Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well the Framemeister showed up in the mail today, 3 weeks ahead of when I was expecting it. Granted I can't do anything with it yet, because the SCART cables won't even be ready until the end of the month. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats on your very expensive paperweight! :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can use it as a composite/s-video upscaler until those arrive, it'll probably do a better job that your TV.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Elliotw2 posted:

You can use it as a composite/s-video upscaler until those arrive, it'll probably do a better job that your TV.
That's a thought... I've got a bunch of consoles running Composite through a switch box; I could feed the switch box to the Framemeister, it wouldn't even take that much re-wiring. I didn't even consider using the Framemeister for composite video, it's not what I bought it for. :v:
I tried to get everything ordered and set in motion so it would all arrive around the same time, I really didn't expect the upscaler to arrive this quickly.

Testing Composite through it will at least let me check if the thing works properly, rather than sitting on it for 3 weeks waiting for the SCART cables to show up, only to find out I bought a lemon. :suicide:

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
While you're waiting check out these pre made system specific profiles for the framemeister. Very helpful and updated very frequently.

http://www.firebrandx.com/pixelpurist.html

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

beaver_cheese posted:

While you're waiting check out these pre made system specific profiles for the framemeister. Very helpful and updated very frequently.

quote:

My first attempt to improve my own visual gaming experience was to toss out the RF modulator that came packaged with my NES and instead use the A/V composite ports on the side of the console. We had never tried this before, and I remember my brother being seriously concerned that using them might 'fry' his VCR. It can be laughed about now, but back then, being tech-savvy was exceptionally rare.

"Heh, I was the only technically proficient person in 1989." :smug:

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Xenomrph posted:

That's a thought... I've got a bunch of consoles running Composite through a switch box; I could feed the switch box to the Framemeister, it wouldn't even take that much re-wiring. I didn't even consider using the Framemeister for composite video, it's not what I bought it for. :v:
I tried to get everything ordered and set in motion so it would all arrive around the same time, I really didn't expect the upscaler to arrive this quickly.

Testing Composite through it will at least let me check if the thing works properly, rather than sitting on it for 3 weeks waiting for the SCART cables to show up, only to find out I bought a lemon. :suicide:

I think upscaled composite on the Framemeister looks great. I sometimes even think I prefer composite for NES.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

"Heh, I was the only technically proficient person in 1989." :smug:

That said there were a disturbing number of jokes that amounted to "I'm the smartest person in the world yet I can't program the clock on my VCR."

Oddly enough there was a serious concern that hooking anything but a VCR to your TV would damage it or some poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

beaver_cheese posted:

Can I actually go into the Framemeister and set up system profiles without the physical consoles connected to it?

And perhaps more importantly, are there English user manuals available online for the Framemeister?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

beaver_cheese posted:

If you've got a lot of scart cables you might want to look into one of these switches. They seem really well built. I can't wait for mine.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/gscartsw-automatic-8-1-scart-rgb-switch.52513/

The pre order is over but it sounds like they're going to have extras for sale after the pre orders are dealt with. The advice is to just keep checking back into the thread for more updates.

why can't these nerds bother to design their boards for an actual case instead of wedging it between two pieces of acrylic and calling it a day.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

why can't these nerds bother to design their boards for an actual case instead of wedging it between two pieces of acrylic and calling it a day.

because when it starts accumulating dust their mom will just clean it

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Xenomrph posted:

Can I actually go into the Framemeister and set up system profiles without the physical consoles connected to it?

And perhaps more importantly, are there English user manuals available online for the Framemeister?

Yup you can load all the profiles needed without anything hooked up. They're just optimized presets that you can then select when you plug in a console.

Not sure about English manual, but here's some info on how to change the menu to English if you haven't already. Also Firmware update if yours doesn't have the latest one already installed. Just make sure you're getting the English version.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-mini_FRAMEMEISTER

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm playing Super Mario World on my 3DS (which I only ever did in emulation before, since I never owned a SNES [because I spent a lot of the 90s being poor]) and I'm finding it frustrating. In SMB3, I feel like I've got control for days, I can stop on a dime and land on a platform the size of a pixel. In SMW, it's like playing SMB2 with Luigi, everything feels floaty, and I keep falling in holes, even when the platforms there are massively wide, or dying because I'll jump on an enemy once (of the two or three times needed to eliminate it) and I'll bump into it trying to come down on it the second time. Or like the koopas in the capes, I'll hop right over the one I want to jump on for the feather and miss completely, then run backwards to chase it and just flat-out run into it on the way down and die. I don't even know what the problem is.

I know I'm bad at Mario games, but I'm not incompetent, which is what this game is making me feel. Is the emulation hosed up, is SMW just that much different from other SMB games, or do I just suck?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Probably because they designed it entirely for themselves and then just got lazy when people started wanting to pay for it.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I have the same problem going from SMW to SMB3, I have excellent control of Mario in World but gently caress up all the time in 3, which feels more like molasses. I guess the algorithms for acceleration and stuff in jumping are quite different.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It makes me wonder if some sperg has hashed out the physics of each Mario game like the Sonic weirdos have for 1-3&K. (And yes, I know the half A press SM64 guy has definitely hashed out the physics for THAT game. :stare:)

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey everyone, I have no experience with this and have a literal 0% understanding, but I have a question.

I recently got a Dreamcast (refurbished from a local repair shop) because I wanted to see how horrible or great Shenmue is, but about 3 out of 5 times I'd restart my Dreamcast it would ask for the date and time. I looked it up, said it was the internal battery. However, after opening mine up, it says the internal battery is "rechargeable" so it led me to believe that maybe it has some way of recharging it and the 2 out of 5 times, it was charged a little bit. Should I still go about replacing it or did the person before me already cover this? Do I "recharge" it by leaving my Dreamcast on?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey everyone, I have no experience with this and have a literal 0% understanding, but I have a question.

I recently got a Dreamcast (refurbished from a local repair shop) because I wanted to see how horrible or great Shenmue is, but about 3 out of 5 times I'd restart my Dreamcast it would ask for the date and time. I looked it up, said it was the internal battery. However, after opening mine up, it says the internal battery is "rechargeable" so it led me to believe that maybe it has some way of recharging it and the 2 out of 5 times, it was charged a little bit. Should I still go about replacing it or did the person before me already cover this? Do I "recharge" it by leaving my Dreamcast on?

Yeah, the battery gets charged by simply playing on the Dreamcast though there are situations where the battery could be straight up dead and won't hold any charge.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dreamcast+CMOS+Battery+Replacement/5020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nevermind, listen to the post above mine!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I have the same problem going from SMW to SMB3, I have excellent control of Mario in World but gently caress up all the time in 3, which feels more like molasses. I guess the algorithms for acceleration and stuff in jumping are quite different.

Well, this makes me feel a bit better. I'll just have to put in more hours.

In other news, loving ghost houses. Looking for secret exits is killing me because I just flat-out can't figure the poo poo out.

Also gently caress the cape, literally the worst option for flying ever created.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah, the battery gets charged by simply playing on the Dreamcast though there are situations where the battery could be straight up dead and won't hold any charge.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dreamcast+CMOS+Battery+Replacement/5020

Do not straight up replace the battery with a CR2032 as there is a charging circuit which can cause the battery to explode.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

Allen Wren posted:

Also gently caress the cape, literally the worst option for flying ever created.

:eyepop: Look at how wrong you are.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

flyboi posted:

Do not straight up replace the battery with a CR2032 as there is a charging circuit which can cause the battery to explode.

Good call, I didn't check the parts link and it's dead anyway.

You want to use ML2430.

Edit: ML2430-VS1 is the drop-in replacement that already has the vertical mount if you don't want to bother with a battery holder.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 27, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Allen Wren posted:

It totally trivializes like half the stages so I guess it's the worst in that respect but I don't think this is what you were saying

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, I feel like the designers intended for you not to make gains to height but Miyamoto probably came along and said "that's not fun" so you can totally fly through an entire stage without ever touching the ground.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

It totally trivializes like half the stages so I guess it's the worst in that respect but I don't think this is what you were saying

what I'm saying is that I can't control it and I run into things way more than I want to.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think I found the problem with my haunted thrift store snes. Cleaning the cartridge connector contacts let some games get further. In Mario All Stars I can get into SMB3, but it crashes when trying to load the world. SMB and SMB2 freeze before loading the title screen. gently caress lost levels. Batman Forever loads through the title screen, but I didn't attempt anything past that. Starfox and Pilotwings still don't boot, and SMW still exhibits the same behavior of "nintendo presents" followed by just the sound.

One of the contacts to the board looks messed up.

There was a lot of green corrosion on it, but I got that off. Now there's just what looks like rust. Not sure how to clean it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That might be a bit past cleaning, though you might be able to stick a wire and bypass the busted part of that pin if you need this SNES to work. It'll need replaced eventually though, and replacing an SNES cart slot can be a lot of work and you look like you have the more complicated version.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

That might be a bit past cleaning, though you might be able to stick a wire and bypass the busted part of that pin if you need this SNES to work. It'll need replaced eventually though, and replacing an SNES cart slot can be a lot of work and you look like you have the more complicated version.

I have an rgb modded mini, so this was just extra. Oh well. Thanks for the input!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Hm, the wedding is all taken care of, maybe I'll grab a Framemeister. I'm sure the wife will understand when I show her Yoshi's Island on HDMI :v: In seriousness, I can't wait to get one. When I do, I may get rid of my Triniton if anyone is interested. It's a great CRT with a beautiful picture.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Oh thank god I'm not alone on this. Especially how SMB3 changes the jumping on invincibility. I guess it's a question of which one you grew up with. I am also one of those cape feather loving freaks, once you get over the learning curve on it. The weakest of the flying power ups though is the bunny ears from Super Mario Land 2.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'm now part of the Spice Boys

Thanks to Kthulu5000 for sourcing a 32pin GBA. Clear buttons came from Kitsch-Bent.

Edit: Should mention that this was the final project my Dremel worked on. It died toward the end of cutting the plastic for the screen. :unsmith:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 28, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm now part of the Spice Boys

Thanks to Kthulu5000 for sourcing a 32pin GBA. Clear buttons came from Kitsch-Bent.

Edit: Should mention that this was the final project my Dremel worked on. It died toward the end of cutting the plastic for the screen. :unsmith:

Welcome to the club! Looks great.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I doubt I'd get one anytime soon, but was the Neo Geo X good?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iHoOK5HCHA

not especially

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I recall that it was lackluster so far as build quality went, and it doesn't appear to be compatible with real cartridges.

From Wikipedia: "The console uses the FB Alpha emulator running on a Linux-based operating system to play ROM images of Neo Geo games."

You'd be as well off using an HTPC to emulate Neo Geo stuff, really.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

They released a firmware update to fix some of the issues seen here, such as the abysmal image and sound quality through HDMI and the lack of a save feature in games like Magician Lord, but it's still disappointing and you shouldn't get one.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I recall that it was lackluster so far as build quality went, and it doesn't appear to be compatible with real cartridges.
Being compatible with real carts would be pretty tough considering the fact the thing that looks like the old AES is just a docking station for the actual Neo Geo X handheld. You don't even plug that into the cartridge slot, which would at least have been amusing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm going to Japan in October with a friend of mine and we're in the middle of planning out the trip, not really looking to do much shopping aside from some stuff from MAK, G-Front etc. But if anyone who's been there can recommend good arcades I'd love to know about them. We'll be all over the country so it doesn't have to be limited to the Tokyo area. More interested in older games of course, so if there are places that specialize in them I'd love to check em out. Already definitely going to HEY and Ebi-sen.

e: though if you know of some shops that miraculously haven't been picked over by the vultures already I'd love to know about it, but I know it's highly unlikely in 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't really know if this counts as 'retro' and honestly I'm not sure how old it actually is(I'm assuming fairly old judging by how at the start of each level it has a "loading music" screen and each music file is around 100 kilobytes-I found people on facebook talking about glitches from 2005, so it's at least over a decade old), but recently I decided to look up this game that was on a lot of flash websites I used to play with my friends back in... I think middleschool? Anyway, most of that stuff from my childhood turns out to be crap but I was shocked at how much fun it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HzBYi0TI_Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Takadanobaba Mikado! A-cho in Kyoto is another good spot.

As for stores, BEEP is the new hotness for obscure bullshit that you won't/can't buy but will dig looking at: http://www.beep-shop.com/

• Locked thread