Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
holy poo poo the dungeon area below the prison I just died 5 times to either the surprise basilisks or that goddamn mimic grab attack

the game is so great. I'm missing out on all the online features because I don't have ps+, but I can't wait for my second playthrough on PC (and actually understand all the lore and what items I'm picking up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Yup (boss that's at least 6/18 bosses into the game spoiler) it's in the item description, Google Translate app's good enough: give it the L2 charge until it really roars then use an attack while holding L2

Ahh, I tried using regular Arts but it did nothing. No idea you had to charge it.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

MrLonghair posted:

poo poo. How do I reach it? Got flash sweat and the lot. Got the path to that lower smaller lavapit that's behind a secret wall and all, it's that one treasure left for me to get in there, farthest away. Need accelerated running or smth.

You just run for it and stop to drink a flask whenever your health gets low.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Alabaster White posted:

Turns out Hollow weapons don't only scale with luck, but actually give you a nice bonus to it as well. Carrying around a Hollow weapon + crushing gold coins + wearing the Gold Serpent Ring(?) + wearing the mimic hat should make farming a breeze, assuming luck effects stack.

Oh I like that they brought this back from DS2. Probably spent more time as a hollow running around in hollow rags than anything else just so I'd get more random drops.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Pro-tip: Need to kill an NPC in the Shrine? Got trouble getting it done? Lead them up to the elevator and try to coax them into the elevator pit. If they follow you up, try something that knocks them back. If you cannot bring them into the shrine entrance, it's easy to cheese them at the main entrance.

Pro-tip 2: Did a miracle vendor disappear on you and her angry friend waits by the Iudex gate? Kill that guy.. and she's at the side of the gate! I noticed only now post-endboss :downs:

superh posted:

You just run for it and stop to drink a flask whenever your health gets low.

And I never thought about this. That item will make a great utility-piece for those who want to cast everything with just a single item, 4 STR, 16 INT, 20 FTH required. Not that hot MagReinf compared to other items but I might keep it.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 29, 2016

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I did a quick test of sorcery damage. Heavy soul arrow, on a hollow right outside firelink.

16 int, +0 staff: 185 damage
16 int, +1 staff: 185 damage
17 int, +0 staff: 185 damage
17 int, +1 staff: 185 damage

So yeah, problems.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I did a quick test of sorcery damage. Heavy soul arrow, on a hollow right outside firelink.

16 int, +0 staff: 185 damage
16 int, +1 staff: 185 damage
17 int, +0 staff: 185 damage
17 int, +1 staff: 185 damage

So yeah, problems.

Now, raise FAI and see if the theory about FAI and INT being switched are true.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

https://youtu.be/GNLDZLQTHnE?t=42s

Found my weaponfu

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Now, raise FAI and see if the theory about FAI and INT being switched are true.
Just tried raising faith from 7 to 8. Still 185. I don't think that theory has any grounding. It looks to me like nothing at all is effecting spell damage. You do base damage all the time, no matter what your catalyst or stats are.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Yeah, seemed like a stretch to me as well. Oh well.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This would all be really easy to test at the respec lady

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just tried raising faith from 7 to 8. Still 185. I don't think that theory has any grounding. It looks to me like nothing at all is effecting spell damage. You do base damage all the time, no matter what your catalyst or stats are.

Dafuq is going on lol.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Dafuq is going on lol.
It has to be bugged. Hopefully they'll have a patch ready for the international release. The way things are now it looks like pyromancy is the only worthwhile damaging spellcasting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really curious how they handle pyromancy scaling, given that it apparently soft-caps at 40/40 just like normal quality scaling. It already seems really drat strong, from what I've seen in videos, even at like 25/25 or 30/30. A full-on 40/40 pyro build seems like it would absolutely melt things, plus you'd have the stats to scale every kind of elementally-infused weapon possible.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Sorcery when it begins to scale for the release on the 12th (HOW DID THEY NOT FIX THIS BEFORE RELEASE HOW DID IT GO GOLD LIKE THIS) will be a good time to begin a 99INT sorc build.'

Also you early players not making alts are missing out on mastering bodying of bosses, the first lord of cinder can only ruin me if I'm careless in the first phase now, lv29. The Souls quality replay-value I wanted. AI players are smarter than summoned players, most of them.

e: :lol: when I did it myself phase2 was cancelled, boss died immediately on it

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 29, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Concurred posted:

I love when japanese patch notes are translated and you see "phenomenon" everywhere

Laughing at how true this is.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Okay, I saw an explanation somewhere about the whole magic thing that is so loving dumb it must be true, because no one could make it up. Apparently the whole problem is that they mixed up the stats. Somehow. Meaning that upgrading FAI raises sorcery damage and raising INT upgrades miracle damage. Now this is just something I heard somewhere and I don't have the game to actually test it personally, but it's so stupid it must be true.

Trying to think if I can respec my 50 INT into FAI for now but no I need INT to meet requirements for casting things like soul spear and the lovely crystal breath spell that they kept in despite it being dumb (though it does look cool) :rip:

Also I have a +10 S-scaling non-starter staff and 50 INT so I guess I can go compare that tonight but I don't think my results will be different from anyone else's. I did obliterate some boss last night in 5 or 6 soul spears though.

Alabaster White posted:

I also found Yeorm but I can't figure out how to damage him. Anyone got a hint?

I just shot him with magic and he died. :shrug: Unless Yeorm is distinct from Yhorm.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 29, 2016

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious how they handle pyromancy scaling, given that it apparently soft-caps at 40/40 just like normal quality scaling. It already seems really drat strong, from what I've seen in videos, even at like 25/25 or 30/30. A full-on 40/40 pyro build seems like it would absolutely melt things, plus you'd have the stats to scale every kind of elementally-infused weapon possible.

Has anyone confirmed that it does scale with stats? Maybe it only scales with the glove and stats are only required to use spells, which would explain why pyro works and other magic doesn't.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I remember seeing a rough outline of all the areas in the game and how they're connected. That was posted in this thread here, right? I thought it was neat and would like to see it again, if possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meatsicle posted:

Has anyone confirmed that it does scale with stats? Maybe it only scales with the glove and stats are only required to use spells, which would explain why pyro works and other magic doesn't.

It's confirmed that it scales. Every catalyst, including the Pyromancy Flame, has a "Spell Buff" stat that scales (or is supposed to). The Pyromancy Flame's Spell Buff scales with both INT and FAI and seems to have an effect on pyromancies. It seems to actually work, too, or at least the Spell Buff number goes up as your INT/FAI do.

I mean, maybe that's a bug, too, maybe they switched how sorcery and pyromancy works, I dunno, but that's what it looked like. Granted, I'm not playing and only saw that on a stream.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 29, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Oenis posted:

I remember seeing a rough outline of all the areas in the game and how they're connected. That was posted in this thread here, right? I thought it was neat and would like to see it again, if possible.

Lots and lots of elevators

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

I'll test it out in an hour or so. Should be able to get you some results.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

turtlecrunch posted:

I just shot him with magic and he died. :shrug: Unless Yeorm is distinct from Yhorm.

His legs are super resistant to damage so melee players have to either attack his arms until he falls over for a visceral or just use the storm ruler to kill him in 6 shots.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

lets hang out posted:

His legs are super resistant to damage so melee players have to either attack his arms until he falls over for a visceral or just use the storm ruler to kill him in 6 shots.

Haha... :smug:

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Nevermind, I found it.

flowchart of all the areas:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I look forward to the day when we know all the storylines and how to treat characters for real, with a full checklist. Hope I'm not missing out on some miracle with whatever I just.. :psyduck:

From what I know it was a damned if I do damned if I don't situation. At least the game provides surprises. Fantastic poo poo. Wish I could be one of the blacked out people getting a 100% fresh experience on the 12th.

e: must be that you cannot finish all questlines in the same playthrough, they interfere, someone has to get hosed. My Faithchara has 13STR 13DEX for the highlord Sword which has its handy R2 special. Time to sunbro some tens of levels of souls.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 29, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I don't think I have completed/advanced a single storyline with any NPC beyond meeting them for the first time, and I sure haven't met them all either. Second playthrough coming soon I hope...

e: Actually that's not true, I did get Yoel killed for some reason and then some new person took his place and hasn't said anything different since almost the beginning of the game except to tell me that Anri is my husbando, except I haven't seen Anri in years so :shrug:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

It has to be bugged. Hopefully they'll have a patch ready for the international release. The way things are now it looks like pyromancy is the only worthwhile damaging spellcasting.

I'm still just a bit flabbergasted. How in gently caress hell do you miss something like this in QA?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'm still just a bit flabbergasted. How in gently caress hell do you miss something like this in QA?

That's sort of why I'm not 100% convinced it's bugged. I can't think of any other explanation, but it just seems too glaring to be a bug/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Oenis posted:

Nevermind, I found it.

flowchart of all the areas:

It's sad that there are no large loops like in DS1 or Bloodborne. While the world makes more sense and is more compact than DS2, it's still the same tree structure.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I guess I'm less disappointed about that because the areas themselves are very dense and the interior paths are tightly interwoven, and you can still see Ash Lake from Tomb of the Giants, the forest from the town/bridges above, etc. Realizing that the giant monolithic city you see in the distance sometimes is a place you can actually go and not just a matte is satisfying...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

lets hang out posted:

it's pretty dang cool that FROM gives you a way to take him on without the Storm Ruler; a giant that actually feels like you're fighting a giant :cool:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Okay. Some pyro tests. Fire orb, hollow outside firelink.

+0 hand, 15 int, 14 fai - 114
+0 hand, 15 int, 14 fai + pyromancer starter ring (don't know the name) - 137.
+0 hand, 15 int, 14 fai + fire clutch ring - 132.
+0 hand, 15 int, 14 fai + both rings - 158.

The rings certainly seem to do their jobs. All tests from here on are done with both rings.

+0 hand, 16 int, 14 fai - 162
+0 hand, 16 int, 15 fai - 162
+1 hand, 16 int, 15 fai - 164
+2 hand, 16 int, 15 fai - 165
+2 hand, 16 int, 16 fai - 165
+2 hand, 17 int, 16 fai - 168

As best as I can tell, faith doesn't appear to be helping pyromancy. Int does. Upgrading the hand does too, but in these tests the hand upgrade was a much smaller bonus than I was expecting.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Harrow posted:

That's sort of why I'm not 100% convinced it's bugged. I can't think of any other explanation, but it just seems too glaring to be a bug/
Reasons to believe otherwise:
  • Cracked Talisman of Beasts and Unholy Weapon in Demon's, Power Within in Dark, almost identical issues and well-known.
  • Raw weapons being bad in the first games and then made inferior to base stats to use every weapon in Dark 2.
  • Pure Bladestone and the Lizard Staff.
  • Dark 3 clearly has the same jump physics as prepatch Bloodborne which almost certainly will lead to identical sequence breaks as the coffin skip.
There is every reason to think From just fucks up sometimes and makes the same sorts of mistakes.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Dark Souls 2 is the only Souls game that they put out that didn't have strange, catastrophic problems on release.

Remember how broken every number in Dark Souls 1 was? Scaling didn't work, everything gave 66% as much souls as they do now, there were like a fourth of the number of Humanities in the game, you could only buy arrows from very specific vendors, the online didn't work, the online got patched to work briefly and then broken again, the DWGR worked by having your equip load under 50%, a dress had the best defensive stats out of any leg option piece of equipment, the Hollow Soldier Shield was the best shield in the game and had like 84 Stability when fully upgraded.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dresses rule

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I do not deny it. It was a very stylish dress

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the only Souls game that they put out that didn't have strange, catastrophic problems on release.

Remember how broken every number in Dark Souls 1 was? Scaling didn't work, everything gave 66% as much souls as they do now, there were like a fourth of the number of Humanities in the game, you could only buy arrows from very specific vendors, the online didn't work, the online got patched to work briefly and then broken again, the DWGR worked by having your equip load under 50%, a dress had the best defensive stats out of any leg option piece of equipment, the Hollow Soldier Shield was the best shield in the game and had like 84 Stability when fully upgraded.

Japanese beta testing is over in two weeks and by my American God they had better have sorted this poo poo out by then.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Nakar posted:

Lizard Staff

Don't trigger me please.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

turtlecrunch posted:

Don't trigger me please.
I farmed a Pure Bladestone, no drops can hurt me.

But seriously gently caress the Lizard Staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Confirmation that more things than enemy HP + damage changes with NG+ , new late boss weapon: https://imgur.com/a/dMHuv

• Locked thread