jihadists in Iraq that were complaining that they wanted to go back home because it was hard to recharge their iPhones when you're in a ruined city with no power.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty sure many of them actually are shitposting wastes of time. They had a large social network presence and some skilled image manipulators for their propaganda movies. Like there were these western convert jihadists in Iraq that were complaining that they wanted to go back home because it was hard to recharge their iPhones when you're in a ruined city with no power.

It was really funny seeing the difference between how ISIS recruited westerners vs how it recruited people domestically in Iraq and Syria. They would have certain westerners who were fighting for them run twitter accounts targeted at westerners, where they would post pictures of them chilling out eating lays potato chips and things like that to try and convince people that life in the caliphate was totally normal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

Red Army Facions members complained that there were no Coke vending machines in Palestinian training camps. The more things change, the more they are the same.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

"armchair terrorist encounters reality" should be a sitcom.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Well, it seems like the police in Belgium is completely inept. If we were still dealing with communist terrorist I would have been 100% sure that the KGB has infiltrated them to silly degrees, but at least now we can be sure that it's just ineptitude.

https://twitter.com/SpiegelPeter/status/713321863167008768

quote:

Police in Mechelen, just north of Brussels, failed to pass on information that could have led police to Salah Abdeslam from Brussels authorities for several months, the local chief of police said Friday.

“Unfortunately, a mistake has been made within my team,” Yves Bogaerts told a news conference. “(A) colleague … forgot to pass on the information of the dossier.”

“No information was deliberately withheld,” he said.

http://www.politico.eu/article/local-police-had-abdeslam-information-for-3-months-didnt-tell-brussels/

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

blowfish posted:

Funny how nobody said "if only his energy has been redirected in a more positive direction" about Dylan Roof, who IIRC killed something like 1/5th the innocent people.

I say killing innocent people erases the "awe poor guy" chalk board even retroactively, but that's just me.

DarkCrawler posted:

What in particular, in any way or form, led you to believe that was a serious post pitying terrorists?

Autism i guess... :goonsay: Also i wouldnt put it past D&D.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 25, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Funny how nobody said "if only his energy has been redirected in a more positive direction" about Dylan Roof, who IIRC killed something like 1/5th the innocent people.

I say killing innocent people erases the "awe poor guy" chalk board even retroactively, but that's just me.

What in particular, in any way or form, led you to believe that was a serious post pitying terrorists?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 25, 2016

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
More poo poo going down.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's a 1969 privacy and anti-police-overreach law. There actually are some overrides built in, but "suspicion of harboring terrorists" doesn't seem to make the cut.

I hope this leads to some reforms to that law. That's crazy restrictive when there's actual terrorists running around

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/OnlineMagazin/status/713374853978583040

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

I hope this leads to some reforms to that law. That's crazy restrictive when there's actual terrorists running around

There is a LOT of the belgian security apparatus that needs to be reformed. This is one of them but there are sadly far more structural changes that need to happen and it'll be difficult because they involve changing the culture of these organisations.

quote:

http://europe.newsweek.com/isis-brussels-belgium-bureaucrats-terrorism-islamic-state-europe-paris-440658

As the world sends its sympathy to the victims of the recent terror attacks in Brussels, the most fervent prayer to be uttered for Belgium itself is that it finally wakes up. The incompetent Belgian government, its bureaucratic law enforcement agencies and its half-hearted intelligence services deserve as much blame for the slaughter as the murderers.

For more than a decade, the bumblers in Belgium have stood by as terrorist hotbeds emerged in their midst. Speaking to Newsweek on condition of anonymity, frustrated intelligence officers in other European countries slammed the Belgians, saying that they have failed to do the basic legwork to detect terrorist cells in neighborhoods around Brussels, with their efforts instead focused on groups that all but announce themselves, such as Sharia4Belgium, whose leaders were prosecuted last year. Belgian law enforcement has few contacts or informants in the areas around Brussels where terrorists live. Only in the last few months has Belgium started pumping greater funding to intelligence efforts and to recruiting more personnel.

quote:

Belgium is a federal state and a bilingual country, which has contributed to a paralytic incompetence of its government. Officials who speak French distrust those who speak Flemish. This leaves the Dutch-speaking areas of the north in frequent, disorganized conflict with the French speakers in the south that creates patchwork layers of bureaucracy and competing police agencies that undermine law enforcement and security efforts. (The capital of Brussels has six different police agencies.) Because of this extreme decentralization, Belgian investigators are renowned for not communicating with colleagues in other agencies and locations. Such disorganization allows terrorists to organize without detection.

quote:

The lack of cooperation in Belgium extends to its allies as well. An American intelligence officer who spoke on condition of anonymity told Newsweek that it is not only difficult to obtain cooperation from the Belgians, often it is a battle to even figure out which of the many agencies at odds with each other actually has the information being sought. Indeed, in what this officer described as a result of misplaced pride or embarrassment, the Belgians refused to meet with American government officials seeking information about the investigation in Brussels in the aftermath of the Paris attacks.

quote:

Peaceful Muslims in Molenbeek who speak to journalists, much less law enforcement, are subjected to the same kinds of threats to them and their families that turn up in gang-infested neighborhoods in the United States. Not that anyone needs threats to keep quiet; talking to the police can be pointless. Law enforcement even shrugs when evidence of potential terrorists comes in over the transom; one Molenbeek mother interviewed by CNN who attempted to turn in her son to the police before he traveled to Syria to join ISIS says law enforcement simply showed her the door, mumbling they were powerless to do anything. That man, who easily could have returned to join in a terrorist attack, was killed in Syria.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm starting to think these attacks may have been preventable, if Belgian authorities weren't incompetent as gently caress.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wiki:

quote:

The 19 municipalities (communes) of the Brussels-Capital Region are political subdivisions with individual responsibilities for the handling of local level duties, such as law enforcement and the upkeep of schools and roads within its borders.

:psyduck: can someone from Belgium explain how the hell that works out in practice

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DarkCrawler posted:

Wiki:

:psyduck: can someone from Belgium explain how the hell that works out in practice

The same way it works in the US, where policing is also local?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Doesn't the existence of the FBI cover the biggest problems of local policing? Anything similar to that in Belgium?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

botany posted:

The same way it works in the US, where policing is also local?

Do individual neighborhoods in US cities administer this stuff on their own? I thought NYPD and LAPD are...New York City and Los Angeles police forces. We are talking about a city of 1.6 million, much smaller then either.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Municipal police deals with misdemeanors, street patrols and petty stuff like that. Federal / state / criminal police is for serious investigative work. That's how police works pretty much everywhere in the world.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

Municipal police deals with misdemeanors, street patrols and petty stuff like that. Federal / state / criminal police is for serious investigative work. That's how police works pretty much everywhere in the world.

In my country the police force (including the guys who handle serious investigations) is national so yeah, that got me confused. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DarkCrawler posted:

Do individual neighborhoods in US cities administer this stuff on their own? I thought NYPD and LAPD are...New York City and Los Angeles police forces. We are talking about a city of 1.6 million, much smaller then either.

Yeah, but those are extreme cases. There are many small municipal police departments as well as county police departments that are even smaller than the average department in the Brussels.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

A bunch of people said that about Dylan Roof. They do about basically every mass shooter in the U.S.:psyduck:

And what point are you trying to make anyway? That we treat white terrorists worse than non-white ones?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-eu-35891078

More on European security incompetence in general.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DarkCrawler posted:

In my country the police force (including the guys who handle serious investigations) is national so yeah, that got me confused. :v:

Where are you from, out of curiosity?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DarkCrawler posted:

Not so much neighborhoods, but "cities" that make up the amalgamation of "the city" do. For example if you take a look at say the Phoenix Metro Area I'm pretty 99% sure that every one of those cities listed with > 10k population have their own police department/force. Many of these cities are literally right next to each other sharing a road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

blowfish posted:

"armchair terrorist encounters reality" should be a sitcom.
It pretty much is already:

quote:

26-year-old Virginia man who was taken into custody in Iraq after he purportedly deserted the Islamic State told a Kurdish TV station Thursday that he decided to escape after he grew dissatisfied during intensive religious training in Mosul.

Mohamad Khweis told Kurdistan 24 that his life under the Islamic State in Mosul was a “very strict” regimen of prayer, eating and eight hours of daily instruction in religion and sharia law. He said he soon came to realize that “I didn’t really support their ideology.”

Khweis said he stayed only about a month, then reached out to someone who could help him make his way toward Turkey. He said he planned eventually to return to the United States.

“It was pretty hard to live in Mosul,” he said. “It’s not like the Western countries, you know, it’s very strict. There’s no smoking. I found it hard for everyone there.”
Might be anotehr person, might be the same guy as above:

quote:

A source in the Peshmerga forces announced on Monday, that the Kurdish forces were able to arrest one of ISIS members in the district of Sinjar, on his way back to Turkey.

The source said in a statement followed by IraqiNews.com, “The Peshmerga forces arrested an ISIS member who seems to be a citizen of the United Stated,” adding that, “The detainee was identified as 27-year-old Muhammad Jamal Amin from the US state of Virginia.”

The source added, “The arrested ISIS fighter was intending to escape to Turkey but handed himself over to the Kurdish forces after they opened fire on him near the frontline in Golat village,” indicating that, “The arrested man had mistaken Peshmerga territory for the Turkish border.”
There's lots of stories like this, flipping between comedy and horror:

quote:

Dozens of ISIS defectors have told of how would-be jihadis are lining up to leave the terror group, a new report reveals. The 58 deserters - 51 men and seven women - claimed ISIS followers have grown tired of the bloody executions, special treatment given to foreigners, and the broken promises of money and glory.

Among them are a jihadi bride whose husband was murdered by his fellow fighters, an Indonesian man who spent more time reading the Koran than fighting against 'infidels' and an Indian convert who was made to scrub toilets in Syria. Almost two-thirds of these defections took place this year and that number is growing, the report's authors claim.

The landmark report by The International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation and Political Violence (ICSR), who analysed interviews with defectors since January 2014, shatters the group's self-proclaimed image of an Islamic 'utopia'. In a sign of ISIS's global recruitment strategy, defectors came from 17 different countries - with two from Britain.

Many of them were appalled at the senseless executions of innocent people. They claimed ISIS fanatics killed hostages 'at random', tortured villagers who lived under their command and even executed its own fighters.

Farrukh Sharifov, who was once one of 300 Tajikstan-nationals to be fighting with ISIS, also testified to the brutality and cruelty in ISIS territory. He told Azadlig Radio how many of his fellow militants were senselessly executed for being 'spies' without a trial or evidence.

Despite deserters' outrage at such barbarism, ICSR notes that most people were shocked by the violence against other Sunni Muslims, and not 'non-believers'. The defectors who joined for 'selfish reasons' became frustrated when they realised none of the luxury goods, cars and houses they had been promised would ever materialise.

Jamolbee Khamidova's husband sneaked her into Syria after he was promised a life of luxury, wealth and high status. He told her she could 'leave any time she wanted'. Last month, she told the BBC how they were made to wear gloves and a veil whenever they left their bare homes, laughing was forbidden and they barely washed due to the scarcity of clean water. She said: 'The children were often sick and there were no doctors or pharmacies. The men could hit you if you went out without a veil.'

Her husband would disappear for weeks at a time and when he returned, she could barely recognise the pale, thin and bloody ISIS fighter standing before her. One day, he was 'taken away' by two Saudi extremists. Khamidova said she 'did not have the strength to even cry' when two men returned to show her a picture of her husband's corpse.

Ahmad Junaedi, 31, left his four children and job as a meatball vendor in Indonesia to join ISIS in March 2014. He told the Jakarta Post how an ISIS commander promised to pay off all his debt and said he would receive 'large sums of money' but his salary was just under £30-a-month. He said: 'We then spent 24 days at a camp filled with only Indonesians and we were introduced to weapons, taught Islamic doctrine and encouraged to have morning jogs.' Junaedi and 11 other Indonesians rotated spending two-hours a day guarding their post in Al-Bab, Syria, with an AK47 rifle.

They spent the rest of the day reading the Koran, cleaning the house they lived in or trying to contact their families back home. Those who were attracted by the idea of adventure, brotherhood and glory on the battlefield were left equally disappointed - and some even complained that foreigners were used as 'cannon fodder'. Another common factor which inspired once-loyal Islamists to defect was corruption. Many supporters of ISIS criticised the privileges given to foreigners over Middle-Eastern fighters.

In November, a defector from India, Areeb Majeed, 23, said 'racist' ISIS leaders forced him to clean toilets in Iraq, the Times of India reported. He revealed how he was 'sidelined' from any fighting by commanders who 'completely ignored' him and instead, made to carry out menial tasks such as bringing water to injured fighters. Majeed left for Iraq in May 2014 and was brought back to India by Indian security agencies and arrested by National Investigation Agency in November.
I cut out a couple of the really depressing ones.

Oh and the award for "most unlikely-looking ISIL member" goes to:
https://twitter.com/Furiouskurd/status/702237156526465025

quote:

Kurdish forces have rescued a 16-year-old Swedish girl from ISIS in northern Iraq, according to regional Kurdish authorities.
Kurdish special forces came to the aid of the girl, named Marlin Stivani Nivarlain, near the ISIS-held city of Mosul on Wednesday, said a statement by the Kurdistan Region Security Council.

The statement did not say how long ISIS had held the girl.
The teen is from Boras, about 405 kilometers (250 miles) southwest of Stockholm, the Swedish capital.
According to the statement from Kurdish authorities, Nivarlain "was misled by an ISIL member in Sweden to travel to Syria and later to Mosul." ISIL is another acronym for ISIS.
Members of her family, along with Swedish authorities, asked for Kurdish help in rescuing her, the statement said.
"She is currently in the Kurdistan Region and is provided the care afforded to her under international law," the statement said. "She will be transferred to Swedish authorities to return home once necessary arrangements are put (in) place."
She was/is apparently pregnant from her time in Mosul.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 25, 2016

• Locked thread