Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the other hand Marc Webb (director of Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2) went back to producing/directing TV shows these last few years and has only just gotten back into film direction. He's got a film called Gifted about a man fighting for custody of his niece starring Chris Evans coming out later this year, I'd be surprised if the budget was a tenth of either of the Amazing Spider-Man films.

Personally, I'd love to see a family drama with a $220 million budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

The best I can offer is a $100m romantic comedy drama and a $90m rom com. They're both awful!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm excited for the new Mel Gibson movie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

McSpanky posted:

That Arrested Development film never worked out did it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

I haven't heard any rumours yet but Marvel and Fox have managed to repair some burnt bridges lately (they're co-producing the Hellfire TV series) so anything's possible.

I just assume that Fox will give up and give Marvel the film rights to the FF eventually, I can't imagine them trying to reboot the franchise again on their end or do a sequel. I mean, if your options are make a movie just to keep the rights (which I think was a factor in the latest bad FF movie) and almost certainly eat a significant loss on the movie in every way (critically, financially, prestige of the studio), or work out a deal that gives the rights back to Marvel and gets you either an immediate payday or a percentage of the movies they make that involve the FF (kind of inverting the license deal, which I think is basically what Sony did with Spider-man), then I'd go with the latter every day of the week. I mean it's Marvel studios, they'd work out a way to do a FF movie that's at least at the Ironman 2 level, which would be a marked improvement over every other FF movie so far, and probably more important to them you'd get access to Galactus, Dr. Doom, and the Silver Surfer who could all be potential enemies in the Avengers movie after Infinity War. It's not like they're going to stop making Avengers movies then no matter what, it'd take Infinity War 1 and 2 absolutely tanking at the box office and I don't see how that's possible. At best we'll hit Avenger fatigue in the movie after Infinity War, and I think it'll take substantially longer than that even.

Meanwhile Fox keeps cranking out successes and is generally following the Marvel shared universe blueprint well enough that it's hard to imagine them and Marvel getting on the same page for my dream Avengers vs X-men movie, though at the same time what a climax it would be if all this slow grind towards the present in the recent X-men universe (aside from Deadpool) culminated in a massive crossover. I really wish it was as simple as "60/40 split, cool now lets throw 30 characters at each other and make $2 billion."

Anyway don't mind me, just going off about comic book movies as usual. Deadpool still rocks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NowonSA posted:

I just assume that Fox will give up and give Marvel the film rights to the FF eventually, I can't imagine them trying to reboot the franchise again on their end or do a sequel. I mean, if your options are make a movie just to keep the rights (which I think was a factor in the latest bad FF movie) and almost certainly eat a significant loss on the movie in every way (critically, financially, prestige of the studio), or work out a deal that gives the rights back to Marvel and gets you either an immediate payday or a percentage of the movies they make that involve the FF (kind of inverting the license deal, which I think is basically what Sony did with Spider-man), then I'd go with the latter every day of the week.

Option C: hold onto the rights for a while on the cheap

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fox won't even have to make a decision for a few years, they can just shove it into the "too hard" basket for a while and let it simmer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Hacksaw Ridge is also Mel Gibson directing a movie in which people are killed. He seems to be really good at that.

Huh? idgi

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

flosofl posted:

Huh? idgi

When you look at Braveheart, The Patriot, The Passion of the Christ, and Apocalypto, a curious pattern arises: Gibson really really really likes making historical splatter movies.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

LORD OF BUTT posted:

When you look at Braveheart, The Patriot, The Passion of the Christ, and Apocalypto, a curious pattern arises: Gibson really really really likes making historical splatter movies.

Don't forget We Were Soldiers!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Actually, on a further look he didn't direct The Patriot or We Were Soldiers, just starred in them. Huh. Guess he also had his agent looking out for other people working in the same wheelhouse.

e: We Were Soldiers is also noteworthy for turning a pretty horrific book about how hosed up the Vietnam War was into "the war was unwinnable but MAN WE LOOKED LIKE BADASSES OUT THERE." gently caress that movie.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 24, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

outside of the fabricated charge up the hill at the end I never saw them as badasses, unless you're talking about poo poo like Moore capping the VC soldier that was about to bayonet him or Plumley being Plumley. Eh, if irl Hal Moore said that they "got it right" then Wallace must've done something right

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the ASM2 actors I love this SNL skit with Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6NUQeb5noM

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

NowonSA posted:

Meanwhile Fox keeps cranking out successes and is generally following the Marvel shared universe blueprint well enough that it's hard to imagine them and Marvel getting on the same page for my dream Avengers vs X-men movie, though at the same time what a climax it would be if all this slow grind towards the present in the recent X-men universe (aside from Deadpool) culminated in a massive crossover. I really wish it was as simple as "60/40 split, cool now lets throw 30 characters at each other and make $2 billion."

Anyway don't mind me, just going off about comic book movies as usual. Deadpool still rocks.

I find it better for the X-men to be their own separate thing, I personally don't think they work very well as a wider part of the marvel universe, the themes that the movies have done a fairly good job at exploring are a lot less resonate when you have Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and others alongside them too. Like why would people be so freaked out about mutants in particular but then not really get too bothered about the rest of these jokers running around?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

khwarezm posted:

I find it better for the X-men to be their own separate thing, I personally don't think they work very well as a wider part of the marvel universe, the themes that the movies have done a fairly good job at exploring are a lot less resonate when you have Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and others alongside them too. Like why would people be so freaked out about mutants in particular but then not really get too bothered about the rest of these jokers running around?

Civil War and Agents of SHIELD seem to be demonstrating that people actually do have an issue with all of the superpowered types running around.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Polaron posted:

Civil War and Agents of SHIELD seem to be demonstrating that people actually do have an issue with all of the superpowered types running around.

I don't watch AoS but I kind of see that as a situation where the issue is that they're unaccountable to anybody but themselves, which is a legit concern with somebody like Tony Stark and all their past actions. In X-men its more irrational prejudice against an immutable characteristic. Like I don't really get much indication that Captain America is a problem because he's super strong, its more to do with him openly flouting government attempts to rein in his city wrecking adventures. One is people worried about the NSA, the other is people worried about the Gay agenda.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I haven't heard any rumours yet but Marvel and Fox have managed to repair some burnt bridges lately (they're co-producing the Hellfire TV series) so anything's possible.

Two series. The other one is Legion which is about Prof. X's son with multiple personalities and powers. Hellfire stalled because the showrunnners went to the new 24 series, but Legion already have actors announced like Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza. The Fargo TV series guy is making it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The MSJ posted:

Two series. The other one is Legion which is about Prof. X's son with multiple personalities and powers. Hellfire stalled because the showrunnners went to the new 24 series, but Legion already have actors announced like Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza. The Fargo TV series guy is making it.

Aubrey Plaza isn't playing Blindfold? Wasted casting opportunity there...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The MSJ posted:

Any relation to the Brandon Sanderson book series Legion? Where the main character has an eidetic memory and spawns imaginary friends to work with him with everything and every skill he knows?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Any relation to the Brandon Sanderson book series Legion? Where the main character has an eidetic memory and spawns imaginary friends to work with him with everything and every skill he knows?

no, unless Sanderson took inspiration from the character

Legion has been a thing in X-books since the mid 1980's

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
They're both more than likely biblical references.

(from Mark 5:9 "My name is Legion, because we are many.")

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I kind of figured that went without saying

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Heh, Amazon Prime Music just added Make It Big

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it's a smart idea of Fox to just keep the X-Men in the early 80s and 90s then that way current films can be made or whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hollismason posted:

I think it's a smart idea of Fox to just keep the X-Men in the early 80s and 90s then that way current films can be made or whatever.
Looks like 70s was DoFP.
80s is going to be Apocalypse.
90s is whatever the post-JenLaw XMovie will be.

Then thanks to TimeFuckery, 2000s gives us the OG Xflick. So by then it'll be time to reboot since you won't have the Huge JackedMan to Snikt at things anymore.

Maybe 90s Film is some House of M-Day universal reset button for the franchise. They could get JJ Abrams to direct it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
"No more mutants"

franchise ends.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Looks like 70s was DoFP.
80s is going to be Apocalypse.
90s is whatever the post-JenLaw XMovie will be.

Then thanks to TimeFuckery, 2000s gives us the OG Xflick. So by then it'll be time to reboot since you won't have the Huge JackedMan to Snikt at things anymore.

Maybe 90s Film is some House of M-Day universal reset button for the franchise. They could get JJ Abrams to direct it.

The next generation of XMen movies will be the younger generation of mutants sitting around complaining that the older generation of mutants screwed up the system and wont retire.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There is a New Mutants movie being made. Maybe that will be what's it about.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Which New Mutant is the one that idolizes the previous generation to the exclusion of the current?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

There is a New Mutants movie being made. Maybe that will be what's it about.

I look forward to seeing how they plan to handle Magik

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LGD posted:

I look forward to seeing how they plan to handle Magik

They should just go full Claremont, let's get weird.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

At this point they could just jettison the 'classic' X-Men and I'd be cool with that.

Maybe they could get Colossus back, but forget the rest. You have plenty of other options, what with NTW, Dazzler, Longshot, Banshee, Armor, Magma, poo poo there's fucktons of X-Men you could use.

(I just want to see Dazzler on the big screen :allears:)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WarLocke posted:

At this point they could just jettison the 'classic' X-Men and I'd be cool with that.

Maybe they could get Colossus back, but forget the rest. You have plenty of other options, what with NTW, Dazzler, Longshot, Banshee, Armor, Magma, poo poo there's fucktons of X-Men you could use.

(I just want to see Dazzler on the big screen :allears:)

Dazzler would fit right in with the vibe of Deadpool. Not modern, grumpy Dazzler, but early 80s roller-disco Dazzler. And yes, I know there's a run where he went back in time because present Dazzler wouldn't help him [there were REASONS] and snagged young, naive roller-disco Dazzler to fight Draculas in present time. (vampires = Draculas to DP)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

flosofl posted:

Dazzler would fit right in with the vibe of Deadpool. Not modern, grumpy Dazzler, but early 80s roller-disco Dazzler. And yes, I know there's a run where he went back in time because present Dazzler wouldn't help him [there were REASONS] and snagged young, naive roller-disco Dazzler to fight Draculas in present time. (vampires = Draculas to DP)

Dazzler in a movie would be like one of those awful anime music videos were the music makes the character super. :v:

On a serious note, converting sound to lazerbeams would actually be a loving rad power in the middle of a gunfight - lots of sound to power it then.

(Although I wouldn't object to going full camp with Dazzler belting out a power ballad while slinging light everywhere; Pat Benatar maybe :magical:)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WarLocke posted:

Dazzler in a movie would be like one of those awful anime music videos were the music makes the character super. :v:

On a serious note, converting sound to lazerbeams would actually be a loving rad power in the middle of a gunfight - lots of sound to power it then.

(Although I wouldn't object to going full camp with Dazzler belting out a power ballad while slinging light everywhere; Pat Benatar maybe :magical:)

All of this sound incredible.

Dazzler 4 President.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

WarLocke posted:

There needs to be a training montage featuring of a young Dazzler training under Meatloaf.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

M_Gargantua posted:

No Legion is Xavier's son who's power is that he has every mutant power ever. This caused so much mental stress that his mind fractured into hundreds of different personalities and each one has its own mutant power.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No Legion is Xavier's son who's power is that he has every mutant power ever. This caused so much mental stress that his mind fractured into hundreds of different personalities and each one has its own mutant power.

Does he have a different costume for each personality like Roger from American Dad?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

WarLocke posted:

She certainly hit them with her best shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Does he have a different costume for each personality like Roger from American Dad?

See, this is a movie I want to see.

• Locked thread